Flint Hills

Updated November 25, 2014
Updated November 25, 2014
3.3

Brad Razook

Excellent pay and room for advancement

Current Employee - Operations Technician in Shell Rock, IA
    Current Employee - Operations Technician in Shell Rock, IA

I have been working at Flint Hills full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can work as much overtime as you want and can advance as much as you want with some effort

Cons

The schedule is a little hard to adjust to. Lots of turnover

Seem to be on the right track but constant change in management

Experience within the Terminals Group over 11-plus years

Former Employee - Administrative in Rosemount, MN
    Former Employee - Administrative in Rosemount, MN

I worked at Flint Hills full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

As a subsidiary of Koch Industries Int'l, Flint Hills Resources follows the Market-Based-Management model from Charles Koch. Safety and compliance are emphasized, and the expectation is that all employees will comply with all regulations and polices - 10,000% compliance (100% of the employees x 100% of the time). Understanding this, the employee can know that if an issue of safety or compliance arises, it will have paramount attention.

Cons

The Terminals Group may not represent all of Flint Hills Resources, so my experience may be colored by the group. Management was quite separate from the operator/employee level, giving the impression of an "old-boys group" in supervisory positions. The requirement of a supervisor's approval of any application for another position leaves the employee at the mercy of the supervisor's whim - if the supervisor deems it "inconvenient," the employee has no recourse to advance. This keeps many a qualified and capable employee squandering their career in favor of a supervisor's capriciousness.

Although there is a drive to increase the supervisors' effectiveness through the Leadership Forum, management needs to recognize the current substantial turnover is an indictment of their policies and practices. No longer can management rely on an economy where jobs are scarce and the alternatives are few and far between. Recognizing contributions beyond job descriptions, more than the quarterly Significant Contribution award, may help job satisfaction and employee retention.

Great place to work for a a local kid not seeking a degree. Great pay for operators.

Former Employee - Laboratory Technician
    Former Employee - Laboratory Technician

I worked at Flint Hills as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

As much overtime and work that you would ever want. Definitely apply to be an operator. Any competent human can do really well in their position and no degree required.

Cons

The lab is not valued by the company and even after a couple years the money just doesn't make sense. Hardly any progression unless you become an operator. Supervisor was way overworked and manager didn't seem to know any techniques or troubleshooting methods. Most employees were fine individuals.

Pay your employees!

Too many politics

Former Employee - Operator in Corpus Christi, TX
    Former Employee - Operator in Corpus Christi, TX

I worked at Flint Hills full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good salary, the BP schedule is nice and a few nice, hard working individuals.

Cons

Too many politics. If your not in the right circle, watch out. I saw people get fired for nothing while others that do nothing get rewarded. Also, overtime is expected in any refinery, but at this plant expect anywhere between 600-2000 hours. Divorce rate here is very high.

Practice what you preach. The company has its core values yet management only practices them when it is in their best interest.

Laboratory Technician

Former Employee - Laboratory Technician in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Laboratory Technician in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Flint Hills as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Free meals on a weekly basis, decent pay, good training, nice direct management and very friendly, easy going co-workers.

Cons

I used to temp but it was really hard to get hired on. They would simply not respond to jobs I applied to. When they finally did, it took them 6 months after my assignment ended to even call me for an interview through the company. They did offer me a lucrative position, but it was a rotating schedule that would have been very had to adjust to, so I had to pass. By the time they called me I had also moved on. The people in charge of the hiring process take their sweet time (i.e., there's always somebody on vacation). Meanwhile I'm unemployed and without money at the end of my rope waiting for them, and if I find another permanent job I gotta leave it to go with them. Overall, it was frustrating to invest 2 years of seasonal work for them just to be offered what seemed like a position nobody else wanted. I would be careful with the amount of time you invest with this company, since your efforts may not be valued

Speed up the interview and hiring process. People can't wait forever.

