FixYa

Yaniv Bensadon

Passion, Integrity, and Accountability

Current Employee - Executive in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Executive in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at FixYa full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Over the last year we had great success hiring and retaining great people who's passion, dedication, and execution helped us achieve what we have so far.

Fixya is one of the very few consumer brands out there who managed to be self-sustained and innovative at the same time while using limited resources. The only way we could have done that, is by finding the great and rare talent who's both committed and capable executing in these demanding conditions.

With 8 years in business, 6 of which are in the bay area, we've figured out the types of employees who could thrive in our challenging and rewarding environment. While some of the commentary here about our turnover is simply untrue, our recruiting hasn't been perfect.

Cons

When it comes to performance driven positions and like most companies out there, we find it hard to determine which candidates posses the skills and ability to achieve the goals they set for themselves versus the one who will not.

Unfortunately, the same candidates who don't even come close to their objectives are the ones blaming everyone but themselves for their failures, including on this site.

We're definitely learning from these experiences, and will try better to find the folks who are not only sharing the passion and skills for building a great product and business, but also posses the integrity and accountability to realize and admit when they can or can't achieve the objective they set for themselves.

Poor ethics

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at FixYa full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Overall the experience working here is horrible. Despite that the following are some pros
    people other than the management are interested in their work. The work place itself is decent, but not nearly as good.

Cons

Absolutely no idea in how to run a company, this place is a mess. I would not even recommend this to my fiercest enemy. Somehow you get in the door, you feel this place is going to be great - well, that's the picture they paint. Once you get in it's a nightmare - from the company culture, to work ethics to politics.

Do your work and stand as an example.

Dont work here if you value your sanity

Former Employee - Product Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in San Mateo, CA

I worked at FixYa full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Your fellow employees are the best part of the job. The CEO has a knack for hiring great people, even though they don't stick around. I met some wonderful people that I still keep in touch with. There's sort of a FixYa veterans club where you can commiserate with others who know the hell you've been through. I would say the salary is good because that's how he gets people in the door, but the stock options suck.

Cons

Many of the cons in other reviews are true: high turnover, scammy-ness of the site. The CEO, however, is by far the worst part of it. He has a lot of confidence, and can inspire you at times. But then he'll change his mind, reverse what he said the PREVIOUS day, insist he never asked you to do something he actually agreed to, and all sorts of other mind games. You can't trust him. And he does other things like skimp on vacation days and PTO.

Dear Board of Directors, please change the CEO. You all are either not fulfilling your director's duties to manage the company, or you are powerless against the founder/CEO of the company. If the latter, then all is lost.

The worst company in Silicon Valley with the WORST leadership

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at FixYa full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice offices, free gym membership, free lunch on Friday

Cons

A dictator like environment, extreme turnover, poor executive leadership. They hire and fire people at will, some people just stop coming in to the office, there is no direction or leadership of any sort. The entire site is a spam farm for AdWords and click fraud.

Treat employees better and learn to value employee contributions. This company is failing and the CEO is the main reason.

Things still haven't changed

I worked at FixYa full-time

Pros

- the enormous amount of SEO traffic they get from essentially using another sites' product catalog and attaching a bunch of user generated content to it
    - the pay is ok

Cons

I have worked at many startups in the Bay Area, and the months I spent here were the worst. The company is the kind of place where people are fired on Christmas so they don't have to pay for the extra week before the New Year.

You will be promised the 30 million monthly uniques and the endless opportunities during the interviews, but you are essentially there to do whatever the CEO tells you to do. The Steve Jobs complex only works when its Steve Jobs...

I would stay away from this company if you value your self-esteem and sanity. You will start to avoid looking at your emails over the weekend because there is at least one the CEO sent you over the weekend that will ruin it for you.

Having worked at other hard-working and fast paced startups, the culture at this company is not normal nor productive, and its time the VCs do something about it. No possible exit strategy exists since a Yahoo! or Google would never buy such a dysfunctional group of people.

none

Hands down, the worst company to work for!!!

I worked at FixYa full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice offices and free gym membership

Cons

The company is run like a complete dictatorship. You are treated like a factory employee. You have no voice and when you do speak up, you are in danger of losing your job. The only employees that last over 6 months are the ones that aren't driven enough to care or the ones that are stuck there because of a work visa (Fixya strategically hires those types of employees so that they don't leave). The CEO has a major ego and acts as if he is Steve Jobs. He always needs to be right, even when he is wrong (which is most of the time). The only thing he actually knows how to do is drive fake traffic to his site. They purchase irrelevant keywords to drive you to the site and then they integrate text ads within the problem/solution area so that you can mistakenly click on it. That's how they make their revenue. It's a complete scam!

Step down, step down, step down!!!

Not a typical "start-up"

I have been working at FixYa full-time

Pros

You can work with a great group of people, and the user offering is great.

Cons

- Difficult to build/maintain a business or revenue stream.
    - Turnover is unbelievable.

Hands down, the worst experience of my professional life.

I worked at FixYa full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company occupies very nice offices. Another 'Pro" is that I met some excellent coworkers in my time there, but the great people were there despite the CEO, not because of him.

Cons

Everything you can think of, times 1,000. Check LinkedIn - the numbers don't lie - how many San Mateo employees have been there over a year?. Fixya turnover was 100% per year during my brief and miserable time there, and it appears it has not approved. Many are fired, many quit, and at least one person breaks down in tears every week. The CEO denies this is a problem. Strategy changes at least twice a year. Extremely hard to recruit because of company's reputation. People are not valued. Everyone is under suspicion. Extremely hierarchical for a Silicon Valley company. Fixya is the exact opposite of the culture (open, open minded, democratic, positive, agile, egalitarian, visionary, focused, enthusiastic, intelligent, self-aware) that has made Silicon Valley so wildly successful. Since leaving there, I apply a simple formula to every question: 'What would FixYa or FixYa's leader do in this situation?' - then I do the exact opposite. Really the most negative, stifling, depressing place I've ever had the misfortune to experience.

There's no advice. There is no hope. Lock and shutter the offices and find a different career.

Having a blast

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at FixYa full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Joined Fixya about a month ago and having a blast.
    Great to be at a company where you can help shape the future direction of the product, as well as the business model.
    Lots of growth opportunities. Lots of new hires joining w/ diverse skill sets

Cons

Would be Great to have more variety w/ the free lunches.

Not worth the time - 80% turnover in less than 6 months

I worked at FixYa full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You will form strong bonds with the people you work with as you search for sanity. Plenty of space in the office since barely anyone makes it over a year. Become friends with the mannequins as soon as you can as they are the only "employees" who will still be there when you leave or get fired.

Cons

At your interview, you will be promised the world and complete freedom to succeed. You will soon find out this is not true at all. Simply ask any employee who has been here over a year (good luck finding any management who is still there over a year).

All of the one star reviews here are from actual employees who worked there. The 5 star reviews are from management, offsite contractors or people who have worked at Fixya for less than 6 months. There are very few employees whom make it past the 1 year mark.

I wish I had never worked here. I personally watched 12+ people leave in 6 months. Some quit with 2 week notices, some got fired during the holidays, and some just got up and left and never came back...seriously. I never seen this at any Bay Area company.

There is no trust and in the end your skills and talents will be wasted. You will find yourself questioning your own abilities and you will leave here feeling mentally and emotionally exhausted.

I found it funny that the dishwasher leaked in the kitchen everyday.

Have more respect for your employees. Don't treat them as disposable factory workers and in return your company might actually succeed.

FixYa Photos