Five Star Institute

Dynamic Workplace with Plenty of Opportunity to Shine

Current Employee - Sales  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Five Star Institute full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you're bright and talented, this is an organization that will allow you to explore innovative ideas and projects. It's not for the faint of heart, nor for those who talk a big game but never produce. Hard work and creativity will get you moving up the ladder pretty quickly, and the office location is awesome!

Cons

Every organization has its "characters" and this one is no different. Senior management behavior, at times, is more childlike than business-oriented. Screaming is neither professional nor an effective means to communicate within the work environment. A good anger management course would be in order. High turnover rate.

Tamp down the hysterics and focus on positive reinforcement.

The company has a lot of work to do....

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Five Star Institute full-time for less than a year

Pros

Clean offices. Covered parking. Great location to Klyde Warren park. Tons of places to grab lunch.

Cons

This is a very cold corporate environment. There is no form of structure or process flow. Projects get done when people feel they need to be done. No one takes responsibility for anything. They first point fingers at each other. Be careful when critiquing work because the people here are very sensitive. The company has major issues with communication.

I worked here for nine years and it shaped my career

Former Employee - Sales  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I worked at Five Star Institute full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Five Star is one of the most entrepreneurial environments I've ever experienced. I started as a sales person in 2003 and left in 2012 as a VP. The Chairman and CEO work harder than any employee and it drove me to give 150%. I was taught by working hard, combined with perseverance, you can accomplish almost anything. Five Star has always been and continues to be a leader in our industry.

Cons

My cons are not about Five Star but more about some of the negative reviews I've read on this site. I find it interesting that supposed "current employees", there is no way of verifying due to the "anonymous" nature of this site, would collect a check from a place they have such negative feelings about. My advice would be to go experience other places of employment and then you will realize the true quality of Five Star.

May 27, 2014Accounting and H/R Director

Thanks for your review. I'm glad to hear your hard work and perseverance paid off.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A fantastic place to work, learn and grow your career.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Five Star Institute full-time for more than a year

Pros

Dynamic environment that combines entrepreneurial and corporate structure in a fast paced environment. Great exposure to learn the basics of mortgage finance, real-estate and banking. Five Star industry conferences are top notch and attract thousands from banking to government leaders. Exceptional co-workers, friendly environment with a great office location.

Cons

Long hours during conference season - made up for with lenient 'time-off' policy at end of year (not a con).

Stop hiring people that have no experience in business or a spotty employment record. They usually don't work out and rarely have anything good to say about the company or the people that work here.

May 5, 2014Accounting and H/R Director

Thanks for your review and suggestions. I will relay them to the management team.

Great Company

Current Employee - Sales  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Five Star Institute full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They are changing what is expected from and to the industry.

One of the most creative companies I have ever worked for.

They care about customers, employees and the industry.

Push employees to be the best that they can be.

Mobility. Everyone is assigned a laptop.

Open door policy with upper management.

Willing to train inexperienced employees.

Free coffee and soft drinks.

Cons

Uptown location.

Lots of meetings.

Small Company.

Apr 25, 2014Accounting and H/R Director

Thanks. As our industry continues to grow and change, we know that we have to change with it or be left on the sidelines. Pushing employees to be their best, pushes us to be our best too. Glad you ... More

Excellent Learning Experience

Former Employee - Finance and Accounting  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Finance and Accounting in Dallas, TX

I worked at Five Star Institute full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company size - about 40 employees so everyone knows your name and makes you feel welcomed.
    Location - beautifully designed office space that overlooks Klyde Warren Park and free parking!
    Benefits - great medical insurance.
    Compensation - based on your ability and experience. They often give additional incentives for hard work.
    Ideas - management is always open to new ideas and suggestions, they might not use them but are open.
    Longevity - has been in business over 10 years.
    Learning - ablity to learn lots of skills and expand my knowledge of the industry.

