Flextronics

Flextronics Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Flextronics CEO and Director Mike McNamara

Mike McNamara

Pros:
  • "Benefits are nice and depending on position work life balance is good"
    in 14 reviews
  • "The work environment is one where new ideas are promoted and recognized when they add value to the business"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "When you are really bust work life balance can be tough"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Upper management doesn't really communicate well with clients and has no business skills to run the whole projects"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good Place to Learn

Johor Bahru (Malaysia)

ProsGreat learning opportunity in cost control, NPI, contract management and lean manufacturing. Opportunity to learn about new products and manufacturing methods.

ConsHave to deal with the variances in customer order fluctuations that will not help in optimizing production and inventories. Career growth limited. Frequent lay off exercises in operating and management ranks. Very long work hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus to enable employee commitment vs creating a high stress environment.

Best place to see what you are made of

Test Engineer (Current Employee)

Pros1. If you are a decided person nobody will stop you transpose your ideas to reality; you are always encouraged to improve things and not to be satisfied with sufficient
    2. Quarterly bonuses, vacation bonuses

Cons1. Highly dynamical work environment, always in a change, so you always have to adapt and your work seems to always never reach a goal
    2. Have to take care of small administrative tasks that are very time consuming and do not have any value added to your knoeledge

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people.

good learning

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosenvironment exposure culture benefit name skills set salary

Consinstability never secure companies blur top management plan in vague

Advice to Senior Managementdiversify

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fast paced.

ProsAbundant resources to help you.

ConsConstantly changing both good and bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more communicative.

Embarrassing

ProsIf you have stopped learning but feel super smart and has the ability to talk to people like they are pests, you are perfect for Flextronics. This is Flextronics, it is legal to abuse your power and live like the monarchy.

ConsWell, safe to say this is a heaven for lesser educated but courage to do the obvious trick to survive. The mindset is very toxic. The moment you step in the managers talk to you in a condescending way. They would ask you to fill in the shoes of some people who had performed and left the place disgruntled. How else would you explain lost of information, projects passed down new hires that resigns and taken up by another new hires without continuity, people leaving short notice. Sabotage followed by more sabotage and the experienced survivors sabotage their own managers by drowning new hires. If you are not in the crony, you are out! Easy to hire people from here. They jump at any opportunity. Lots of sensitive people who act and dress like this is their home. Brainwash fresh grad to look down on themselves and belittle their potential.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive it another 10 years for all the toxic to die of old age and retirement. The place will finally be cleaner or just close down. No fresh blood to replace and information are surely destroyed as another form of sabotage.

Current Employee

ProsOpportunities to grow, great people to work with, flexible schedule.

ConsProvide more Leadership development training

It helped me mature and get a very intensive experience, which contributed crucially in my career.

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee)
    Sorocaba, São Paulo (Brazil)

ProsI got an intensive experience, I could understand and follow the company's politics effectively. My direct managers had a very wide experiences, thus I could learn and develop a lot.
    I had crucial opportunities of growth, I was promoted once a year and could have experience in several departments of the company.

ConsThe workload is really heavy, for a period I had about 60hs of overtime monthly (beyond the normal 45hs weekly). Some people get really stressed due the pressure for results (this made me mature a lot and learn how to deal with it, but some people get really bad for that, even sick).
    The food they offered in the company's restaurant was really bad, many people (including myself) brought food from home - some days it was impossible to eat the food offered.
    The food was a huge problem for me, I spent a lot of money eating out or a lot of work bringing food from home.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would be happy to pay a little more for the food benefit if they could improve the food quality, as I stated in the Cons, it was a huge problem for me.

Incredible pace

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOne can gain professional experience with lots of customers in a variety of industries within a short period of time.

ConsCulture is based on loyalty - you try to stick with a manager and his advancement is considered the guarantee for your own job security. People dont trust their professional performance to stay in current job or get a new one within the company, need a "sponsor" and that distorts their judgement and prioritisation (pleasing the sponsor is the #1 aspect for all future decisions).

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk the talk - root out unacceptable leadership behaviour.

Supportive and Team-focused Work Environment

Manager (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsFlextronics is very team focused and, despite how lean we are from a resource perspective, you will almost NEVER hear "that's not my job" or "You're on your own".... As a Manager, I have a great team supporting me and the company.

The benefits are very competitive for this area. Salaries are fair, not amazing. 401K is 1:1 up to 4%. Healthcare plans are great, with up to $400 free up front to be used for deductibles, copays, etc, and any remaining carries over to the next year. Bonus structure varies by level; 5% or 10% of base which can be met from 0% to 200% per quarter.

Work-life balance depends on your work area and level.

ConsTraining could be improved.

If you are at the operational level (inspectors, line operators) weekends are heavily required. As you get into engineering, program management and management, weekends either rotate responsibility or are not expected at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can only get too lean, before you become anorexic. Things are getting a bit dicey with coverage levels and things are starting to slip through the cracks. While I know this is corporate driven, it could push the site in the wrong direction for our current and hopeful customers.

Make sure you choose the correct location

Senior Systems Analyst (Former Employee)
    Memphis, TN

ProsPay is competitive and benefits are great but downgraded. Work load is depending on what account you work with, sometime great while sometime hectic. Some senior management are decent while some act hyper most of the time. Work environment is safe and security guards on duty all the time.

ConsUnless you just want paycheck then this location is worse for you. There are less chance for an advancement. Be ready to work under one who barely speaks english who's educational credential never been verified. This place hardly work as a team and most of the times it's all about "I" instead "us" crazy but true. Here are the breakdowns depending on what you're interested in. Analyst: Work get done but unexpected demands that must get meet, it's harsh demand most of the time with short timeline. Program manager: Mostly ego between each other and group building to play politics. Testing: Most won't last long here because this plant has awkward understanding about testing, also extreme pressure from customers. Quality: Your name will be on paper but you will be doing nothing or considered for nothing. Process: All day long every day play with pipes and build benches, everything else is beyond their scope of work or simply waste of paid time if they try to do anything. IT: Great place to learn then must get out. Facility: random changes that you will scratch your bald head mode than you actually work here. Lead: Listen to him listen to her listen to all, no ideas what you will do here. Supervisor: Make a point and stand on your legs or else someone else will run the show, very strange. Manager: Same as a supervisor and ready to stay under a gun, you will hardly make any good decisions. Line people: Lucky to have regular hours, sometime too many sometime less. It's a cut dog eat dob business. They try many ideas and talent but nothing works at sometime. If you're talented then stay away. Many talented works here however find themselves trapped and looking for exit. Nothing negative these are all realities.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing....may be one. Do not give power to uneducated barely english speaking idiots. Hire some locals instead of wasting time of talent hire people. This place is what it should deserve.

Worked for Flextronics? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Flextronics reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Flextronics CEO Mike McNamara. All 402 reviews posted anonymously by Flextronics employees.