FlightSafety International

Updated February 25, 2015
2.6

FlightSafety International President and CEO Bruce N. Whitman
Bruce N. Whitman

Pros
  • If you want to pretend you'rein aviation and be at home every night (in 3 reviews)

• Nice place to work, great people to work with (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Since you get paid salary expect to work a lot of overtime on the weekends without any compensation (in 3 reviews)

• 2% annual pay raises are the most that you can expect (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great benefits, Friendly environment.

I worked at FlightSafety International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They offer great medical benefits, 401K matching is superb, they allow you to apply for different open positions within the company at any location, and they provide plenty of extra training at no cost online.

Cons

Management needs training on interpersonal skills. Training is inadequate for employees placed in management positions. Nit picky about certain things... ie how to erase the board, what color shoes to wear, etc.

If the employees you are managing do not see you as approachable or fair, they will not develop a good work relationship with you. It is of dire necessity to have a solid relationship with your workers so that they do not all turn on you, and so that you can be proficient as a manager.

Operations structure out of whack

I have been working at FlightSafety International full-time

Pros

Good people, interesting high tech hardware and software technology and customer base.

Cons

Senior management too busy playing politics instead of providing direction that lead to the highest quality products. In the end it works but same mistakes are made over and over again! How they got ISO certified is a mystery.

Put people who have a proven track record in their respective area in accountable positions and then hold them accountable to for knowing what's going on and making progress efficiently.

Great people.

I worked at FlightSafety International

Pros

Great co-workers and work environment!

Cons

The work-life balance could have been better.

Over worked, under staffed, under appreciated

Current Employee - Simulator Technician in Lafayette, LA
    Current Employee - Simulator Technician in Lafayette, LA

I have been working at FlightSafety International

Pros

Lots of proper medical benefits, coworkers make the work atmosphere enjoyable for the most part. Some overtime to help balance out the low pay. Opportunities to move up, and further your education.

Cons

Upper management is detached from what is really going on in the different departments and different centers, my department is under staffed and forced to do the jobs of cs and the instructor team when they couldn't be bothered.

I find there is to much finger pointing and not enough problem solving. Commuication between instructors and simtechs is subpar at best, which causes constant agravation. This stems from the fact that both departments are worked so much that any free time is taken up with paperwork and emails asking for other depaetments help.

We all agree that pay is woefully to low especially for the simtechs who are treated like any other support team where its always our fault, thus moral is always an issue for the department.

Because of management greed we are forced to man the building 24/7 regardless of holidays or who's on vacation.

Voicing opinions is well heard but doesn't go anywhere because what do we know?

Get in touch with what the departments are feeling. Just because your new process makes sense on your desk doesn't mean its going to work in the field. Move the company into the future, put people in charge who can do the job correctly and can motivate instead of constantly reprimanding for medial tasks. Stop putting so much work load on individuals, we cant focus on our job while having to tend to several other tasks we are given. I can't be a simtech, then turn around and be a cs member, an instructor, a facility manager, and IT assistant, a janitor, a secretary.

Senior Design Engineer

I have been working at FlightSafety International

Pros

You learn alot since you are working with different platforms

Cons

you travel alot so there is less family time.

Incompetent managers....great instructors.

Current Employee - Simulator/Flight/Ground Instructor
    Current Employee - Simulator/Flight/Ground Instructor

I have been working at FlightSafety International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Not much. Free coffee? Clients were great for the most part.

Cons

Where to begin? Management. There is much truth on these reviews as to how bad it really is. If you are considering employment with FSI, I would read and HEED the comments on management style or lack thereof - the reviews that point out the foibles of FSI management are about spot on from what I see in our center.

Schedule - none really. It is a 7 day a week on call type of rig. Changes occur hourly.

Pay - well below industry standard. You'll start at instructor level III, unless you are in a Gulfstream product, then it's level IV. Before tax starting pay at level III is 65K, for level IV it is 70K. Not much going to happen beyond that, unless you become a TCE, Then you get like an extra 3K before taxes, but get the bonus plan of having to work every weekend. Don;t try to negotiate during the hiring process, these are the figures you're going to get - take it or leave it. Allegedly there is a some sort of performance bonus your program manager can give out. But due to the ridiculous politics of the place, the bottom instructors end up getting about the same percentage as the top performers. They preach performance based merit pay, but their actions are way far off from that lie. It is a paycheck, so take that for what it's worth. If you are doing this gig to mark time between flying jobs, then perhaps it might not be bad option for you. But you'll probably go insane from all the other goings on that will drive you out the door.

