FlightSafety International Reviews

Reset
2.8
FlightSafety International President and CEO Bruce N. Whitman
Bruce N. Whitman

Pros
  • If you want to pretend you'rein aviation and be at home every night (in 3 reviews)

• Nice place to work, great people to work with (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • I was told by both program and center management that one could expect to work, on average, about 4 days on and have 3 days off (in 3 reviews)

• Promotions and pay raises come very rarely (in 4 reviews)

1. Review

I worked at FlightSafety International full-time

Pros

Overall great company, with a lot of experienced employees who are genuinely committed to FlightSafety's vision.

Cons

Management plays favoritism and can't except recommendations/advise from management team members.

Advice to Management

Say what you do and do what you say. Share your vision so that all teammates can help to reach your goal.

2. Customer Support Representative

Pros

The people are great to work with.

Cons

CSRs do not get paid enough for the work and additional revenue they provide.

Advice to Management

Start paying your employees a salary comparable to our Gulfstream counterparts.

Software Engineer's Reiview

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Broken Arrow, OK
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Broken Arrow, OK

I have been working at FlightSafety International full-time

Pros

Great benefits and flexibility to be creative as long as it pertains to a productive end goal. Provides plenty of travel opportunity and work is performed on a unique and complex training device, which can be very satisfying and rewarding. For engineering, straight overtime is paid past 40 hours worked in a week.

Cons

Program deadlines can occasionally be unrealistic and lofty given the amount of available resources. Certain aspects of projects might be mismanaged, which does not optimize efficiency and thus prolongs schedules and can kill target deadlines.

Advice to Management

Discuss program(s) with each employee working on the project to determine what is achievable and manage the program based on the provided feedback.

5. Instructor

I have been working at FlightSafety International full-time

Pros

If you're looking for great people, you'll find them here.

Cons

If you're looking for trouble, you'll find it here, too!

Instructor Pilot

Current Employee - Instructor Pilot in DFW, TX
    Current Employee - Instructor Pilot in DFW, TX

I have been working at FlightSafety International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stability, Health benefits, make some connections to help you get out once your contract expires

Cons

Don't believe the lies in the interview. Remember, NO decent aviation job requires you to sign a 2 year training contract. This place is like any other bottom feeder charter gig, signing a contract is a requirement. Be prepared to work 6 days with one ON CALL weekday day off. Which means you might or might not be called on your 'day off.' Routinely expect to work as many as 12 days in a row. Expect to see rampant favoritism. When things get slow DO NOT expect to have 2 days off a week. You will be asked to come in to do busy work. This place is/has honestly destroying my health and relationship. I can't wait for my contract to expire. Being home every night is NOT worth anything when you are at work 6 days a week from 8-5.

Advice to Management

You are aware of our QOL but it benefits the bottom line. Nothing I can't say that you don't already know.

Pilot Instructor

Current Employee - Pilot Instructor in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at FlightSafety International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stability. Guaranteed Pay Check. Acceptable health and 401k benefits. Peer instructors are generally decent people. Hands downs, FlightSafety is a moneymaker.

