Five9 Reviews

Updated September 16, 2014
Updated September 16, 2014
3.4

Mike Burkland

Great company that makes you feel like family

Former Employee - Enterprise Sales Director in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Enterprise Sales Director in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Five9 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great compensation for hard work

Cons

Not very organized from a partner/channel perspective

Don't assume your employees do things for certain reasons...ask them their reasoning for why they do what they do and you may be surprised how loyal they are to you and your organization when the appearance of what they did have seemed to send the opposite message.

Lack of Process Hurts Long-Term Viability

I worked at Five9 (more than an year)

Pros

* Compensation and benefits package were fantastic
    * Experienced an IPO during my tenure

Cons

* "Legacy" employees, particularly at high-levels, are preventing company from moving forward
    * Politics
    * Lack of transparency

The company values are preached, but not followed. Five9 needs to remove some key personnel as these legacy employees are holding tightly to their own views instead of working collaboratively. STOP USING THE TERM "IT IS WHAT IT IS!"

Lots of Potential at Five9. Room to Grow.

I worked at Five9 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Has all the benefits of working for a great company.

Family oriented + Work Hard Play Hard Mentality.

Great location and lots of company wide building excercises.

Cons

Very difficult to make improvements. A few are very resistant to change, but they are strongly resistant. Very very frustrating.

Don't back the wrong horse. Recognize the Negative Nancy's quickly and don't be afraid to get rid of them. You lose your top talent when they just get tired of it.

OK Work Enviornment, Company Has Potential

I have been working at Five9 full-time

Pros

Good company that is going places. Promotes work life balance. Nice people. Great CEO.

Cons

Some management encourages unethical practices. One sales manager is very inexperienced and does not provide useful training. The manager lacks actual sales experience and pushes for high numbers even when quality is bad.

Make sure you hire the right people for the role and not just friends and family.

Mar 5, 2014HR Director

Thank you for the feedback, we agree that Five9 "is going places." We hope you continue to enjoy your time here and we appreciate the constructive feedback.

Infrastructure unable to meet customer demands

I worked at Five9 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company that fosters input and creativity. Huge growth in all areas. Very competitive product.

Cons

Growing pains are causing the company to buckle internally. Support lacks depth and accountability.
    Engineering and development are mostly Russian and are reluctant to break away from build projects to for support issues. customer facing roles are vulnerable to clients outbursts with little infrastructure support with heavy escalations and delays.

Redesign entire operations model. Poor model in place now and outages make the support system most vulnerable, when it should be most effective.

Mar 5, 2014HR Director

Thank you for your feedback, and we wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Depressing work environment for Tech guys

Former Employee - Engineering Technology Specialist
    Former Employee - Engineering Technology Specialist

I worked at Five9 full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Business is still good, there are some great people to work with

Cons

Communication skills is the only thing you need to be successful at any role in this company. Core technical people don't survive in this kind of environment. Other departments try to close this gap and bring aboard people who have no idea what moving parts this product have.

Please find CTO who will start consolidating Tech and Business departments. That fighting to death between departments which was happening during last 3 years has almost destroyed your Engineering and is going to destroy your business.

Mar 5, 2014HR Director

I'm sorry to hear of your experience; this is not the work environment that we are trying to create. We want you to know that we have taken note of your experience, and thank you very much for the ... More

Five9 is a growing company full of capable people and a rewarding team environment.

I have been working at Five9 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent facilities, regular social events and family oriented team building efforts. All of the departments work together and the CEO is a fantastic leader who conveys his vision effectively.

Cons

San Ramon is in the inner east bay, far from San Francisco. The facilities are lacking in basic services like laundry as well as interesting food options, so employees have to drive to take advantage of those things. But the community in San Ramon has plenty to offer.

need 401K matching

Mar 5, 2014HR Director

We are very glad that you are pleased with the future potential of Five9, and hope you will continue to be happy working at Five9.

Five9 has the energy of a start-up, the expertise of a legacy, and the growth potential of Starbucks circa 1990.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Five9 full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Five9 is growing at an extremely quick pace, and employment is growing with it to a very corollary degree. Everyone here is attempting to increase productivity and improve the product and company. Management recognizes that sheer manpower is necessary to do so. Upper management is also extremely involved and concerned with lower level work capabilities and strives to create a seamless environment (ie ensuring projects do not bottleneck at the top).

Cons

There are some standard growing pains with Five9. As a rapidly growing company, it is difficult to ensure that every voice is heard, and that the total company culture truly exemplifies what individual departments are putting forward.

Keep up the great work!

Mar 5, 2014HR Director

We are glad to hear you are happy working at Five9, and we hope to continue promoting the culture you have enjoyed so far. We also appreciate the constructive feedback.

Fast growth, great market- A really great place to work!!

I have been working at Five9 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

dynamic, talented team-some of the best professionals i've ever worked with. Incredibly fast growth company, with a great market opportunity.

Cons

Some incompetent people were kept in leadership positions too long, has resulted in some quality issues. Company is growing very fast, focus is on the top line growth, and not morale or culture at this point. So many new people make it difficult without clear direction and strategic focus from the top.

Move faster when you know the wrong person is in a key position. Give clear goals- not just top line revenue goals, but specific departmental goals.

If you like cold calling and head bashing go Five9

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Five9 full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

CEO, Mike, tries his best to make this seem like it's a real company.

Cons

Management hired/promoted in the last 6 months is inept and simply put in place to expand in order for the company to go public. Five9 isn't ready to go public. We can't keep our solution on-line daily much less support more customers.

Sales, engineering, and management are the keys to success for Five9. Clean out the fat cows draining productivity. We were lean a year ago, making $$$, on our way to upgrading our system, now we gave that up and are sluggish and slow.