Flagstar Bank Reviews

Reset
2.6
Flagstar Bank President & CEO Alessandro P. DiNello
Alessandro P. DiNello

Pros
  • There are a lot of good people, but also a lot of fake people (in 7 reviews)

• clean work environment, no clock punch, managers are nice (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • And often changes in upper management in the last 3 or 4 years (in 7 reviews)

• There is little room for advancement and the leadership is constantly changing goals (in 4 reviews)

1. Good stuff

Current Employee - Clerk in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Clerk in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Flagstar Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company, reputable corpoation that is good

Cons

none that I can think of

Advice to Management

none that i can think of

2. awesome

Current Employee - Teller in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Teller in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Flagstar Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

this company has awesome pay

Cons

i have absolutely nothing bad to say

Advice to Management

continue to make the workplace an awesome place

3. Fantastic internship program!

Current Employee - Data Governance in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Data Governance in Troy, MI

I have been working at Flagstar Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As an intern, you are treated as an equal and they make sure to train you for the banking environment just as they would for any other role. At other companies, a peer was my mentor. At Flagstar, my supervisor was my mentor and she made sure that I was recieving the best experience possible by introducing me to technologies that would help to advance my career. More importantly, she was never too busy for me and was willing to spend as much time to help me gain an understanding as to what is expected. She wanted me to know what my role was and to be able to confidently talk about my tasks. This is not the type of internship filled with fetching coffee for the superiors and filing. They definitely expose you to important tasks that are meaningful to the company. Aside from learning my role, I was also encouraged to explore other roles by setting up short meetings so that I can watch their day-to-say activities. This is helpful for those who are undecided in what they want to pursue an advanced degree in because you have the opportunity to watch each role in a work environment opposed to classroom curriculum. I can't say enough good things about this internship experience. Not only do they want you to succeed while working for them, but also in your future career.

Cons

Very short internship (3 months) with no opportunity for job placement afterwards. No benefits.

Exciting rapid pace of change with a great company!

I have been working at Flagstar Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great work enviornment with some of the most knowledgable, experienced, and hardworking people in their fields. Team work is off the charts. The rapid pace of change and being at a company who is at the top of their industry is exciting. While a lot of the senior management has changed all the existing and new management are committed and very accessable. The culture is evolving and there seems to be committment from the top to continue improving it. Ability to provide feedback and see change is great. The corporate committment to grow and expand each business line provides a lot of opportunity. Employee recognition and development continues to grow. Employee perks for financial services is great. Really appreciate the work/life balance.

Cons

Past poor financial history and management has made it difficult to change the culture as this takes time. It continues to improve each day.

Advice to Management

Continue to build the culture and invest in development and accountability of employees. Further investment in technology internal and external.

6. It was great. No complaints.

Former Employee - Summer Intern in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Troy, MI

Pros

Great pay and love the employees. Very kind and great atmosphere.

Cons

Boring, days can feel long just sitting at a desk all day

7. Bilingual Mortgage Servicer

Former Employee - Bilingual Mortgage Servicer in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Bilingual Mortgage Servicer in Troy, MI

I worked at Flagstar Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay and benefits. The employees there are professional and polite. Great place to work if you live near by.

Cons

It is a far commute to Troy from Southgate. You deal with people's lives and home, essentially. It can be stressful at first because it is a lot however, can be very rewarding.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to provide training in a bigger room while getting refresher courses or supplemental training. I liked the redroom more than the grey :) Training should be more thorough and provide exercises to get better understanding.

8. Great company with lots of training available.

Pros

Very high tech and cutting edge.

Cons

Sometimes a little too much technology.

Get to work with newer technology

Current Employee - Software Developer in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Troy, MI

Pros

Willingness to move onto new technologies, REST SOA type approaches. Independence and autonomy can be nice, so long as you get good work done in the end.

Cons

Management Change-Over a couple of years ago, and being owned by venture capitalist means a sale of the bank to a bigger bank is likely and the inevitable shakeup that will cause has caused a brain drain of experienced knowledgeable employees, this can be viewed as more opportunity for new people joining the organization to fill such openings.

Advice to Management

Try and capitalize on the unique aspects of Flagstar, make sure those unique aspects are not crushed as we try and move into other areas. The concern is we will be just like all other banks, differentiated in the marketplace. Keep up with the superior customer service.

Started better than it ended

Former Employee - Senior Retail Banking Assistant in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Retail Banking Assistant in Ann Arbor, MI

Pros

It is a very employee-focused company, with many events designed to help decrease employee stress levels and to give them a reason to come to work. We had National Pancake Day, where we were greeted with pancakes, sausage and orange juice for breakfast. This company has subscribed to the "Fish Philosophy" and a "Get on the Bus" iniative and recognizes those who do a good job, sometimes even a handwritten note from one of the higer ups. It employs a majority of females, due to the industry, so it's a nice break from any male-dominated industry.

Cons

Due to the economic problems, the bank has suffered, recently selling its branches in Indiana and Georgia. There are not many options to move up in the company, (at least until the economy recovers fully) as positions have also been eliminated.

Advice to Management

Don't lose that employee relationship aspect, no matter how bad things get. Make sure they all know that you are in it together, because it is so hard for tellers to relate to upper management.

needed more real training

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Canton, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Canton, MI

Pros

ability to move up, do work as a teller and personal banker, provided two weeks of training (though it didn't seem like enough when I actually got to work. Provided a mentor for your first few weeks. (could have been better if the person was much more friendlier and willing to work)

Cons

Much lower pay than my old job as a teller at a bank with 3 times the amont of work, no benefits, no vacation days. Training didn't apply to real situations. Computer system was way back in time. I came from Chase Bank and they were very up on their technology, training, pay, and benefits.

RSS Feed </> Embed