Cons

There is too much work for too little instructor staff. Everyone from corporate on down knows this. However, FlightSafety refuses to increase our pay to an acceptable level that will attract new people. Current instructors are being severely overworked while also realizing that no one is applying for the many open positions. It's a physical and mental beat down. Management at all levels are asking current employees to recruit our friends and colleagues so that our staffing levels will increase. Seriously, they are asking us to recruit so our own lives will improve. I think they think that if "somehow" they can glom onto some new instructors, then everyone will be happy with the current pay levels and the better schedules that "might" result. I don't think that strategy is going to work. I wouldn't recommend my worst enemy for this job. It's really become a miserable place to work. You are on short reserve, you get little support from management, you're subject to work long hours and long weeks, your led by a very weak management team, you get paid peanuts, you're subject to work holidays and weekends, and they always let the garbage flow down to you. Manage in general is poor. As a matter of fact I came here to write something because one member of the center management team subtly recommended we go on here so we can tell everyone how great we have it at FlightSafety. The only problem is we don't have it "great." His recommendation just shows how out of tune our management is with their instructor force. Again, why would I recommend anyone to work here given our current status. I'm definitely not going to lie on here just so people will be deceived into working for FlightSafety. It really seemed like a desperate and thoughtless attempt from someone that has no idea what is going on. And has no idea how to deal with staff. I feel really insulted. FlightSafety needs to severely raise the pay to about $100,000, remove the "you're on reserve clause," develop top of the line work rules, and increase our time off. I bet doing this will fix our staffing issues almost overnight. Finding people that can't get a medical, poaching clients with "employment opportunity signs" in the lobby, and asking for employee referrals just isn't going to cut it. It certainly won't attract the best of the best! Which is what FlightSafety advertises. You want the best, then do what it takes to get the best! I think they just want bodies so they don't have to spend a little money and make some sacrifices for QOL issues. FlightSafety makes money hand over fist so there is no excuse. Corporate management must think they are competing in some other type of industry. Because their handling of this instructor crisis is mind boggling. Bad decisions at every turn. Program managers - some work hard and some think they work hard. I hate to say it, but they are out of their element. Not surprising since the position doesn't pay nearly what it should. You want the best mangers, then make the position competitive. Not going to happen at FlightSafety. Here a computer system limits advancement pay to a minimum. Then these same useless managers get promoted and promoted again into positions that they have no business being in. Until something changes, I would avoid this place unless you're desperate. FlightSafety is desperate for you so you'll get the job. Just plan on being miserable and being around miserable people.

Advice to Management

Berkshire Hathaway should intervene and clean up corporate staff. The company needs leaders that understand the industry, its workforce, and what today's employees are looking for in a job. This management team is outdated. Clean up some of the middle managers. Sending suggestions to your employees to go on social media (specifically glassdoor) to say positive things about the company is a real "bush league" way to manage. Also, setting employment referral goals without any incentive is even worse. Any reasonable manager can see the flaws with this type of management style. Ask certain pm's to step down. Some of them are in over their heads and others are too beat up to make a difference. Let them go back to instructing. Pay, then more pay, a serious increase in monthly days off so we still can enjoy our jobs, no more long days, get with the times regarding Quality of Life. QOL is a combination of items, not just one. Do it now before everything gets worse. Your staff is already bolting or trying to bolt. Save what you have, and build from that.

8. Amazing Career!

Current Employee - Simulator Technician I in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Simulator Technician I in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

This is the best place I've worked at. I've worked at FlightSafety for almost a year now as a Simulator Technician. Excellent salary, benefits, and job security. Couldn't ask for a better place to work!

Cons

Sometimes gets a little bit of hectic when stuff hits the fan, but other than that nothing to complain.

Advice to Management

Better communications for the simulator technicians. Maybe a company phone and/or laptop to have with us when fixing the simulators.

Spiraling down out of control

Former Employee - Sim Tech in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sim Tech in Atlanta, GA

I worked at FlightSafety International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Not many pro's here. If you need a temporary job then take it.

Cons

This company use to be a great company until the founder got too old to where he couldn't monitor its operations. But now, all of the upper management are filled with very arrogant people. They do not care about the employees. There is no respect for the people who have to work for a living. They will chew you up and spit you out without any remorse. Stay away or you will find that you have wasted your time. It doesn't matter how well you do your job because their motto is "we can always hire someone for less money that is unemployed and is in dire straits. The management is composed mostly of uneducated brown nosers. There is no logic in this company. It is ran by an excel document because Berkshire Hathaway only cares about their profits. The company doesn't invest in maintaining current technology. The employees get dollar tree coffee and if there is a Christmas party then it has to be funded by the low paid employees. This business lies to their customers and it is noticeable over the last 10 years because customers are going away and choosing to go with their competitor. It's all the CEOs fault because he lets it happen. He is too old to even brush his feet on a mat before entering and he seldom respects the company that the founder founded. It's ashamed because these people in charge are destroying the company. The managers in the centers play favorites and if you don't kiss butt well then you will never be promoted. Worse place that I have ever worked. I should have left years ago.

Advice to Management

Find another job that you can benefit the company. Try McDonald's

10. Worked for FlightSafety Services Corporation Specifically

Pros

Great co-workers, learning opportunities - paid half of my tuition for Graduate School. Bent over backwards to support me through trying personal times.

