FivePrime Therapeutics

Updated August 18, 2014
Updated August 18, 2014
2.8

Lewis T. "Rusty" Williams

Good training place for aspiring scientist

I worked at FivePrime Therapeutics

Pros

Many cool projects. The CEO is very respected within the field.

Cons

People don't seem to like their job. Lots of disgruntled, over-qualified RA.

Awesome and friendly work environment

Former Employee - Lab Technician  in  South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Lab Technician in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at FivePrime Therapeutics part-time for less than a year

Pros

Clean spacious work environment, tea & snacks, company outings, gym, personal computer to use during down time, and friendly overhead and staff

Cons

there is nothing bad I can say about the company

Keep it up!

Needs management overhaul

Current Employee - Upper Level Scientist
    Current Employee - Upper Level Scientist

I have been working at FivePrime Therapeutics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some people really care and will do everything they can to help you.

Cons

Not sure how fake the previous review is, but I'll say extremely fake. Clean and spacious work environment? Gym? You mean our cube farm (which is clean) and our fitness "center" which is an old storage room with a stepper and a treadmill? Company Outings? Our one summer event and our lame holiday party? There is a definite atmosphere of favoritism. This is a small enough company that everyone knows who isn't pulling their weight or who is having a tantrum, but no one ever does anything about it.

Fresh blood. Fresh blood! We need honesty from our leadership. We need a new CEO that can articulate what we are doing. Please take into account that you don't know everything about our work environment and coworkers, and listen to the worker bees. We make the place run. You don't. You really don't. I'm so very tired of hanging on to see us get to the next level when I see poor decisions pushing us back down into the mud.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Failure to complete

Current Employee - Scientist  in  South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Scientist in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at FivePrime Therapeutics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some people are really engaged and love their jobs. The worker bees are great to be around and make work good.

Cons

HR department doesn't support raises or increasing benefits. Upper management is mostly seen as inept. Drugs are not advancing into the clinic. CEO talks about strategy but doesn't say what that strategy is. CEO talks like everything is great, but seems upset with everything. Don't see any career advancement in place.

Management needs to erase the culture of retaliation if an employee brings up honest issues - you will be seen as a problem. Stop saying we can't afford to do certain benefits and make it happen. We don't believe you when we can see what you make.

No leadership at the highest levels

I have been working at FivePrime Therapeutics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Sometimes we get leftovers for lunch.

Cons

Rusty Williams, the CEO, seems incapable of actually fulfilling the role of a great CEO. I don't see any strategic guidance for the company. There is no "this is what we need to do to get to here." Rusty very clearly plays favorites and allows certain members of upper management a wide leeway to do what they want and be as rude as they want. Anyone who thinks that Rusty is a nice guy doesn't really know him. Egomaniac describes many members of the EC perfectly.

Two members of the EC clearly need to retire. Just because Rusty founded FivePrime doesn't mean he needs to stay here forever. He is not the only person capable of making decisions.

Good Place to work

I worked at FivePrime Therapeutics full-time

Pros

good pay, great people to work with

Cons

Didn't like the shift bids

The usual growing pains of a growing company that is struggling to survive in a down market.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at FivePrime Therapeutics

Pros

People are generally fun and easy to get along with. Intelligent and capable management group with lots of potential. Medium sized company with small company feel where everyone knows everyone.

Cons

Workload is not evenly distributed. Career development is not emphasized. Difficult to move up within the organization. Five Prime does not support continual education and growth. Promotions aren't necessarily merit based. Morale is generally fairly low.

Morale is very low, so motivation to do work is lacking. Those that put in the most work want to feel more appreciated, not less. Too many folks with idle time, reallocation of FTE is necessary.

Great and friendly place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at FivePrime Therapeutics

Pros

The average age of the employees is below 40. It's a very dynamic atmosphere, where upper management cares about the success of it's employees.

Cons

They generally hire only entry level personnel. The work, although is cutting edge, it is very repetitive.

Fiveprime has a failure to thrive

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at FivePrime Therapeutics

Pros

People are fun and generally really nice. Job/career/ project growth is possible with hard work and a little luck.

Cons

Lack of strong leadership. Lack of INDs. Lower than average pay without acknowledgment by the executives.

Appreciate your employees. Make some good project decisions, we are counting on your knowledge and leadership.

Worked for FivePrime Therapeutics? Contribute to the Community!