Highly structured IT Dept

Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Wichita, KS

I worked at Flint Hills full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great job opportunities. A company that really cares about its employees. Good people with positive attitudes. Great pay and benefits. A company you can make a career with. Solid belief about moving forward and embracing new technologies. Highly interested and supportive of training opportunities.

Cons

IT Dept is highly structured; therefore, there are lots process and procedures 'hoops' to jump through. Projects and demand are highly backlogged. Located in Wichita, KS.

Management is doing a great job of encouraging employees to find the perfect fit/position in the company.

Very satisfied

Current Employee - Reliability Engineer in Pine Bend, Dakota, MN
    Current Employee - Reliability Engineer in Pine Bend, Dakota, MN

I have been working at Flint Hills full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you're aligned with free market ideals, you're aligned with the Koch Industries management philosophy. Plus, the company is expanding at an incredible and exciting rate. The opportunities for a competent employee are nearly limitless.

Cons

If your plant or company is not performing well or has low potential for success, Koch Industries will not hesitate to cut their losses.

At the plant level, the work/life balance could be improved in some positions.

Some good professionals but a very poor culture in Port Arthur

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Port Arthur, TX
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Port Arthur, TX

I worked at Flint Hills full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, very busy, learn on the job fast, plenty to do, company is growing fast, good principles, has lots of potential and future with the right attitudes.

Cons

Poor safety, work ethic, and team culture. Hourly-Bad entitlement culture. Very spoiled. Complain about the type of meal they receive from mgmt for meetings/recognition. Front line and mid level Salary – Lots of silo’s due to workload. Very lean for amount of task, expectations, and level of responsibilities. Very poor job leading safety efforts and changing safety culture from huntsman era. Not supporting safety and environmental groups and principle. Senior Leadership is mixed – Reliability, Enviro, and Safety Managers are young, aggressive, and outstanding leaders. They are very good with others and follow company principles. Other senior managers do not follow these principles and bad ethics.

Have your Reliability, Enviro, and Safety Managers lead the way. Have them pull in the others to follow our company profile and make front line improve their enviro/safety culture. Don’t tolerate insubordination and disrespect from hourly.

Cult-like management and hush-hush ways of conducting business

Former Employee - Safety Department in Rosemount, MN
    Former Employee - Safety Department in Rosemount, MN

I worked at Flint Hills full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay can be quite lucrative if you are able to ask a high price tag upon entry into the company. Many of the union operators make very good money ($150,000+yearly) however, they work a lot of overtime during turnarounds. Those that have been there a long time within management (7+ years) can make $100,000+ quite easily as well.

Work week is 40 hours most of the time, unless during turnaround (roughly two months out of the year), and depending on your role, may be 70 hours per week or more (salary employee).

Sign on bonus. Can vary with what you negotiate.

401K and also a pension plan with five years working for the company.

Company will help pay for certifications and trainings within your field of expertise. There is room for advancement, not so much at the Pine Bend facility, but at any of the other numerous Koch owned facilities across the world if you are willing to move.

Job security is pretty good here, as long as you don't ask many questions and go with the brainwashing they try to instill in you. If you like to change the status quo, or don't necessarily agree with big business not being able to influence the government elections and have an inquisitive mind, then you will soon find out that this is not the job for you. If you like to sit around and watch the world go by, then this is the job for you!

Cons

Most of the infrastructure in this corporation is redundant and there are multiple people to take care of job duties that could (in most cases) be done by only a few. For instance, there were nearly 40 people within the safety department conducting a number of jobs that I had myself (along with three other safety personnel), had successfully undertook in a previous employment. This forced my position to be too specialized and me wanting to have more responsibility, but could not have in fear of taking someone else's job in the process (and somebody who had been there for longer assuredly).

My manager was very inexperienced in subordinate relationships , cocky towards me, a gigantic suck-up, and overall very poor at managing other effectively without extreme micro-managing. I felt very "watched" and that if I had any new ideas or brought other previous experiences from previous employers into conversation that I was met with extreme skepticism. I felt that my voice was not heard very well at all. Im not saying this to be true of all managers, as I know that there are many there who are much better, but this was my experience. There was a definite disconnect between my upper management in my department and the lower subordinates. Upper management was not aware of issues as they were kept so busy with other things that were completely out of their lower management's realm of operations.

