Fleishman-Hillard
www.fleishmanhillard.com Saint Louis, MO 1000 to 5000 Employees

Fleishman-Hillard Reviews

Updated Apr 8, 2014
Fleishman-Hillard – Dallas – “Small Entry”

Fleishman-Hillard President and CEO Dave Senay

Dave Senay

Pros:
  • "Smart colleagues and challenging work for great clients"
    in 9 reviews
  • "opportunity to learn a lot in very short time and develop broad range of skills"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Toxic work-life balance and yet managers are surprised when people quit"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Long hours, can be difficult to turn an internship into a full-time position"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

FH Chicago

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Fleishman-Hillard full-time

ProsGreat learning experience. Decent amount of vacation time, personal time and holidays.

ConsHas a vastly unfair pay scale. Poor leadership: either abusive or ignores abuse of staff. Unfair treatment of entry-, base- and mid-level employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementBelittling and verbally abusing staff doesn't improve productivity nor does it create excitement or enthusiasm about work. Learn to appreciate people's hard work and efforts and try to have some respect for others, no matter what lever their position is. For those leaders who ignore these abusive situations, be a GOOD leader and do something about it. Companies should not let their employees be bullied.

Dreadful, truly unpleasant working environment, exceptionally poor leadership

Associate Director (Former Employee)
London, England (UK)

I worked at Fleishman-Hillard full-time for more than a year

ProsThe location of the London office in Central London

ConsVery poor management, no direction, no organisation, lack of acumen and drive, poor internal Comms, negative atmosphere

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some actual talent for whom others have respect

Terrible work-life balance and total lack of employee engagement

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Fleishman-Hillard full-time for more than a year

ProsThe salary wasn't too bad. The work location and office space was nice. The office outtings were somewhat fun, but rare.

ConsIf you want to have any semblance of a life outside of work, forget pursuing a job here. Young, unmarried post grads (mostly female sorority types) do well here because most of them don't have any other work experience to compare the unacceptable FH experience to, and they are happy to work 24/7 to get promoted. FH is also stuck in a traditional PR rut and rarely deviates from the old-fashioned way of doing things. So be prepared to go with the flow here and never truly feel like you're making an impact with the previous experiences you bring to the table.

This company totally lacks diversity and intuitive senior management that understands the needs of its staff. Also, forget taking doctor-prescribed medical leave for any kind of health issue or much deserved vacation time off of work . You will either be fired or asked to work during your leave. It's all about the bottom line here. They don't particularly care about the health and wellness outlook of hard-working employees that make this the internationally successful company that it is.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to re-organize your business priorities and put the needs of hard-working employees above all else. You need comprehensive employee engagement and wellness programs and you have to lead by example. Also, think about diversifying your staff, which has been proven time and time again to provide new perspectives and innovative business and communication strategies--something new clients are always looking for in a PR firm.

A stiff, political, hyper-competitive and hostile environment.

I have been working at Fleishman-Hillard

ProsI really cannot think of any at all.

ConsNo process, arrogant people and lifers that will do anything to protect their jobs.

A PR agency trying very hard to be a digital creative agency

Digital Creative Intern (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

I worked at Fleishman-Hillard

ProsCookies, beer, 9-5 hours, a few good clients, some fun people to work with, little responsibility as an intern, first job out of school

ConsWow, this place is trying so hard to be a creative agency when it's not. A creative director whom gets his orders from the PR side of the agency that never fights for the creative. All I really did was build preso decks (in MS Word?) and look for stock photos. The full time creatives also built decks and worked on internal work. I would never refer anyone to work there that wanted to advance in the creative field but if you're in it for the PR then go right ahead.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to produce digital creative then let the creatives do their job, theres no real creative being done when it comes to the "creative group". Maybe you should give up on the creative part.

Not the launching pad you'd expect

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Fleishman-Hillard

ProsIt's a well-respected company that makes a great line item on a resume. And perhaps it can be seen as a "boot camp" of sorts, if you want to spin the experience into a positive.

Cons-Poor treatment seems to have a ripple effect from senior to junior level. Interns are not made to feel like members of the team.
-I left with a poor understanding of PR. The job was high-stress, with very few learning opportunities. Most of the work was brainless busy work and the "big picture" was frequently not explained. This internship offered very little professional development.
-After learning from other professional experience, I can say that FH lacks strategic thinkers and focuses more on churning out work and working to show clients its worth through impressions sheets and coverage logs, than actually producing work that means something and makes an impact.

