FlipKey Reviews

Updated July 25, 2014
Updated July 25, 2014
2.0

CEO

Great co-workers, poor management, no growth potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at FlipKey full-time

Pros

The people who work at FlipKey are pretty much the only thing that make the company a tolerable place to be. These are mostly dedicated, hard-working and flat-out nice people, many of whom have been with the company since before the TripAdvisor purchase, who are hanging on due to an old sense of loyalty and / or stock option hopes.

The company provides good comp and benefits, and there are snacks in the kitchen, both of which are things you'll find most anywhere these days. Work-life balance is also fair, possibly better than average.

Cons

Senior management has a negative and condescending attitude toward the vast majority of employees. Recognition and thanks are foreign concepts, which has resulted in incredibly low morale and a high turnover rate. There is zero potential for advancement or growth in any department, and employees have become used to the idea that keeping their heads down and doing what they're told is the only option. Creativity and innovation are non-existent.

Notice how unhappy people are, and do something about it. Give credit when credit is due, and appreciate the people who are actually making the company run on a daily basis. Try an attitude of trust, respect and positivity, rather than constant criticism and negativity. Let employees contribute ideas and help shape the direction of the company, rather than just following orders like robots.

DO NOT WORK HERE!

Current Employee - Client Services Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Client Services Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at FlipKey full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

the ONLY pros about working here are the decent benefits, the lack of dress code, and the mediocre snacks/kegs in the kitchen. These “pros” may sound inviting at first glance, but the snacks/dress code is now standard across tech companies/startups, so this is nothing to be wowed over.

Cons

Where to start… TripAdvisor fully bought us out at the end of 2013, and I can’t stress enough how awful this place has become.

1. Management: The complete management change from the TripAdvisor buy out is really what has driven this place into the ground. To start, nearly all of the original FlipKey management has either been forced out, or quit on their own, which has resulted in TripAdvisor robots filling all of the open management roles (as there is zero opportunity for growth and advancement from within). Rather than being judged on the quality of our work and the happiness/satisfaction of our clients, we are only graded on metrics. The only thing that matters is how many emails we send per day, how many cases we close, how many calls we make, etc. My hours are 9 am – 6 pm, but we are looked down upon if we don’t come in early and stay late (although we don’t get paid overtime). My manager requires me to be at my desk at all hours of the day, aside from lunch. If I step out to make a phone call or run to CVS across the street, I have to let her know. She reads through my emails to clients and will proceed to make corrections, and send me her updated versions to point out what I need to improve on, or how I could have phrased something better. Weekly check-ins have recently been implemented to go over every hour of my day, and to figure out how I can improve/how I can accomplish more. It doesn’t matter how hard I work or how well I do, I’ve never received praise or compliments, only told (in a rude, condescending, negative tone or email) I need to work harder and longer. Additionally, the clients are frustrated and unhappy with the TripAdvisor management change, so any client facing roles here at FlipKey are brutal as the clients are frustrated, upset, and downright mad.

2. Culture: Yes, there are snacks, kegs, and a ping pong table, but these “startup environment perks” do not make up for the terrible morale and high turnover rate. The far and few existing FlipKey employees are really the only good people left.

3. Pay: the pay is HORRIBLE – equally as horrible as management. Pay is significantly lower than similar roles at other companies, and annual raises barely exist, resulting in lack of future earning ability as well.

4. Room for growth and advancement: none whatsoever, in any department. FlipKey has zero interest in helping their current employees grow and develop (especially since the TripAdvisor takeover) and instead, hires externally for nearly all open positions. I’ve tried multiple times over the past 3 years to take on new projects and learn more about various fields of the business, but I have been denied with every attempt. The worst part about this is that management is well aware that this is a major issue, but chooses to do nothing about it. The only way to survive here is to keep your head down and do exactly as you’re told.

Try caring about your employees for a change, and treat us like human beings rather than slaves. Stop trying to break us down, and instead, work on building us up. It couldn’t be more obvious how unhappy everyone is, so do something about it.

Great people to work with, not so much to work for

I have been working at FlipKey full-time

Pros

Great people to work with
    Ping pong table, 2 kegs, free snacks
    Great benefits
    Standing desks
    OK pay

Cons

Management since TripAdvisor take over is pretty bad. They forget they have people working for them, not robots.
    Virtually no advancement, growth, or learning opportunities.
    No innovation, just trying to copy other vacation rental companies

Treat people as people, not resources. Innovate. Use people's skills and let them lead rather than bossing them around all day. Treat employees with respect, instead of publicly criticizing them.

Customer Care Department is a joke

Former Employee - Inbound Customer Care in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Inbound Customer Care in Boston, MA

I worked at FlipKey full-time

Pros

The people here genuinely want to help, contribute, and be a part of something great.

Cons

I am not sure who makes the decisions here, but every single one is disappointing. It's hard to tell whether we support the owner, traveler or neither. The changes being pushed out benefit neither. New employees are overqualified and hired under false pretenses. Current employees are dragged through the mud. Employees who used to enjoy their active assistance roles have been reduced to robotic disappointment machines. FlipKey certainly does not support the employee. We are not fooled by kegs in the kitchen, we deserve respect and the opportunity to take pride in our work.