The guiding principles, written by Charles Koch himself, called the "MBM" principles, are a cleverly worded string of training classes and living-doctrine bible that you will be EXPECTED to practice and preach (even in your life outside of work I felt) if you are to be successful within the company. I had the impression that since I made the mistake of voicing my particular opinion on not 100% agreeing with these guiding principles that I was blacklisted by both management and even HR. While many of the principles are good business practice, they cleverly input free-market society propoganda into the teachings, as well as just giving me an overall "cult feel".

I have seen employees let go and the only explanation is that they "didn't match with the guiding principles of the company". Very hush hush about these types of things and most people in the refinery do not feel that they can actively voice their opinion without possibly raising the eyebrow of Big Brother.

Flint Hills is definitely not a leader in safety as they are not on the cutting edge and are more of a lagger. They prefer to do things "as they've always been done before" with it being extremely difficult to drive change from a lower position within the company. I have seen my safety recommendations (being a part of the safety department) only come to fruition after MONTHS of my initial recommendation and only after someone from upper management "thought" of the same thing; or worse yet, there was an accident stemming from the very issue I had brought up to try and correct. A very REACTIVE company rather than PROACTIVE overall. Even within their own sister-sites (Texas and Alaska) there is VERY little collaboration on what is being done within their organization to improve safety; they are effectively "in the dark" of what each other is doing to protect workers. Literally, 100% tie- off for fall protection above 4 feet only became mandatory less than FOUR YEARS ago. Insane.

Bonuses are less than I was promised upon hire, as well that my salary was less than what other entry-level professionals made within the company. Received 6% of salary as performance bonus for the year, but was very very heavily taxed (40%). Also received a small bonus for working 12 hour days for two months as an "appreciation" bonus (although, if I were hourly, my billed time would have been over twice as much for the same period). Once again, this was heavily taxed as well.

This, partly due to my fault, is because I assumed I could get into the company at a fairly cheap salary and ask for a raise within the first year as I expected them to value me. Unfortunately, this did not happen, and my attempt to receive an accurate and fair raise to match what others with my same skill-set and experience (M.S. degree and other safety certifications) was met with denial and almost a berating of the good qualities and accomplishments that I did show the company. Along with this, I was hired for a specific job with specific job descriptions and spent nearly a YEAR doing my managers previous job (as he was promoted), of which, nearly all of the responsibilities were not conveyed to me during my hire or interview process. My job duties were NOT what I was told I would be doing before my hire to the extent that I was actually performing a higher-salary job function for a much cheaper salary. I was told repeatedly that my original job description duties would be allocated to me eventually, to "hold on", but it took literally one whole year to do what I was originally told I would be hired to do.

Overall, I saw a lot of unhappy people here who were mostly there for the money and the fact that, for the most part, it was not a challenging job other than possibly working a lot of hours. There was an overall poor safety culture and the relationship between operators/contractors and office management was literally non-existant; as in operations basically did what they want and, at least the safety management (for the most part), went along with whatever it took to satisfy the operations side of the refinery.

Overhaul the "old school" mentality and make sure that new innovative ideas are heard and considered. Do research to match or exceed other peers within the oil and gas business. Trim the middle management and re-evaluate the effectiveness of the safety program.

Working for Flint Hills - Don't

Former Employee - Health and Safety
    Former Employee - Health and Safety

I worked at Flint Hills full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flint Hills is part of the KOCH Industries family of companies. While competitive in compensation adjustments (increases) are few and far between. As part of a larger group of companies resources were always available (more help then you ever needed or wanted).

Cons

Senior management is comprised of a select group of yes people who have chosen to drink the Kool Ade. Advancement is dependent on subscription to the Koch brothers philosophies whose reputation as robber barons is well founded.

Look around you, the training dollars you have spent are being enjoyed by future employers.