Heard a rumor, and think some OP have mentioned, that at some centers they are making new hire instructors sign a 24 month training commitment. I would avoid this like the plague. If you think you can sit out 24 months at an FSI center, you must be a masochist. Not to mention, if you bail out early, they charge you for the training, at rates even higher than the customers pay. How's that for employer-employee relations? If FSI needs to slam a 24 month training commitment on new instructor hires, perhaps they REALLY need to address why their talent leaves in the first place...can someone say center management?

When Mr. Ueltschi founded FSI in 1951, he led a company that would grow to be THE premier training provider in private and corporate aviation circles. Unfortunately, the keystone cops running the show now have absolutely violated Al's vision and have perverted the organization into a profit making machine that enriches the top, and leaves those that really make flight safety what it is , the instructors, to whither on the vine.

Pilot Career Advancement Strategy....Stay Away!!!

Current Employee - Pilot Career Advancement Strategy in Vero Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Pilot Career Advancement Strategy in Vero Beach, FL

I have been working at FlightSafety International

Pros

Great coworkers, great academic instructors

Cons

Come get your "free" cfi, cfii, and mei they said. You'll get all your ratings in 16 weeks they said. If it sounds too good to be true, that's because it is. This company will promise you the world to get you to come instruct for them, and then they will not provide. I dropped everything to move to Florida and take part in this opportunity. I should have been weary from the beginning when I realized that these people do no have all their ducks in a row. Anyway, I finished ground school and then it took 3 weeks to be assigned a flight instructor. To them that was considered fast. I flew for a bit and then was told that I needed to do a review flight with the Assistant Center Manager. Director of Standards told me this, and he said he would set it up for me. This was back in November. It is now the beginning of February and I am still waiting. Because you are not paid during your training, make sure you have plenty of money in savings, because it will take a while before you actually start getting paid. Even then, it's only $16 per flight hour. So you don't get paid for the time you are sitting on the ground. Because of this screeching halt in my flight training, FlightSafety allowed me to do data entry work for them. This will basically get you some spare cash, but still plan on living out of your savings account. When I spoke to HR about my halt in flight training, I was told that she would speak with the Director of Standards and figure out a plan for me. She didn't get back to me either. She in turn, emailed me 2 weeks later and asked if I got things straightened out. I spoke to other students in the same program, and I was informed that it took one guy 11 months just to his cfi. When I put in my withdrawal from the PCAS program, HR informed me that at the present time there are 15 people in the program, 6 of which are in the same boat as me or have already withdrawn. How does this not concern you guys? Do you not see the problem here? This company is completely unethical. They will want you to back date contracts, and they treat their employees with an "I own you" mentality.

If there was a "zero" rating for senior management, they would be in the negatives. They try so hard to cover up their own mistakes. For example, wanting their instructor candidates to back date a contract! Get back in the loop and get with the program. You overwork and underpay your employees. You make promises you can't keep. Why would you create a program to offer free instructor ratings and then not allow your candidates to succeed? You boast yourselves on being the best in aviation, when in fact, you leave a lot to be desired. FlightSafety was one of my biggest mistakes.

Worse company to work for... and then some

Former Employee - Instructor in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Instructor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at FlightSafety International (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you are a good brown noset then you will fit in provided they like you.

Cons

Spent 18 years there. It use to be a premier company to work for until Warren Buffet bought it. The CEO and all of the VPs do not know how to run this company. The product is going down fast and they don't care about improving it. The company use to have no competition but that has been changing over the last decade. The founder had a great vision but when he passed away his trusted VPs have been destroying this company from within. It is sad because it use to be a great place to train at as well as work at. The company does not care about their employees

Management? All of the management especially in the Atlanta center and the Greensboro center have mental issues. I am surprised they still have jobs but with corporate management being as slack as they are, it makes for a good fit. It's very sad to see this happening because as I mention... It use to be a good company. In the Atlanta center, you have HR sleeping with the management so there is no way to call them out on the poor performance. All of the management in the Atlanta center have corporate fooled. It's just sad. If you are a woman you will get special privileges provided management likes you seen this too many times. Only a handful of people are holding up this company and it isn't the management. They should all be shown the door before it's too late for FlightSafety.

The worst in my 42 yrs of aviation.
     Have no clue on how to handle professionals.

I worked at FlightSafety International

Pros

None low wages manger is a moron.

Cons

New management has no clue.
    The pilots being trained by FlightSafety international .
    Is a way below industry standard many have never flown the aircraft.

Fire top and middle management.
    They forgot what we do.......

Challenging and interesting problems but sub par compensation.

I have been working at FlightSafety International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The problems and unique, interesting, and challenging and your given freedom to try different approaches to problems. Some very knowledgable coworkers who are willing to help and mentor.

Cons

No training of any sort, upon starting it was sink or swim. Too little staff and too much work resulting in a constantly deteriorating product. Keep around people who quite possibly have negative value, those who can't work independently monopolizing senior staff's time and create problems as they try solving old ones or are adding new features.