Fitness First

Updated September 27, 2014
Updated September 27, 2014

Fitness First CEO Andrew Cosslett
Andrew Cosslett

Great at setting sales foundation for contact centre cold calling, developing selling cycle, basics with needs analysis

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Fitness First full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great fun young energetic culture, Instills intrinsic determination and self motivators to excel

Cons

Requires great teamwork and strong leadership in place for resources

Great place to train

Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Blaine, MN
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Blaine, MN

I have been working at Fitness First full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Easy access to equipment, unlike most gyms where trainer may have to wait for a member to finish with a piece of equipment

Cons

Could be more marketing potential for group classes and personal training sales

high school job

Former Employee - Childcare in Ashburn, VA
    Former Employee - Childcare in Ashburn, VA

I worked at Fitness First

Pros

friendly coworkers
    fun to work with kids

Cons

unorganized
    special treatment
    annoying parents

Good Company

I worked at Fitness First full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good company ethos who value their employees and encourage them to keep fit! They also do listen to their employees suggestions and if possible implement their good ideas.

Cons

As I have now retired this may no longer be relevant! At the time I was there the recession was hitting the company and the knock on effect on employees was the lack of available money for salary increases.

Sales Manager

Former Employee - Sales Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Fitness First full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great in house team, fun and exciting work environment, potential for promotions through demonstrating potential, flexible holidays, use of club facilities throughout UK.

Cons

There was a lack of communication between upper management and local clubs, it seemed upper management would only contact when something was wrong and only in a negative manner never in a positive manner and never with ideas and new strategies.

worst decision of my working career

Former Employee - Club General Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Club General Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Fitness First full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

you may have to give up your life and work for minimum wage

Cons

you will never be promoted unless you have a massive urge to rip people off and sell your soul

you should listen to the customer on an individual basis not base your strategy on bums on seats, you are supposed to bee a health and fitness chain not a sales machine to line venture capitalists pockets!!

First for a reason

Former Employee - National Retail Coordinator in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - National Retail Coordinator in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Fitness First full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fitness development is actually going somewhere in the Australian business, which is more than i can say for competitor gyms that I've worked for in the UK. Range of equipment for different goals and athletic levels, and always looking to add and improve. Great chance for progression and plenty of opportunities for those that work hard.

Cons

Going through some re-structure so takes time to get higher due to lesser roles, however less roles gives business chance to grow. Possible risk at laying off too many roles though, as less passion with those that remain, means less productivity, less action from the business and less positive change for members.

Get rid of the right people, keep the right people. Delve deeper into who's there to make the world a fitter place, and who's there for themselves.

Great, if you are tough enough to deal with members and their egos.

Current Employee - Reception in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Reception in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Fitness First part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free gym membership
    Meet some great people

Cons

Minimum wage, no London living wage
    Understaffed, yet Head office expects superior customer service

Sending your entire staff on compulsory 'Raise the Bar' workshops, encouraging full interaction and a high level of customer service is all well and good. But if you then refuse to provide more hours to hire staff to action this, then it's a complete waste of time.

Introducing 'Price Alignments' to members without pre-warning staff in the gyms affected shows a gross misunderstand and ignorance of the pressures your frontline staff are under. Stop making the calls from the safety of head office and look after your men in the trenches.

Love working for Fitness First, Proud to wear the T-Shirt

Current Employee - Personal Trainer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Fitness First full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Feel like part of a family, great opportunities to grow my business as a PT, reasonable rent prices for Trainers, excellent brand and company.

Cons

Some gyms are very small, Renovation can take time.

Maybe Incentives for Personal Trainers, like free rent for a month

Great people, great business undermined by inexperienced, egotistical management.

Former Employee - Regional Manager
    Former Employee - Regional Manager

I worked at Fitness First full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I have some lifelong friends and from the ranks of both members and staff. I had great opportunities and training and developed through the business quickly. This business has enormous potential and I enjoyed many aspects of my time there, particularly the chance to learn and grow in a young, vibrant and dynamic environment. The focus on training and development was outstanding, I learnt so much and can honestly say Fitness First gave me the opportunities that have led to my career success.

Cons

Sales aggressive culture that rewards poor behaviour and win-lose outcomes in favour of the business at the expense of customers. Many great people have been chewed up and spat out by this business, which is a shame as there is enormous passion and genuine care by front line staff.

The culture of this business has become toxic, with egotistical, chest thumping inmates running the asylum. Whilst the business has undergone a significant re brand the architects of the disaster which led to a global fire-sale are still in charge... Until this changes history will most probably repeat itself. Bring in professional senior managers with experience, qualifications and the maturity to make balanced and astute decisions for all stakeholders. Look after you members and staff; and don't delude yourselves that a new brand palette and slogans will change the fundamental flaws in your business.

Fitness First Photos