Fitbit Reviews

34 reviews filtered by
3.4
Fitbit CEO James Park
James Park

Excellent, fast paced company with passionate and friendly environment

I have been working at Fitbit

Pros

Developers get to impact the company in a meaningful way, without having to jump through hoops or work through politics. Very friendly environment and culture with a healthy work-life balance, and the company is still moving very fast. Exciting growth in an industry that is a positive influence in in the world.

Cons

The company is growing very fast, which puts company culture at risk

Continue to improve communication of product vision and company direction

Unhappy stepping

Former Employee - Senior Product Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Fitbit full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Top management is accessible, kinda. Good breakfast and weekend HH (weekend lunches used to be good, nof anymore). Growing brand will get you lot of attention in outside world.

Cons

Unskilled management across the board Mktg/Hardware/Sply Chain/Finance/Cust Support. No dearth of dictators and micro-managers here. Individual contributors certainly have little voice and are generally scared to voice opinions - therefore many yes men/women. Lot of cross-departmental stress/politics and team shifts are not encouraged (and managers will not not keep your discreet reqiests a secret). Management is generally all bells-n-whistles, and with impractical expectations. Ambitious subordinates, many of whom have never worked in a real company before, will use every opportunity to stab you in the back. Suck up or shut up and be prepared to face heat if you don't like no for an answer.

Come out of the bubble if you really want company growth.

3. Good company with bad management

Former Contractor - Tier II Customer Support in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Tier II Customer Support in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Fitbit as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great products, competitive market with 72% market share, free products with the ability of beta testing upcoming features before release, happy hour on Fridays, outings, competitive salary, work/life balance, and free food.

Cons

Be very careful of joining Fitbit's customer support team. In my short time there despite exceeding the metrics and expectations asked of me, I was repeatedly given negative feedback to my staffing agency. The feedback at first seemed like just a misunderstanding but it turned into what I consider to be harassment and targeting as the feedback became more and more ridiculous to the point where it confused the staffing agency and other employees who heard about it. Both trainers and specialist came to my defense and not one person could see the negativity the management team was so focused on.

I finally had enough after reporting the harassment and having it occur again and put in my notice. They weren't even decent and respectful enough of me to let me complete my last week and ended the assignment after leaving work.

Very sad for a company with enormous potential in a very good space and very good market share, and its no wonder why so many talented people, both full-time and contractors, have walked out the door in such a short period of time.

Clean house and bring in a new management team that knows how to treat its new hires whether full-time employee or contractor. My situation, from talking to other employees about it, is not something that is unique to me and has forced other employees to either get HR involved or leave the company altogether. Also, train your management team on company policy, specifically in the area of harassment and discrimination and make absolutely sure that if anyone feels they are being harassed or discriminated against in the least bit that it is addressed quickly and directly as failure to do so can result in a lawsuit.

Employees should feel welcome and appreciated for their hard work. No one should ever have to come to work uncomfortable wondering when their next "feedback" session is going to take place despite exceeding the expectations of their job role.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fitbit full-time (less than a year)

Pros

No expectation to work long hours - come and go as you please as long as work gets done. There is good communication within my team and daily meetings where opinions are heard so that everyone feels valuable.
    For a recent grad, the salary/compensation is competitive versus offers from the big software companies (Amazon, Facebook, Google). The increase in salary makes up for the limited perks compared to the big companies.

Cons

The only con that I can think of is that perks are limited to snacks/drinks and happy hour/catered lunch once a week.

6. Not what I expected

I worked at Fitbit

Pros

Fitbit had large catered meals twice a week. The tiny kitchen was stocked with juice, and snacks.

Cons

The entire floor had row by row desks that can be moved up and down depending if you wanted to sit or stand to do your work. I prefer cubicles to be honest, but I think this is the new way of the business world. It was not as "pretty" of a place as I thought Fitbit would be. No pictures on the wall. Just a room full of people - it felt like a college library.

Put some pictures on the wall of Fitbit products to encourage your employees what they are working for.

There is a lot of potential

I have been working at Fitbit full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If I could give 1/2 stars I would. Right now Fitbit as a company is 2.5 stars but has so much potential to be great.

+Strong brand

+Employees are genuine. This sounds so simple, but in this time of dime a dozen hyper-growth, over valuated Bay Area companies it can't be emphasized more.

+Standard "tech" perks. Snacks, lunch, jackets, backpacks

Cons

Lots of work to be done. Leadership needs to take notice very soon.

+No VP of HR/People/Culture. This is the most worrisome. No one focuses on the people as a whole without seeing just "my team" "my engineers" "my, my, my" Leadership team has tunnel vision on only their own teams and most are engineering centric.

+Compensation is below market. Not many internal promotions, raises or equity increases.

+Benefits are okay. Maternity/Paternity leave are terrible.

Leadership needs to lead. We are not a start up and that is not a bad thing! Be proud of this. Get out of the weeds and be strategic.

Please add a female or better yet 2 or 3 of them to the executive team. If it happens to be the VP of HR make it a mission to hire one on the technical side of the company as well.

Let's strive to be a great place to work, not just a great consumer brand. There is potential but as employee begin to vest I see lots of attrition coming our way if the leadership doesn't address the above issue.

8. Nice place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fitbit full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Small teams, standard startup feeling. I can walk to every one and they are willing to help me. There isn't much meetings, mostly working on my stuff.

Cons

Lunch is not provided every day

Ssl review

I have been working at Fitbit

Pros

Good work life balance. Come and go as you please if you get stuff done

Cons

Managers are an issue. There are many managers that aren't sharp at all and only see their own tiny world

Fast paced company with accountability

I have been working at Fitbit full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's a fairly large startup, but each position is given significant influence to the success of the company. It has a good, recognizable name in the Tech industry. It is easy to reach senior management from entry level / junior positions and they respond to your concerns. There's not much of a hierarchy feel in Fitbit, which I like. The perks are nice and working with people who are genuinely passionate about building innovative products is fulfilling in itself.

Cons

Because it's growing so fast, I can see people inundated with work that they can't handle by themselves. Some teams work long hours and receive the least amount of help in terms of growing their actual team. There needs to be better communication across teams from production to distribution and the same problems that occur during this process needs to be addressed and fixed.

Communication across all fronts needs to be more streamlined and transparent. Keep releasing a multitude of products but have an honest, sincere expectation of launch dates and expect delays.

11. great experience!

Former Employee - Customer Support in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Support in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Fitbit

Pros

Everyone was super nice and supportive. I felt like I could approach anyone in the company easily.

Cons

Customer service anywhere can be emotionally stressful for some people, and the offices were in two different buildings.

Keep doing you.