Flahive, Ogden & Latson Reviews

Jack Latson

1. Briefing Clerk

Current Employee - Briefing Clerk in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Briefing Clerk in Austin, TX

I have been working at Flahive, Ogden & Latson part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling for part-time staff, great team atmosphere, always fast-paced.

Cons

There really isn't a downside to my job. Both my immediate supervisor and the office manager are wonderful, I like the whole team I work with, and the flexible scheduling is fantastic as a student with a busy schedule.

2. Middle School Re-visited

Former Employee - Paralegal Assistant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Paralegal Assistant in Austin, TX

I worked at Flahive, Ogden & Latson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a few cool people there that make the place bareable. The time off at Xmas is nice and the fully paid for insurance.

Cons

The starting salary is laffable which makes a lot of the entry level people work part-time jobs to make ends meet. The computers are very old and the system they use to track stuff is confusing. The atmosphere can be very vicious especially among the women there-starting at the top. If you are in you are golden if you are not, it can be very diffacult to make it through the day.

Advice to Management

Send your personnel managers to some sort of HR school to teach them people skills and scheduling. Get some new computers.

3. I love working here part time as a briefer.

I have been working at Flahive, Ogden & Latson

Pros

Great pay for the work, work around my college student schedule.

Cons

Haven't found any so far...

Advice to Management

More communication

5. Toxic and Mean Spirited

I worked at Flahive, Ogden & Latson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Breakfast on Fridays, flexibility if you are friends with the office manager.

Cons

Backstabbing staff and bullying attorneys

Advice to Management

Teach your office manager how to schedule

6. Some pros, but overall, most toxic work environment ever

Former Employee - Paralegal in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Austin, TX

I worked at Flahive, Ogden & Latson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There were some awesome people who worked there. I made a handful of really great friends. They were understanding about family related issues like sick kids, daycare problems, etc. They were warmly appreciative of things I did, like bring snacks to the office. They celebrated birthdays and other milestones for people, gave a Christmas bonus, and had a pretty decent benefits package. They're willing to take people with little to no experience and train them.

Cons

The pay was unbelievably low, and raises were very few and far between. I knew people who had been there for decades, and their salaries were lower than what I made my first year out of college. There is also little to no room for advancement. They're not big on letting people try new things or change roles. You can repeatedly ask for more or different work and not be given it, yet they expect you to be busy at all times. The absolute biggest con: there was one person there who, for whatever reason, could not be fired or really even reprimanded. She made life awful for people, and it was openly acknowledged that she was terrible but would never be made to leave. There was no explanation given for this. She was petty, vindictive, and unprofessional. Many people left specifically because of her. She made the work environment toxic. That and the low pay are why I personally left.

Advice to Management

Consider paying people a living wage. And stop letting one person make everyone else miserable.

7. Old School Niche Firm on the Way down

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Flahive, Ogden & Latson

Pros

You get 10 days off at Christmas if you work in a department that has a backup for you. Insurance is paid for entirely for the employee, but that will probably change soon.

Cons

There are some very vicious cliques at work in this place. Many have sucked up to one of the 5 senior managers and if you are not in that group you are kind of screwed. There is little to no training and many of the people in staff management are so beholden to the status quo that no inovation is tolerated.

Advice to Management

one needs to learn anger management. He treats all staff members like serfs and he's a bully with women especially. Another managing partner isn't much better only he glosses it over with a used car salesman phony sincerity. Invest in some technology that was developed in the early part of the 21st century.

8. Good company that unfortunately favors employees who have been there for 20+ years who do nothing.

I have been working at Flahive, Ogden & Latson part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good office environment if you get with the right people, they are slowly weeding out the weak links and are transforming their office into an up-and-coming worker's compensation law firm. They're extremely busy, there's always something to do, and the Hiring Manager is very kind and understanding.

Cons

I mentioned some weak links above, and there are some employees that have been there for 20+ years that the firm just does not know what to do with, and sometimes they bring the productivity down, or to a halt.

Advice to Management

Learn how to fire the employees that you don't know what to do with anymore, or who barely do anything, and don't favor them simply because they've dedicated 20+ years to the firm.

RSS Feed </> Embed