Flagstar Bancorp

Updated October 22, 2014
2.5

Flagstar Bancorp President & CEO Alessandro P. DiNello
Alessandro P. DiNello

Pros
  • Some good people who mean well, but quality leadership is sorely lacking (in 7 reviews)

• Competitive pay, normal hours, good benefits, good PTO, opportunity to move up (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • And often changes in upper management in the last 3 or 4 years (in 7 reviews)

• Flagstar has little room for advancement (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Started better than it ended

Former Employee - Senior Retail Banking Assistant in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Retail Banking Assistant in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Flagstar Bancorp

Pros

It is a very employee-focused company, with many events designed to help decrease employee stress levels and to give them a reason to come to work. We had National Pancake Day, where we were greeted with pancakes, sausage and orange juice for breakfast. This company has subscribed to the "Fish Philosophy" and a "Get on the Bus" iniative and recognizes those who do a good job, sometimes even a handwritten note from one of the higer ups. It employs a majority of females, due to the industry, so it's a nice break from any male-dominated industry.

Cons

Due to the economic problems, the bank has suffered, recently selling its branches in Indiana and Georgia. There are not many options to move up in the company, (at least until the economy recovers fully) as positions have also been eliminated.

Don't lose that employee relationship aspect, no matter how bad things get. Make sure they all know that you are in it together, because it is so hard for tellers to relate to upper management.

Get to work with newer technology

Current Employee - Software Developer in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Troy, MI

I have been working at Flagstar Bancorp

Pros

Willingness to move onto new technologies, REST SOA type approaches.
    Independence and autonomy can be nice, so long as you get good work done in the end.

Cons

Management Change-Over a couple of years ago, and being owned by venture capitalist means a sale of the bank to a bigger bank is likely and the inevitable shakeup that will cause has caused a brain drain of experienced knowledgeable employees, this can be viewed as more opportunity for new people joining the organization to fill such openings.

Try and capitalize on the unique aspects of Flagstar, make sure those unique aspects are not crushed as we try and move into other areas. The concern is we will be just like all other banks, differentiated in the marketplace. Keep up with the superior customer service.

Flagstar Bank will elevate you to new levels, if you do the same for them

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Flagstar Bancorp

Pros

Flagstar Bank offers a level of security that is not found in larger financial institutions today. The institution is primarily run by a family who started the firm and has been in the business for 39 years. They are very family focused and the employees reap the benefits with support from management. There was an employee who passed away a few years ago and left behind children and a wife and had no life insurance. The leadership stepped up and created a fund to help the family is very short order. That in itself speaks volumes about the type of firm you would be working for. Do not be mistaken, they are very shrewd and make the tough decisions every day. But overall, Flagstar is an amazing company to work for.

Cons

Recent private equity investment injecting the typical big bank mentality after years of bliss

Listen to other than yourselves!

Management unorganized and lacked professionalism in the department.

Former Employee - Loss Mitigation Speciaist in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Loss Mitigation Speciaist in Troy, MI

I worked at Flagstar Bancorp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Overtime available, bank holidays, and flexibility with schedule. Opportunities to move into different roles within department.

Cons

Lack of training and lack of leadership.

Be honest with your employees.

I learned the difference between wholesale mortgage banking and retail mortgage banking

I worked at Flagstar Bancorp (less than an year)

Pros

i was exposed to a lot of avenues to originate loans with real estate agents and I learned a lot of ways to originate loans from cold calls.

Cons

I was told when I was hired that Flagstar sent loans to other banks for service if they didn't have a program available for a customer but found out this was untrue...also at the time of my employment processing was very slow...may have improved by now...

Be honest, assist new loan officers regarding mortgage products and dealing with clients...

Things are improving

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Troy, MI

I have been working at Flagstar Bancorp full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Senior level management is trying to make improvements. Things have been quite unstable for last several years, but it feels like things are looking up.

Cons

Mid level management has been around too long. No matter how much senior management tries to make improvements, mid level managers are stubborn and unwilling to change. Most managers at that level are only in their position because of seniority. They lack the skills needed to mentor their employees. We basically just do what we are told, so there is really no opportunity to shine and that is sad as there are a lot of brilliant minds at Flagstar. If only their voices were being heard.

Senior management is doing good job communicating to their direct staff but it stops there. Spend some time to really evaluate your middle management team. Take the time to really listen to what people are saying and do something about it.

AVP in the National Sales and Development Department

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President National Sales in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President National Sales in Troy, MI

I worked at Flagstar Bancorp full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed the work that I did and the people I worked with. They had great benefits that included, health insurance, vacation time, and 401K.

Cons

After working at Flagstar for 18 years, I was not able to advance any further within the company and due to downsizing, my position was combined with another area and my position eliminated.

My advise to management would be better communication. They had a tendency to keep the companies financial position and/or plans amongst themselves, leaving those that were in jeopardy of loosing their jobs without an opportunity to find other employment.

Challenging

Current Employee - Supervisor Servicing in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Supervisor Servicing in Troy, MI

I have been working at Flagstar Bancorp full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Safe environment, good cafeteria and relaxed dress code

Cons

Business units don't support bank mission

Support your employees, they are human beings not work horses

If you like working with good people this place might be for you.

I have been working at Flagstar Bancorp full-time

Pros

The people that work in the branches really care about their customers and doing the right thing, The customers are amazing the daily work has a lot of responsibility but is satisfying.

Cons

Management continues to change and the work day goals change with it. They have too many meetings with no substance.

They do not take a look at what is actually happening at the branches or listen so this would be useless.

Good company

I have been working at Flagstar Bancorp full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

work close to home and love the customer networking

Cons

No career development plan for a person who desire to transition into a different department.

Provide better career development mapping.