FleishmanHillard Reviews

Reset
3.2
FleishmanHillard President and CEO Dave Senay
Dave Senay

Pros
  • Great people with a friendly atmosphere (in 12 reviews)

• Employees at FH have the opportunity to work with great clients and produce world-class programs (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Staffing challenges sometimes create work-life balance issues (in 18 reviews)

• long hours are industry standard but are expected without question at a junior level (in 19 reviews)

1. Junior level opportunities

Current Employee - Account Executive/Senior Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at FleishmanHillard

Pros

- Opportunity for advancement - Flexibility with working remotely - Vast network resources available - Client-facing opportunities (even at junior level) - Decent compensation

Cons

- Once per year reviews (for titles, salary, etc.) - Stressful and long hours (typical PR, I suppose) - Lack of senior oversight for junior level

Advice to Management

- Consider reviewing employees more than once per year.

FH is THE place to grow professionally, mentors abound, but it's up to you.

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in West Covina, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in West Covina, CA

I have been working at FleishmanHillard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the best in the industry are down the hall or am IM away. Great for the self motivated. Teams produce award-winning, genuinely great work. Cross-Omnicom opportunities abound. Access to all agencies. Constant prof dev opportunities. Exposure to the best clients at all levels. Creative, integrated thinking pervades most teams. The highest client service levels in the industry. Look at industry CCOs and industry heavy-weights. They've all spent time here. What you will get is a graduate education in the best comma work and access to the most quality network of talent in the business. You will learn strategy, counsel, client service at a time when the industry is remaking itself. You will build your own personal brand and learn how to run teams. You will pitch with the best. Long hours with teams are usually on strategic work and you will earn respect. Senior talent listens to junior, global teams are real. So are the relationships. They will last your career, which is why there are so many "lifers". The network is real. For those wanting to learn and grow career long, this is the place. Money comes after proving yourself. See above with the "lifer" comment. People leave the firm and walk into top jobs. Culture in local offices is dictated by management. It's getting more active, lifestyle-y. More in line with ad-agency and corporate culture offerings. There are a super-high number of ex-interns at all levels, including senior management.

Cons

Slackers are not welcome. This ain't Google. If you are expecting chefs, table tennis at work, this is not the place. Imperatives for success that are cons for many who are looking to show up and not have to work or do anything more than asked: You MUST raise your hand or you will fail here. You MUST ask for help. There is little hand holding. You MUST promote yourself, build your own brand. Note this is a humble company. Over-promoters will fail here too. You MUST know your place and adopt senior sponsors to succeed. You MUST care about yourself, but know the firm comes first. You will have to do work that is "beneath you". We all do it. There are a fair number of prima donnas - both practitioners and SMEs -who have not paid enough dues. Many of them have posted on Glass Door. Look around. Those who matter are "all in." Teams are not forgiving of people who are not "all in". Operations are ethical, but also old-school. There are some who coast at FH. They show themselves early and you can work around them. Those who have the least to do mean that they are not opting in on the imperatives noted above. They will not last. FH is not a place to hide.

Advice to Management

Present the best in the firm with more diversity across the teams. Industry trades images don't reflect the culture accurately. Illustrate the succession plan and the long term vision. Women have many senior roles, but are not perceived as influencing the firm's direction. Change that. Now. Promote counsellors under 10 or 5 years tenure. Clients want to see their account leaders in positions of consequence and partner with the best. Appreciate the best team even more with professional development and access to talent outside of local office. Invest: Send the team at all levels into other offices and partner agencies to learn and grow. The investment will pay off in loyalty and long term business.

Senior Account Executive

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at FleishmanHillard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Started at FH as an intern and thought that it was one of the greatest places to work - the junior staff in the new york office are some of the best in the business. Some really interesting and exciting clients, including legacy clients that have been around forever. Opportunity for training throughout the NYC office occurs often. The digital team seems to have a great system going and does some really creative and interesting work.

Cons

Pay is less than industry standards - my first pay raise was 14%, which I of course was THRILLED by, but later learned that the total was less than the industry standard. My promotion to SAE was a smaller percent, and I now make $8K-$10K+ less than others at the same level in the industry in NYC. Management is lacking - the company is having and identity crisis despite rebranding about two years ago. FH touts its management academy for the Account/Managing Supervisor level, but doesn't teach those management strategies to VPs and above if they join at that level. There is no loyalty - from employees to the company or the company to employees - NY office went through two or three months where 6-10 of the top senior executives were laid off...and employees don't stick around either.

