Fitbit

James Park

Software Engineering Internship

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Fitbit part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-great company culture - happy hour every friday, fun people, no hierarchy in company structure; easy to communicate across teams
    -as an intern, was able to work on meaningful projects as a member of the site engineering team - felt very much like a part of the team by the end of the summer
    -awesome work being done

Cons

-not much to say here; really enjoyed working at fitbit and the people i had a chance to meet

Stop behaving like a startup.

I have been working at Fitbit as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of perks, free product and happy hours, catered lunch once a week

Cons

Poor or non-existent training for middle management. Lots of condescension from managers. Long hours, and the expectation you work all the time, tethered to a laptop or phone. They are not exploring the talent of their employees or trying to inspire them. Little chance for career growth. I've heard of one or two promotions in the 8 months I've been there.

You're not a startup anymore. There's too many people. Create solid org charts and define roles. Inspire people to grow their careers. Train the middle management, especially those whom have never been a manager before.

Love my job and the people I work with

Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fitbit full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've been working here for close to 2 years and my experience has been that people are trying hard to make a great product but without a lot of politics and drama - at least in the teams I interact with. We try to hire people that are easy to work with and good communicators and it helps a lot. I've been in many engineering teams where they would hire smart but hard-to-work with engineers instead of building good teams, and I much prefer this.
    Benefits are always relative - there are nice office perks snacks, some free lunches and a happy hour at the office, but more importantly the pay is great, and hours are reasonable.

Cons

From these reviews it sounds like some teams do not have the experience that I've had, which is concerning. My personal experience has been very positive.

Figure out what is happening in the teams that are unhappy - it hurts morale and is probably hurting our ability to hire good talent.

Cool products, horrible interview/onboarding experience

Former Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Fitbit as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The office is nice and colorful, and the SoMa location is easily accessible.
    The kitchen is stocked. Junkfood included.

Cons

As with a lot of other startups, the politics in the Fitbit office are absolutely horrible. Middle management drama seems to take precedent to getting work done. The interview process is fast, pretentious, and very disorganized. I waited over an hour to been seen both times I was interviewed. My first day, I also was made to wait in the lobby for an hour and a half while they figured out getting a computer and desk setup.

Be more transparent with your employees.

Best place I've ever worked!

I have been working at Fitbit full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's obvious as soon as you walk in the door how passionate everyone is about working at Fitbit. Everyone is here because they absolutely love the products, love the culture, and believe in Fitbit's mission. Combine all that with being at company that's at the forefront of, arguably, the hottest tech space out there! What more do you want?!?!

Cons

Honestly none...it's by far the most fun I've ever had at a job.

Keep it up!

Worst Place Ever.

I have been working at Fitbit as a contractor

Pros

Some of the people are nice and the product itself is neat.

Cons

Where do you begin? If you are on the Support Team - you are treated like crap. Their is a lot of disrespect within the company - and management only cares about the engineers and people who bully others. Most people I knew there are gone, and everyone is much happier for having left.

Be careful with who you hire and listen to your employees

Great company and opportunity to help improve people's lives

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fitbit full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fitbit is the leading consumer fitness technology company. The ideals of the brand are observable in the company culture. The work/life balance is refreshing. Everyone is passionate about helping people be more active and make healthier choices. As an engineer, I appreciate how pleasant the product designers and managers are to work with.

Cons

A large monolithic code base and explosive growth make software engineering more difficult and slower than it should be. There is great hesitation and unreasonable skepticism towards anything that's not Java-based.

Management should be more transparent about product roadmap and do regular Q&A with the company.

Great team of people working on a cool product.

Current Employee - IOS Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - IOS Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fitbit full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's awesome to work on a product that I use daily. The people are great too, willing to help and nice.
    Management is very trusting. Employees know where the company is and where it is going. The work environment is pretty relaxed- I play ping pong pretty much every day in the office.

Cons

The office is split into two floors which can be annoying sometimes.

Yikes...

I have been working at Fitbit full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is a young company, and therefore the energy around the office is certainly positive.

Cons

Too many to list. Underpaid, no training, horrible middle management, broken promises.

Stop adding so many additional levels of management and focus on keeping the people that you do have happy. Or you're about to start losing many more.

Cool company but poor middle management and little room for growth

I have been working at Fitbit full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers and really cool products that help people. Company used to encourage collaboration and taking ownership of projects which sparked leadership and the excitement to learn.

Cons

With new management many of the company's pros are no longer considered acceptable. New ideas, suggestions, and taking leadership are now either discouraged or ignored. Those who express strong leadership are often treated with disrespect and/or micromanaged. In addition, expressing ambition to grow with the company is now seen as overly ambitious.

Allow employees to seek out and discuss potential career paths within the company. Assist them in working toward new roles with more responsibility if they express interest in growing. Allow and encourage employees to voice suggestions and opinions so teams can collaborate on projects and work processes. Provide direction when working on projects but avoid micromanaging employees who are consistently dependable.