Fitness Anywhere

Add Photos

Randy Hetrick

Never a dull moment

I have been working at Fitness Anywhere full-time for more than 5 years

Pros"The people make the job" was advice I received from a mentor. I really love the people here. They are all active, social and passionate about health and fitness. The company still feels like a start up so one is constantly challenged and learning and there is always the excitement of what obstacle or opportunity lies around each corner.

ConsThe company grew too fast and this led to a number of restructuring, uncertainty and adjustments. With some new key players in place, we are building a new foundation and company moral and culture is going back to where it was when it was voted one of the "best places to work".

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time evaluating and narrowing down our list of current projects. In our new structure we are set up to be more collaborative. Lets focus and tackle the projects that we know will have the greatest impact on the company as a whole versus taking on too many projects.

Use your bodyweight to find another job

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Fitness Anywhere full-time for more than a year

ProsGood people below the management level

Cool office space

Good coffee

Lots of dogs on some days

Amazing product

ConsThe leadership at the executive level is painful. We spend 1/2 of our time attending going- away parties for all the people that flock out of this place. The turnover is sick.

No employee advocates. HR is just a puppet of the execs, and so clearly not interested in employee well being. You tell them anything and you can count on the exec team knowing within minutes. And they're all just so fake.

The CFO cut every perk possible, but still gets a bonus and lives/travels off company dime.

The CEO is out of the picture most of the time. Shows up every few weeks to yell about stuff so to show he's still the top dog.

Moral is so low it makes it hard to show up everyday. I get the feeling that senior level management understands this, but much like all of us, they need a paycheck and can only push so much.

No planning. We spend so much time working on products that we know aren't going to work. Then live in fear we'll be cut when we don't hit the company revenue goals.

No bonuses even though they sell the bonuses hard when recruiting. They should have to tell new employees that they haven't paid bonuses in years except to folks with a C in their title

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't think management would listen to anything written on here. They comment often on these reviews and how they're bitter ex employees and don't matter. Funny how they don't see the massive turnover as a sign than there's an issue. And it's not getting better.

So, I'd like to maybe say something to the board of this company. Clearly you see what's happening. If you have investments in this company, please act to save it. Don't be snowballed by another powerpoint that spells out these amazing plans. History is repeating itself year after year. Look at the constants in this equation: The Exec leadership. If you have power, use it.

Invisible

I have been working at Fitness Anywhere full-time for more than a year

Prosan apple on Monday's, milk for your coffee, coffee, nice view of Bay Bridge, noon workouts, underlings are nice, showers are nice after a sweaty workout, towel service

Consrevolving door here, nothing you do gets recognized, overall incompetency sensed everywhere, no sense of urgency with anything. I agree with all of the reviews. This place has potential but it's being run into the ground. everyone is unhappy here - mood of the whole place has turned sour.
all the things they say they do, they do not. they do not give bonuses, they do not do 401k with match (is it legal to say you do if you don't? - well they say it depends on their profit for the year). they used to have a fruit bonanza on Monday's with protein bars and that has pretty much turned into a bag of Safeway reject apples (like the thick skinned red delicious you used to eat as a kid) and a bag of cuties and a bag of nuts. Protein bars gone. thank G for the milk and cream tho! and Peets coffee. half of company has been replaced by temps. almost pointless to learn their names. pretty sure they are getting paid pretty poorly.

Advice to Senior Managementevery decision made here is reactionary. this is why every employee is unhappy. stand up to the CEO and make him pull his weight. and don't let him talk to you the way he does.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sinking Ship. Horrible CEO. Do NOT take a job here

I have been working at Fitness Anywhere full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-Cool office
-Free coffee
-Fun junior level employees

Cons-CEO, CCO, CFO are arrogant, ignorant and running the company off a cliff
-Senior management is a good old boy's white man's club, with a token woman thrown in, who the CEO bashes regularly behind her back
-Not a good work environment for women. Sexist, chauvinistic, and no women in senior roles
-Morale is at an absolute low. CEO lashes out at anyone who recognizes this fact
-Senior management (just below C-Level) is filled with incompetent career mid-level managers scrambling desperately to get a "VP" title. C-level execs reward brown-nosing
-No company culture at all. Morally bankrupt leadership. Only focus is profit, zero focus on customers, employees or product.
-HR is a joke. Zero concern for employees. HR is a lap-dog of Finance, screwing employees out of every benefit at every turn, while the C-level execs have their housing and weekly flights home paid for by the company.
-Inability to manage the company to a profit. Despite ever-growing revenue, the company somehow keeps running out of money. Where is it all going?
-The only talented and respected leaders have all left during the past 6 months. Our remaining "leadership" team is a joke. (Caveat: military group seems cool, and seems to have a great team. They're insulated however, and keep to themselves. Only way in is to have been in the military, so doesn't help the rest of us. No women there either).

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the Board of Directors and Investors: it is time for a new CEO. He probably was great during the start-up years, but his arrogance, narcissism, and lack of attention and focus are killing the company. Every key initiative of the last few years has been his idea, rammed down the throats of the team. And then when the idea fails, he blames the team, fires a few scapegoats, and acts like he never had anything to do with the bad idea. What's scary, is that it seems like he actually believes his own lies and re-telling of the facts. He's never present, works only a few hours a week. Who knows what the man does? You need to see through his cult of personality. It's time.

To Senior Management: stop brown-nosing your boss and the CEO and actually worry about something else besides your career. Take care of your teams!