5. FleishmanHillard

Current Employee - Coordinator Office Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Coordinator Office Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at FleishmanHillard (More than a year)

Pros

Uplifting company that teaches, strengthens and empowers their employers, especially women in the company.

Cons

Compensation doesn't align with duties.

Advice to Management

Give bonuses and raises first year.

6. Great spot

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly

I worked at FleishmanHillard

Pros

Great spot if you're able to get an interview. Great networking connections. Will be given work if you ask for it. It's really what you make of the experience.

Cons

Hard to get in touch with upper staff members. Administrative duties will be given unless you ask for more. Typical intern duties - stuffing envelopes, packaging, mailing, etc.

Advice to Management

Make more time for interns. Set goals at the beginning.

Time to tell it like it is

Former Employee - Senior Partner in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Partner in Washington, DC

I worked at FleishmanHillard full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

still some good clients and nice people

Cons

management has lost track of company values and way to inspire good work. they put their faith in the wrong people and turn a blind eye to ineptitude.

Advice to Management

reset back to what once made this company great

A really great place to work, learn and grow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at FleishmanHillard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Super smart people, energetic, great atmosphere and culture. People genuinely like each other here. Expectations are high, even at the most junior levels, but that's what makes it a great place to learn and grow. People are generous with their time and advice, and encourage you to ask questions and to volunteer for stretch assignments. Pay is sometimes viewed as low, but has gotten better and it seems people are really rewarded for their personal contributions. Creative and social teams are great partners to the account teams.

Cons

It's agency life--hours can be long, clients can be difficult, pay can always be better. Communication from "the mothership" in St Louis is often lacking, as is the Talent Development function in general. They need to offer more internal training opportunities.

Advice to Management

Let the non-HQ offices do what they do best. Don't try to get them to do things the "St. Louis" way; that often doesn't work well outside of St. Louis. Communicate more often and more transparently; often we learn things about our own company first from Google alerts or PR Week Breaking News.

Typical agency experience. Work hard, play hard. Sink or swim.

Former Employee - Account Supervisor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Account Supervisor in Washington, DC

I worked at FleishmanHillard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart and hardworking people who are willing to do whatever it takes to get it done. Linear career development progress and codified expectations. Management is willing to work with you if you're interesting in crossing silos/topic areas/responsibilities. More on the casual end of the business casual dress code. They're trying to make changes to the company brand and culture to attract the young folk/junior level employees while maintaining some of the stodgier business culture favored by the old-school mid-to-senior management.

Cons

Unless you are one of the few golden children (every office will have a couple), you will work longer hours and will not be thanked for it. Clients can be multinational corporations that are morally conflicting. Sometimes the message you are crafting will be a straight out lie, but that's part of the game.

Advice to Management

Stop trying so hard to be cool. Focus more on doing good work and doing work ethically. It's mentioned over and over how important ethics are to the company values, but I've been placed in many projects where we didn't do our best or flat out lied. Let's focus on our work quality more.

It's All About the Benjamins...in the Chicago Office

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at FleishmanHillard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get a paycheck. You get free salami and cheese on Thursdays. The elevator doesn't always stop at the 20th, 21st and 22nd floor for the lazy Integrys employees. Trust me that's a win.

Cons

Your paycheck averages out to around $16 an hour once you've billed all your time for the week. I could get paid more as a toll booth supervisor on the Jane Byrne. Im so thrilled I went to school for 22 years. Also the homeless man in the pedway harasses me less for food to, I dunno, sustain his life than our GM does about time entry.

Advice to Management

Think about what you're doing right now, and do the opposite of that.

Incredible network, antiquated business model

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at FleishmanHillard (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are the most important benefit to working at FH. They are truly brilliant, dedicated and fascinating. I learned so much from them but more importantly I made lifelong friends and true career connections. Since leaving I've stayed in touch with dozens of people from several offices including overseas. It's a truly global agency and I think houses some of the best minds and hearts in the business. A great place to grow a career.

Cons

Compensation is dismal. I didn't really truly grasp this as I'm such a loyal employee until after years of working at the company I entertained a few recruiters who had approached me and learned I was making almost half what my peers were. And I was a top performer so I should have been making more than twice what I was making. Not a place to get wealthy.

Advice to Management

Give bonuses for billability and employer management to allocate billability based on performance and results, not just hours logged in a desk.

RSS Feed </> Embed