Cons

Always Busy - not lots of down time
    Traffic - lots of construction on streets near the office

Hire a few more upper management to assist with day to day functions. save a tree, utilize the internet more for marketing.

May 5, 2014Accounting and H/R Director

Thanks for your comments. I will relay them to our management team. As for the construction, it looks like we are on the downside of it now.

Keeps it interesting, family oriented

I have been working at Five Star Institute full-time

Pros

Five Star is a company of creativity and pride. We cater to the elite in the industry we serve, and are very proud of what we accomplish. We hold the largest conference, in our industry, in the nation, and while it is a lot of work, it is a lot of fun at the same time. Aside from day to day ops, we are always working on something new and exciting. For instance, we produced the first biopic on Steve Jobs.

The company, while small in size, makes a huge mark, in everything we are involved in. For those that say there is too much stress, when you find that job with zero stress, outside of fast food, please enlighten everyone. If you want to be a part of something great, this is the place to be.

Cons

Sometimes you find yourself taking the blame, for something completely and utterly out of your control. But I think that would happen anywhere...

Sometimes employees deserve something of a repremand, but make sure it's the correct person.

May 5, 2014Accounting and H/R Director

We are very proud of our conference and the employees that help us provide excellent service to our industry too. I'm sorry that you had a bad experience with something that was out of your control ... More

Those bad apples are not from this tree.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Five Star Institute full-time

Pros

Location, Environment, Culture
    It is to bad that a few bad apples have to defame the character of a great company all because they can not perform up to the standard they set for themselves in an interview.
    Working for a company that caters to an elite industry will set the bar high for its employees, and nothing can be more rewarding than achieving those standards.

Cons

I have no cons to enter

Continue being innovative.

Apr 25, 2014Accounting and H/R Director

Thanks for your comments. It's always great to see when our company's "vision" is realized through our employees.

Polite co-workers

Current Employee - FORCE Designated Concierge  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - FORCE Designated Concierge in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Five Star Institute full-time

Pros

In the past, I've worked for companies that had people working for them that simply weren't nice. Working at The Five Star, I get to work alongside some of the nicest people I have ever met. The owner, Mark Hulme is a genuine guy who treats everyone with respect no matter what position you hold within the company.

Reading some of the reviews on here are disappointing as I don't feel like they truly represent the company. I have been with the company for a while now and I can tell you that the people writing negative reviews are temporary workers who were not hired on as employees for a reason.

Cons

Basically, if you do your job, you will have a good experience here.

Ridiculous reviews below (can I use a negative rating?)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Five Star Institute full-time for more than a year

Pros

None. You may be chosen as a "favorite" by the CEO for a short period of time but that will end and it will be worse than it was before you were his favorite

Cons

A highly stressful environment with people being fired or quitting all around you...we have several people leave recently and clearly "management" (I use this loosely) thinks the bad reviews will deter good talent. Well I hope it does, I'm almost done putting in my time here and I will be gone (hopefully) soon. I would never suggest someone to come into this confused and muddled environment. Not one single employee is set up to succeed, even those that have been here far longer than me are at the whim of the CEO and CCO and the other C guy, who is he? who cares. No one cares about or befriends each other, it is a lonely place struggling to sell a crappy product. I must admit the ideas behind the projects are solid but with stress and confused workers they will all just continue to circle the drain.

This was a step backward in my job progress.

Putting up fake reviews on here will just upset everyone, and you still won't be able to hold on to talent. Calm you rants and your absurd requests at the last minute that ruin the productivity of entire works days and sometimes work weeks. Also, yelling is not impressive. Also, trying to use big words for the sake of using them is not impressive. Also, name dropping is not impressive. Actual advice: Take a look around the industry and start following suit, "fake it til you make it" is not a good strategy.

May 5, 2014Accounting and H/R Director

I'm sorry to hear that your time at the Five Star Institute has been so stressful. We realize that our fast paced work environment may not be a good fit for everyone. If you have any suggestions ... More

Worked for Five Star Institute? Contribute to the Community!