FleishmanHillard Reviews

Reset
3.2
FleishmanHillard President and CEO Dave Senay
Dave Senay

Pros
  • Great people with a friendly atmosphere (in 12 reviews)

• Employees at FH have the opportunity to work with great clients and produce world-class programs (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Staffing challenges sometimes create work-life balance issues (in 18 reviews)

• long hours are industry standard but are expected without question at a junior level (in 19 reviews)

1. Great experience!

Former Employee - Freelancer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Freelancer in Washington, DC

Pros

The people at Fleishman-Hillard are wonderful to work with - pleasant, intelligent, talented, and fun. It's a very flat organization and senior management is very unpretentious and accessible. Excellent client base, company seems strongly respected within its industry. Fleishman's client base is a plus. The DC office has a number of federal government clients that will insulate the company from the business cycle to an extent, but it also has major corporate accounts. Client-focused professionals, especially in more senior roles, often get opportunities to travel to client offices, sometimes internationally. The DC office has a great location, especially for young people who can live in urban neighborhoods and walk or bike to work.

Cons

PR is a professional service industry, so employees are sometimes at the mercy of client demands. Teams occasionally had to work unpredictable hours. That seems standard for the industry, though.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and good luck during the downturn!

2. Proud to work for FH

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Everyday I come to Fleishman-Hillard and get to do my best work, surrounded by smart, hard-working, highly ethical colleagues. There are not just opportunities to advance, we are required to continue to grow, advance, take on new responsibilities and develop new skills and capabilities. And, we have fun. We work together as a team and then we produce incredible results for our clients. Do we work hard? Absolutely. This is no place for the meek. I am proud of the team with whom I work, from the senior management to the newly hired. I would, and have recommend FH.

Cons

It is a highly paced environment that is not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep the Feishman-Hillard corporate philosophy front and center on the desk.

3. In a difficult industry, at a difficult time, FH is better than the other choices

Current Employee - Senior Person On A Large Client in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Person On A Large Client in New York, NY

Pros

In an industry that is still growing, in an economy that isn;t, FH gets great people and great clients. So it can be the best opportunity you have to learn and grow. Lots of client work with people in other groups or offices, many chances to learn by working directly with senior people. Plenty of opportunities, but you need to stretch yourself. FH really gets the digital side of public relations.

Cons

High standards, and often short deadlines, so there can be pressure to perform. Clients don't always appreciate good work. People who succeed often work long hours--but that is true everywhere in the pr business. Pressure for profitability means less of an easy path to higher pay or bonus.

Advice to Management

Look for clients that are challenging. Don't cut back on quality work for clients. Give more feedback to employees. Make sure people get chances to experience other markets, international opportunities. Don't cut too deep if there need to be layoffs-- hold on to the talent.

5. A great place for smart people to thrive

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

FH has incredibly smart people across its practices, a commitment to doing outstanding work and really interesting (for the most part) clients. If you want to do interesting work and learn from really good people at all levels, this is the place to be. I've worked on the client side and at one of our major competitors and FH stacks up nicely.

Cons

Agency life is by definition demanding, but I think FH is pretty good about not burning its people out.

Advice to Management

Keep up the investment in technology, in professional development programs, and in finding ways to harness an increasingly diverse workforce.

6. Fleishman-Hillard is by far the best place I’ve ever worked. I love it here.

Current Employee - Coordinator in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

The people, benefits, the level of talent here, and the location. I learn something new every day on my job, and I love that aspect as well. Nothing is perfect, and that applies here, but the positive aspects of working at FH far outweigh any negatives.

Cons

The hours required of top-level management. While I am not at that level, I see how much time is required to meet/exceed expectations of our CEO and GM. However, that is exactly the reason why we are ranked so high by our clients, because of the high quality of customer service that we provide. If you want to be successful here, then you must love what you're doing, and be willing to put in the time.

Advice to Management

Require managers to use their vacation time. Touch base more frequently with staffers who seem to be struggling to find out what is bothering them, and make them take a break.

7. FH minds its own business as smartly as it does its clients' business.

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY

Pros

Like a well-balanced stock portfolio, FH is extremely diversified, both geographically and by line-of-business. The firm's size and steady growth also add to this balance and reduced risk in the current economy. Unlike some of its large agency peers, FH recognizes individual achievement, but celebrates the team; out-sized egos and political "players" fare poorly here, while behind-the-scenes over-achievers who let their results speak for themselves reap the largest rewards. Its differentiated mid-western roots, and accompanying Great Plains ethics and values, while perceived as "quaint" and old-fashioned on the Coasts, represent the right tonic for large clients in today's market.

Cons

There are limited perks compared to similar-sized firms. Expenses are tightly controlled. No deferred comp plan or profit sharing. Like all of the firms with large holding company parents, there are many variables outside the control of FH management that limit flexibility regards overall employee benefits/policies, etc.

Advice to Management

Take advantage of the current down market to target new growth markets and strengthen core capabilities in adjacent business segments. Position for strong growth in the pending upturn by keeping workforce at "fighting trim" strength.

8. Having worked at other agencies, I can honestly say this is an exceptional organization.

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY

Pros

Having worked at other agencies, I can honestly say this is an exceptional organization filled with smart and savvy professionals who put the quality of work and clients first. I've had the opportunity to work with teams on extremely interesting projects and long term accounts while at Fleishman, including many international and intellectually stimulating engagements. We all work hard, but we have fun while doing it.

Cons

It's a fast paced environment which may not be right for some people.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on innovation and be sure to continue to use the Fleishman philosophy as an anchor.

9. FH is the best place I've ever worked.

Current Employee - Senior Partner in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Partner in Washington, DC

Pros

The FH culture is the best in the industry. The company is full of smart people who enjoy working together. Management is supportive, not abusive, as it is in other agencies. I've traveled to a lot of other offices and I've always been welcomed by warm hospitable people who have the same goals and motivations as I do -- to do the best job possible for our clients and ourselves. I've never worked in a place that cared so much about their employees. There's very little internal politics. In general, FH is just a great place to build a career.

Cons

The downside of the culture of being nice, is that sometimes situations are allowed to linger longer than others may think they should. There can be a feeling that people are allowed to get away with under-performing. Public relations is a demanding career in general. Because it's all client-focused, you're basically on-call all the time. FH has tended to be conservative in its approach but that isn't as true anymore.

Advice to Management

Pay everyone as much as possible.

10. Positive People Should Work for Fleishman-Hillard

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY

Pros

FH is about as nice a company of professional people as one could ever hope for. Plus, they have what it takes to get the job done to the best of any agency's ability -- the people, the services, the global network, and up-to-date technology and program offerings. They're often ahead of the game.

Cons

None, if you're a take-charge, positive person.

Advice to Management

Maintain the personal touch -- with clients, staff, etc. It is what will keep us going in spite of the economy.

11. FH provides an opportunity for a great career, not just a job. Grab it.

Current Employee - Senior Creative Director in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Creative Director in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

I am in my 14th year in the industry and my team is the best I have ever worked with. The potential to grow is incredible as the entrepreneurial spirit is encouraged and rewarded. If you are not satisfied with the position or group you are in, FH is more that happy to work with you to help you get to the group, office or position you strive for. One of the pluses for me is the interaction with individuals in different offices across the globe. FH has given me the opportunity to get to know colleagues in Germany, Japan, Hong Kong and many others. Very exciting.

Cons

A few of the downsides at FH are the absence of training or continuing education. Though we are furnished with great computers and tools, it would be much more beneficial to the clients if we were trained more.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the digital trends and make sure your staff is up to speed enough to integrate digital practices into the overall project they are working on.

RSS Feed </> Embed