Flint Hills

Add Photos

Brad Razook

Highly structured IT Dept

Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) Wichita, KS

ProsGreat job opportunities. A company that really cares about its employees. Good people with positive attitudes. Great pay and benefits. A company you can make a career with. Solid belief about moving forward and embracing new technologies. Highly interested and supportive of training opportunities.

ConsIT Dept is highly structured; therefore, there are lots process and procedures 'hoops' to jump through. Projects and demand are highly backlogged. Located in Wichita, KS.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is doing a great job of encouraging employees to find the perfect fit/position in the company.

Very satisfied

Reliability Engineer (Current Employee) Pine Bend, Dakota, MN

ProsIf you're aligned with free market ideals, you're aligned with the Koch Industries management philosophy. Plus, the company is expanding at an incredible and exciting rate. The opportunities for a competent employee are nearly limitless.

ConsIf your plant or company is not performing well or has low potential for success, Koch Industries will not hesitate to cut their losses.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt the plant level, the work/life balance could be improved in some positions.

Some good professionals but a very poor culture in Port Arthur

Process Engineer (Former Employee) Port Arthur, TX

ProsPay, very busy, learn on the job fast, plenty to do, company is growing fast, good principles, has lots of potential and future with the right attitudes.

ConsPoor safety, work ethic, and team culture. Hourly-Bad entitlement culture. Very spoiled. Complain about the type of meal they receive from mgmt for meetings/recognition. Front line and mid level Salary – Lots of silo’s due to workload. Very lean for amount of task, expectations, and level of responsibilities. Very poor job leading safety efforts and changing safety culture from huntsman era. Not supporting safety and environmental groups and principle. Senior Leadership is mixed – Reliability, Enviro, and Safety Managers are young, aggressive, and outstanding leaders. They are very good with others and follow company principles. Other senior managers do not follow these principles and bad ethics.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave your Reliability, Enviro, and Safety Managers lead the way. Have them pull in the others to follow our company profile and make front line improve their enviro/safety culture. Don’t tolerate insubordination and disrespect from hourly.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cult-like management and hush-hush ways of conducting business

Safety Department (Former Employee) Rosemount, MN

ProsThe pay can be quite lucrative if you are able to ask a high price tag upon entry into the company. Many of the union operators make very good money ($150,000+yearly) however, they work a lot of overtime during turnarounds. Those that have been there a long time within management (7+ years) can make $100,000+ quite easily as well.

Work week is 40 hours most of the time, unless during turnaround (roughly two months out of the year), and depending on your role, may be 70 hours per week or more (salary employee).

Sign on bonus. Can vary with what you negotiate.

401K and also a pension plan with five years working for the company.

Company will help pay for certifications and trainings within your field of expertise. There is room for advancement, not so much at the Pine Bend facility, but at any of the other numerous Koch owned facilities across the world if you are willing to move.

Job security is pretty good here, as long as you don't ask many questions and go with the brainwashing they try to instill in you. If you like to change the status quo, or don't necessarily agree with big business not being able to influence the government elections and have an inquisitive mind, then you will soon find out that this is not the job for you. If you like to sit around and watch the world go by, then this is the job for you!

ConsMost of the infrastructure in this corporation is redundant and there are multiple people to take care of job duties that could (in most cases) be done by only a few. For instance, there were nearly 40 people within the safety department conducting a number of jobs that I had myself (along with three other safety personnel), had successfully undertook in a previous employment. This forced my position to be too specialized and me wanting to have more responsibility, but could not have in fear of taking someone else's job in the process (and somebody who had been there for longer assuredly).

My manager was very inexperienced in subordinate relationships , cocky towards me, a gigantic suck-up, and overall very poor at managing other effectively without extreme micro-managing. I felt very "watched" and that if I had any new ideas or brought other previous experiences from previous employers into conversation that I was met with extreme skepticism. I felt that my voice was not heard very well at all. Im not saying this to be true of all managers, as I know that there are many there who are much better, but this was my experience. There was a definite disconnect between my upper management in my department and the lower subordinates. Upper management was not aware of issues as they were kept so busy with other things that were completely out of their lower management's realm of operations.

The guiding principles, written by Charles Koch himself, called the "MBM" principles, are a cleverly worded string of training classes and living-doctrine bible that you will be EXPECTED to practice and preach (even in your life outside of work I felt) if you are to be successful within the company. I had the impression that since I made the mistake of voicing my particular opinion on not 100% agreeing with these guiding principles that I was blacklisted by both management and even HR. While many of the principles are good business practice, they cleverly input free-market society propoganda into the teachings, as well as just giving me an overall "cult feel".

I have seen employees let go and the only explanation is that they "didn't match with the guiding principles of the company". Very hush hush about these types of things and most people in the refinery do not feel that they can actively voice their opinion without possibly raising the eyebrow of Big Brother.

Flint Hills is definitely not a leader in safety as they are not on the cutting edge and are more of a lagger. They prefer to do things "as they've always been done before" with it being extremely difficult to drive change from a lower position within the company. I have seen my safety recommendations (being a part of the safety department) only come to fruition after MONTHS of my initial recommendation and only after someone from upper management "thought" of the same thing; or worse yet, there was an accident stemming from the very issue I had brought up to try and correct. A very REACTIVE company rather than PROACTIVE overall. Even within their own sister-sites (Texas and Alaska) there is VERY little collaboration on what is being done within their organization to improve safety; they are effectively "in the dark" of what each other is doing to protect workers. Literally, 100% tie- off for fall protection above 4 feet only became mandatory less than FOUR YEARS ago. Insane.

