Flack + Kurtz

Be The First To
Add Photos

Flack + Kurtz WSP Group CEO Christopher Cole

Christopher Cole

Excellent people and work environment

HVAC Intern (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsMost of the employees are extremely nice and willing to help. Anytime an intern asks a question employees will always take time to answer. Not much separation between upper management and entry positions, everyone interacted and talked.

ConsThe group I was with unfortunately stuck on a major project so a lot of my work was monotonous but all the other interns had a big variety of work in office and outside of office.

Nice People but gives low compensation to employees without titled positions

--- (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsNice, respectful, intelligent people. Good projects. Ok to start your career with.

ConsLow wages and no bonus to people without an Associate and up title. You have to be an associate or higher position for them to even give importance to you. It is not uncommon for employees to leave the company voluntarily.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat all employees right so they don't leave the company.

ok place to learn from and move on.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCo-workers are nice and helpful

ConsVP's don't care what directors or managent does to staff.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great firm, little pay

Electrical Design Engineer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat upper management.
    Great mentors for new grad engineers.
    Overtime pay.
    Casual Fridays during the summer.

ConsLittle pay.
    No bonuses.
    Long hours.
    Small work station.
    No work-life balance.

Very valuable learning experience for some one out of college.

ProsA lot of people to ask questions and learn from.

ConsDeadline driven so people are very stressed at times

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Not a place where employees are valued

Designer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsSustainable engineering is a major focal point of all designs at the firm
    Very laid back atmosphere
    A great place to learn, depending on supervisor, for entry level candidates

ConsHas become almost as corporate as AECOM
    Responsibility to compensation ratio is skewed
    Little to no quality control when submitting drawings to clients
    Upper level management does not support lower to mid level staff
    Management uses intimidation to discourage discourse regarding responsibilities/ compensation
    Promotion metrics are designed to prohibit advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementStart compensating low to mid level staff appropriately
    Provide mentoring and guidance for low and mid level staff
    Listen to employee concerns and be available for assistance on projects

Cutting edge engineering

Vice President (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsSome of the best engineers I've ever met worked at Flack + Kurtz. I learned so much from them while I worked there. The projects are world class, and I gained vast experience from net zero campuses, to landmark high rise buildings.

ConsCompensation just about average and one has to fight to get that. Company was very well run by management until multiple takeovers introduced a big corporate structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementReturn focus on employees, satisfaction, retention and development.

Good experience overall

Designer (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGood teamwork atmosphere and good working environment.

ConsLow salary and small benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould review salaries

A good office to start a career

Associate (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsA large company to experience all levels of engineering with chance for advancement throughout the US and world, other than the Boston office

ConsOverpowering upper management in the Boston office not allowing junior employees have input or to be apart of the decision making process

Advice to Senior ManagementOverpowering upper management in the Boston office not allowing junior employees have input or to be apart of the decision making process

Flack + Kurtz

Designer (Current Employee)

ProsThe people here are really laid back and not the type to pressure you if you can get all your work done. You complete your work at your own pace. Each time is about 6 people with one or two CAD operators depending on the team. There are senior staff placed over almost every team. There's a F+K community here that feels almost like family and I guess it's up to you whether you want to join it or not. There are sports teams and holiday parties that a lot of people get really into. As far as standards of work go, everyone knows what they're doing especially the senior staff.

ConsSome downsides are that the departments may have some miscommunication sometimes as is the case everywhere, I think. It's not easy to get to know people here and so if you're looking to mesh your personal life with your co-workers that would probably be difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise that they do a better job of identifying those key, talented people who are good for the company and recognizing them through promotions or awards or better projects and privileges, etc. There are some who go unnoticed, I think, at every level. Likewise, those who are slacking off sometimes fly under the radar as well, but many will not say that their coworkers are not doing what they should.

Worked for Flack + Kurtz? Contribute to the Community!