Five Star Quality Care

Five Star Quality Care Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Five Star Quality Care President and CEO Bruce J. Mackey Jr.

Bruce J. Mackey Jr.

Friendly environment, overworked, underpaid

Billing Specialist (Former Employee) Newton, MA

ProsRoom for growth
    Friendly environment
    Good place to start
    Trusted to work on own
    Bonus on a yearly basis
    Equal amount of women and men
    Coworkers in the same department were in the same age group
    Lots of help from coworkers
    Patience from managers

ConsOverworked
    Underpaid
    Needs better management (not the assistant manager, he seems like the actual manager in the department)

Advice to Senior ManagementAccept questions from employees, motivate employees to grow in other departments, not just in the current department, higher salary

They don't treat you with respect

Certified Nurse Aid (Current Employee) Lawrence, KS

ProsThe residents are the reason I stay

ConsThe pay is not good. They find every way they can to not pay you. You are treated like your opinion does not matter

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees what they are worth
    Listen to their opinions

High Turnover, Poor Culture, and Lack of mgmt concern

Manager (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsWonderful residents, good benefits: health insurance is pretty good. Paid time off program with option to cash out.

ConsCompany is not very organized and senior management seems not to care. In 2 years, the SNF Dallas location has gone through 10 Director of Nursing, 3 MDS Coordinators, 3 Assistant Director of Nursing, 3 Administrators, 3 Executive Directors, 3 Activity Directors, 3 Maintenance Directors. No one from the regional or corporate level seems to care that turnover is soo high. When a position turns over, no one from the regional level comes to the community to ensure things are running smoothly. When they finally hire managers, the managers receive NO training. Not sure what the regional managers do. They surely are not in the community doing walk throughs. When an employee writes to corporate, they are looked down upon. Corporate in Newton, MA does not seem to care. They do not handle problems or concerns, they foward them to Regional HR and local community to handle which leads to some bias. This process discourages employees from coming forward with concerns. There tends to be some retaliation for expressing concerns. The Dallas SNF community received a zero deficiency survey and no one in the local community recieved any type of bonus, not even the Administrator nor the Director of Nursing. This is almost unheard of! There are also very FEW opportunities for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more training for all positions, especially managers. Not everyone is familiar with "The Five Star' way! Also, Regional Directors should be doing a lot more! Get more involved. Walk the communities. Meet with employees and residents. Show that you care (if you really do care)! Create a bonus structure for managers!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working for Five Star

ProsPeople, Co=workers, Residents, good environment

ConsImmediate Supervisor Controlling, Un clear communication, expects 24/7 work literally

busy work place

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosa public listed company in health care industry

Conspromotion opportunity is rare and frustrating

Advice to Senior Managementpromote employees if they contribute to the company and work hard

Thy came in and with there own personal

CNA (Former Employee) Arlington Heights, IL

Prosnone thy alway want to short staff

Consdo not offer other people that have been there for a short time to see for them selfs what thy can do

Advice to Senior Management:et people show you in a moderate time of what thy can do and do not int emanate any one

Interesting

Marketing/Sales Director (Former Employee) Madison, WI

ProsLove working with RESIDENTS and Families

ConsUpper management. Not enough money in budget. Resident assistants

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease take some time and LISTEN to your staff and your Residents and their families. Take care of the properties you Have before buying/leasing more. CEO of company needs to walk into these facilities un-announced.

Good entry level company, but lacks direction

Buyer (Current Employee) Newton, MA

ProsGreat place to get experience. Laid back work environment. Has potential if some small changes are made.

ConsLack of accountability. No clear vision of where the company is heading. Lack of compensations for hard work.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake managers more accountable. Define goals and interact directly with departments

Jive Star Quality Careless

Therapy (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsThe people that I worked with were FABULOUS!

ConsThis company lacks vision, direction, accountability. Don't pretend to care about compliance issues, then suffer the consequences when your report them. Hard work is not recognized but lazy work is accepted. Lowering the bar for professionalism should be their MANTRA. I expected more from NEWTON Senior Level Members. If the proof is in the numbers, what does it say when you fire the integrity driven customer service driven staff retention given team member's and can't replace them and then numbers, retention, customer satisfaction goes down hill? I thought Bruce Mackey would make a difference, denied. I hope his wife or daughters never have to subject themselves to the sexual harassment I went through with proof and no support from Newton. DISSAPOINTING!!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementOPEN your EYES! FIRE the current management team and rehire the good ones who left.

Unorganized, Inconsistent, Poor Hiring Practices

Cook (Current Employee) Peoria, AZ

ProsResidents are wonderful. Other hourly employees are great to work with. Immediate supervisors (sous chefs) in the kitchen are great, down to earth, and not afraid to help out. Very flexible when it comes to school or other conflicts.

ConsExecutive Chef can never seem to make a decision about anything. One week, he wants something made one way, and the next week, he'll forget he said that and want to know why I'm doing it wrong.
    It is impossible to be promoted. My immediate supervisor has been working there for 16 years, since he was a teenager. He worked his way up from a dishwasher to a sous chef, in the kitchen. But on paper, and in pay, he is still just a cook. A coworker started at 8.00/hr as a dishwasher and has sine moved up to cook, in the kitchen. But on paper, he still only makes 8.28/hr and is still a dishwasher. Other dishwashers hired after him make 8.50, and other cooks get at least 10, but he still does not. Since I have started working there, I have achieved an associate's degree and a bachelor's degree, and am only making .40 more cents/hr than when I started. I have been promised a promotion to sous chef, or at least the opportunity to be trained for sous chef responsibilities, but nobody has come through on that promise. I was "promoted" to full-time, meaning that I work 40 hours per week, but on paper, it still says I'm part time, meaning that I don't get any benefits whatsoever.
    Raises are nonexistent. Within the last six months, anyone who has gotten their yearly review should have gotten a 2% raise, but instead, the company has decided to give bi-annual bonuses, which are not equivalent to the raise, and are taxed more heavily.
    Hiring practices are the worst. They seem to want to fill the kitchen with warm bodies, rather than hiring qualified employees. Servers are all hired at 16 or 17 years old, given two days of training and expected to perform perfectly. They are paid minimum wage, no tips. Cooks are all from the same place, The Art Institute of Phoenix, because the executive chef also is a teacher there. Students can make good cooks, but more often than not, they quit within days or weeks. Training is also substandard. Cooks are trained for a few days and then expected to be as good as those who have been there for years.
    It also takes more than a month to be hired, once all the paperwork is completed.
    I did not used to be so unhappy. I plan to quit very soon.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not be afraid to promote employees. Employees who get raises and promotions will not become bored or burned out on their job. Do not be afraid to interview more than one person for the same job. Just because someone wants a job does not mean they are qualified or deserve it. Do some research, have them do a practice test, hire better employees and give them the raises, benefits, and promotions that they deserve.

Worked for Five Star Quality Care? Contribute to the Community!