Fishman Public Relations

Add Photos

Brad Fishman

Never a dull day

Account Executive (Former Employee) Northbrook, IL

ProsLots of young people and energy. CEO is constantly on the road getting new clients and making contacts, which keeps the client base healthy and makes you feel good of a stable future. They have a niche vertical they focus on which is the franchise industry and are known as No. 1 in the space. Solid health and dental benefits plus an IRA. They also have a lot of structure and training which is unusual for a PR firm.

ConsWay too many clients to handle. Tough for employees to juggle the work, even though the team leaders try very hard to organize priorities there is just no way to keep up. At the end of the day you never, ever feel done or accomplished. If you want to give 100 percent to any client or project it's impossible so you have to give up your high standards for work perfection, which is really hard for people like me.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out a way to increase retainers so you can keep your profit margin but reduce number of clients. Your people would stay longer if they didn't get so burned out. I heard management was trying to do that but I just can't wait that long. Meanwhile, keep up all the fun things about the culture - that is what kept me going when I thought I was going to lose it from stress.

Gained a ton of experience and knowldege about public relations and all that it entails (more than just press releases!)

Account Manager (Former Employee) Northbrook, IL

ProsHands on experience; Media Relations; Learning how to pitch; Working on a variety of clients in a variety of industries; skills that will last and are highly marketable when ready to move to a new career; meet new people and have access to high-ranking execs

ConsAs with any job, some of the employees were dramatic when it wasn't necessary. (i.e. junior level staff right out of college)

Very young employees--cliques

Account Executive (Former Employee) Northbrook, IL

ProsIt was located near where I live.

ConsEvery employee has at least 12 clients, so the workload is oppressive and clients don't really get served. Because client retainers are not based on number of hours spent on their account and number of hours spent per account are not tracked, some demanding clients get very over served and others--the nicer ones--get ignored. Employees are all white, largely Republican or apolitical, in their early 20s, love to drink and love sports. If you don't fit those criteria, it will be difficult to advance, if even offered a job there.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more diverse employees, don't micromanage, give each employee fewer clients,change client billing structure.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Promote from within, learn a lot

Account Executive (Former Employee) Northbrook, IL

ProsLoyal employees are rewarded with promotions, fun company culture with 4:00 pm close on Fridays from May-September, catered Halloween costume party with prizes, a holiday party, 1/2 day workday on the day before a holiday, bagels on Fridays, gift cards and other incentives for good weekly performance in terms of press hits. Two weeks vacation earned after first 6 months of employment, five days sick and more than five paid holidays. Good work/life balance for a PR firm.

ConsThere is no logic regarding who leads accounts, travels to conferences, does high-stakes crisis communication--employee could be account coordinator in first month of employment. Nearly every employee is under 24 years old, except for the CEO, COO, a couple of VPs and an account manager. They all love sports and drinking on weekends. Also, management plays favorites.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more diverse employees--age, race, hobbies, political affiliation. Also, management can be quick to terminate.They'll even fire people after 6 years! Also, they have a weekly tally and handle PR like sales. Don't have a bad week in terms of press hits--unless you're one of the favorites, of course. Also, management can be very critical in performance reviews. I was borderline verbally abused in a performance review, but given a $3k raise at the end of the very same dressing down. It can be crazy-making being simultaneously (figuratively) patted on the head with one hand while being punched in the face with the other.

Growth + Experience + Great People = Excellent Place to Work

Social Media Account Coordinator (Current Employee) Northbrook, IL

ProsFishman PR is a great place to work for a variety of reasons. For a start, I love the location and the office building in which it is located. The organization has a wide variety of clients (a lot of them are huge brands), so you are always learning about new industries and the inside workings of various organizations whose names you see and hear on a daily basis. This, not only makes for interesting and diverse assignments and daily work, but also provides you with a broad field of knowledge that you are excited to share with family and friends.

Additionally, Fishman PR is constantly growing as an organization and want every employee to do the same. Top management is excellent in trusting its staff and ensuring that every individual is expanding, improving and growing in order to move forward within their careers. There is a wealth of knowledge to be found at this company, and you won't have to try hard to find it and learn from it.

As for the people, nothing less than excellent can be said. Everyone works as a team to help each other out when needed. There is a lot of collective energy and creativity that often inspires and motivates on a personal level. A wide range of personalities and all are respected and embraced. Oh, and the dress code is casual, so you really get to know the people you work with and their unique personal styles and fashions.

ConsYou have to love learning and understanding a wide array new industries, organizations, products, services, etc. If you do not care to constantly expand your horizons and learn the ins and outs of various fields, it may be a difficult adjustment to make.

Advice to Senior ManagementThanks for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Working at Fishman PR is fun, interesting and never boring!

Creative Director (Current Employee) Northbrook, IL

ProsI love the variety of work that we do at Fishman PR. No two days are ever the same. It is a family atmosphere where all of the staff is friendly and helpful. I have worked at a number of agencies including some of the bigger ones and I can honestly say that I get up in the morning and look forward to coming into work at Fishman PR.

ConsThere really aren't many cons of working at Fishman PR. I guess that the biggest one would be that it is a small agency so everyone knows what everyone else is doing. I like the accountability but I can see how some people might have to make an adjustment if they are used to working in a big agency setting.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. Continue to hire talented people.

Absolute torture

Account Coordinator (Former Employee) Northbrook, IL

ProsThere were a lot of young people; it was pretty easy to get promoted; they implemented some fun activities like a summer outing and holiday party; the clients were not boring

Cons-There were a lot of young people = turnover was bad.
    -It was pretty easy to get promoted = your job responsibilities did not change - all they do is pitch to the media 24/7, and you would get called out if your phone line was not lit up all day. Not sure if they still do this but they had interview boards where you would tally the number of media interviews you lined up every week for clients - if you had less than one a day you got called out.
    -One time I left home in the morning on a really snowy day at 6:30 am to get in by 9 (if you were late, management went nuts running around looking for you) and I was a little late - got yelled at.
    -Micro management is really bad
    -Management plays favorites big time; I know people who never got tallies on the interview board yet continued to get promoted and are now managers; yet others who did the same amount/kind of work as them were fired
    -Felt like I was in high school; in my first week there, I was talking to a couple other employees trying to get to know my new co-workers and my supervisor came by and said slyly, "I hope you're talking about work!"

Advice to Senior ManagementStop playing favorites and micro-managing. Stop acting like we're high schoolers. Relax a little bit and you'll boost morale.

Good place to work and get PR experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat place to learn media relations and build up your experience. The agency specializes in franchises, and with so many different types of industries now having franchise systems, the agency offers many great, interesting clients to work for.

ConsExpect a lot of hours on the phone, if not the whole day. It's like sales in many ways, calling and emailing journalists over and over to obtain media hits.

Worked for Fishman Public Relations? Contribute to the Community!