Five9

Updated December 12, 2014
Updated December 12, 2014
4.0

Mike Burkland

Excellent work environment full of very smart people who are truly passionate about their work

Current Employee - Anonymous in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Five9 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have been with the company for over a year and although I have observed the normal changes and growing pains a company goes through, I have noticed some things are very consistent: Very results driven environment; People who are here really care about their work and making a difference; Executives have an open-door policy and are very approachable and open to listening to feedback and suggestions; The company has some great things in store to help them towards dominating our space; a CEO who cares about this company and the work-force.

Cons

Day before Thanksgiving should be a half-day.

Micro-management is the killer of all productivity!

Good company, normal growing pains

Current Employee - Sales in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Five9 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company has a great product and roadmap, and is poised to be a serious competitor. IMO, we are an underdog that is still climbing our way up, based on our strong market potential. To me, this is a great time to be here and watch the success unfold. The company and management team values work-life balance, and does a lot to foster that culture through activities, free friday lunches, etc.

Cons

As with any fast growing company, we do have growing pains. Processes need optimizing, and we could use some training and development plans for the existing teams.

Invest in our known top performers, give them more resources to expand their reach and get out of their way - these are the folks that are going to take us to that next level!

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Senior Director in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Five9 full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Started at Five9 a few months ago and love it so far. IMO, company has a great work environment, capable executive team, and is at the cusp of the next growth stage.

Cons

The only con I would say is lack of some of the large company benefits, for e.g., 401k match. However, that is to be expected from a company this size (and at this stage of growth). Good news though is that new benefits are being added regularly.

at this point all I can say is "keep up the good work!"

Great Executive Staff, Company, Culture, and People!

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Five9 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A great company starts with great leadership and Mike is an amazing CEO that cares about his people and ensuring we have a great culture and all else follows when this foundation is set for people to do amazing things. I am a product manager and work with every group and team throughout the company. The one common trait I have discovered is that everybody cares and wants Five9 to succeed because they believe in the leadership and the people in the company.
    Company events are amazing and fun. The catered lunches are always fantastic!

Cons

Just wish they would bring the catered lunch to the 5th floor since the lines get long on the 4th floor for Friday catered lunches. Other than that, I love it here!

Keep doing what you are doing!

Lack of Process Hurts Long-Term Viability

I worked at Five9 (more than an year)

Pros

* Compensation and benefits package were fantastic
    * Experienced an IPO during my tenure

Cons

* "Legacy" employees, particularly at high-levels, are preventing company from moving forward
    * Politics
    * Lack of transparency

The company values are preached, but not followed. Five9 needs to remove some key personnel as these legacy employees are holding tightly to their own views instead of working collaboratively. STOP USING THE TERM "IT IS WHAT IT IS!"

Great company that makes you feel like family

Former Employee - Enterprise Sales Director in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Enterprise Sales Director in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Five9 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great compensation for hard work

Cons

Not very organized from a partner/channel perspective

Don't assume your employees do things for certain reasons...ask them their reasoning for why they do what they do and you may be surprised how loyal they are to you and your organization when the appearance of what they did have seemed to send the opposite message.

Lots of Potential at Five9. Room to Grow.

I worked at Five9 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Has all the benefits of working for a great company.

Family oriented + Work Hard Play Hard Mentality.

Great location and lots of company wide building excercises.

Cons

Very difficult to make improvements. A few are very resistant to change, but they are strongly resistant. Very very frustrating.

Don't back the wrong horse. Recognize the Negative Nancy's quickly and don't be afraid to get rid of them. You lose your top talent when they just get tired of it.

OK Work Enviornment, Company Has Potential

I have been working at Five9 full-time

Pros

Good company that is going places. Promotes work life balance. Nice people. Great CEO.

Cons

Some management encourages unethical practices. One sales manager is very inexperienced and does not provide useful training. The manager lacks actual sales experience and pushes for high numbers even when quality is bad.

Make sure you hire the right people for the role and not just friends and family.

Mar 5, 2014HR Director

Thank you for the feedback, we agree that Five9 "is going places." We hope you continue to enjoy your time here and we appreciate the constructive feedback.

Infrastructure unable to meet customer demands

I worked at Five9 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company that fosters input and creativity. Huge growth in all areas. Very competitive product.

Cons

Growing pains are causing the company to buckle internally. Support lacks depth and accountability.
    Engineering and development are mostly Russian and are reluctant to break away from build projects to for support issues. customer facing roles are vulnerable to clients outbursts with little infrastructure support with heavy escalations and delays.

Redesign entire operations model. Poor model in place now and outages make the support system most vulnerable, when it should be most effective.

Mar 5, 2014HR Director

Thank you for your feedback, and we wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Depressing work environment for Tech guys

Former Employee - Engineering Technology Specialist
    Former Employee - Engineering Technology Specialist

I worked at Five9 full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Business is still good, there are some great people to work with

Cons

Communication skills is the only thing you need to be successful at any role in this company. Core technical people don't survive in this kind of environment. Other departments try to close this gap and bring aboard people who have no idea what moving parts this product have.

Please find CTO who will start consolidating Tech and Business departments. That fighting to death between departments which was happening during last 3 years has almost destroyed your Engineering and is going to destroy your business.

Mar 5, 2014HR Director

I'm sorry to hear of your experience; this is not the work environment that we are trying to create. We want you to know that we have taken note of your experience, and thank you very much for the ... More