Flatirons Solutions

Flatirons Solutions Reviews

Updated Apr 29, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Small company working to grow

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX

Proscustomer loyalty and repeat business

Consnot much room for growth

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on professional development for all levels of employees

Heavily micro-managed company with top-heavy leadership.

ProsRapid growth thru acquisitions, bringing new technologies into the organization.

ConsCEO micro-manages every detail. Many, many VPs, many unqualified for their roles.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter alignment of qulaified leaders.

Technical Writer

Consultant (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsThis position was billed as an opportunity to learn new skills in Aerospace documentation. To that end, it worked. I was able to acquire XML skills fairly rapidly thanks to the training class. To me, it was the only that made sense from the beginning.

ConsCertain department managers are only concerned about their usability rating. The higher the usability rating for the department, the bigger the bonus for the manager. This means that if you are not working on a project, you have nothing to bill for hours. As an hourly employee, this can be devastating financially. During lulls, a 40 hour check could drop to as low as 10 hours. The managers also have a habit of low-balling estimates to impress the customer. A project that should be billed for at 20 hours is billed for 8. It is very easy to run afoul of the profit margins there.

If you do this too many times, you're gone. If you're a contractor, you may not find out until after your last shift. This is done only to punish individuals and to keep others in line. This causes the tenured writers to more or less hoard work and at times exaggerate the completion status of documents so that they can use all of the project hours to cover shortfalls on their time sheet.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a hold of your managers. They care more about bonuses that the overall health of their departments.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

What would otherwise have been good experience was ruined by one self-absorbed PM.

Senior Con (Former Employee) Vienna, VA

ProsAllowed many folks to telecommute when conditions are met.

ConsIt was in a shaky financial situation back then. Got laid off due to loss on a contract bid.

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boulder, CO

ProsSome of the smartest people I've ever worked with anywhere. Most are incredibly talented, friendly and driven to succeed. But unlike other highly talented software engineers, they're also the most helpful and approachable when you have a question.

ConsIt's consulting, so it's about the billable hours. With that in mind, work/life balance can easily get out of whack between the long hours and travel demands. You need to be flexible schedule-wise, but you also need to remind management that you do have a life outside of work. In reality though, it's no different than in other consulting firms, but to a lesser degree (some consulting firms will grind you to nub with the long hours and much more frequent travel).

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain transparency and open doors. It's worked so far. Be mindful of your employees' needs and balance them with the business.

Great Colleagues

ProsVery talented and hard working group of professionals. Very flexible working arrangement. Great pay. Office is right on the metro. Great relationships with colleagues.

ConsMissing strong leadership to run the company. Could be an absolutely amazing company if they pursue the right work in the future.

Worked for Flatirons Solutions? Contribute to the Community!