Please recognize that the way you treat your customers will make or break you. Consumers are fickle. They are emotional and they are unforgiving. Customer care is very important they are the direct link to the customer and the ambassador for the company. Please acknowledge the incredible team you have and recognize their gifts. What is occurring currently is disrespectful. It has been recently said by a member of higher management that if the team is unhappy, then it is a possibly that these individuals are in the wrong industry. This could not be more false. The current team is empathetic, patient, intelligent and driven . I desperately hope someone sees the benefit in this soon.

Amazing people, incredible benefits, terrible job.

Former Employee - Customer Care Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Customer Care Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at FlipKey full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are amazing. I wouldn't have stayed for as long as I did if it weren't for the friends I made at this company. Seriously, they're smart, funny, and incredibly fun. The culture took a big hit when the company was bought out by TripAdvisor and management was replaced, but it's still an inviting and energetic culture. And the benefits are crazy unbeatable.

Cons

Underpaid, overworked, and absolutely no opportunity for growth. Some of this was just the nature of the job and the growth of the company. The user base of the company got bigger and TripAdvisor wanted to make up for the sale, so what resulted was an understaffed department getting demoted to nightly and weekend shifts, *suggested* overtime (with a lack of fair compensation), and general commiseration. But like I said, this is customer service, so you're already dealing with unpleasant people--and don't kid yourself, these are unpleasant people on the phone. Lost my faith in humanity on multiple occasions because of these people screaming into my ear all hours of the day.

The biggest con though was the lack of opportunity. This was supposed to be a foot in the door type of job, and the people I worked with were also all overqualified. But because of the shift in the company's direction, everyone got stuck there, and will likely remain stuck until they up and leave. They'll give you "projects" and you'll feel like you're contributing for a while, and you'll get some recognition for the great work you do, but then you'll realize you're just taking on extra work and not getting paid for it because raises are a laugh and bonuses are a joke.

My own managers were excellent, so this would be for upper management: have a little empathy. If you plan on outsourcing, then outsource, but don't "big-business" this department and squeeze out as much work as you can until you force everyone to quit. Oh, and to a particularly higher management figure, I don't recommend announcing loudly to the employees in customer service that you "just don't give a sh*t about customers" over and over.

Good company with no direction

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at FlipKey full-time

Pros

Everyone here at FlipKey is fun to work with. I work on the engineering team and everyone gets along. Younger engineers are guided by the senior engineers. Everyone is knowledgable and willing to help. The benefits we get from being part of TripAdvisor are solid. Great office culture.

Cons

Salaries are average and not tied to performance. There is no recognition when someone goes above and beyond. There is 0 direction from management. The avenue for career advancement is narrow if it exists at all. Lately we just follow our competitors with no focus on innovation.

Horrible management & ZERO opportunity for growth

Former Employee - Customer Care Associate
    Former Employee - Customer Care Associate

I worked at FlipKey full-time

Pros

Beer and ping pong but that's about it. Any company you work for these days will have both, don't worry.

Cons

There is no transparency, and absolutely no room for growth. Management is nonexistent. There is a glass ceiling above your head at all times boldly preventing you from moving on and upwards. The people who work hard and add value get nothing in return. They take advantage of your work ethic and will use you until you finally decide to go elsewhere.

The key to being a successful manager is to not only care about the company's end goal but the people who dedicate themselves to it day in and day out. Make time for your people and their well being. Take the extra few minutes out of your busy day to actually thank the people who do extra work to benefit the company and compensate the ones who act as the glue that holds a department together. Before you know it all your good people will be gone (on to bigger and better opportunities where they will be encouraged to grow!) and all you'll have is your own egos to micro manage.

OK culture with a lack of opportunities for improvement and growth

Current Employee - Software Developer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Boston, MA

I have been working at FlipKey full-time

Pros

There is a relaxed dress code, beer, and ping pong. And all of those thngs seemed great during my initial interview. But these things are standard these days at technical companies, After my first 3 months i was no longer wowed.

Cons

Pay raises are minimmal at best and provide lack of future earning ability.
    Employees seem to get pigeon holed into tasks with little to no opportunity to grow out of them or pursue new interests. This also makes advancement extremely difficult, most emplyees have to leave to grow in their careers.
    Lack any sort of mission or vision, feels like we want to be tripadvisor but are far from it.

Work to create a culture of growth where people are rewarded for their accomplishments. It can be frustrating to see people's sucesses not recognised or celebrated. Beers and Happy hours are common place these days and not a unique quality. Also don't pigeon hole people in the same roles after they start and prove themsleves.

Good place for a junior engineer

Former Employee - Software Developer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Boston, MA

I worked at FlipKey full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Engineering team is good to work with. No prima donnas. Everyone gets along. Good pay. Relaxed environment.

Cons

Management seems to suffer from a significant lack of vision. Vacation rentals is the step-child of TripAdvisor business. No real projects to work on. You will be working on a whole lot of smallish maintenance type projects.

Don't let the Facade Fool You

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at FlipKey full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flipkey has a nice very professional looking office, the people there are all very friendly and intelligent, and there are free snacks.

Cons

Flipkey itself is not the most trustworthy company. With this company if something is not written in your contract DO NOT expect to get it. Management has no problem making promises, and failing to keep them, after the TripAdvisor takeover advancement within the company is unheard of, and raises barely exist.

Make sure a manager is the best person for the job not just the most senior person at the company.