FivePrime Therapeutics

Updated Jul 3, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Lewis T. "Rusty" Williams

Awesome and friendly work environment

Lab Technician (Former Employee)
    South San Francisco, CA

ProsClean spacious work environment, tea & snacks, company outings, gym, personal computer to use during down time, and friendly overhead and staff

Consthere is nothing bad I can say about the company

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

Needs management overhaul

Upper Level Scientist (Current Employee)

ProsSome people really care and will do everything they can to help you.

ConsNot sure how fake the previous review is, but I'll say extremely fake. Clean and spacious work environment? Gym? You mean our cube farm (which is clean) and our fitness "center" which is an old storage room with a stepper and a treadmill? Company Outings? Our one summer event and our lame holiday party? There is a definite atmosphere of favoritism. This is a small enough company that everyone knows who isn't pulling their weight or who is having a tantrum, but no one ever does anything about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementFresh blood. Fresh blood! We need honesty from our leadership. We need a new CEO that can articulate what we are doing. Please take into account that you don't know everything about our work environment and coworkers, and listen to the worker bees. We make the place run. You don't. You really don't. I'm so very tired of hanging on to see us get to the next level when I see poor decisions pushing us back down into the mud.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Failure to complete

Scientist (Current Employee)
    South San Francisco, CA

ProsSome people are really engaged and love their jobs. The worker bees are great to be around and make work good.

ConsHR department doesn't support raises or increasing benefits. Upper management is mostly seen as inept. Drugs are not advancing into the clinic. CEO talks about strategy but doesn't say what that strategy is. CEO talks like everything is great, but seems upset with everything. Don't see any career advancement in place.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to erase the culture of retaliation if an employee brings up honest issues - you will be seen as a problem. Stop saying we can't afford to do certain benefits and make it happen. We don't believe you when we can see what you make.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No leadership at the highest levels

ProsSometimes we get leftovers for lunch.

ConsRusty Williams, the CEO, seems incapable of actually fulfilling the role of a great CEO. I don't see any strategic guidance for the company. There is no "this is what we need to do to get to here." Rusty very clearly plays favorites and allows certain members of upper management a wide leeway to do what they want and be as rude as they want. Anyone who thinks that Rusty is a nice guy doesn't really know him. Egomaniac describes many members of the EC perfectly.

Advice to Senior ManagementTwo members of the EC clearly need to retire. Just because Rusty founded FivePrime doesn't mean he needs to stay here forever. He is not the only person capable of making decisions.

Good Place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood pay, great people to work with

ConsDidn't like the shift bids

The usual growing pains of a growing company that is struggling to survive in a down market.

South San Francisco, CA

ProsPeople are generally fun and easy to get along with. Intelligent and capable management group with lots of potential. Medium sized company with small company feel where everyone knows everyone.

ConsWorkload is not evenly distributed. Career development is not emphasized. Difficult to move up within the organization. Five Prime does not support continual education and growth. Promotions aren't necessarily merit based. Morale is generally fairly low.

Advice to Senior ManagementMorale is very low, so motivation to do work is lacking. Those that put in the most work want to feel more appreciated, not less. Too many folks with idle time, reallocation of FTE is necessary.

Great and friendly place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    South San Francisco, CA

ProsThe average age of the employees is below 40. It's a very dynamic atmosphere, where upper management cares about the success of it's employees.

ConsThey generally hire only entry level personnel. The work, although is cutting edge, it is very repetitive.

Fiveprime has a failure to thrive

South San Francisco, CA

ProsPeople are fun and generally really nice. Job/career/ project growth is possible with hard work and a little luck.

ConsLack of strong leadership. Lack of INDs. Lower than average pay without acknowledgment by the executives.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your employees. Make some good project decisions, we are counting on your knowledge and leadership.

Worked for FivePrime Therapeutics? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at FivePrime Therapeutics reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for FivePrime Therapeutics CEO Lewis T. "Rusty" Williams. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by FivePrime Therapeutics employees.