Flagstar Bank Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Exciting rapid pace of change with a great company!

I have been working at Flagstar Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great work enviornment with some of the most knowledgable, experienced, and hardworking people in their fields. Team work is off the charts. The rapid pace of change and being at a company who is at the top of their industry is exciting. While a lot of the senior management has changed all the existing and new management are committed and very accessable. The culture is evolving and there seems to be committment from the top to continue improving it. Ability to provide feedback and see change is great. The corporate committment to grow and expand each business line provides a lot of opportunity. Employee recognition and development continues to grow. Employee perks for financial services is great. Really appreciate the work/life balance.

Cons

Past poor financial history and management has made it difficult to change the culture as this takes time. It continues to improve each day.

Advice to Management

Continue to build the culture and invest in development and accountability of employees. Further investment in technology internal and external.

2. Was treated terribly by management

I worked at Flagstar Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Only pros I can say that I was treated much better by coworkers who treated me like a good friend or family member.

Cons

If you have a disability look elsewhere, you will get treated with no respect and will feel like an outsider by the management. They refused to honor a special chair for me when I had the actual doctor's note. They wanted to save money so they gave me an old chair but complained that it didn't match with the companies chair throughout the building. Also they don't have any supplies meaning you have to bring your own personal supplies on your own money. They are cheap and don't give out good raises. Also if you are working here save all evidence in case you get let go. They omitted half of my employee file when I obtained a lawyer to go after them due to discrimination and wrongful let go. They lied saying my work was bad, nit true my evaluation said otherwise. I noticed they let go all disabled and people who took medical leave first. You don't have an outside family life at all.

Advice to Management

Fire the management that are rude, show no respect. Training I got was horrible, they boasted this particular woman was the best in the group but I also heard she got let go about 3 months after me. She couldn't complete anything right, kept calling other coworkers to ask them questions because she couldn't trained you properly.

3. Good company to work for during a difficult period for banks.

Pros

Exceptional work/life balance and culture.

Cons

Limited opportunities for upward progression.

5. Part Time FSR

Pros

Great people, good job while in school

Cons

Some customers can be rude.

6. The company has a high turnover rate

Former Employee - Spoc in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Spoc in Troy, MI

Pros

It is good to work their if you want to get quick knowledge. It is a fun work envirment

Cons

Don expect long-term goals with this company unless you like to work without career advancement.

Advice to Management

Catering to your employees determines the success of your company.

7. Rotating Leadership, no results

Former Employee - Management in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Management in Troy, MI

Pros

Only area bank headquartered in Michigan.

Cons

Where does one start. The C-Level, Sr. Leadership and Management turn style is getting warn out. Many many "top guns" hired to come in and do a job and they don't execute. And no one following up on results. New people get paid top salaries and never really provide value. This leaves all of the overworked dedicated managers to pick up the pieces once again and perform under extreme deadlines for others lack of performance.

Advice to Management

Read resumes better, interview better, ask for proof of results.....pay middle management and sr. team members the right amount of money before they have to leave.

8. Rocky Ride

Pros

The company has benefits including healthcare, vision, dental, and life insurance. The company observes 11 holidays with pay, and now offers one paid community involvement day to participate in volunteer activities the company supports. The work environment is such that folks do work hard to solve problems and accomplish objectives at the individual level, department level, and organizational level.

Cons

The leadership turnover is crazy, which produces a whiplash affect on the employment base due to new directions, new processes, and new ideas of how they want things done. The out of pocket costs for premiums, co-pays, and co-insurnace are higher here compared to other employers I've worked for at the same level of coverage. This could be due to higher costs of healthcare overall, and/or due to the financial stability of the company. The payscales are published which show huge six-figure salaries, but good luck in ever really getting ahead via promotion or via substantive merit increases. The full time employee headcount is fixed which means new positions which could pay more cannot be created to allow promotions within, and the promotion opportunities that do exist are most often filled from the outside. The company lacks a 360 performance review of management to allow feedback on how they are performing, so your boss can get away with behavior that her/his boss doesn't even know about. Despite huge layoffs leaving only the best employees, the company has decided to make those who remain feel even worse about their individual performance by limiting the % of people who can get "outstanding" and "above average" performance ratings, and wants most everyone to be in the "meets" performance goals rating to pay little to nothing for our contributions.

Advice to Management

Communicate more often about the direction of the company, our progress and challenges to overcome. Improve compensation for non-commissioned staff. People work for money - just like you. The more you pay, the more we want to work hard to get ahead too. Increase the paid time off. The amount of PTO is low.

9. Business Client Service

Former Employee - Business Client Service in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Business Client Service in Troy, MI

Pros

Paycheck every two week 37.5 work week (pro and con)

Cons

Hours changed weekly No incentive programs No OT Progression to other departments nonexistent

Abusive Environment

Pros

I loved what I was doing and my customers but I had to quit because it was way too stressful working for a manager who was abusive towards employees in Orion. Many quit before and after I did and she is still there? This is the problem at Flagstar.

Cons

Terrible hours at branches. Dangerous environment. Locking a person in a branch by them selves after everyone had left for the day so they can run the drive thru a little longer and exit building by themselves!

Advice to Management

Don't leave people in positions because they are hitting their goals where employees are constantly leaving a location because of them. This is brining the company down. Don't value goals over good employees.

11. Senior Loan Officer

Current Employee - Senior Home Loan Advisor
    Current Employee - Senior Home Loan Advisor

I have been working at Flagstar Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

clean work environment, no clock punch, managers are nice

Cons

very little coorporate support, no direction,

RSS Feed </> Embed