FleishmanHillard Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014

3.2

FleishmanHillard President and CEO Dave Senay
Dave Senay

Pros
  • Employees at FH have the opportunity to work with great clients and produce world-class programs (in 11 reviews)

• Great people, supportive environment, growth opportunities (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Toxic work-life balance and yet managers are surprised when people quit (in 16 reviews)

• Long hours are normal as in all PR jobs, but unequivocally expected by management (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Extensive education in PR, long hours, stingy with overtime

Former Employee - Intern  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at FleishmanHillard as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I learned a lot about all aspects of the industry while working there and the upper level executives were willing to meet with you.

Cons

I rarely was paid for overtime hours I worked and I worked late a lot. I was expected to work 40-50 hours a week, but only allowed to work 35 as an intern. I was often the first person to leave the office if I left at 6:30 or 7. There was rarely helpful feedback on projects or assignments and short, snappy responses to emails and requests were the norm. They offer internship extensions where you work another 4 months as an intern, but rarely hire anyone even after 8 months.

Take more time to train the interns if you want something done a certain way. Do not offer overtime in the job description, but turn around and say never to go over the allocated hours. I was expected to work 40-50 hours a week, but only allowed to work 35 as an intern.

It was the "Agency of the Decade" more than a decade ago!

Former Employee - Senior Partner  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Partner in New York, NY

I worked at FleishmanHillard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good place to start a career. After two-four years, switch to any one of the many better agencies or to the client side. Lots of interesting work behind the scenes for lesser paid junior staff but you'll need to move elsewhere to get credit and compensation equivalent to your competence.

Cons

Current senior management is weak and the much vaunted FH global network is a myth. It's still an old St Louis boys club that rewards slavish loyalty to St Louis execs and local GMs far more than quality work for clients. Late to digital and still searching for an identity. Rebranding to "Truth" campaign is more than a little ironic when the main goal set for every employee isn't providing clients with high value, it's to bill clients as much as possible to "make the numbers" for OMCs quarterly earnings.

Remember that clients, not Omnicom's share price, come first.

Experience at FleishmanHillard

Current Employee - Vice President  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL

I have been working at FleishmanHillard full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of resources, somewhat flexible

Cons

Lots of people will inflated positions; lack of strategic thinking and leadership

Always conduct employee reviews -- people don't just get promoted within feedback from all those they work with

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Collaborative and striving agency

I worked at FleishmanHillard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Culture of excellence where high achievement is expected and rewarded. -Many opportunities to learn from colleagues on the forefront of the industry. Management encourages entrepreneurial ventures such as developing a specific expertise that can move the agency forward. -Clients are loyal to the firm. -Frequently work across offices and disciplines which exposes you to many people, styles and expertise. Also allows you to meet nearly every client need. -Great, down-to-earth friendly people.

Cons

-Long hours are normal as in all PR jobs, but unequivocally expected by management.

Left a bad taste

Former Employee - Intern  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at FleishmanHillard as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great opportunity to gain hands on agency experience

Cons

Not clear about full time opportunities following the end of internship, interns rotate through the agency and have clear defined roles

Take a greater interest in interns and their career development

Supportive workplace, with strong leaders

Current Employee - Senior Vice President  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at FleishmanHillard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

FH managers take time to invest in the individual employee finding the right motivation to bring the best work out of everyone. Client relationships are strong and senior leads stay involved to keep and grown business.

Cons

High employee expectations. Bring it or go.

Internship pretty much required. Great opportunities in digital marketing

Current Employee - Digital Intern  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Digital Intern in Dallas, TX

I have been working at FleishmanHillard as an intern

Pros

Great experience, lots of work if you're in the right department with the right people.

Cons

You sometimes get lost in it all. You really need to step up if you want to get noticed -- might be a con for some.

Try to get more out of your interns. Some of them look like they have good ideas, but they just might be a scared to put their opinion out there.

Great working experience with nice people

Current Employee - PR Intern  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - PR Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at FleishmanHillard for less than a year

Pros

Well-organized system for interns to learn

Cons

may not be able to get familiar with every group in the company

Everything is great

Terrible work-life balance and total lack of employee engagement

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at FleishmanHillard full-time for more than a year

Pros

The salary wasn't too bad. The work location and office space was nice. The office outtings were somewhat fun, but rare.

Cons

If you want to have any semblance of a life outside of work, forget pursuing a job here. Young, unmarried post grads (mostly female sorority types) do well here because most of them don't have any other work experience to compare the unacceptable FH experience to, and they are happy to work 24/7 to get promoted. FH is also stuck in a traditional PR rut and rarely deviates from the old-fashioned way of doing things. So be prepared to go with the flow here and never truly feel like you're making an impact with the previous experiences you bring to the table.

This company totally lacks diversity and intuitive senior management that understands the needs of its staff. Also, forget taking doctor-prescribed medical leave for any kind of health issue or much deserved vacation time off of work . You will either be fired or asked to work during your leave. It's all about the bottom line here. They don't particularly care about the health and wellness outlook of hard-working employees that make this the internationally successful company that it is.

You need to re-organize your business priorities and put the needs of hard-working employees above all else. You need comprehensive employee engagement and wellness programs and you have to lead by example. Also, think about diversifying your staff, which has been proven time and time again to provide new perspectives and innovative business and communication strategies--something new clients are always looking for in a PR firm.

True or False? False.

Current Employee - Vice President
    Current Employee - Vice President

I have been working at FleishmanHillard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Smart, funny colleagues makes for a whimsical, free environment when there is good cash-flow. You get a lot of growth opportunities and autonomy at a young age, which is wonderful and rare. Client content is very diverse and cool. The highs are really high, with proud toasts on good client days and rebid renewals. I miss that part.

Cons

Highly unethical. The DC office reminds you, Dorothy, that you aren't in Kansas anymore. Their new brand is all about being "true" and authentic. "Thou doth protest too much." It's moralistic and ironic given that they have crudely pushed out some of the most honest, lovely, truthful and intelligent people employed there, while retaining and promoting a lot of snakes.

I have been gone for awhile and have heard from others who have since left the serious falsities this office has permitted. This place has devastated the lives of fabulous employees and while this office has worked to realign itself, I would not go so far as to say they are about "truth." That makes me want to laugh, and cry, which i did a lot after I resigned. It "truly" hurt my life.

Quiet employees should not be marginalized. Find a creative space for them to do their thing and nurture them for the behind-the-scenes talent they bring to the table. Be truthful. Be honest and respectful of all your employees, even those who have different political leanings, are introverted, and perhaps too gentile for the Animal House. Those are quiet diamonds shimmering in the wings, and often some of your best assets.

Worked for FleishmanHillard? Contribute to the Community!