Cons

Working from Government contracts leads to rounds of layoffs. Several rounds with lots of anxiety the years I worked there. Technology way behind.

Advice to Management

It would have been helpful to have regular reviews and feedback

Flight Instructor

Current Employee - Pilot Instructor in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at FlightSafety International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The main "pro" is that you're not unemployed. You also get health insurance. So basically, a paycheck with between 0% - 3% annual raises (on average) Berkshire Hathaway owns FlightSafety. This relationship offers FSI a valuable resource that can help the company continue to succeed financially. Hope! Hope that they'll do what's right and make some bold moves.

Cons

-Berkshire Hathaway owns FlightSafety. Obviously, Berkshire is successful, but that doesn't mean their companies are great places to work. That's the case here. Profits and revenue are top priority. We're told that employee motivation and happiness is also important, but management actions say otherwise. This treatment has resulted, in part, to the company's inability to keep and hire instructors. As a result, revenues and profits will eventually suffer. -Center Management: I don't know if its incompetence or cruelty, but they just aren't effective when it comes to managing staff (all about the benjamin's/clients). I think they think they are, but they're not. One member of the Center Management team seems to be seriously vindictive, and is being blamed for the serious lack in motivation. Things have gotten worse ever since the new center management team has taken over. For example, instructor staffing is at critical levels. Part-timer use is discouraged. The Program Manager's have to justify their instructor usage at every turn which has resulted in many more days and many more hours worked for instructors. Scheduling to maximize overtime has been halted. Also, what does it take to get overtime? Nobody knows because apparently instructors aren't allowed to know. What?! Why!!?? Worse, discipline is up even though instructor staffing levels are at critical levels. Center management staff doesn't understand that when an employee starts working extra hours that should be worked by additional staff - while getting paid the same amount - that people are going to start losing any enthusiasm for their job. People are continuing to retire, switch to part-time, quit, or look for employment elsewhere. A single new hire wouldn't make a dent in the "staffing levels" since people are leaving quicker than they can hire. Of course, the situation is worse because they can't even get people to apply!! Center Management needs to work overtime - as long as it takes - so they can figure out a way to staff their center and motivate their current employees. Simply saying, "Thanks for doing a great job" and other wasteless flattery's that are currently being distributed are not going to make up for the lack in pay and days off. The overwhelming majority of instructors are dissatisfied with the leadership at FSI St. Louis and it begins with Center Management. They also need to stop being vindictive and mean (really just one manager), and start understanding how to lead people in a corporate environment. -Executive/Corporate Management: Poor. Its their job to plan for our company's future, yet they couldn't see the "pilot shortage effect" coming? What have you been doing? Having unnecessary meeting after unnecessary meeting? Probably, that's what happens at our center all the time. I guess as long as large profits keep rolling in off the backs of your dissatisfied (not just 1 or 2 disgruntled instructors by the way. Many!) employees then everything is "A-OK." -Program Mangers: They should go back to instructing. They don't have what it takes to manage people nor do they have the guts to stand up to the center management team to push for what's right. They sit back and watch their instructor staff get abused. In the meantime they enjoy the holidays, weekends, and nights off. They are very poor leadership role models, and they are not very good at their jobs! They need to start working overtime - more than their staff - to start figuring out ways to make a positive difference for their employees. -Moral is at an all-time low. Instructors are working longer days (over 8) and many more days. Days off can be scattered - you get a tuesday off here and a thursday off there. Worse, nobody is applying for the open positions. When someone finally does apply and gets hired, it will take 4-6 months for them to help with the load. In the meantime, the 500/550 program instructors are going to work 6 on 1 off for the unforeseeable future (so forever, because no one is applying), the CRJ instructors are working 25 days a month, the 145 instructors are working constant 10 hour days while getting minimal time off, the 170 instructors are working their butts off (nothing new there). Oh yeah, management is fully staffed, and they work far less than the instructors do. They also enjoy every benefit like vacations, weekends off, and holidays. So basically, the instructors make all the sacrifices, and get looked at like they're crazy when they start complaining. Additionally, instructors are leaving or looking to leave. When someone finally does get hired, it won't make difference in overall staffing levels. In a sense, they are trying to add water to a bucket that has a leak. They need to fix the leak first - if you know what I mean. Raise overall pay so people will apply and then our quality of life can improve. Also, drop the two and three year contracts that instructors must sign. Nothing says "avoid this place like the plague" like a three year, non-prorated employment contract. You wouldn't need a contract if you gave them reasons to stay. -As expected when moral and motivation goes down......sick calls go up, discipline actions increase, and people start looking for other opportunities. All this is happening now. Disciplinary action is being taken against some instructors that mgmt feels are weaker and disliked - needless bullying is what it is. Management should blame themselves for creating the current environment. However, they don't believe the "environment" exists. They are wrong though. I haven't talked to one instructor that is content. Watching their peers get in trouble is making things even worse. -Its hard to enjoy the work we do when its forced upon us at excessive rates in an extremely disorganized environment. This is probably not a good sign for a business that serves high valued clientele. The reality is that FSI is paying instructors a single low wage to work the same amount that two instructors would normally work. What a deal. Can't say no to the client, so guess what? Be a team player and help FSI out because they expect you to. -When is instructor appreciation week? We have tech appreciation week and other staffing appreciation weeks, but of course nothing for the instructors. Best of the Best I guess. That award will go to whoever works the most without complaining. "Best of the subdued and quieted." The reality is Monday thru Friday people think that the instructors live a glorious life filled with heavenly advantages. Not true. However, if any M-F person would like to give it a try then go ahead. That requires going to school, getting in debt, getting years of experience while being mistreated by various employers, just so you can finally be qualified enough to work for FSI STL which promises a better QOL with competitive pay - yet they break the promises whenever they its convenient and necessary to get the work done. Which is often.

