FleishmanHillard Reviews

Reset
3.2
FleishmanHillard President and CEO Dave Senay
Dave Senay

Pros
  • Great people with a friendly atmosphere (in 12 reviews)

• Employees at FH have the opportunity to work with great clients and produce world-class programs (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Staffing challenges sometimes create work-life balance issues (in 18 reviews)

• long hours are industry standard but are expected without question at a junior level (in 19 reviews)

1. A really great place to work, learn and grow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at FleishmanHillard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Super smart people, energetic, great atmosphere and culture. People genuinely like each other here. Expectations are high, even at the most junior levels, but that's what makes it a great place to learn and grow. People are generous with their time and advice, and encourage you to ask questions and to volunteer for stretch assignments. Pay is sometimes viewed as low, but has gotten better and it seems people are really rewarded for their personal contributions. Creative and social teams are great partners to the account teams.

Cons

It's agency life--hours can be long, clients can be difficult, pay can always be better. Communication from "the mothership" in St Louis is often lacking, as is the Talent Development function in general. They need to offer more internal training opportunities.

Advice to Management

Let the non-HQ offices do what they do best. Don't try to get them to do things the "St. Louis" way; that often doesn't work well outside of St. Louis. Communicate more often and more transparently; often we learn things about our own company first from Google alerts or PR Week Breaking News.

It's All About the Benjamins...in the Chicago Office

I worked at FleishmanHillard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get a paycheck.

You get free salami and cheese on Thursdays.

The elevator doesn't always stop at the 20th, 21st and 22nd floor for the lazy Integrys employees. Trust me that's a win.

Cons

Your paycheck averages out to around $16 an hour once you've billed all your time for the week. I could get paid more as a toll booth supervisor on the Jane Byrne. Im so thrilled I went to school for 22 years.

Also the homeless man in the pedway harasses me less for food to, I dunno, sustain his life than our GM does about time entry.

Advice to Management

Think about what you're doing right now, and do the opposite of that.

Falling Star

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at FleishmanHillard full-time

Pros

Good people. Ethical. Hard working.

Cons

Office culture is lacking. Groups are a bit divided. Highly political. Parent company, Omnicom, is highly involved. Somewhat disengaged CEO. Never see him in St Louis.

Incredible network, antiquated business model

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at FleishmanHillard (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are the most important benefit to working at FH. They are truly brilliant, dedicated and fascinating. I learned so much from them but more importantly I made lifelong friends and true career connections. Since leaving I've stayed in touch with dozens of people from several offices including overseas. It's a truly global agency and I think houses some of the best minds and hearts in the business. A great place to grow a career.

Cons

Compensation is dismal. I didn't really truly grasp this as I'm such a loyal employee until after years of working at the company I entertained a few recruiters who had approached me and learned I was making almost half what my peers were. And I was a top performer so I should have been making more than twice what I was making. Not a place to get wealthy.

Advice to Management

Give bonuses for billability and employer management to allocate billability based on performance and results, not just hours logged in a desk.

6. VP, Integrated Production

Former Employee - Vice President Integrated Production in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Vice President Integrated Production in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at FleishmanHillard (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent Company, Organization, fortune 500 companies

Cons

not enough creative assignments , not enough work for a producer with print experience
    culture of company tbd

Senior Account Executive

I worked at FleishmanHillard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My team was full of (mostly) smart and great people, I made great friends and learned a lot.

Cons

Pay is DISMAL. I am now (less than one year departed from FH) making almost double what I was making there. I am now at an agency that requires less billable hours a day, so essentially making double the money for less work.

Everything at FH feels antiquated, and far too corporate to truly foster creativity.

The review structure is prehistoric, needs to be revamped and restructured. I had one manager who didn't want weekly or biweekly check ins- there should be a more structured management system so that people aren't essentially ignored by their superiors.

Senior leadership played serious favorites, they threw one VP a office-wide going away party when she was really only leaving for a year, and another VP who was leaving FH for good, didn't even get a goodbye.

Clients will begin to leave for smaller, more creative and fast-moving shops if FH continues to lose great employees and ignore creativity.

Advice to Management

I think in a span of five months last year more than 10 mid-level employees left. FH needs to raise pay if you expect to keep people around. Restructure management program. Let your hair down so that people can relax and be creative.

8. Lots of smart people, poor national and practice group leadership.

Former Employee - Vice President, Managing Supervisor in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Vice President, Managing Supervisor in Cleveland, OH

I worked at FleishmanHillard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent opportunities if you are willing to speak up whenever you know actually what you're talking about. Some of the smartest people I've ever worked with, and salary is decent, but gets better if you go out and get yourself a competing offer.

Cons

To be paid fairly after putting in some time here, you have to go get yourself a competing offer. It's sad and demoralizing, but several people like myself only left because they started to realize that they were worth more than what they were paid (or worse, promised in noBy the time your through looking for jobs you could tolerate, and negotiating a salary, you're probably ready to leave by then anyways. Practice leads of very territorial to their own (and the agency's) detriment since it stifles new perspectives and career growth of others.

Advice to Management

Shake things up a bit more, and stop trying to tell everyone how modernized you are as a communications company and actually demonstrate that you are. And stop calling the bozos in St Louis a "Creative" department.

Big agency — and all the good and bad that comes with it

Former Employee - Account Supervisor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Supervisor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at FleishmanHillard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They're one of the "800 pound gorillas" in the field, so you're working for a powerhouse.

Cons

Work/life balance is a little spotty, and the relentless emphasis on "billable hours" means they have no problem letting people go at the drop of a hat.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees, and think of them as a long-term investment rather than taking a "how many billable hours did they generate this month? OK, let's let them go if that number doesn't change next month" mindset.

10. Senior Vice President

I have been working at FleishmanHillard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

entrepreneurial environment; industry-leading strategic communications firm

Cons

work/life balance can be problematic, as the firm and its clients can be very demanding

"Mean Girl" culture, no leadership in Chicago

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at FleishmanHillard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart, hard working mid-level and junior staff
    Good office location
    Some interesting clients
    Good national reputation

Cons

Corporate is aware of issues, but doesn't take action
    Reputation among client decision makers is poor
    Former employees are truth telling about mistreatment
    Clients fleeing

Advice to Management

Corporate: take action and make significant changes
    Implement serious measures to improve morale because it's impacting business
    Communicate changes to improve reputation

RSS Feed </> Embed