Five Guys Burgers & Fries

Updated February 26, 2015
3.1

Five Guys Burgers & Fries Jerry Murrell
Jerry Murrell

Pros
  • You get free food during lunch break, though you can only get burgers and fries (in 37 reviews)

• You get a free meal at break time, and the most of the managers are nice (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Should definitely not be a minimum wage job for the amount of work you do (in 15 reviews)

• The amount of work you do in this job is terribly higher than the pay is worth (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Physical labor with some of the greatest people in the most fun restaurant around.

Former Employee - Certified Shift Manager in Southlake, TX
    Former Employee - Certified Shift Manager in Southlake, TX

I worked at Five Guys Burgers & Fries full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Almost always something to do
    The opportunity to meet a huge amount of people
    Fantastic work environment
    Simple tasks that require a good work ethic and an ability to work with others

Cons

It can be tough working the long hours
    Still a growing company so management is sorting itself out still and they have grown incredibly quick leaving some of the districts struggling to keep up with the demand for service vs. Employees

I loved my time at your restaurant and I will be forever thankful for the experience I gained here. I became a manager and at that point I realized we needed to pay more attention to our general managers and assistant managers as they deserve much more rewards for what they do on a daily basis to keep your stores running.

Great Job but very hard work,

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Five Guys Burgers & Fries

Pros

Opportunity for advancement, good pay, the leadership has your back on many situations, company gives money back for a job well done. produces a product one can get behind.

Cons

Not much work life, balance. work is hard and stressful, applicant pool can be tricky because the pay for a crew is minimal.

get more consistent on rules and regulations, put in place a more applicable training program give your store leadership access to it to get it set up.

Depends on the location.

Current Employee - Cashier/Crew Member in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Cashier/Crew Member in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Five Guys Burgers & Fries full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The free meals and the hours. The fact that you get a paycheck once a week with forty or fifty hours.

Cons

The employees and the lack of staffing. There are no benefits. A lack of appreciation. Little opportunities for advancement.

Raise the morale of the team, hire not just anyone, and do not favorite.

I would rather go back to Five Guys than sit at a desk all day.

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at Five Guys Burgers & Fries

Pros

You're almost constantly busy, there's always something to be done (which I prefer). Most locations have flexible scheduling, relaxed managers/shift leads & have room for growth within the company. It's fun, you learn a lot of random food facts working there. One free meal a day. At the store I worked, the crew became my second family. Great opportunity. Start at minimum wage, but if you have experience, sometimes you get a little more. It's not HARD work, it's just a lot of things that need done.

Cons

District & Regional management/Corporate is a little out of line. Salary positions required to work AT LEAST 50 hours/week, which is unreal for the "benefits" they receive. Work life balance for them is a no go. Corporate rules & "secret shop incentives" change a lot. Quarterly audits were annoying only because the in store management would lose their heads thinking they would lose their jobs if they got under a 97. They're ridiculous when it comes to labor percentages, which I understand, it's money, but you can't expect to keep an employee if you send them home hours early daily.

Please understand that there's more to life than burgers & fries. Work-Life balance is important for EVERYBODY. Give raise opportunities to employees who don't want to take on the responsibility of management, but are reliable hard workers. Don't threaten your employees, even indirectly; we notice that.

I had a wonderful experience working at the airport.

Former Employee - Team Member in La Guardia Airport, NY
    Former Employee - Team Member in La Guardia Airport, NY

I worked at Five Guys Burgers & Fries

Pros

The hours were long, tiredsome but the money was amazing. The managers came around to hand out money.

Cons

The work is insane. If you do not like to work hard this is not the job for you. It sometimes can get nasty.

Five Guys review

I worked at Five Guys Burgers & Fries

Pros

decent pay, flexible scheduling, advancement opportunities

Cons

you'll end up eating a lot of delicious burgers and fries

Fun, fast-paced, challenging work!

Current Employee - Shift Manager
    Current Employee - Shift Manager

I have been working at Five Guys Burgers & Fries full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work as a team- your higher ups can and will work just as hard if not harder than you.
    Be valued- your energy, attitude, hustle, and strength will be appreciated through more hours, pay, training, and opportunities.
    Have pride- be part of a successful company that knows their product is the best. Top quality or bust!
    Fun!- singing, laughing, and shouting in a fast-paced restaurant every day.

Cons

Hard work- if you aren't used to standing all day, let alone moving around, lifting, etc, this will be challenging. Just as tough as any other restaurant, but with high standards of cleanliness & food safety.
    Expect to participate in this type of hard work even when moving up.

Never stop having high standards! I'd rather work for a strict, tough boss than for an easier, lazier one. There is more pride with the former.

Crew Member

I worked at Five Guys Burgers & Fries

Pros

Very clean everything is done the right way

Cons

Didnt always schedule me as much as I wanted

Little Pay

I have been working at Five Guys Burgers & Fries

Pros

There are not any pros.

Cons

A lot of work for little pay. Most employees have two jobs in order to make ends meet.

Higher pay!

Not too happy with this place.

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Five Guys Burgers & Fries full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy. Not bad pay. People can be friendly.

Cons

not enough raises. No one applies. Crew sucks.

Keep your relationships out of the work place and keep your crew happy and they all won't quit.

Five Guys Burgers & Fries Photos