FleishmanHillard Reviews

Reset
2.2
FleishmanHillard President and CEO Dave Senay
Dave Senay

Pros
  • Great people with a friendly atmosphere (in 12 reviews)

• Employees at FH have the opportunity to work with great clients and produce world-class programs (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Staffing challenges sometimes create work-life balance issues (in 18 reviews)

• long hours are industry standard but are expected without question at a junior level (in 19 reviews)

1. Sr. Coordinator

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Rahway, NJ
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Rahway, NJ

I worked at FleishmanHillard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very busy, exciting work environment. Many diverse and interesting clients such as AARP, Smithsonian Institute, Library of Congress, etc. Also, many exciting events such as the National Book Festival.

Cons

Sometimes so busy forgot to eat. Also, people hired and promoted not necessarily on basis of qualifications. Too many office politics.

Advice to Management

Be kind to the people who help keep you where your are.

Awful - demoralizing place

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Well regarded reputation within the global PR space, and junior staff that sticks together and supports each other - that is literally it.

Cons

No transparency - management doesn't care about you, they only care about money in their pockets. Promote people who are utterly awful, horrible communicators only because they kiss up. People in the NYC office are genuinely miserable, and complain among one another about everything. Senior management talks bad about clients.

Advice to Management

You need to learn to value true, great talent. Pay more attention to mid-levels who treat their juniors poorly - and closely examine some group leads: most do not bond with or nourish relationships with team members.

Incredible network, antiquated business model

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at FleishmanHillard (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are the most important benefit to working at FH. They are truly brilliant, dedicated and fascinating. I learned so much from them but more importantly I made lifelong friends and true career connections. Since leaving I've stayed in touch with dozens of people from several offices including overseas. It's a truly global agency and I think houses some of the best minds and hearts in the business. A great place to grow a career.

Cons

Compensation is dismal. I didn't really truly grasp this as I'm such a loyal employee until after years of working at the company I entertained a few recruiters who had approached me and learned I was making almost half what my peers were. And I was a top performer so I should have been making more than twice what I was making. Not a place to get wealthy.

Advice to Management

Give bonuses for billability and employer management to allocate billability based on performance and results, not just hours logged in a desk.

5. Managing Supervisor

Former Employee - Managing Supervisor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Managing Supervisor in New York, NY

I worked at FleishmanHillard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

smart savvy colleagues; fun office environment; diverse roster of clients

Cons

too conservative; too much change too fast for corporate

Advice to Management

provide more stability and effective upward/downward management

Nothing special

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

Pros

I was surrounded by talented colleagues and did interesting work for good clients. I was able to make significant contributions to my colleagues and to my clients.

Cons

Compensation is below average - very hard to get raises. Bonuses are nearly non-existent. One year they actually sent everyone a cookie in lieu of a bonus! It's very hard to live in the New York area with what they pay you especially if you're trying to raise a family. Turnover is very high, though that's true for PR industry in general. Colleagues come and go. Omnicom (parent company) runs a very tight ship and keeps a close eye on expenses.

Advice to Management

Open up the pursestrings from time to time. It'll keep employees motivated.

Toxic Place To Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Very little pros, you think you want to work here, trust me you don't. The salary is OK for the field

Cons

The company culture is toxic. The only way you get ahead is by throwing your colleagues under the bus. The people are immature, lots of gossip in the office. Mid-level management love to intimidate you into coming in early/working late/skipping lunch etc.

Advice to Management

FH needs to check its company culture within practice groups. I often felt humiliated for minor mistakes and taken advantage of as an employee.

8. People were very nice and fun to work with, but really felt like a glorified office assistant unfortunately

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY

I worked at FleishmanHillard as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Office Environment Big Clients Mentor who was nice

Cons

Not given a lot of work to do Micromanaged Do not really feel like part of team because you are not doing anything of importance or value Supposedly do not give references

Advice to Management

Hire less interns, you are just wasting your own money

Worst place I ever worked

Former Employee - AAE in New York, NY
    Former Employee - AAE in New York, NY

Pros

Client are high profile, global network?? cant think more...

Cons

Micro management, NY office is full of politics (some people r just trying hard ro please their boss instead of working hard), poor work- life balance, low pay

Provincial and struggling for an identity

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at FleishmanHillard full-time

Pros

Has retained a solid reputation based on big, long-lasting clients. Attracts the cream of the crop for its paid internships.

Cons

Watch your back. Political intrigue is rampant - New York office is choc-a-block with sycophants. Has been shedding its "legacy" employees in droves. Offices share very little - including culture. St. Louis is the center of what, exactly?

Advice to Management

You lost a lot more than a dash when you changed the logo. Quit trying to be an ad agency. It's not working. Show the same concern in valuing your clients and your people as you do for OMC management and shareholders. Ethics matter - now more than ever.

11. I would not recommend working here - whether that be an internship or a full-time opportunity

Former Intern - Brand Marketing Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Brand Marketing Intern in New York, NY

I worked at FleishmanHillard as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

List of clients are top of each industry sector

Cons

Incredibly mundane work and mindless task of tracking articles for clients. Never was able to see the big-picture strategy initiatives that my team was working on (repeatedly asked to be a part of) Way more PR oriented than I expected. Little to no marketing experience gained. New York office as a whole was a very unfriendly place. Never was asked out to lunch or interacted with fellow employees in a social manner

Advice to Management

Learn to conduct internal business in a much more engaging way

RSS Feed </> Embed