Flextronics

Updated December 22, 2014
3.1

Flextronics CEO and Director Mike McNamara
Mike McNamara

Pros
  • Benefits are nice and depending on position work life balance is good (in 20 reviews)

• Work environment is safe and security guards on duty all the time (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • When you are really bust work life balance can be tough (in 14 reviews)

• Almost all of the Senior management (VP and above) comes from outside the company (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Job when it lasted

Current Employee - Global Account Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Global Account Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Flextronics full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Diverse and interesting. Job involved a lot of travel to neat places. Must have great intercommunication skills. Interacted with great people from around the world.

Cons

Can get laid off at any time. I never saw it coming. They had to make room for another higher level director. So even though you add a lot of value and do a great job you can get laid off at any time.

Should not lay off experienced employees. A lot of knowledge leaves the company.

review

I have been working at Flextronics

Pros

training system is very good

Cons

lower pay than other similar company

Very rewarding and I was able to use all my skill sets and learned more

Former Employee - Desktop Support in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Desktop Support in Austin, TX

I worked at Flextronics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked in a department that was very proactive and my fellow techs helped each other. Pay was good and benefits are adequate. Every day challenged your skills and knowledge. Never a dull moment.

Cons

Continuing R.I.F initiative to reduce budgets. Little chance for upward mobility.

Extremely Poor Leadership and Business Ethics

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Flextronics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Simulates a good corporation with the potential for advancement. If you treat it like a temporary job, you can get about a year out of them.

Cons

Leadership culture is to protect their positions at all costs. They do not care an ounce about helping anyone advance within the company unless it benefits them personally. Relocated families and hired talented people, used them to launch the MacPro, then cut them to show quarterly savings. Invested in uniforms for 800 employees then downsized to 200 to cut costs. Meanwhile, 600 people took their uniforms home.

Choose leaders who actually lead, have social skills, and retain talent. Do not choose leaders who fire talent to secure their own positions and empower the weak knowing they have years until they become a threat. Promote a culture of brains not a culture of monkeys. Penalize those who maliciously secure their own existence and job security unless it is you who is guilty of it which is probably why it exists. Relocated families and hired talented people, used them to launch the MacPro, then cut them to show quarterly savings. Invested in uniforms for 800 employees then downsized to 200 to cut costs. Meanwhile, 600 people took their uniforms home.

Broken promises!!!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Flextronics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good environment, coworkers, and parking lot.

Cons

Not organized. They will promise you they will promote you once you complete your training... bull crap.

Don't promise positions to people just to get in the company if you are not going to give it to them! Bad business!

I learned a lot of great things here, and got me started on my career of Quality Assurance Inspector.

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Inspector in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Inspector in Austin, TX

I worked at Flextronics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I could get on the Flextronics University website and take all different classes in almost any field there is to think of. I can further my career and move up and since it is a worldwide company you learn a lot more stuff here than you would in just a one country company.

Cons

Sometimes there isn't a lot of work, since I was working in Flextronics, but for Aerotek I got laid off. I really loved this company and all it had. Its a shame I didn't get to stay.

Hire me back. I am a really hard worker and want to move up in my career. MaryAlice Cancino

Completely un-professional from managers to human resources to work for.

Former Employee - Supplier Quality Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Supplier Quality Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Flextronics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Their companies values only apply when it benefits the company and the leadership is very poor. I found no pros working for Flextronics, too bad really. I went to work for Flextronics thinking I was making a solid career change to find about the supervisor disrespected women in the position I was hired in. I was underminded me in front of co-workers over and over. I went to the manager several times and nothing was done. The work center was a Hostile working environment.

Cons

Only con was a free health screening. The health insurance plan was horrible. The health insurance is a HSA just horrible. Dental Plan was good though. I worked 6 days a week for two years to get a new product to market to be re-paid back by laying me off, my husband and 1,100 other people once the project was completed. I will never work for Flextronics in my career again nor do I recommend it to anyone. The pay is also very low if you do not have a degree such as I an my husband did. Most people were only getting paid $10 hr and when converted up to $10.50 hour.

Try hiring less managers that do not have any people skills and Supervisors that discriminate against women. Do not over hire employees for projects then lay off 1,100 people once the project is completed. Flextronics brought jobs to Austin sure enough but then laid all those people off a year and half to two years later !

Typical Contract manufacturing company.

Current Employee - Production in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Production in Austin, TX

I have been working at Flextronics full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work with some very good customers

Cons

When product has completed the NPI processes and production issues have been resolved product is moved to lower cost regions resulting in loss of jobs.

Be up front on the real business forecast. Don't let it be implied that there will be enough projects to keep everyone working.

Working enviornment

Former Employee - Verification Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Verification Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Flextronics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, good benefit

Cons

Low pay, no advancement, no recognition

Tech Supervisor

I have been working at Flextronics full-time

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

No more contract with VZW