Five Below

www.fivebelow.com

Five Below Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014
Five Below – Walker – “Black Friday Opening Crew”

Five Below CEO & Co-Founder Tom Velios

Tom Velios

Pros
  • A 20% discount is definitely a pro(in 12 reviews)

• There is a 20% employee discount(but only really matters if there's a lot that you're buying)(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • When I first got promoted to part-time manager, I barely got any training(in 9 reviews)

• Associates make minimum wage and there is NO room for growth(in 6 reviews)

very excellent company

ProsI really love the company, you have room to grow with the company.

Consthe could do better with training the staff more better.

Great place to work

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Horseheads, NY

Prosfun people for the most place, flexible hours, good training, lots of opportunities

Constoo reactive, not proactive. poor management

Sales Associate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsPeople were great to work with
    Management was wonderful

ConsPay is minimum wage, bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more?

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Retail slave

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

ProsStarted out really good, fun culture, very informal, didn't take it's self too seriously. But then they went public and it changed the whole culture and they are all about the money.

ConsTraining was a hot mess. Wasn't consistent from one store to the next. Stores have little payroll, most of the time one manager and one cashier, but then harp on customer service. You can't offer good service if you can't get off register.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to what you started. Your employees miss it.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Fun Starter Job

Head Cashier (Former Employee)

ProsThe job, while being demanding in the way any retail job is, is relatively easy and fun. The team I worked with was very nice and the products were fun. Even though everything is already cheap you get 20% off.

ConsNo room for advancement and minimal hours for all non managing employees. Costumers often dissatisfied because cheap products break and there is a very strict no refund/exchange within 30 days policy. Schedule often went out late and people are not supposed to call in to ask hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementNobody wants to work ten hours a week, hire less people and let them work like 20 hours.

Good job, terrible hours.

ProsI really enjoy working at five below. The managers I have are really laid back and easy to work with. I started out on seasonal freight and managed to get moved to cashier so I have a few more hours per week. I like most of the customers that come in, and that makes the shifts I work go by fast. My manager is really good about working with your personal schedule so days off are rarely an issue. The other employees are really fun to work with, and I'm really happy I can have a job like that.

ConsThe hours are absolutely terrible. If your store doesn't do well with sales, you can expect an hours cut. If other stores in your district have to go over on hours, expect an hours cut. There have been a couple of weeks where I had full availability and no hours, simply because there weren't enough hours to go around. The store I work at is recovering from a previous manager, and we are doing pretty well, but we can't ever get totally there because we continue to get five and six pallets worth of stuff, and we maybe have room on our sales floor for a pallet and a half. If you don't get emails from customers, they cut your hours. I don't think that's something the associates should be penalized for. Most customers I encounter don't want to give out their emails. I feel that if a customer doesn't want to give out their email, that shouldn't fall back on the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTruly look at what your stores are selling and send them that in their weekly shipments. There is no reason for us to get 8 boxes of t-shirts when we already have a full wall, and 12 more boxes in the back. There is also no reason for us to get all those shirts, when if you take those off, you would have room to send us things we actually need. The email rule is dumb. Employee hours shouldn't get cut because customers don't feel comfortable sharing personal information like email.

Up and coming fast paced fun environment. Great atmosphere!

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Holland, OH

ProsFun environment, constantly changing. Staff feels like family. You are encouraged to love what you do and have fun. There is always something to do. Lots of team development. 20% discount, vacation time, personal time, bonuses, stock options.

ConsInventory control management. There is no real accountability for what comes in. Constant remerchandising of areas. With new location changes weekly.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart an auto replenishment system with regular cycle counts. Cut back on the market plan changes so more time can be dedicated to section integrity and customer service.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Decent

Cashier (Former Employee) Fredericksburg, VA

ProsIt's pretty laid back and simple

ConsHorrible hours and always messy

Advice to Senior ManagementNot much to say, customers aren't always great. I will say, however, don't under hour the entire company. I always was alone on shift other than a Manager. It made things quite painful.

Absolutely Fantastic Company

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Walker, MI

ProsI've worked at a LOT of different places, but Five Below is definitely the best retail job out there and a perfect place for people to get into the field.
    Annual pay-raises based on abilities and experience, easy! (minimum wage is not THAT bad to start; earn your way up!)
     Flexible scheduling if you take the time to ask for it off, piece of cake!
    20% discount on EVERYTHING!
    Growth in company available if you work hard and show interest.
    My managers are fun to work with and actually talk to and listen to employees.
    The company policies are changing and getting better by the moment.
    The power people take the time to actually visit the stores and get to know the employees.
    (( Also, as of January, 2014, all employees are able to handle returns and can easily do what things for the customer; no one should use the excuse saying they don't have any responsibilities in this store. ))

ConsTraining is very quick, but it isn't much to learn. There are no health benefits for part-time employees. Low sales for the store means low hours for the store. Difficult to stop thieves when there are not enough hours to put enough employees in the store to see it happen.

Advice to Senior ManagementReviews should be done every 6 months so newer employees are able to see how the company is willing to work with their employees and reward them when they do their jobs well. Don't hire lazy people who think minimum wage isn't enough for such a basic and fun job. Give more hours to the stores ... there should always be at least two associates and one manager, even on a slow day, so things can get done and theft can be prevented.

My manager was evil.

Key Holder (Former Employee)

ProsCool stuff....discount...loved the other associates.

ConsMy manager was a cruel human. When I first got promoted to part-time manager, I barely got any training. My manager threw a market plan at me and expected me to know how to read. My manager also told me to take initiative. So I would... and then she would yell at me for doing things wrong. I requested time off a month in advance to go out of town and my manager absolute ripped my head off, screamed at me, and made me cry. She also told me she would not work around my school schedule. This manager had tons of customer complaints and employee complaints, and was under investigation for how she treated people, BUT SHE DIDN'T GET FIRED! She has made numerous employees cry and belittles people. She is awful. The customers are disgusting pigs too. Stealing things that don't cost more than five dollars! And they leave trash everywhere and are rude as hell. DON'T WORK HERE!!!!!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the managers that have tons of complaints against them and who treat their employees like crap.

Worked for Five Below? Contribute to the Community!