Five Star Institute

You people are ridiculous

Current Employee - Executive Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Executive Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Five Star Institute

Pros

This is a positive work environment where if you spend your work hours working, you will be successful. The management here is not clueless...just because you aren't in the senior management meetings doesn't mean they aren't happening. This is a corporation that allows for growth and independence...if you need to be micro managed or have your hand held by your boss who has their own job to do maybe it's not the place for you. I guarantee most of the negative reviews on here have come from people who are brought on as contract employees because their work ethic and abilities need to be tested...and it doesn't work out after a few days of testing so they come on here to rant and rave...

Cons

If these reviews are truly from employees who have been here "over a year", then shame on you. Shame on you for taking a paycheck twice a month that you don't work hard for and from a company that you hate. Because the only reason you'd be saying these things is if you didn't work hard- because if you did, even if you didn't do the job right, but just worked hard and tried...Ed and Mark would accept you. I've never worked for a place where hard work is recognized to this degree and advancement/education is given if you care enough about your job.

My advise to all the employees who "work here" and are writing bad reviews- quit working here. We do not need your negative energy and you must be a miserable person to work someplace you hate so much you feel the need to come on here to talk about it. You also must not have very many options for work which makes your points less valid if you don't even see yourself as a valuable hire. Another piece of advice if you decide to stay- GET TO WORK. Do your job and be innovative. If you just try to be innovative without doing your job first, no one will take you seriously. DELIVER. BE TIMELY. If you are given an assignment due at the end of the day and you don't update the person who gave it to you about not turning it in until the next day at noon...no matter the reason, you're being disrespectful. If you ask for opportunities here and work hard to get them, you will receive them.

Love working for clueless leaders!

Current Employee - Contract in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Contract in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Five Star Institute full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love working for clueless leaders, it makes the job so much more of a guessing game. Will I get fired today? Will the scope of the project completely change? Who will Ed, the CEO, yell at aimlessly today? How will I figure out this project with no direction? EXCITING!!

Cons

Unless you hate working Saturdays, awkward business meetings where everyone tries to point the finger, or trashing well-thought out ideas at the last minute, there are no cons.

But seriously, get it together. This company has no culture or values.

Great place to learn a lot

I worked at Five Star Institute full-time

Pros

Owner of the company is a creative visionary that really pushes the envelope on production values and creativity in design. He's also a passionate leader, very charismatic. CEO has an incredible industry mind, knows business, and is probably one of the best that I've been around at business development. Together, they make a good team.

Office layout, location, and amenities are great.

Standard benefits.

Some great coworkers that have been there a while.

Overall, really helped in developing me professionally.

This is a great environment for self starters. There is definitely no hand holding. If you can make you're own way and work very hard, there is an opportunity for success at Five Star.

Cons

Some people complain about the work environment, but a lot of those people probably just don't like working that hard. There definitely is an expectation to work hard/a lot (extra hours sometimes), but more often than not if you are doing your job, you'll receive good feedback.

Hours are tough around conference time. But you're usually rewarded with some comp time around Christmas, so it all evens out.

Take time to develop employees that show real talent, but need some training/education.

Dynamic Workplace with Plenty of Opportunity to Shine

Current Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Five Star Institute full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you're bright and talented, this is an organization that will allow you to explore innovative ideas and projects. It's not for the faint of heart, nor for those who talk a big game but never produce. Hard work and creativity will get you moving up the ladder pretty quickly, and the office location is awesome!

Cons

Every organization has its "characters" and this one is no different. Senior management behavior, at times, is more childlike than business-oriented. Screaming is neither professional nor an effective means to communicate within the work environment. A good anger management course would be in order. High turnover rate.

Tamp down the hysterics and focus on positive reinforcement.

I worked here for nine years and it shaped my career

Former Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I worked at Five Star Institute full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Five Star is one of the most entrepreneurial environments I've ever experienced. I started as a sales person in 2003 and left in 2012 as a VP. The Chairman and CEO work harder than any employee and it drove me to give 150%. I was taught by working hard, combined with perseverance, you can accomplish almost anything. Five Star has always been and continues to be a leader in our industry.

Cons

My cons are not about Five Star but more about some of the negative reviews I've read on this site. I find it interesting that supposed "current employees", there is no way of verifying due to the "anonymous" nature of this site, would collect a check from a place they have such negative feelings about. My advice would be to go experience other places of employment and then you will realize the true quality of Five Star.

May 27, 2014Accounting and H/R Director

Thanks for your review. I'm glad to hear your hard work and perseverance paid off.

The company has a lot of work to do....

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Five Star Institute full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Clean offices. Covered parking. Great location to Klyde Warren park. Tons of places to grab lunch.

Cons

This is a very cold corporate environment. There is no form of structure or process flow. Projects get done when people feel they need to be done. No one takes responsibility for anything. They first point fingers at each other. Be careful when critiquing work because the people here are very sensitive. The company has major issues with communication.

A fantastic place to work, learn and grow your career.

Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Five Star Institute full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Dynamic environment that combines entrepreneurial and corporate structure in a fast paced environment. Great exposure to learn the basics of mortgage finance, real-estate and banking. Five Star industry conferences are top notch and attract thousands from banking to government leaders. Exceptional co-workers, friendly environment with a great office location.

Cons

Long hours during conference season - made up for with lenient 'time-off' policy at end of year (not a con).

Stop hiring people that have no experience in business or a spotty employment record. They usually don't work out and rarely have anything good to say about the company or the people that work here.

May 5, 2014Accounting and H/R Director

Thanks for your review and suggestions. I will relay them to the management team.

Great Company

Current Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Five Star Institute full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They are changing what is expected from and to the industry.

One of the most creative companies I have ever worked for.

They care about customers, employees and the industry.

Push employees to be the best that they can be.

Mobility. Everyone is assigned a laptop.

Open door policy with upper management.

Willing to train inexperienced employees.

Free coffee and soft drinks.

Cons

Uptown location.

Lots of meetings.

Small Company.

Apr 25, 2014Accounting and H/R Director

Thanks. As our industry continues to grow and change, we know that we have to change with it or be left on the sidelines. Pushing employees to be their best, pushes us to be our best too. Glad you ... More

Excellent Learning Experience

Former Employee - Finance and Accounting in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Finance and Accounting in Dallas, TX

I worked at Five Star Institute full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company size - about 40 employees so everyone knows your name and makes you feel welcomed.
    Location - beautifully designed office space that overlooks Klyde Warren Park and free parking!
    Benefits - great medical insurance.
    Compensation - based on your ability and experience. They often give additional incentives for hard work.
    Ideas - management is always open to new ideas and suggestions, they might not use them but are open.
    Longevity - has been in business over 10 years.
    Learning - ablity to learn lots of skills and expand my knowledge of the industry.

Cons

Always Busy - not lots of down time
    Traffic - lots of construction on streets near the office

Hire a few more upper management to assist with day to day functions. save a tree, utilize the internet more for marketing.

May 5, 2014Accounting and H/R Director

Thanks for your comments. I will relay them to our management team. As for the construction, it looks like we are on the downside of it now.

Those bad apples are not from this tree.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Five Star Institute full-time

Pros

Location, Environment, Culture
    It is to bad that a few bad apples have to defame the character of a great company all because they can not perform up to the standard they set for themselves in an interview.
    Working for a company that caters to an elite industry will set the bar high for its employees, and nothing can be more rewarding than achieving those standards.

Cons

I have no cons to enter

Continue being innovative.

Apr 25, 2014Accounting and H/R Director

Thanks for your comments. It's always great to see when our company's "vision" is realized through our employees.

Five Star Institute Photos