Flextronics

Updated December 19, 2014
3.1

Flextronics CEO and Director Mike McNamara
Mike McNamara

Pros
  • Benefits are nice and depending on position work life balance is good (in 20 reviews)

• Work environment is safe and security guards on duty all the time (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • When you are really bust work life balance can be tough (in 14 reviews)

• Almost all of the Senior management (VP and above) comes from outside the company (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

flextronics

I worked at Flextronics

Pros

easy place to work at just had to come in and do the job it is also easy going and fun

Cons

stress ful low pay was alway taken advantage of always said yes to over time always been held accountable for every thing even things I could not control most of it is the customer's fault.I wound up being fired because I told the truth to the customer.

I consider myself a good employee.I would like the chance to be rehired and have my job back.I know I am brutally honest customer's do need to know the truth no matter how hard it is or hurts.

Value life? Not if Flextronics has a say in it!

Current Employee - Customer Service Technician
    Current Employee - Customer Service Technician

I have been working at Flextronics

Pros

Benefits are OK ... and thats pushing it.

Cons

High stress. Poor pay. Little room for advancement. Regional managers try to rule with fear and have favorites circles. If you're not part of the circle you won't be part of a promotion. Constatntly talked down to. You are given a tech support job yet expected to sell like a sales person. If you don't hit your sales numbers then expect problems. HR is too buddy-buddy with managers and therefore are USELESS.

Find another job. You are a disgrace to the Flextronics name. Everything that company says they stand for, you are the exact opposite of!

No one is truly valued!

I worked at Flextronics

Pros

There are quite a few fantastic, very bright people within the organization and some of the greatest friendships that I have ever had were formed there.

Cons

Overall the organization does not care for the people that work there. In most cases it is due to the demands of the Client, but most people are treated as robots and expected to sacrifice everything, every day or otherwise be branded as a worthless laggard. At every level of management there are people who, in a healthier work environment, would probably be spectacular but due to the amount of stress and the extreme expectations are failing miserably. Meeting the status quo is expected and moving beyond it is not encouraged. Mediocrity is the best that most can hope for and most employees are more than dissatisfied with the organization as a whole. The pay stays at about 5-10% lower than anywhere else doing the same job, the communication is horrible at all levels, employees are verbally, mentally, and emotionally abused by the Client (and sometimes internally), and as an organization meeting even the most unreasonable expectations from the Client is almost mandatory.

Pay attention to your employees and get some more help at all levels. You can't expect that a team of 3 can do the job of 10. Set realistic expectations, and support your people once you do. Don't allow any Client to own your business and make every decision for you...you built a business without them, and while you want them as a part of your business, you can't let them determine every step and decision that you make. Communicate (which includes listening!) to your organization, and get down to the front line and find out what is really going on. Your people are not engaged, and if things continue as they are, they never will be. You have the potential for great things, but you need to REALLY listen to your people!

No future to work with Flextronics Shah Alam.

Former Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Shah Alam (Malaysia)
    Former Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Shah Alam (Malaysia)

I worked at Flextronics

Pros

Flextronics Shah Alam was a good place to work. Flexible, good working environment and benefits were not that bad too.

Cons

Recently Flextronics decided to retrenched a total of 1400 employees in Shah Alam plant. It was a bad hit to all of us who were employed under Flextronics.

The decision to retrench workers in Shah Alam plant was a bad move. Considering now the manufacturing costs in China has risen, there was not much advantage retrenching the skilled and loyal employees in Shah Alam.

Steer Clear

Current Employee - Customer Service Technician in Stroudsburg, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Technician in Stroudsburg, PA

I have been working at Flextronics

Pros

For an entry level position without any education past high school the starting salary is decent. If you're willing to relocate there are constant chances for advancement. 2 weeks paid training (hotel accomodations provided).

Cons

Very stressful environment. Customers will yell at you when you try to adhere to Verizon Wireless policy. Verizon Wireless and Flextronics will yell at you when a customer is upset. When you make exceptions for customers, you will get yelled at for being non-compliant with policy.

Being admonished for things that are entirely out of your control.

Sales quotas are unachievable. Even when the quota has not been met, the quota will increase in the next month.

Be prepared to work almost every holiday.

Scheduling is done a month in advanced. If something comes up if you're lucky management may approve a schedule change.

When using the sick time/vacation time/personal time, management will make you feel guilty (ex: "so and so is going to have to be by themselves all day." or "if we can't fill these hours we're going to have to impliment mandatory overtime") and will try to get you to come to work anyway.

Constant calls on days off for overtime. As with calling out, be prepared to be guilted into cancelling your plans and working overtime, sometimes in stores over an hour away.

High turnover rate. You will probably see at least one person in your store leave within the first 3-4 months of you being there.

When offered a promotion, you will most likely wait months before going to training/getting your raise due to insufficient store coverage.

From mid-November to mid-January you can not use any vacation time due to a Blackout Period.

Job responsibilities constantly change and are being added to without pay increases.

Company does not care about employee burnout/dissatisfaction.

Constant threats of being fired if you don't meet unreasonable goals that you are not properly trained on in the first place.

Management constantly comes up with new goals/programs/requirements without being in the store to actually know how feasable it is to accomplish everything. Many requirements are counter-productive.

If you actually know what you're doing and are a hardworker you will eventually get stepped all over. You'll end up doing management work without the management salary.

Stop promising Verizon Wireless so much when the goals are not doable.
    Work in the stores for a week to see how ridiculous all the goals are.
    When promising goals, creating training that will actually help employees be successful, not classes that are a complete waste of time.
    Commission for sales, since our jobs are threatened if we don't meet them.
    Stop giving off the impression that employees should be "happy to have a job" regardless of how we're getting treated.

Company built to be disbanded.

Former Employee - Business Development Senior Manager in Tokyo (Japan)
    Former Employee - Business Development Senior Manager in Tokyo (Japan)

I worked at Flextronics

Pros

I could make use of the personal connection to develop a new business with required resources.

Cons

It seems the organization is not making use of potential power of human resources.

Longer term and resource based view is strongly recommended.

Not recommendable as an Employer.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Chennai (India)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Chennai (India)

I worked at Flextronics

Pros

If there is no alternative, JOIN! If there is, stay away! Otherwise, could not think of anything positive worth mentioning.

Cons

Decision making takes ages, then risk of deciding the opposite of what is required. Arrogance, lack of strategy beyond acquisitions. Focus on centralization and lack of flexibility. Trying to do business in Asia with an narrow-minded American mindset. Too many people in the decision making chain. No real Flextronics identity or culture! Messy organization and bureaucratic structures. No perspective beyond hire & fire: employment roller-coaster!

Develop a genuine Flextronics culture! Clear up the managerial mess in Asia. Do not assign managerial responsibility to job holders who do not understand the culture of the country they are supposed to be responsible for!

review

I have been working at Flextronics

Pros

training system is very good

Cons

lower pay than other similar company

Tech Supervisor

I have been working at Flextronics full-time

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

No more contract with VZW

Typical Contract manufacturing company.

Current Employee - Production in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Production in Austin, TX

I have been working at Flextronics full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work with some very good customers

Cons

When product has completed the NPI processes and production issues have been resolved product is moved to lower cost regions resulting in loss of jobs.

Be up front on the real business forecast. Don't let it be implied that there will be enough projects to keep everyone working.