Advice to Management

Start getting real about the industry in which you operate. This company is extremely profitable. Yet, pay raises and more days off have to be debated by management over and over without any worthwhile decisions ever being made. Stop debating whether pay or QOL should be increased. The truth is, both are needed, and you know it. Certainly needed as of 2014. You're late on doing what is necessary to keep and hire competent staff. You need to start understanding your company's situation. The employees that provide your core service are suffering and are unhappy with no real, effective solution being presented. Pay increase, and I don't mean a minimal pay raise that won't make a difference. A meaningful raise is needed so it will attract competent people and keep the people that are currently employed from leaving. This is the first step that is needed to be able to provide the QOL (i.e. more days off, less hours worked, etc.) QOL - Instructor work rules are needed. The unspoken - yet enforced - rule of being on call/available/contactable for 365 days a year needs to go away. Maximum days of work and hours worked in a day need to be established at competitive levels. I know this isn't an airline job, but its not a monday thru friday 8-5 job either. Managers are taking advantage of the "lack of work rules" for instructors. This absence in work rules protects weak managers that lack the proper skills required to be effective. Granted, our managers don't have these skills, but at least they're feet would be held to the fire, and the instructors wouldn't be punished for their ineptness. Whenever you finally make a positive change, don't add stipulations that make that change useless. Example, "at company's discretion." Weak and/or unfair managers take advantage of these type of stipulations. Do the right thing. Saying things like "you guys are the face of the company, and we really appreciate everything you do" has little value to people that are working excessive amounts. We may be instructors, but we are also pilots (active and/or retired). Unfortunately for management, you have to deal with other "pilot" companies competing for your employees. This means that you have to offer total compensation benefits (pay, days off, holidays, etc.) that are competitive enough to keep and attract instructors. Sitting on your hands with your fingers crossed isn't going to change things. You need to do something big. Make some serious moves and get managers that have managerial skills. Survey your staff and seek out talent. Stop promoting employees that just want to be a "boss" or have the inability to understand people. Once this is accomplished then I suggest you listen to your new managers instead of ignoring them so you can have the ability to make rational decisions. How long do you think the instructors are going to keep providing the necessary service at quality levels? Its hard to smile and provide quality service when your being mistreated. It's your fault when your employees aren't smiling anymore. I'd love to be happy working here, but you have to provide the happy environment. Stop destroying the culture of your company by creating a lesser product due to your inability to make the necessary adjustments. Eliminate the annoying bureaucratic processed that you've created. Most of all - Change!

RSS Feed </> Embed