Flexco Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.4
Richard White

Great team environment with new challenges everyday

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodridge, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodridge, IL

I have been working at Flexco full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

As part of the engineering group I like the team environment the best, where open dialogue between the group helps solve the problem. In addition, no day is ever the same. As a division designing custom equipment, every project is different with unique challenges. Benefits are also great. I pay around $500/mo for 90/10 coverage from BCBSIL medical, dental and vision. Three weeks of vacation with three personal days are given up front to new professional employees, with a fourth week coming after five years. There's also a 401K with match and an awesome pension, which you are fully vested in after five years.

Cons

The organizational chart is relatively flat, which is good for knowing the higher ups in the business but can be poor for career growth as there aren't a lot of positions to move up into. They are working on a professional growth strategy (rather than managerial) but it hasn't been released yet. As a division that works with bulk materials (coal, grain, ores, etc...) the industry is highly dependent on economic conditions and thus capital expenditures, which can make sales like a roller coaster.

Advice to Management

Sales needs to be more accountable for revenue and sales margins, which drive profits.

2. Production/setup

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Detroit, MI

I worked at Flexco full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent wage and benefits, good top level management good company values and job security, good location. World wide organization with rapid growth

Cons

Very poor middle management. A lot of politics and favoritism. Decided to leave after 10 yrs due to all of the unprofessionalism

Advice to Management

Get some control of your middle management on the floor before you loose anymore valuable talent

3. Not bad...not great...but not bad

Former Employee - Production
    Former Employee - Production

I worked at Flexco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits package. Pay in line with the market. Little accountability, so little pressure to perform. Have a very niche market so business will be good as long as their customers are in good shape...

Cons

Customers are not in good shape. Seriously, when was the last time you heard positive news about coal mining. We have tried to diversify with acquisitions - and those have failed. We got rid of the GM of the most recent acquisition about 2 years ago and never replaced him. So, every day, one of the managers a our location has to baby- sit at the other division. Not well thought out. I heard the senior executives used to be involved a lot more in the business. Before I started senior managers moved off site. See them rarely. They seem nice enough but a little aloof.

Advice to Management

Sell before coal completely collapses. Or diversify so coal mining isn't 80% of our business.

Flexco Response

Jul 24, 2015 – Sr. Global HR Generalist

Thank you for your contributions during your time with Flexco and for also acknowledging the absence of a command and control management culture in our organization. We would just like to point out ... More

Old School Company (not all bad but not all good)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Flexco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very competitive compensation. Great Benefits (pension!) Current CEO is a good guy to have at the top, very approachable and decent human being. Good place if you want an easy job and meet some decent people. Not a typical corporate world place where everyone is only looking out for themselves.

Cons

Most managers have been there a very long time and have never worked anywhere else. Have no idea there are better ways to do things since they've only ever done it the "Flexco" way. Not a challenging work environment. No accountability for most people. At my weekly meetings, my manager likes to discuss my work projects for 10 minutes and then about themselves and their family for next 50 minutes every week. Manager wants to be my "BFF" which is great but I'm really there to do my job and get my paycheck. Wish HR would do something about it but they are pretty Laissez-faire themselves. Lots of cliques. Most people have been there 20 plus years so if you are new it will take a long time to break in. Very behind in technology. Need to embrace the digital age. Aged workforce-Seems like everyone is 50 or over (I am under 50 and feel like a minority)

Advice to Management

Hire more young to mid career workers (20-40's). Train managers how to be managers or get rid of them (especially my manager ;-) DG office is depressing to work at, Lisle office is a ghost town. Create better work environment for office workers.

Overall I am very satisfied working at Flexco.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Flexco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is very good and the people are generally good to work with. Amount of paid vacation time is above par compared to any other company I've been at. Company is experiencing some tighter times with the reduction of coal use within the US but is continually looking at ways to diversify its product offerings and moving into new markets to grow profits and gain market share. This is a great place if you are looking to stay in one place for a long time and actually get to know the people you work with on a day to day basis. Your not just a number here like at bigger corporations.

Cons

Many employees tend to resist change as they've been doing things the same way for a long time. Although changes are happening it often takes time to get them done. This isn't the company for someone looking to climb the corporate ladder quickly. At times people are not held accountable for issues to the extent that they should be.

Advice to Management

Continue looking at ways to grow the business. Hire more young ambitious employees to help infuse the business with new ideas as the aging workforce nears retirement. I think it would be a great idea to develop a rotational development program for young professional's hired on.

7. Not all is as it appears...

I worked at Flexco full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

compensation above market, benefits are solid, strong financially, job security if you're willing to shut your brain off, training is solid but little unfocused, current with IT.

Cons

personal growth for a select few, management decisions sometimes based on rumor, hearsay and innuendo not actual facts, when speaking the truth beware you may be terminated, very experienced long tenured people are leaving voluntarily and some not so voluntarily, sales numbers are moving in the wrong direction, key members in management are incapable of leading/inspiring

Advice to Management

Read the following books - The Carrot Principle, Drive, The Why of Work, Working with Emotional Intelligence, Credibility, Ten Steps to a Learning Organization. People don't quit their job, they quit their manager. Anytime an associate leaves, voluntarily or not, it's because management isn't doing the right things to keep them involved and motivated. Being in an environment that belittles and threatens will demotivate anyone over time. Consider these comments when choosing your managers.

8. Decent pay, good benefits, not for go getters

Pros

Decent pay and good benefits.

Cons

Calm atmosphere. Not good for motivated people who are looking to do great things with their career.

9. Worked here for a little while - good company

Former Employee - Production in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Production in Chicago, IL

I worked at Flexco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Job for life (if you want it). Everyone stays here forever and builds loyalty. Lot of great employee perks. Free breakfast if answer favorably in company polls (best place to work in Illinois,etc). Not a bad insurance plan and they pay you if you walk with a pedometer.

Cons

Everyone stays forever. While this is a plus, there are a lot of times you hear the phrase - because we always do it that way. Still, not too bad

Advice to Management

Great company. May need to upgrade the building soon - it is a little cramped. Good chance to grow globally. Thanks for the job.

10. Best Company to Work for

Current Employee - Business Professional - Exempt in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Business Professional - Exempt in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Flexco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People, Culture, Pay and Benefits, Education ops, Flexible hours

Cons

Maybe some stale and outdated practices and some employees set in their ways due to being there so long.

Advice to Management

Get some new talent.

11. 20+ years and still loving it!

Current Employee - Manager in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Flexco full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexco has a great culture that has evolved over it's 106 year history. Servicing the customer is the top priority, while management genuinely appreciates, supports and respects employees. A highly respected brand name, a supportive and caring culture, and the opportunity to associate with passionate and dedicated employees make it an ideal workplace.

Cons

Mature industry with stable but moderate growth

Advice to Management

Keep it fun and don't lose the strong people-feeling within the culture

RSS Feed </> Embed