FlightSafety International

Updated October 27, 2014
2.5

FlightSafety International President and CEO Bruce N. Whitman
Bruce N. Whitman

Pros
  • If you want to pretend you'rein aviation and be at home every night (in 3 reviews)

• Nice place to work, great people to work with (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Since you get paid salary expect to work a lot of overtime on the weekends without any compensation (in 3 reviews)

• 2% annual pay raises are the most that you can expect (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Growing organization. I enjoy working here.

Current Employee - Program Manager in Broken Arrow, OK
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Broken Arrow, OK

I have been working at FlightSafety International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very busy, great teammates, upper management is approachable.

Cons

Over-worked. Need additional support.

Pay attention to man loads. Hire more.

Great people (instructor cadre), horrendous management

Former Employee - Ground and Simulator Instructor
    Former Employee - Ground and Simulator Instructor

I worked at FlightSafety International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The instructor cadre was top notch. Would fly with any one of them, anytime, anyplace!

Clients were great, we all learned together.

Cons

Summing up what others have pointed out:
    -Management: There is none. The comments about "ex-military make it bad etc." are not well founded as I saw incompetence from all management levels at the center regardless of prior background. I saw equally poor in both those with a straight civilian background in aviation, as well as those with a military. What is a common thread is "management". The managers are trained by Flight Safety. So anything that is going on in the center is a push down from their bosses, and further from those above them. It's systemic, and will rot the company from the inside. What is afflicting Flight Safety is a nexus of management greed, "I got mine", coupled with the attitude of "you should be happy to work here and are home every night".

You will not be properly trained on the processes and "paperwork" (most everything is done in Logbook - electronically) required to document client training, but be expected to be an expert on day one. Don't ask your program manager for assistance. You will be ridiculed. I found it better to identify someone in the program, another instructor, that had figured it out, and asked them for assistance. If you make a honest mistake, expect to be hammered. The expectations juxtaposed to the level of training a new instructor gets on the internal processes, is severely disconnected and problematic. A source of friction for sure.

As several have pointed out, and I can attest, there is no schedule. It is an oxymoron to call it that. The days where you are not "scheduled" you are expected to be available. I tried to find this in company policy, but couldn't. Therefore, all I can ascribe it to is a philosophy of management (see above). When I interviewed I asked specific, direct questions on the scheduling process. I was told by both program and center management that one could expect to work, on average, about 4 days on and have 3 days off. Obviously this would change somewhat, but to the person this is the party line they spew. Well, not the case. Don't schedule anything on your "non-scheduled" day(s) ( I use "non-scheduled" as there is no such thing as "days off" for a flight safety instructor) because if you do, and they happen to call you and you tell them you can't make it, expect to be hammered. So plan on your schedule being 24/7/365 unless you take vacation days. But don't plan on that, the schedule will be jammed and the program manager will deny until a later time. The guy who posted about not getting vacation for a year is about average from what I saw.

We had a one manager who was not licensed, or even instructed, in an airplane. How does that happen?!?

-Schedule: There isn't one. See all previous write ups about this. They have no issues working you on an insane "schedule". With leaving the building at 3 AM from a sim and showing back at 8AM that same morning to teach ground school. Wash-rinse-repeat for weeks. Or better yet, working the 9 PM to xxAM sim period for 7 days straight then turn around and start 6 AM to xxAM periods with not even a 24 hour break in between. Nice circadian rhythm dump that is. You are better off on reserve.

-Pay: Very low compared to industry standard. You'll start out at 65K a year gross. Good news is it will stay like that for perpetuity except for the miserly 2% raise. For a company that proclaims itself as "the" industry leader, it is woefully inadequate for the instructor cadre. As an instructor you are SALARY. See comments on schedule and management above. Like others have indicated, it really kicks you between the legs when the center management boasts of making XX million in profit for the year, yet you see a measly 2% increase. I wonder what center management's cut was? Whether you are the best, or the worst, instructor in your program, you will be paid about the same. Get used to that if you want to work there. Merit raise is a joke. At least you have a chance to laugh at something, because everything else is miserable.

-Timeoff: Enjoy your sleep between sim periods.

-Cliques: Yes there are and it's the worst I've seen in any organization - ever. Remember Gordon gecko's comment from the movie Wall Street, "If you're not inside, you're outside". Cliques run through the entire organization, from the CSRs upfront to the sim techs behind the glass. If a non-member, you step on the wrong toe and you'll get hammered.

-Career Advancement: See clique comment above.

