Fleishman-Hillard

www.fleishmanhillard.com

Fleishman-Hillard Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014
Fleishman-Hillard – Dallas – “Small Entry”

Fleishman-Hillard President and CEO Dave Senay

Dave Senay

Pros
  • Employees at FH have the opportunity to work with great clients and produce world-class programs(in 11 reviews)

• Great people, supportive environment, growth opportunities(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Toxic work-life balance and yet managers are surprised when people quit(in 16 reviews)

• Long hours are normal as in all PR jobs, but unequivocally expected by management(in 14 reviews)

Heading down a steep slope...

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsPart of the Omnicom familiy with a broad global network.

ConsThe firm lacks strong and talented management. Performance is measured merely by billable hours vs. experience, knowledge, quality service, client relationship management and business development, which is reflected in the lack of qualified and talented management. Petty and frustrating internal and interoffice politics As a result, the firm keeps loosing great talent and clients. Poor HR, you only see them around when they are about to let go someone. It is challenging to remain hopeful in such circumstances.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership at HQ and regional levels need to step outside of the unrealistic bubble they live in, and seek innovative and effective ways to re-introduce services, otherwise be ready to say bye-bye in the PR sphere.

NHQ is disconnected and DC office is hemorrhaging employees

Vice President (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe only thing that's kept me coming back as long as I have are the people I work with on a day to day basis -- but even most of these people are gone now.

ConsNo work-life balance. Terrible compensation -- company promotes time and again without giving raises to accurately reflect employee achievements (but of course they charge clients more for your services with each promotion, and put more responsibility and expectations on you). New, less experienced employees are hired for a higher salary than more experienced employees with significant tenure -- basically, dedicated employees that stay at the company get the shaft when it comes to salary -- an SVP should NOT be making less than a Managing Supervisor!

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat management? With the very recent dismissal of the GM and head of finance, the last of the long-standing senior management has been wiped out. Several senior/c-level executives have been forced to resign over the past 1+ year, and there's been a flood of Partners and SVPs running for the door over the past year as well. What management is left is closeted and secretive.

NHQ doesn't know and doesn't care about the office or the employees, they only care about their profits.

Military Consultant as an Army Officer in the Army's Traiuning with Industry Program

Military Consultant (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat learning opportunity and a nice work schedule.

ConsLong commute between Quantico and the Fleishman Hillard Washington DC downtown office.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great reputation.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mixed feelings

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee) Anony (Madagascar)

ProsUndoubtedly one of the top 3 PR firms in the world. Great clients, friendly and professional working atmosphere (atleast in my office though I heard of frequent unrest in my other regional offices), learned new stuff. My immediate boss was a great person to work with and gave me plenty of opportunities. He gave me freedom to try out things and put me in charge of big accounts even though I wasn't a manager.

ConsPoor pay for too much work, senior management especially HR make empty or exaggerated promises, you do not feel satisfied monetarily (a common complaint I heard from fellow PR peers too) and what's worse is that the management curbs your career growth just because the office you work in isn't big enough or didn't have enough clients no matter how well you perform (atleast this is what my MD told me !!). As much as they claim not to play favoritism, you can't help but feel it is quite prevalent though (my colleagues have told me the same thing as well).

Advice to Senior ManagementI wish they showed more respect and gave more career growth opportunities to deserving candidates. I thought my time in FH started off really well but unfortunately the lethargic and obnoxious attitude of the senior management really ticked me off. They make you work your butts off and when it comes to appraisals/promotions/inter-office transfers, they say "We are looking into it" and well they still are !! Teach your managers to walk the talk and pay people (especially your mid-management staff) what they deserve, Mr. Senay !! Your firm is a top PR player because of the toil of its people, both present & past.

Good company to work for

PR (Former Employee) Guangzhou, Guangdong (China)

Prospr practice is strong and good to communicate with the team

Consface with Chinese culture and sometimes they don't pay too much details

Account Executive

ProsGood learning experience for junior professionals

Conslong working hours sometimes even includes weekends

Good stepping stone

Senior Designer (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

Prosgood benefits, great co-workers, big-name clients

Consleadership, work-life balance, difficult to navigate mgmt organization

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Not what it used to be

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsWorked with very talented colleagues. Employees at FH have the opportunity to work with great clients and produce world-class programs.

ConsToo many people in management without true people management skills. The company is very traditional, doing many things because they've always done them that way and when change is made, it's not meaningful or the energy is directed at things that don't really make much impact in the overall scope. Also, in some roles true advancement opportunities are hard to come by or non-existent.

Not much work but great people

Public Relations Intern (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsI had the internship with no intention of entering the field of public relations so it ended up being a good thing that I literally never had to do anything

ConsThe pay is terrible. It was 10 dollars an hour living in a very expensive city as a college student.

Great clients, sometimes given tedious work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou get to work with some unbelievable clients. Definitely gives you a leg-up on your resume. Opportunity to grow within the company if you play your cards right.

ConsToo much of a large corporation environment. Rules are rules and there are no exceptions for them to be bent. I always felt like I was being watched and couldn't fully be myself because I feared being judged.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think some employees are over-worked while others are under-worked. Just because an employee knows how to suck up to you doesn't mean they are the right fit. FH has some great employees. But I was a little disappointed in the way some carried themselves to fellow colleagues.

Worked for Fleishman-Hillard? Contribute to the Community!