Flint Hills Reviews

Brad Razook

1. Great Place to work

Former Employee - Operations in Corpus Christi, TX
    Former Employee - Operations in Corpus Christi, TX

I worked at Flint Hills full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome place to work, with great people and great pay.

Cons

Schedule not typical shift schedule.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the ungrateful employees.

2. Good Company

I have been working at Flint Hills full-time

Pros

Koch Industries' market based management is superior to most companies' management philosophies.

Cons

The general culture is a little stale. Company does not promote work-life balance. Each employee certainly has to drive their own.

Advice to Management

Do more "little things" to show appreciation for your employees

3. Good company

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Whitefish Bay, WI
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Whitefish Bay, WI

I have been working at Flint Hills full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility in work schedule, commitment to EHS

Cons

Bureaucracy, advancement opportunities are limited, compensation generally below average since the pay "market"...which is a lagging data indicator.

5. Overall good company- As long as you

Current Employee - Optimization Engineer in Romeoville, IL
    Current Employee - Optimization Engineer in Romeoville, IL

I have been working at Flint Hills (More than a year)

Pros

It's a large company, so transferring around should be relatively easy. FHR is a good place to work at depending what location you're in, so I would suggest transferring to those locations.

Cons

First off, I would like to point out that my viewpoint may be a bit biased since I was based off the Joliet, IL location. Depending on the location you're working in the work environment can vary a lot. I've heard plenty of good reviews from sites such as Pine Bend and Corpus Christi. Even during the end of my employment of FHR I still believe the Market Based Management philosophy works great if it is followed properly. I still recommend people to work for Flint Hills Resources and Koch, but only to certain locations.

Joliet, IL location however is was different story. During the time of my employment these issues were very apparent, and which I will go over the main issues: turnover rate is extremely high, morale is low, and poor management/leadership.

1. High turnover rate - Joliet IL has an abnormally high turnover rate. I was told many times this was due to Koch Industries expanding and promoting their employees within. This is partly true, but only a small fraction is due to that. The other portion is due to a lack of a work/life balance.

It is extremely hard to get away from work when sections of the plant go down on a daily basis. As an optimization engineer, there has been very large spans where you come in on weekends/holidays, work 12 hour days, get called constantly in the middle of the night, and asked to drop things in your personal life to come to work to fix an issue. There is a very distinct difference from staying late at work because you want to, and staying late at work because you're forced to.

2. Low morale - Majority of the plant is overworked and burnt out. It is very difficult to maintain a positive spirit when you are always battling with issues that need to be resolved right away. This leads to an unmotivated group that frankly doesn't care. Attention to detail begins to slip and then more issues occur. It becomes a vicious cycle. Why work hard if no one else is? Why do more than exactly what you are told to do and nothing more? Unfortunately this is what the plant has become.

3. Poor management/leadership - I do admit there is a few (very few) that I respect in the management/leadership role. The reason being is because many would rather play politics to save their own job than to do what's right. There has been a decent amount of change in management which I believe is going in the right direction, but not enough has been done before my departure.

Many focus on what is wrong and very little on the successes. I have known many that gave everything to plant and got nothing but an unenthusiastic "good job", but if something is missed due to being overworked they get an hour-long meeting with their supervisor to be disciplined.

Many choose to protect their jobs than to do what's right. I've seen managers pass off the blame to get others fired rather than themselves, I've seen them hide/twist information to corporate to not make it sound like they were at fault, and what especially bugs me is I've seen a few of them hold back improvement of the plant so they don't look bad. I was told by my supervisor many times that "No one is going to blame you for going slow, but you will be blamed if something goes wrong." If there is a low risk and high return on a choice you take it; that's Koch's way. Instead, he was afraid that his credibility would go down even more, which was rightly deserved after being wrong so many times and costed the company millions upon millions of dollars. Sorry about this part being a rant, so I'll digress.

Last but not least, the respect for people's time is appalling. I've never seen a company so willing to make others work without a second thought that they are are overworked. The second a half-baked idea pops in their heads they request people to stay late, or come in for overtime.

Summary- As I said Flint Hills in other locations is a great place to work at. If they were in locations that I would have liked to work in I would have transferred in a heartbeat. The reason why I gave such a horrible review is due to the Joliet, IL location. I hope that this plant pulls itself together, but I don't believe that will be the case.

Advice to Management

Continue what you're doing and you will not have a single engineer willing to stay more than 2 years.

6. Support

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Flint Hills (Less than a year)

Pros

Convenient location of building compound.

Cons

Koch Brothers own this company.

As an outside operator the RC you go to plays a big role in the quality of job and work/home lifestyle.

Former Employee - Operator in Corpus Christi, TX
    Former Employee - Operator in Corpus Christi, TX

I worked at Flint Hills full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, bonus opportunities, yearly pay raise, 401k match.

Cons

Smell of chemicals is more than I was comfortable with

Advice to Management

Old school supervisors make the new changes difficult to carry out

8. nice pay, lots of overtime, stressfull

Former Employee - Instrumentation in Joliet, IL
    Former Employee - Instrumentation in Joliet, IL

I worked at Flint Hills

Pros

nice pay, chance of moving up in the company is ok

Cons

overtime, no commitment from management

Advice to Management

listen to your employees and do real investigations not here say choices

Top notch private company with very solid principles.

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Rosemount, MN
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Rosemount, MN

I have been working at Flint Hills full-time

Pros

Solid business performance that will survive the market for years to come leading to a great number of opportunities. This is where you want to be if you have a great work ethic with excellent values.
    This company talks the talk and walks the walk when it comes to safety.

Cons

Not a con but you get what you put in and are motivated accordingly. Don't work here if you want to coast by. This is an entrepreneurial organization where the strong survive and the weak are confused at why they aren't getting ahead. Think real world free market and if you understand this you understand this company. With that said, learn to manage your priorities in life or you could end up feeling like work is all you know.

Advice to Management

Base salaries seem low for the industry and work environment and facilities seem archaic. This company will fall behind with future generations at this rate based solely around environment and older generations holding us back.

10. Great Company

I have been working at Flint Hills full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You control your professional progression. Hard work does not go unseen.

Cons

Added responsibility does not necessarily equate to increase in pay.

11. Great company but work versus home life is unbalanced.

Current Employee - Engineer in Joliet, IL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Joliet, IL

I have been working at Flint Hills full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company has great benefits and great pay. People I work with are friendly and knowledgeable. Many opportunities available to move within the company

Cons

Work days are very long. Passive aggressive personalities seen with some upper management personnel. Work and home life is completely unbalanced.

Advice to Management

Better communication and more resources needed.

RSS Feed </> Embed