-End result: I left for another job in aviation. I'm home every night, I get paid very well (significantly more than when at Flight Safety), and have a relaxed, professional team of highly motivated pilots I work with. Oh yeah, when not scheduled, I'm not scheduled.

The instructors ARE the face of Flight Safety. You must do the utmost to make sure they are properly trained in all aspects of the organization's processes and be open to questions. You must allow for adequate rest and breaks and provide a more stable schedule. Don't say you can't, other companies seem to be able to accomplish this very minor task. Mentor them, and provide sufficient salary to the level of ability - objective not subjective.

An unhappy, majority of instructors at the center, will provide impetus for the exodus. Yes, they will do their jobs. It's flying after all and we all want to provide the best level of training to the clients we can. But taking advantage of that is wrong. And that seems to be the mantra of management at Flight Safety.

Flightsafety is horrible company to work for, stay away!! This is by far the worst company to work for.

Former Employee - Management in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Management in Savannah, GA

I worked at FlightSafety International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Free Food, Coffee and candy. The bathrooms are clean.

Cons

Management has no leadership capabilities and I will NEVER work for these horrible people again. The instructors are mostly just grouchy old men that have no idea hoe to use ANY of the training material and equipment that the instructors teach with. The IT department has been taken over by Compucom and communication with Flightsafety and Compucom are disastrous!! Flightsafety only cares about lining the pockets of their "Circle Of Friends". I have watched as Flightsafety has slowly outsourced all the support jobs. I have watched as numerous Flightsafety employees loses their job becuase of the the management not caring enough to treat and train their teammates.

All management needs to be retrained and the Flightsafety culture is horrendous. Noone cares about the little men and women of Flighsafety and because of this I hope you FAIL.

Currently In Limbo

Current Employee - Instructor in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Instructor in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at FlightSafety International full-time

Pros

There are always a handful of co-workers who just rub you the wrong way no matter where you work, and FlightSafety is no exception. However, most co-workers (mgmt included) are pleasant in nature and easily approachable.
    The international clientele are fun to work with and keep things interesting. The starting pay is acceptable. 401k and health insurance are within industry standards. A newly appointed center manager offers an opportunity to correct issues listed in Cons.

Cons

Pay increases are a problem. FSI has had the same starting pay for 15 years. Increases are never anything more than inflation (around 2-3%). Competitors starting salaries are 28% more than FSI which shows that FSI's salary offerings are quite dated.

The work schedule offered is very misleading upon hire. What should be the most appealing benefit that FSI offers is a more stable quality of life, but instead its the complete opposite. Holidays are worked if necessary with the exception of the big one's like Christmas. However, why is Christmas any more important than Labor Day. They are weighted the same as far as the company is concerned. However, program managers self-weigh the importance of each holiday and schedule as appropriate. Their managers continue to allow it. So FSI holidays are not for instructors. Boo!

The schedules are consistently changed. What appears as scheduled days off actually means you just haven't been scheduled for something yet. You will get days off, but its hard to plan anything because you don't know which days off you'll get to keep. The schedule is similar to an on-call corporate gig, except you work a lot more. Airline reserve offers a better quality of life than this type of schedule. At least with reserve you know what days off you'll have during the month. Unfortunately, this issue is not related to just one program. The scuttlebutt from a majority of instructors (if not all) is the schedule degradation is a real problem. (The above paragraph is a daily discussion among the instructors while at work and away from prying ears. The back and forth is quite humorous, but the reality is sad)
    The schedule issue also creates a hidden divide among instructors who generally get along. Each one trying to avoid the least desirable duties or anything that would increase/change their scheduled days off/workload. Program managers seem to appease those who individually complain or threaten(quitting) resulting in an unfair and unbalanced schedule among instructors. One instructor gets 7 days off while another gets 15 (all days off subject to change though). Very unfortunate.

The management team is very intelligent. However, they are weak when viewed from a business/people management perspective. The proper managing of employees is their weakest of skills. As well as acceptance of their mistakes. When changes happen or mistakes are made, the instructors always pay the price. There is no leadership by example (with the exception of one program manager who i see sometimes on weekends or teaching in Ground School). The managers know their schedules, days off for the month, etc, but then let the garbage trickle down to the last people standing - the instructors.

I think FSI is at a crossroads. It seems that the instructor dynamic is changing. The median age of instructors has decreased, creating a well diverse instructor group which the clients seem to like. However, the quality of instructor will decrease if FSI continues to offer substantially lower pay and a schedule that offers little consistency. These two things (lack in pay and schedule) create a poor quality of life and differs from the norm in this field. I don't anticipate any changes until it gets to a point where sustainability is lost. Which might not be too far away since being unable to hire instructors seems to be a current issue.
    I can't recommend this job to friends/colleagues who inquire since the improvement in quality of life that is offered doesn't exist.

