FlipKey

Updated December 12, 2014
2.2

CEO

Great Coworkers, Great Location, Fun Environment

I have been working at FlipKey full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Great opportunities to learn new skills
    - Friendly, knowledgeable coworkers who want to support you
    - Fast paced environment that is geared around learning and serving our customers
    - Great salary, benefits, and retirement plan
    - If you're sick or need some flexibility from time to time it's not an issue
    - No one expects you to live at work. If there is a major issue we rally together to fix it but that is the exception-not the rule.

Cons

If you aren't a self starter and aren't sufficiently motivated then it can be a challenge to get ahead. That's probably true anywhere but it's worth mentioning that this isn't a great place to be only partially engaged with what you're doing.

Don't be misled by the bad reviews- people mainly write reviews here when they're unhappy, not loving the company

Current Employee - Customer Care Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Care Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at FlipKey full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I may be biased, but I think that the employees at FlipKey are some of the greatest people that you could work with. Intelligent, outgoing, fun... the list goes on and on. To go along with the fantastic coworkers, the work environment/benefits are comparable to Google, in that you'll be challenged to find a company with better ones. Full health, dental, vision, 401K, travel reimbursement, commuting reimbursement, fitness reimbursement. A brand new office in the north end right next to the Garden, where we usually get emails about ticket deals for games. In the office we have hot, catered lunch provided a minimum of 2 times a week, and breakfast every other Friday. That's not to say that you couldn't create a meal out of all of the snacks in the office. A full pantry, multiple coffee machines, 2 kegs, a wine bar, etc etc.

Lots of vacation time & holidays and they encourage you to use your sick days. Managers listen to your problems and actually care about you & your well-being. Very flexible, approachable & willing to help at all times

Cons

If you're not the type to speak up for yourself, this is probably not the place for you. We're all adults here and no one's going to baby you or be a mind-reader if you're unhappy. Keeping those negative feelings bottled up until you end up quitting isn't benefiting anyone. My manager is great and any time I've ever had a problem it's been resolved by talking it out.

Customer service is a difficult position to be in no matter where you work, and you're always going to be dealing with people who are unhappy. That seems to be more of a reflection on the position itself and not related to the company necessarily.

Make sure you know what you're getting into

I worked at FlipKey

Pros

Very friendly people, with the exception of a few individuals at the senior management level
    Good soft benefits

Cons

Micromanagement - some individuals at the senior management have a tendency to manage by treating employees as robots, and dictating how they should do technical aspects of their job - an area that they know very little or nothing about. Senior management needs to understand when and why employees become unhappy, and how this leads to lower work efficiency. Nobody will think lesser of you if you understand your competencies and stick to them instead of preaching to others how they should be doing work and managing their time.

No real direction - During my time at FlipKey, the ideas used to improve the website all had a neutral outlook at best (if not bad for the business). Seems like most of the changes made are either through trial and error or by copying competitors. If the business stays reactive to the market, then there is really no reason that the firm should grow. The only reason the firm is still doing alright is because they are riding the "Vacation Rental" market wave. Once this space becomes saturated, I do hope that good innovations have been made so that they can still command a share in the market - for the sake of its employees.

Not caring about the end customers - most of the 'impactful' decisions made were to nickel-and-dime the home owners and the travelers. If this is the best that the firm can think of to improve revenue, then there is a serious problem with long term planning or understanding of value and what customers appreciate. Its tough to work for a company when you have little to no faith in the value of the product or its potential to grow anymore.

Employee attrition - most of the employees that understood the business well (founders, people who were very close to the Vaction Home Rental industry) have left, and many other employees left the company in hordes because of senior management. Everyone who has left felt unappreciated, which is somewhat of an understatement. This is primarily due to the employees that have populated the ranks since the TripAdvisor takeover. The company still has a flat structure from its startup days, but is anything but startup-like anymore.