Bonuses are less than I was promised upon hire, as well that my salary was less than what other entry-level professionals made within the company. Received 6% of salary as performance bonus for the year, but was very very heavily taxed (40%). Also received a small bonus for working 12 hour days for two months as an "appreciation" bonus (although, if I were hourly, my billed time would have been over twice as much for the same period). Once again, this was heavily taxed as well.

This, partly due to my fault, is because I assumed I could get into the company at a fairly cheap salary and ask for a raise within the first year as I expected them to value me. Unfortunately, this did not happen, and my attempt to receive an accurate and fair raise to match what others with my same skill-set and experience (M.S. degree and other safety certifications) was met with denial and almost a berating of the good qualities and accomplishments that I did show the company. Along with this, I was hired for a specific job with specific job descriptions and spent nearly a YEAR doing my managers previous job (as he was promoted), of which, nearly all of the responsibilities were not conveyed to me during my hire or interview process. My job duties were NOT what I was told I would be doing before my hire to the extent that I was actually performing a higher-salary job function for a much cheaper salary. I was told repeatedly that my original job description duties would be allocated to me eventually, to "hold on", but it took literally one whole year to do what I was originally told I would be hired to do.

Overall, I saw a lot of unhappy people here who were mostly there for the money and the fact that, for the most part, it was not a challenging job other than possibly working a lot of hours. There was an overall poor safety culture and the relationship between operators/contractors and office management was literally non-existant; as in operations basically did what they want and, at least the safety management (for the most part), went along with whatever it took to satisfy the operations side of the refinery.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverhaul the "old school" mentality and make sure that new innovative ideas are heard and considered. Do research to match or exceed other peers within the oil and gas business. Trim the middle management and re-evaluate the effectiveness of the safety program.

FHR is a great place to work

Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Wichita, KS

ProsIT shop is in very good condition: Roles and responsibilities clearly defined, lots of support/dev environments set up, projects lined up for the next several years, company willing to invest in IT. Department is very social and has great communication. Department promotes from within.

ConsVery flat organization. Not a lot of management opportunities. No laptops / very limited to no working at home.

Working for Flint Hills - Don't

Health and Safety (Former Employee)

ProsFlint Hills is part of the KOCH Industries family of companies. While competitive in compensation adjustments (increases) are few and far between. As part of a larger group of companies resources were always available (more help then you ever needed or wanted).

ConsSenior management is comprised of a select group of yes people who have chosen to drink the Kool Ade. Advancement is dependent on subscription to the Koch brothers philosophies whose reputation as robber barons is well founded.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook around you, the training dollars you have spent are being enjoyed by future employers.

Challenging at times, sometimes hard to get team collaboration

Health and Safety (Current Employee) Corpus Christi, TX

ProsGood Pay and benefits, along with job security

Conschallenging to increase awareness and provide a culture change

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Systems Analyst

Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Wichita, KS

ProsAwesome culture, very supportive administration, good salary and benefits. Coworkers are respectful and encouraging. The Hiring process was a bit intimidating but offer was more than I asked. FHR has made great progress with numerous awards for employee and environmental safety. These are stringently enforced to make a great workplace.

ConsSeems like a large percentage of time is used to placate multiple government agencies with duplicated and occasionally contradictory regulations in the most heavily regulated of industries. FHR somehow manages to do it, albeit at great expense.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work, especially with cleaner ethanol and bio-diesel production.

BE CAREFUL

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Wichita, KS

ProsThe pay and benefits were good. I do believe there were other advancement opportunities if you wanted to go forward.

ConsThe company promotes its political agenda. With them doing this they are very scared of any government agency and very guarded on who and what can be said to a government official. If you are brought up in this company from the start of your career this may be okay. Someone coming in from the outside that has had experience dealing with government officials and handling items that were not so structured in dealing with government agencies can be very frustrating.

They have a very flat management style that can result in decisions not being made in a timely fashion. It can take weeks to make a decision on an issue. Individuals in key management positions are scared of change. They do not want to hear an outside opinion even though it is part of their MBM principles.

The management has a very threatening demeanor and try to manage with intimidation and fear. They have a significant history of terminating people with the response of "your no longer a culture fit with the company". I think this is very standard response from the HR and law department. They usually will give you a large sum of separation package to make you go away and not sue them. This is how they continue to get away with this type of practice and also they consider it as doing a part of business.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think Charles Koch and his key management need to look at their mid-level managers and understand that they always do not follow the MBM principles that are put in place, are afraid to make decisions or risks that will make them look bad. They also need to understand that some of their manager mange with micromanagement, fear and intimidation. If this is the route they want to continue on then I guess that is their choice.

Great company to work for. Company has a clear vision and positive about the future

ProsWell-managed company. Very pleasant people to work with, great atmosphere

ConsDon't have any thing negative to post at this time.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoing great. keep up the good work!

Worked for Flint Hills? Contribute to the Community!