The managers need to be properly reviewed. Some managers are promotion junkies yet lack the skill sets required to be successful. Stop only focusing on the short-run otherwise you'll lose the future.

Great for experience but not for a career.

Current Employee - Instructor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Instructor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at FlightSafety International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Valuable experience can be obtained while working for this company

Cons

I spent almost 18 years working for the company. The first twelve years the employees were appreciated and if you worked hard you could expect to be appreciated and compensated as well. I really don't know why all of that changed but working there today, if you are not part of the good ole boy group then you will only be used up to the point to where you have met a specific managerial goal and once that is met then you are no longer appreciated. Today there is no loyalty to the employees. It is in my view that many of the locations, specifically the Atlanta Center is managed with arrogant people that are under pressure from corporate to do more with less. This has caused the work environment to become hostile. They will cut every corner even if it affects the quality of the product. If you do work there then consider it nothing more than a paycheck. There are fabulous good people working there and I enjoyed my time there. But again, when the revenue begins to slow, the company is not pro-active in boosting it through proper marketing. You can feasibly get hired and laid off within the same year.

Benefits are great, but IT and other policies are ridiculous!

Current Employee - Engineer in Broken Arrow, OK
    Current Employee - Engineer in Broken Arrow, OK

I have been working at FlightSafety International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Candidates start out with 2 weeks of vacation for the first 5 years and have the capability of accruing up to 40 hours of comp-time (overtime worked) which can be taken as additional vacation at a later time along with 2 personal days a year. The atmosphere is very relaxed most of the time and management is flexible with working hours for most departments. You have great opportunities to move up in chain and go from being a technician to management fairly quickly.

Cons

IT policies and security settings can make your job very difficult as a lot of things are blocked, prohibited, or very slow to get to. The companies goal with this is to protect intellectual property as well as ITAR/EAR restricted leaks.

Wage Slave

Former Employee - Production in Broken Arrow, OK
    Former Employee - Production in Broken Arrow, OK

I worked at FlightSafety International full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Holidays off, people are very nice and great to be around. The paid leave is pretty decent. The health insurance is some of the best on the maket.

Cons

Very stagnant low pay. Had 3 people leave our work center in the last 3 months to higher paying jobs, myself being one of them. Overtime is "mandatory" all the time every day and is usually in the morning 2 hours before actual start of work day. You pretty much have to work overtime anyway to earn a decent paycheck. Makes for a long week. Their retirement pension program was discontinued a few years ago as well. If your goal in life is to be a stagnant wage slave, then FlightSafety would be a great fit. Otherwise I would not recommend this job to anyone. I stayed a little over 6 months then jumped at the first opportunity for a better paying job.

FlightSafety is a multimillion dollar company under Warren Buffet's Berkshire Hathaway, yet the employees in the production area are some of the lowest paid in the field. And management keeps scratching their heads at why the turnover is so high. Get a clue: people want to be paid for what their skills are worth. You reward your employees for the great company yearly profits made with $0.10 raises and taking away their pension plans.

Nice place to work if you are retired or ex military.

Former Employee - Pilot Instructor
    Former Employee - Pilot Instructor

I worked at FlightSafety International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Professional instructors and great clients. Working with clients was very rewarding.

Cons

Under staffed and over worked. Salaries are low compared to the rest of the industry. Company is micro managed by numerous cliques.

Hire some managers who have management experience.

Loved the Company but I.T. Management leaves a lot to be desired

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Hazelwood, MO
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Hazelwood, MO

I worked at FlightSafety International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is highly technical and their Simulators are second to none. The staff out of New York are some of the best people I have ever worked with.

Cons

The employees at are extremely smart, but management appears to always be lacking in the I.T. department. There is no longevity in their I.T. department and as of this date no one has been there longer than approximately 4 years.

Give people a chance and try to encourage them and give them a place to succeed.

Low Pay, Poor Management

Former Employee - Engineer in Broken Arrow, OK
    Former Employee - Engineer in Broken Arrow, OK

I worked at FlightSafety International full-time

Pros

Its a job if you really need one and can't find anywhere else to work, but I wouldn't recommend any engineer to go there.

Cons

Low pay compared to equivalent jobs at other companies. Managers have little management knowledge, many are promoted from within and don't have the knowledge or skill to manage the programs. They are shoot from the hip types and then blame the lower employees for the problems that result. They basically don't know what they are doing.

Hire some qualified mid level managers that have degrees.