Fleishman-Hillard
www.fleishmanhillard.com Saint Louis, MO 1000 to 5000 Employees

Fleishman-Hillard Reviews in Washington, DC

Updated Feb 21, 2014
Fleishman-Hillard – Dallas – “Small Entry”

Fleishman-Hillard President and CEO Dave Senay

Dave Senay

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A+ Experience, Would Work Again

Vice President (Former Employee)

I worked at Fleishman-Hillard full-time

ProsGreat people, supportive environment, growth opportunities

ConsStaffing challenges sometimes create work-life balance issues

Left a bad taste

Intern (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at Fleishman-Hillard as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat opportunity to gain hands on agency experience

ConsNot clear about full time opportunities following the end of internship, interns rotate through the agency and have clear defined roles

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a greater interest in interns and their career development

Great working experience with nice people

PR Intern (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at Fleishman-Hillard for less than a year

ProsWell-organized system for interns to learn

Consmay not be able to get familiar with every group in the company

Advice to Senior ManagementEverything is great

One of the better big PR firms in terms of collaboration, but interoffice politics is frustrating

Senior Vice President (Former Employee)

I worked at Fleishman-Hillard full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood international footprint, some good big anchor brands, less competitive internally and more collaborative (but this can depend on which office you work in).

ConsKnowledge sharing is haphazard, some senior consultants are only there because they have worked in the company for 20 years, interoffice politics, poor HR/career development

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove OD and career development programs, improve inter-office coordination and collaboration

The Land of Oz

Vice President (Former Employee)

I worked at Fleishman-Hillard full-time for more than 10 years

ProsA brilliant staff - 95% of whom are the best and the brightest in communications but are not allowed by management to know that, think that, feel that, or ever believe it.

ConsFH-DC. Frozen in time. A relic of a bygone era.
A PR principality -- a Bermuda Triangle Kingdom - ruled and carefully controlled by a core group of lifers who will do it whatever it takes to ensure new blood, fresh thinking and an entrepreneurial spirit never get in the way of their entitled way of life and a Downtown Abbey approach to management.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of the Bermuda Triangle -- the suburbs and your safe little offices -- and interact with rough and tumble world of Washington, DC. You are strategically located in the nation's capital for a reason. The White House is actually 4 blocks away. Really..it is. Embrace the most powerful city in the world that surrounds you. Build business because of it. Once you rediscover what your are no longer in Kansas but in Washington, DC, you'll also realize it's no longer 1998 -- the year when you last ventured beyond L Street with a new idea or sense of curiosity. Heh...did you hear the nation has an African American president now? It may be a good time to dust off that "how do we pretend to be diverse overnight" memo.

Great people - very corporate culture.

Intern (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at Fleishman-Hillard as an intern for less than a year

ProsWonderful people to work with. The CEO Dave Senay is a wonderful man. The business is on a great track and has positioned itself to do well in the future.

ConsI found the culture to be too corporate for me.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're doing great!

People are great - fun, smart, interesting; but the management is off on many levels, leaving morale consistently low.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Fleishman-Hillard full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThey definitely hire some amazing people - fun, smart, funny - and the kind of people you want to work 60 hours a week with. The majority of my adult friends are from FH, and some of my most interesting and fun career moments were at FH. The firm does also get some interesting and challenging clients that offer some exceptional work experiences.

ConsFirst, there is little to no actual management training of senior staff - the firm's staffing model means they keep promoting smart people who have no business or skill managing the people below them. Second, since the firm is headquartered in a low cost-of-living market, salaries are some of lowest in the industry, regardless of what market you are in, making many, many staff feel underappreciated and consistently thinking about their next move.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward loyalty to the firm with actual bonuses and legitimate pay raises. Don't make people group leaders simply because they are smart and that's the only path to making them partner. Most employees are hard-pressed to name a single group leader they believe would nurture their careers or advocate for them for promotions or professional growth.

Great Internship Experience

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Fleishman-Hillard

ProsYou gain experience at a large public relations firm with some of the most amazing people in the profession. Co-workers are very supportive and helpful. Truly an amazing place to be an intern!

ConsWorking at a large firm you sometimes feel like you get lost among all of the other people. Interns have a lot of great opportunities here, but of course there is a lot of administrative work to be done too.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes it seems that the management at Fleishman is scared of ambition and ambitious people. Obviously this is understandable because of the harm that could come from being different, but it's also important to remember that there can't be great rewards without a little risk.

A Rare Opportunity to Make Your Own Way

Senior Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at Fleishman-Hillard

ProsOne of the FH core tenets is respect for the individual. That rings true to me every day I work here because with dedication and hard work (and sure some natural talent never hurts), a person can drive one's own career path at FH so that the job you have is what you have made for yourself. How can you not love that? Of course, teamwork is everything, but our teams typically consist of many different types of people, with different strengths and interests, who have each been encouraged to develop a personal career path within FH.
Additionally, the people are all at the top of their games, and are nice as well. In our group, we strive to lead, to be thought-leaders for our sector and to get the accounts associated with top-tier agencies. That drive to succeed is truly amazing, not on its own, but when it is reinforced again and again by Senior Partners on down to SAE's. FH'ers don't typically "settle." That's a great thing because even when you may not be helping with the biggest pitch of the week, or a part of finishing up a huge, global project, you're still working for top-shelf clients doing interesting work, and an environment has been created wherein you can be happy for those who are taking the spotlight at any given time. There is a culture at FHDC, that celebrates every participant, and that's a rare thing to come by.

ConsI've never worked for such a large agency before and the size took some getting used to, but I've acclimated. In the beginning, I may ave been daunted by the fact that we were bringing in experts from FHUK or Tokyo for something, but there's such value in that global network it outweighs any concerns I had RE practicality or logistics for an individual project.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn DC, since there is a large Digital / Creative group and the mantra at FH has been about integration, it might make sense to have a job shadow day, within FHDC. So that the creatives can better know the smaller details of the account side of things, and vice versa.

FH - A Great Culture That Shows

Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at Fleishman-Hillard

ProsThe culture - it's phenomenal. From the minute you begin interviewing at FH, you start hearing about our philosophy. At so many other places, those tenets of culture are meaningless. At FH, they're really lived every day, and this committment to the culture makes a big difference. I've never worked at a place that's so focused on quality and producing top-notch work for clients, each and every time. The creativity and teamwork that my colleagues bring to every project never cease to impress me. Also, our digital practice is incredible, and really unrivaled in the industry. It's such a treat to get to work with them.

ConsIt's a large company, so it can take awhile to learn the lay of the land - both within the office and within the network.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've built an extremely talented staff. Please do whatever you can to retain them, even in these tough times.

Worked for Fleishman-Hillard? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Fleishman-Hillard reviews and ratings in Washington, DC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Fleishman-Hillard CEO Dave Senay. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Fleishman-Hillard employees.