To Employees: stick together. Have fun. Do your jobs well and ignore the politics. But... polish your resume. The grass is greener somewhere else. SF is filled with amazing companies and amazing jobs, most of which will pay you better.

Great people. Horrible senior leadership

San Francisco, CA

I worked at Fitness Anywhere full-time for more than a year

Pros• Prime office location
• Full kitchen in office
• Exposure to others with healthy lifestyles and practices
• Dog friendly offices
• Nice outdoor workout area
• Talented people (Not including senior management)

Honestly, the people made working there a lot of fun. Every person was an 'expert' in their area, and if you wanted to learn something, you were free to partner and learn. There's also something rewarding about working on a product that helps people live better lives and be healthier. I think I'll miss that most of all.

Cons• Senior management (CEO & immediate team)
• Inept financial leadership, goals and decisions
• Routine layoffs or 'resource realignments' to save money
• Severely political
• Hypocritical policies & rules that seem to apply to only a few departments/people
• Favoritism
• Chauvinism
• Never-ending top-down decision making with unrealistic expectations and timelines
• Blatant use of fear tactics
• Ridiculous product ideas with even more ridiculous revenue goals attached
• No MBO plan/bonuses (at least for those below C-level)
• Below-standard pay (for the Bay Area)
• Forced usage of accrued vacation time
• Workouts (while they are held every day, if you're seen taking a class by senior management, you can expect to hear snide remarks about your work ethics)
• Cost management - things like fruit, vegetables and healthy snacks have been cut. But corporate housing and plane tickets every weekend so that upper management can fly home are perks that are alive and well!

As a place to work, TRX/Fitness Anywhere was great. But a revolving door of Senior Leadership/Executives, all lead by the long-suffering, always-blameless CEO, has eradicated the culture and motivation of every department. (Just ask for company turn-over stats if you interview) It's so bad that employees were all but begged to fill out a survey to help TRX make the 2013 Best Places To Work in the Bay Area. Needless to say, TRX didn't make the cut.

All decisions (or as we like to call them: "delusions") are made by the Senior Leadership team and forced down. And when they don't work, the people in the trenches are the first ones blamed.

Advice to Senior Management1) Listen to your teams: You bring people in that have a skill. Listen to them. Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean that it's wrong.

2) Lead by example: Giving a 45 minute presentation on office hours/productivity is fine. But when you each roll in at 11am, WFH every other week or leave every Friday at 10 am to catch flights and beat traffic, etc, it's hypocritical. Especially when you're not available online to help make decisions and then get mad when things aren't done your way. It's also not lost on people how some teams can workout and go to lunch and still leave at 5, or take 2 hour daily bike rides during the day and leave on time.

3) Stop inventing stuff that won't sell: TRXtv, Core, Rip, etc. All of these hurt the company because you didn't listen to folks who told you they wouldn't grow the business. Then you go and add impossible revenue budgets to each and wonder why we miss our goals.

4) Invest in your people: Your turnover rate speaks for itself. You lose people faster than you can find them. Ask yourself "why." You've lost folks that believed in the company but were tired of the impossible revenue goals or the "thrown under the bus" mentality that's been created.

5) Bring back healthy snacks and judgement free workouts. This is one thing that sets TRX apart. Quit with the side comments about people that want to workout. It's a fitness company, you should be happy that people are living the brand!

Poor Communication, Lack of leadership and confused objectives

I have been working at Fitness Anywhere full-time

ProsSome very bright people, Dogs at the office, fitness encouraged, The official company culture is quite positive, healthy and (the good kind of) competitive.

ConsLack of communication, fear tactics, great work is wasted. Managers badly need training. There is little trust and some departments do much of the work while others slack off. There is a lot of time wasted figuring out who to blame rather than strategizing solutions.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's not enough to simply hire experts. You must listen to them!

Very unorganized...

San Francisco, CA

I worked at Fitness Anywhere full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat workouts, laid back environment, rooftop parties, dog friendly, nice facility and financial district location...

ConsUpper management is extremely unorganized. No direction as to what to do every day, or even every week. No communication between departments to help flow the company together as a whole.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to people underneath you and ask for suggestions or ideas as to how you can better streamline your business.

Worst

I have been working at Fitness Anywhere as a contractor

ProsVery bad company to work for

ConsSame as above. Very bad company to work for.

It's like watching a train wreck...

I have been working at Fitness Anywhere full-time

ProsFree workouts
Working with some great people ("management" not included)
Location

ConsThe company has a flavor of the day strategy. Although the CEO is driving most of the decisions, he never takes responsibility when things go wrong. It's always someone else's fault. Very toxic culture driven from the top. Unless you are a white man, you don't have a chance of being successful.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany is in a nose dive. You need to figure out a way to grow the business through actual product and not bogus inventions like the CORE.

No one is safe

I worked at Fitness Anywhere

ProsWork Outs
Amazing discounts to employees on the suspension trainer and rip trainer, as well as comped classes
SOME really awesome people

ConsYou never know when you'll be fired (promotion does not equal that your job is safe)
The company reorganizes every few months, if that
Does not have a balanced budget
Very political
Huge lack of communication

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your sh*t together. Retain talent and stop over projecting. You shouldn't need to cut 10-20% of the company out every year.

Worked for Fitness Anywhere? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Fitness Anywhere reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Fitness Anywhere CEO Randy Hetrick. All 25 reviews posted anonymously by Fitness Anywhere employees.