FlightSafety International

79 reviews filtered by
2.6
FlightSafety International President and CEO Bruce N. Whitman
Bruce N. Whitman

Pros
  • If you want to pretend you'rein aviation and be at home every night (in 3 reviews)

• Nice place to work, great people to work with (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Since you get paid salary expect to work a lot of overtime on the weekends without any compensation (in 3 reviews)

• 2% annual pay raises are the most that you can expect (in 4 reviews)

1. Only about the bottom line...not the "Teammates"

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Programs in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Programs in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at FlightSafety International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I was promoted fast and often, and had some great opportunities to travel to South America for work. The people I interacted with on a daily basis were great and I loved coming to work everyday. Benefits are very good.

Cons

Upper management is detached from reality. Pay is below average. To get promoted you usually have to preform the job for 6 mo to a year before it becomes official. Raises are below 3% on average.

Advice to Management

Stop being afraid of innovation.

Perpetual Reactive Method of Operation

I worked at FlightSafety International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company demonstrates some of the best hiring practices for acquiring its pilot instructors. FlightSafety has also improved the salaries of the helicopter pilot instructors by as much as 35%. Starting pay for select programs is over 150 euro. Any rating provided pertain to helicopter programes only.

Cons

FlightSafety does not appear to operate as if it has a 5 year, 10 year or any form of long range plan. Some of this is likely caused by the frequent and unanticipated changes in the regulatory aspect of what it does. However, much of the reactive nature of the way this company operates is self inflicted and completely unnecessary. As a result, decisions are not made, or delayed. Among other things, this has resulted in the prime competitor being able to move unmolested into several prime markets that would have been perfect locations for FlightSafety training centres. This move by the competitor has effectively shut down one helicopter program and is threatening substantially reduce another. All of this places the long term plans of employees in limbo and has many considering leaving before it's too late. FlightSafety also seems to hire management and senior executive based less on qualification and more on how well they enhance the appearance of the organization. As a result, a number of over educated, under-experienced members have been appointed to management and the executive staff. They have little to contribute to the day to day operations of the centre's but they look very good on paper.

Advice to Management

Tell it like it is to the CEO and CFO. Continue to operate in an environment of "The Emperors New Clothes" will prolong the flat prospects of growth and perpetuate the fear that many employee's have about their long term relationship with the organization. Stop courting the largest customer and start looking at capturing the largest number of customers. Start actually delivering the quality of simulation, especially visuals, that you tout at the professional trade shows. Customers are tired of not seeing in the simulator what we brag about at the shows.

3. Instructor Pilot

Current Employee - Instructor Pilot in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Instructor Pilot in Houston, TX

I have been working at FlightSafety International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great culture and environment. Wonderful support from management. Superb benefits including paid vacation, personal days, and insurance coverage.

Cons

Schedule can be erratic and unpredictable. Sims run 20 hours/day so sometimes it's early or late show times.

5. Mediocre to good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broken Arrow, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broken Arrow, OK

I have been working at FlightSafety International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many opportunities, low to moderate stress environment.

Cons

Difficult to advance if you are good at your job.

Great benefits, Friendly environment.

I worked at FlightSafety International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They offer great medical benefits, 401K matching is superb, they allow you to apply for different open positions within the company at any location, and they provide plenty of extra training at no cost online.

Cons

Management needs training on interpersonal skills. Training is inadequate for employees placed in management positions. Nit picky about certain things... ie how to erase the board, what color shoes to wear, etc.

Advice to Management

If the employees you are managing do not see you as approachable or fair, they will not develop a good work relationship with you. It is of dire necessity to have a solid relationship with your workers so that they do not all turn on you, and so that you can be proficient as a manager.

7. Good daily benefits such as food and drink, work schedule is brutal, often scheduled 10-12 hours a day.

Former Employee - Instructor in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Instructor in Wichita, KS

I worked at FlightSafety International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good experience to learn how to deal with cultures and people from all over the world. Work place is well maintained and clean.

Cons

The work schedule for Instructors is brutal. Instructors are often scheduled in such a manner that they are required to be there 10-12 hours a day sometimes very late at night and then turn around the next day and be early morning even though company written policies prohibit this type of scheduling.

Advice to Management

Follow written company policy. Be a Leader not a Yes Man.

This is a stepping stone company in my opinion. If you've been in the field stay away

Current Employee - Simulator Technician
    Current Employee - Simulator Technician

I have been working at FlightSafety International full-time

Pros

Free coffee and training for the simulator technician field. Good health benefits and great people to work around

Cons

The pay is below industry standards. You can take a lesser position at another company and make more than your current position in the company. There is not enough manpower for the amount of simulators that we have. The crew that we have work their tails off and keep things barely running effectively, but we seem to find a way to get it done. The hiring process is slow so when people quit or advance it takes them awhile to fill their positions. There is no formal training, but you get good at fixing things because they break constantly. The wiring throughout the simulator is poor workmanship. The engineering prints are horrible. This is not a quality product that they are putting out and expect the simtechs at the sites to make it a quality product. You don't have time to fix things on the simulator when management wants to block training time and you're in the middle of work. There is much more I just don't have enough space and time to write them out.

Advice to Management

When you underpay people you get what you pay for. Poor quality of build of the simulators make it hard for the maintainers to keep them running in a timely manner.

Operations structure out of whack

I have been working at FlightSafety International full-time

Pros

Good people, interesting high tech hardware and software technology and customer base.

Cons

Senior management too busy playing politics instead of providing direction that lead to the highest quality products. In the end it works but same mistakes are made over and over again! How they got ISO certified is a mystery.

Advice to Management

Put people who have a proven track record in their respective area in accountable positions and then hold them accountable to for knowing what's going on and making progress efficiently.

10. Over worked, under staffed, under appreciated

Current Employee - Simulator Technician in Lafayette, LA
    Current Employee - Simulator Technician in Lafayette, LA

I have been working at FlightSafety International

Pros

Lots of proper medical benefits, coworkers make the work atmosphere enjoyable for the most part. Some overtime to help balance out the low pay. Opportunities to move up, and further your education.

Cons

Upper management is detached from what is really going on in the different departments and different centers, my department is under staffed and forced to do the jobs of cs and the instructor team when they couldn't be bothered.

I find there is to much finger pointing and not enough problem solving. Commuication between instructors and simtechs is subpar at best, which causes constant agravation. This stems from the fact that both departments are worked so much that any free time is taken up with paperwork and emails asking for other depaetments help.

We all agree that pay is woefully to low especially for the simtechs who are treated like any other support team where its always our fault, thus moral is always an issue for the department.

Because of management greed we are forced to man the building 24/7 regardless of holidays or who's on vacation.

Voicing opinions is well heard but doesn't go anywhere because what do we know?

Advice to Management

Get in touch with what the departments are feeling. Just because your new process makes sense on your desk doesn't mean its going to work in the field. Move the company into the future, put people in charge who can do the job correctly and can motivate instead of constantly reprimanding for medial tasks. Stop putting so much work load on individuals, we cant focus on our job while having to tend to several other tasks we are given. I can't be a simtech, then turn around and be a cs member, an instructor, a facility manager, and IT assistant, a janitor, a secretary.

11. Great people.

I worked at FlightSafety International

Pros

Great co-workers and work environment!

Cons

The work-life balance could have been better.