Fitbit Reviews

Never Again....

Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Fitbit

Pros

The product is SO cool! Their are a handful of people that are wonderful, and the research team kicks serious butt! The office is nice, and their is some fun swag, free lunches and happy hours. Lunch provided could be healthier but, its still super duper.

Cons

I do not know where to begin. But, having now experienced some time in a new position in another company/start up - I can truly say this place is FAR from a normal work place. This place tore me apart for life. The customer support management was SO unkind, it was harassment. Nothing was ever taken seriously, and their were other people on the team that were so mean due to the constant bullying from upper management and onto other people. It took everything in my power to come there every day. I couldn't believe I was in a work environment that was this stressful. Not due to the work load, but the people!

This place needs some help, and people need to learn to be professional and normal in the work place. I have continuously told others never to apply there and will forever be a Jawbone up advocate. Too bad :(

Advice to Management

Get some people that are actually nice, and speak kindly to others. Be professional, and when employees are coming to HR due to harassment, take it seriously!

You guys are headed straight for law suit land. Really serious stuff going on here.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fitbit full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No expectation to work long hours - come and go as you please as long as work gets done. There is good communication within my team and daily meetings where opinions are heard so that everyone feels valuable.
    For a recent grad, the salary/compensation is competitive versus offers from the big software companies (Amazon, Facebook, Google). The increase in salary makes up for the limited perks compared to the big companies.

Cons

The only con that I can think of is that perks are limited to snacks/drinks and happy hour/catered lunch once a week.

There is a lot of potential

I have been working at Fitbit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If I could give 1/2 stars I would. Right now Fitbit as a company is 2.5 stars but has so much potential to be great.

+Strong brand

+Employees are genuine. This sounds so simple, but in this time of dime a dozen hyper-growth, over valuated Bay Area companies it can't be emphasized more.

+Standard "tech" perks. Snacks, lunch, jackets, backpacks

Cons

Lots of work to be done. Leadership needs to take notice very soon.

+No VP of HR/People/Culture. This is the most worrisome. No one focuses on the people as a whole without seeing just "my team" "my engineers" "my, my, my" Leadership team has tunnel vision on only their own teams and most are engineering centric.

+Compensation is below market. Not many internal promotions, raises or equity increases.

+Benefits are okay. Maternity/Paternity leave are terrible.

Advice to Management

Leadership needs to lead. We are not a start up and that is not a bad thing! Be proud of this. Get out of the weeds and be strategic.

Please add a female or better yet 2 or 3 of them to the executive team. If it happens to be the VP of HR make it a mission to hire one on the technical side of the company as well.

Let's strive to be a great place to work, not just a great consumer brand. There is potential but as employee begin to vest I see lots of attrition coming our way if the leadership doesn't address the above issue.

Not what I expected

I worked at Fitbit

Pros

Fitbit had large catered meals twice a week. The tiny kitchen was stocked with juice, and snacks.

Cons

The entire floor had row by row desks that can be moved up and down depending if you wanted to sit or stand to do your work. I prefer cubicles to be honest, but I think this is the new way of the business world. It was not as "pretty" of a place as I thought Fitbit would be. No pictures on the wall. Just a room full of people - it felt like a college library.

Advice to Management

Put some pictures on the wall of Fitbit products to encourage your employees what they are working for.

6. Nice place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fitbit full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Small teams, standard startup feeling. I can walk to every one and they are willing to help me. There isn't much meetings, mostly working on my stuff.

Cons

Lunch is not provided every day

Ssl review

I have been working at Fitbit

Pros

Good work life balance. Come and go as you please if you get stuff done

Cons

Managers are an issue. There are many managers that aren't sharp at all and only see their own tiny world

Fast paced company with accountability

I have been working at Fitbit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a fairly large startup, but each position is given significant influence to the success of the company. It has a good, recognizable name in the Tech industry. It is easy to reach senior management from entry level / junior positions and they respond to your concerns. There's not much of a hierarchy feel in Fitbit, which I like. The perks are nice and working with people who are genuinely passionate about building innovative products is fulfilling in itself.

Cons

Because it's growing so fast, I can see people inundated with work that they can't handle by themselves. Some teams work long hours and receive the least amount of help in terms of growing their actual team. There needs to be better communication across teams from production to distribution and the same problems that occur during this process needs to be addressed and fixed.

Advice to Management

Communication across all fronts needs to be more streamlined and transparent. Keep releasing a multitude of products but have an honest, sincere expectation of launch dates and expect delays.

9. great experience!

Former Employee - Customer Support in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Support in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Fitbit

Pros

Everyone was super nice and supportive. I felt like I could approach anyone in the company easily.

Cons

Customer service anywhere can be emotionally stressful for some people, and the offices were in two different buildings.

Advice to Management

Keep doing you.

Worst experience ever

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fitbit

Pros

Great marketing team, Free products, Weekly catered lunch

Cons

Desperately need an experienced HR Executive. Communication from top down inon existent. Vision, Goals, Roles & Responsibilities unclear. Working conditions horrible, everyone has a little tables lined up next to each other like an assembly line, non conducive for getting work done. Immature teams lacking experience. Time to clean house at the top and bring in skilled execs to take company to the next level. Compensation plan uncompetitive. Need annual review process.

Advice to Management

Exec management please get out of the day to day and LEAD. Doing the work that individual contributors and managers have been hired to do, is not leading. Empower managers. Be more mindful of how dollars are being spent. Focus on tools and processes that are desperately lacking. Don't blame others who have departed from the company for the issues that you allowed to happen, the issues are still the same. Don't let Ego and personal agendas impede the company's success.

Software Engineering Internship

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Fitbit part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-great company culture - happy hour every friday, fun people, no hierarchy in company structure; easy to communicate across teams
    -as an intern, was able to work on meaningful projects as a member of the site engineering team - felt very much like a part of the team by the end of the summer
    -awesome work being done

Cons

-not much to say here; really enjoyed working at fitbit and the people i had a chance to meet

RSS Feed </> Embed