Flagstar Bancorp

Updated January 28, 2015
2.4

Flagstar Bancorp President & CEO Alessandro P. DiNello
Alessandro P. DiNello

Pros
  • Some good people who mean well, but quality leadership is sorely lacking (in 7 reviews)

• Competitive pay, normal hours, good benefits, good PTO, opportunity to move up (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • And often changes in upper management in the last 3 or 4 years (in 7 reviews)

• Flagstar has little room for advancement (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company to work for during a difficult period for banks.

I worked at Flagstar Bancorp

Pros

Exceptional work/life balance and culture.

Cons

Limited opportunities for upward progression.

Part Time FSR

I worked at Flagstar Bancorp

Pros

Great people, good job while in school

Cons

Some customers can be rude.

Rocky Ride

I have been working at Flagstar Bancorp

Pros

The company has benefits including healthcare, vision, dental, and life insurance.

The company observes 11 holidays with pay, and now offers one paid community involvement day to participate in volunteer activities the company supports.

The work environment is such that folks do work hard to solve problems and accomplish objectives at the individual level, department level, and organizational level.

Cons

The leadership turnover is crazy, which produces a whiplash affect on the employment base due to new directions, new processes, and new ideas of how they want things done.

The out of pocket costs for premiums, co-pays, and co-insurnace are higher here compared to other employers I've worked for at the same level of coverage. This could be due to higher costs of healthcare overall, and/or due to the financial stability of the company.

The payscales are published which show huge six-figure salaries, but good luck in ever really getting ahead via promotion or via substantive merit increases.

The full time employee headcount is fixed which means new positions which could pay more cannot be created to allow promotions within, and the promotion opportunities that do exist are most often filled from the outside.

The company lacks a 360 performance review of management to allow feedback on how they are performing, so your boss can get away with behavior that her/his boss doesn't even know about.

Despite huge layoffs leaving only the best employees, the company has decided to make those who remain feel even worse about their individual performance by limiting the % of people who can get "outstanding" and "above average" performance ratings, and wants most everyone to be in the "meets" performance goals rating to pay little to nothing for our contributions.

Communicate more often about the direction of the company, our progress and challenges to overcome.

Improve compensation for non-commissioned staff. People work for money - just like you. The more you pay, the more we want to work hard to get ahead too.

Increase the paid time off. The amount of PTO is low.

Business Client Service

Former Employee - Business Client Service in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Business Client Service in Troy, MI

I worked at Flagstar Bancorp

Pros

Paycheck every two week
    37.5 work week (pro and con)

Cons

Hours changed weekly
    No incentive programs
    No OT
    Progression to other departments nonexistent

Senior Loan Officer

Current Employee - Senior Home Loan Advisor
    Current Employee - Senior Home Loan Advisor

I have been working at Flagstar Bancorp full-time (more than a year)

Pros

clean work environment, no clock punch, managers are nice

Cons

very little coorporate support, no direction,

Abusive Environment

I worked at Flagstar Bancorp

Pros

I loved what I was doing and my customers but I had to quit because it was way too stressful working for a manager who was abusive towards employees in Orion. Many quit before and after I did and she is still there? This is the problem at Flagstar.

Cons

Terrible hours at branches. Dangerous environment. Locking a person in a branch by them selves after everyone had left for the day so they can run the drive thru a little longer and exit building by themselves!

Don't leave people in positions because they are hitting their goals where employees are constantly leaving a location because of them. This is brining the company down. Don't value goals over good employees.

Stressful place to work

Former Employee - Data Security in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Data Security in Troy, MI

I worked at Flagstar Bancorp

Pros

Could work from home to avoid the physical contact from the boss throwing things at you. Work not that difficult.

Cons

Management is poor. Abusive. Management didnt allow having time off after a child or a loss of a child. HR doesn't want to deal with the issues. I've had a manager throw things, call people names, and then cry in meeting. Even if for short term, I would not recommend this place.

Listen to your employees. A survey doesn't do a thing if changes are not made....didn't have to be painful or fearful to be at work and with nobody to help with the abuse. All you did was give her was another permotion; making her belive what she did was okay. She should have been walked out. I'm sure the people that really want to make the positive changes are not working with the right people to know what's really wrong. People are afraid to say something.

Fun for the most part

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Flagstar Bancorp full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I have definitely lucked out working here. My team is a good one. The managers I have had, have been great mentors and are always finding ways to help you grow and succeed. There is opportunity to grow. Sometimes close by an somtimes moving might be required. Upper Management can be alright but sometimes can be a bit unreasonable in their exexpectations. All in all, it is good place to work.

Cons

Lending is horrible. Process is drug out.
    Pay could be much better for the responsibility that some personal bankers carry.
    Goals for assistant managers should be changed to branch goals.

If a banker has more than one responsibility, e.g. personal banker plus certified lender be sure they are making a base pay especially if they are performing well.
    Please change assistant manager goals to a branch focused goal.

Company was once cutting edge - the changes in the market appear to have caught Flagstar wrong-footed

Current Employee - Account Executive in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Troy, MI

I have been working at Flagstar Bancorp full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It was once a culture of growth and improvement

Cons

Very poor culture - discouraging place to work. Its suffocating

The attitude at corporate is horrendous...and that negativity spreads to all corners of the company

Decent company, little to no advancement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

I have been working at Flagstar Bancorp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Training is very well run, the expertise of the staff provides exceptional insight to new hires. Bank Holidays are a very nice perk. Compensation is average with industry.

Cons

This company has legacy issues that have stunted its growth. This causes the working environment to have a lot of conflict due to lack of advancement. Additionally, a struggling housing market is causing multiple staff reductions.

Management should encourage innovation within the company without fear of retaliation. This company is hurting itself by not letting its employees share ideas and encourage their creativity. A key concept of change is innovation and it is not rewarded, instead successes go unrecognized and feedback is discouraged.