FlightSafety International

Updated January 28, 2015
2.9

FlightSafety International President and CEO Bruce N. Whitman
Bruce N. Whitman

Pros
  • If you want to pretend you'rein aviation and be at home every night (in 3 reviews)

• Nice place to work, great people to work with (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Since you get paid salary expect to work a lot of overtime on the weekends without any compensation (in 3 reviews)

• 2% annual pay raises are the most that you can expect (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Operations structure out of whack

I have been working at FlightSafety International full-time

Pros

Good people, interesting high tech hardware and software technology and customer base.

Cons

Senior management too busy playing politics instead of providing direction that lead to the highest quality products. In the end it works but same mistakes are made over and over again! How they got ISO certified is a mystery.

Put people who have a proven track record in their respective area in accountable positions and then hold them accountable to for knowing what's going on and making progress efficiently.

Over worked, under staffed, under appreciated

Current Employee - Simulator Technician in Lafayette, LA
    Current Employee - Simulator Technician in Lafayette, LA

I have been working at FlightSafety International

Pros

Lots of proper medical benefits, coworkers make the work atmosphere enjoyable for the most part. Some overtime to help balance out the low pay. Opportunities to move up, and further your education.

Cons

Upper management is detached from what is really going on in the different departments and different centers, my department is under staffed and forced to do the jobs of cs and the instructor team when they couldn't be bothered.

I find there is to much finger pointing and not enough problem solving. Commuication between instructors and simtechs is subpar at best, which causes constant agravation. This stems from the fact that both departments are worked so much that any free time is taken up with paperwork and emails asking for other depaetments help.

We all agree that pay is woefully to low especially for the simtechs who are treated like any other support team where its always our fault, thus moral is always an issue for the department.

Because of management greed we are forced to man the building 24/7 regardless of holidays or who's on vacation.

Voicing opinions is well heard but doesn't go anywhere because what do we know?

Get in touch with what the departments are feeling. Just because your new process makes sense on your desk doesn't mean its going to work in the field. Move the company into the future, put people in charge who can do the job correctly and can motivate instead of constantly reprimanding for medial tasks. Stop putting so much work load on individuals, we cant focus on our job while having to tend to several other tasks we are given. I can't be a simtech, then turn around and be a cs member, an instructor, a facility manager, and IT assistant, a janitor, a secretary.

Great people.

I worked at FlightSafety International

Pros

Great co-workers and work environment!

Cons

The work-life balance could have been better.

Senior Design Engineer

I have been working at FlightSafety International

Pros

You learn alot since you are working with different platforms

Cons

you travel alot so there is less family time.

Challenging and interesting problems but sub par compensation.

I have been working at FlightSafety International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The problems and unique, interesting, and challenging and your given freedom to try different approaches to problems. Some very knowledgable coworkers who are willing to help and mentor.

Cons

No training of any sort, upon starting it was sink or swim. Too little staff and too much work resulting in a constantly deteriorating product. Keep around people who quite possibly have negative value, those who can't work independently monopolizing senior staff's time and create problems as they try solving old ones or are adding new features.

Exceptional family oriented company where taking care and development of employees is key to company philosophy

Current Employee - Academic Simulator Instructor
    Current Employee - Academic Simulator Instructor

I have been working at FlightSafety International full-time

Pros

Working for FlightSafety is an absolute joy and I find the work to be satisfying. Walking into the learning center everyone smiles and greets you by name. The tools available for instruction are some of the best in the industry and allow the flight instructor great freedom in discussing aircraft systems or procedures. Management is open to innovative ideas that will provide the client a better training experience. Work schedule is driven by the number of clients in the center. While this is often a feast or famine coworkers are very good at sharing the client load.

Compensation and benefits remain competitive when considered as a package and FSI is very good about keeping employees on as full-time or salary.

Cons

While the technology in the classrooms are first rate the devices made available to instructors for development of training material are dated. I tend to bring my own device (either a laptop for course development or an iPad during instruction) in order to provide clients with the most up to date information. The classroom lesson development software is years behind Microsoft Office and is very difficult to learn. This means only a handful of instructors are trained to produce the interactive classroom lessons.

For a company whose primary function is training flight professionals the process for training its own instructors is disjointed with ambiguous goals and requirements. Once an instructor has basic qualification in a single program often cross training becomes a self-study program.

Keep on track with the family based business model. Little things like holiday parties and company picnics make a difference in feeling like part of a company that cares about its employees. Care program is great. Keep providing first rate benefits.

Great people, great company, great philosophy!

Current Employee - Applications Administrator
    Current Employee - Applications Administrator

I have been working at FlightSafety International

Pros

Excellent healthcare benefits! 10 day of vacation, 2 personal days, and 7 sick days. Managers will usually work with you if time needed for emergencies. Mentoring program. Tuition reimbursement. Fun company activities.

Cons

Pay is not great. Office politics, but not unusual for any company.

IT position

Current Employee - QA Analyst in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - QA Analyst in Newark, NJ

I have been working at FlightSafety International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

team collaboration on projects, work remote

Cons

compensation for you position held is less than market value

respect the asset you have in employees and allow the growth opportunities internally before seeking outside to fulfill positions.

Asked to take a 50 % pay cut after 15 yrs of service with excellent annual reviews

Current Employee - Sim & Ground Instructor + Check Airman in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Sim & Ground Instructor + Check Airman in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at FlightSafety International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice climate, clean building when they pay the water bill.

Cons

Incompetent management. Have no clue how to treat employees. Treated like minions.

Try to keep your best employees.

Laid back, good opportunities to learn

Current Employee - Engineer in Broken Arrow, OK
    Current Employee - Engineer in Broken Arrow, OK

I have been working at FlightSafety International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Laid back atmosphere, easy to get to know people, lots of opportunities to learn new things.

Cons

At times, somewhat of a hectic environment. Time based merit. Low end of the wage scale in the industry.

Connect with your subordinates.