Advice to Senior Management-Treat interns with respect. They are people, and they won't be interns forever.
-Integrate strategy and creative thinking into every project. Actively brainstorm with staff of all levels.
-Work to integrate digital and social solutions. FH is digitally very behind the times.
-One of the things I think this internship lacked was the opportunity to develop as a thinker. I just don't think it's the intention of FH to stifle critical and strategic thinking, but that's what happens with long hours and monotonous work. Encourage junior-level employees (including interns) to take part in extra-curricular thinking through a thought-sharing internal system like Backpack, or better yet, a public blog to highlight the young minds within the organization. Allow for analysis of trends and integration of personal interests, or whatever gets the creative juices flowing. I know FH isn't a "creative" company by definition, but individuality and fresh thinking will aid innovation and will likely boost morale.

Dlsappointing Employment Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Fleishman-Hillard

ProsGreat downtown location close to many amenities, promotion of healthful benefits such as once a week fruit delivery in the work place, purified water, nice kitchens available to staff, on-site yoga, generous vacation policy.

ConsMay be a better employer for those involved in the business of public relations but for those who are in more administrative roles, not so much a desired place of employment. Outdated dress code and severely lacking in diversity of both racial/ethnic staff but also lacking diversity of thought. Encourage all potential new hires to make sure there is a cultural fit between what Fleishman has to offer and what you are seeking. Ask about the number of hours you are expected to work per week as a PR professional before accepting an offer of employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at what other companies are doing to attract and retain talent - not only in the PR industry but look at other companies as well. Place more emphasis on career development for support functions. Revisit your dress code. Do something visible and tangible about the lack of racial diversity. Hold all management accountable for beng respectful of others.

Be Rewarded for Trustworthy Advice and Strategic Counsel

Senior Vice President and Partner and Practice Group Lead (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Fleishman-Hillard

ProsCommitment to Digital and relentless commitment to retaining digital staff that believe in ROI and Understand the Big Picture. In the Digital Space and even throughout the Senior Management they may not always understand what you do or care to but they will pay and give a lot of autonomy to keep "franchise" players like myself.

ConsAs an overly qualified white man I am fortunate to only experience rapid growth. There is however very little value or concern for Junior Staff. All about Senior staff and primarily tjpd that can win new business, the C-Level team in STI rarely gets involved in anything but counting money so the senior staff can interact with them form time-to=-time not the Junior staff. A lot of pressure to win new business. The primary digital workforce, strategic practitioners and leadership of the digital as a who is a Parody compared to competitors, boutique firms and the advertising industry as a whole. This has forced FH planning and management staff to do anything that supports new business process regardless of their actual work routine negative or rude day-to-day dialog with female staff (a poor ad feeble attempt to compete, match the unique skill set, analytical platform, future forward software platform creation and a real trusted global thought leadership,. Senior management promotes a culture of revenues first over service, digital innovation, real digital and other o offer unique or ahead of the curve products. Unfortunately the real digital and digitally respected talent is going elsewhere. Only by sheer by luck are theyable to hire individuals like myself that can actually lead in strategy, client council and digital and social media integration. No one questions us and they by what we request.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect all of the staff no matter what age or level, Cut the chord stop the layers of people and I swear this is true someone with FHv asked me if Dave Senay was real, I said he was a big Money Boss in STL that FH answers to. Then I said just kidding FH senior leaderships needs to think for yourself. Man-up or no one will value, respect or take FH seriously or the Senior Team in STL does.

Beware of Fleishman Hillard

Managing Supervisor (Former Employee)
Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Fleishman-Hillard

ProsInteresting clients; external reputation of firm is valuable when seeking subsequent employment. There really aren't any more reasons to work there, aside from the after-work parties, the money, and the effect on your resume.

Conshorrible work environment; no flexibility; arcane dress code; no work at home policy; unbelievably bad managing. Managment are covert, secrets are common, and gossip rules the day. bosses play favorites all the time, to the point it's laughable.

Advice to Senior ManagementJoin the 21st Century

Far from what I expected

Intern (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fleishman-Hillard

ProsThe company has a fantastic reputation; experience here will enhance your resume. Attractive office. Free soda and snacks. Opportunity to deal with major companies. Good hours, too (from about 8 a.m. yo 5 p.m.) Everyone who works here takes what they do very seriously -- they're passion about their jobs and, no doubt, good at them.

ConsInterns treated very poorly. No guidance, training or explanation. Expected to know how to use complex in-house systems and programs that you have never used before. On my first day, I was scheduled to meet one-on-one with several account execs, and half blew off our meetings. Very cold, impersonal feeling to the office.

Advice to Senior ManagementFH may be a phenomenal place to work for most employees, but the intern program needs some improvement. Training, guidance, development -- even just a cordial relationship.

Worked for Fleishman-Hillard? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Fleishman-Hillard reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Fleishman-Hillard CEO Dave Senay. All 151 reviews posted anonymously by Fleishman-Hillard employees.