FleishmanHillard Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014

3.2

FleishmanHillard President and CEO Dave Senay
Dave Senay

Pros
  • Employees at FH have the opportunity to work with great clients and produce world-class programs (in 11 reviews)

• Great people, supportive environment, growth opportunities (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Toxic work-life balance and yet managers are surprised when people quit (in 16 reviews)

• Long hours are normal as in all PR jobs, but unequivocally expected by management (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Great to start your career

Current Employee - Account Supervisor
    Current Employee - Account Supervisor

I have been working at FleishmanHillard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great culture, work on a variety of high profile clients. Learn all aspects of the business, while working with some of the best. Sets you up for a great future in PR.

Cons

Long-hours, less than average compensation.

Great Internship Program

Current Employee - Intern
    Current Employee - Intern

I have been working at FleishmanHillard as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The internship program is excellent.

Cons

FH is a demanding workplace-but that is just in general for PR.

Good but not Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at FleishmanHillard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They keep clients for a very long time which helps keep the company stable finically. Great client roster. Really good people.

Cons

You are expected to bill 50 hours week and often it's closest to 60 hours. The culture is a bit conservative. Some of the clients I don't always believe in what they stand for.

Do more ensure work/life balance.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company

Former Employee - Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at FleishmanHillard full-time for less than a year

Pros

Smart staff, great clients to work on and always new chances to learn and grow your skills. I would strongly encourage professionals to work there.

Cons

With the industry work/life balance it is sometimes hard to find. However they were always willing to with staffs schedules.

Intern/GDP review

Current Employee - Intern  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at FleishmanHillard full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work environment, lots of learning opportunities

Cons

Not a high retention rate for interns and GDPs

Great intern program with solid training.

Former Employee - Public Relations Intern  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Public Relations Intern in Dallas, TX

I worked at FleishmanHillard full-time for less than a year

Pros

The culture in the office was great. Plenty of friendly faces and management did a great job lifting the morale of senior employees and interns. This internship fully prepares you for other opportunities as well with smaller pr firms or sales jobs. It's a huge company with a top notch reputation. Developing a niche will help you out in the long run.

Cons

You pretty much have to be the best of the best in a large group to be offered a full time position after the internship period is over. If you're not offered, expect more internship periods or look for other opportunities. The initial two weeks is very tough, but nothing a level headed person can't handle. They kind of lead you on that you have a career path with the company, but that is not always concrete depending on the economy or number of interns accepted into the semester's intern group.

Help the interns develop a niche that they can use with your company. The post college internship should be more developmental and not just another keypad puncher job.

Ok internship, but don't expect too much

Current Employee - Intern  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at FleishmanHillard as an intern for less than a year

Pros

FH is a great name to have on your resume, and you get the opportunity to work with good brands. There are some opportunities for growth within the company, although you will have a lot of competition.

Cons

Management has little interest in the professional development of the interns. They are more interested in having you do the grunt work for a few months until the next crop of interns takes your place. There also did not seem to be any structure to the internship program at all. We were supposed to have regular check-in meetings with our supervisors, but even when I was very proactive about scheduling these meetings, they were nearly always pushed off and then ultimately cancelled, so I rarely received any feedback about my performance.

Military Consultant as an Army Officer in the Army's Traiuning with Industry Program

Former Employee - Military Consultant  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Military Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at FleishmanHillard full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great learning opportunity and a nice work schedule.

Cons

Long commute between Quantico and the Fleishman Hillard Washington DC downtown office.

Keep up the great reputation.

Very Corporate, Hierarchical, with a lack of opportunity

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at FleishmanHillard as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Some talented people, good location

Cons

Lack of opportunity, lack of transparency...if you are an intern, you are treated like one with consistent "extensions," rather than actual offers, only for you to do more time consuming, mindless tasks for only $12/hr. If you want to succeed, kiss butt and maybe it will help you. If you don't, you won't have much luck leaving an impression here, and being "buddies" with someone important-meaning someone in a "real" position-is the only way you will have a decent chance of moving up. If you don't already know how to do something, don't expect much help.

Pay attention more and offer learning opportunities...Be transparent with interns and those who aren't account staff.

NHQ is disconnected and DC office is hemorrhaging employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at FleishmanHillard full-time

Pros

The only thing that's kept me coming back as long as I have are the people I work with on a day to day basis -- but even most of these people are gone now.

Cons

No work-life balance. Terrible compensation -- company promotes time and again without giving raises to accurately reflect employee achievements (but of course they charge clients more for your services with each promotion, and put more responsibility and expectations on you). New, less experienced employees are hired for a higher salary than more experienced employees with significant tenure -- basically, dedicated employees that stay at the company get the shaft when it comes to salary -- an SVP should NOT be making less than a Managing Supervisor!

What management? With the very recent dismissal of the GM and head of finance, the last of the long-standing senior management has been wiped out. Several senior/c-level executives have been forced to resign over the past 1+ year, and there's been a flood of Partners and SVPs running for the door over the past year as well. What management is left is closeted and secretive.

NHQ doesn't know and doesn't care about the office or the employees, they only care about their profits.

Worked for FleishmanHillard? Contribute to the Community!