Try to understand what motivates your employees, and improve their happiness. Micromanagement is one of the most ineffective ways of management, and should ideally be discarded from the company culture altogether. If you want the firm to be successful after the market saturates, make sure you understand your employees and end customers. The numbers in which people are leaving the company is a big indicator that management is being ineffective at something - understand that and try to fix it.

Flipkey Where Souls go to Die

I have been working at FlipKey

Pros

Everyone is very skilled, most employees are nice, and the company is not in danger of going under.

Cons

The Flipkey culture is one of the worst in the industry. There are perks, but most are just for show. Management is at best incompetent from the CTO on down, and some of the older senior employees think workplace harassment is the norm.

Go back to non management positions

DO NOT WORK HERE!

Current Employee - Client Services Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Client Services Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at FlipKey full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

the ONLY pros about working here are the decent benefits, the lack of dress code, and the mediocre snacks/kegs in the kitchen. These “pros” may sound inviting at first glance, but the snacks/dress code is now standard across tech companies/startups, so this is nothing to be wowed over.

Cons

Where to start… TripAdvisor fully bought us out at the end of 2013, and I can’t stress enough how awful this place has become.

1. Management: The complete management change from the TripAdvisor buy out is really what has driven this place into the ground. To start, nearly all of the original FlipKey management has either been forced out, or quit on their own, which has resulted in TripAdvisor robots filling all of the open management roles (as there is zero opportunity for growth and advancement from within). Rather than being judged on the quality of our work and the happiness/satisfaction of our clients, we are only graded on metrics. The only thing that matters is how many emails we send per day, how many cases we close, how many calls we make, etc. My hours are 9 am – 6 pm, but we are looked down upon if we don’t come in early and stay late (although we don’t get paid overtime). My manager requires me to be at my desk at all hours of the day, aside from lunch. If I step out to make a phone call or run to CVS across the street, I have to let her know. She reads through my emails to clients and will proceed to make corrections, and send me her updated versions to point out what I need to improve on, or how I could have phrased something better. Weekly check-ins have recently been implemented to go over every hour of my day, and to figure out how I can improve/how I can accomplish more. It doesn’t matter how hard I work or how well I do, I’ve never received praise or compliments, only told (in a rude, condescending, negative tone or email) I need to work harder and longer. Additionally, the clients are frustrated and unhappy with the TripAdvisor management change, so any client facing roles here at FlipKey are brutal as the clients are frustrated, upset, and downright mad.

2. Culture: Yes, there are snacks, kegs, and a ping pong table, but these “startup environment perks” do not make up for the terrible morale and high turnover rate. The far and few existing FlipKey employees are really the only good people left.

3. Pay: the pay is HORRIBLE – equally as horrible as management. Pay is significantly lower than similar roles at other companies, and annual raises barely exist, resulting in lack of future earning ability as well.

4. Room for growth and advancement: none whatsoever, in any department. FlipKey has zero interest in helping their current employees grow and develop (especially since the TripAdvisor takeover) and instead, hires externally for nearly all open positions. I’ve tried multiple times over the past 3 years to take on new projects and learn more about various fields of the business, but I have been denied with every attempt. The worst part about this is that management is well aware that this is a major issue, but chooses to do nothing about it. The only way to survive here is to keep your head down and do exactly as you’re told.

Try caring about your employees for a change, and treat us like human beings rather than slaves. Stop trying to break us down, and instead, work on building us up. It couldn’t be more obvious how unhappy everyone is, so do something about it.

Customer Care Department is a joke

Former Employee - Inbound Customer Care in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Inbound Customer Care in Boston, MA

I worked at FlipKey full-time

Pros

The people here genuinely want to help, contribute, and be a part of something great.

Cons

I am not sure who makes the decisions here, but every single one is disappointing. It's hard to tell whether we support the owner, traveler or neither. The changes being pushed out benefit neither. New employees are overqualified and hired under false pretenses. Current employees are dragged through the mud. Employees who used to enjoy their active assistance roles have been reduced to robotic disappointment machines. FlipKey certainly does not support the employee. We are not fooled by kegs in the kitchen, we deserve respect and the opportunity to take pride in our work.

Please recognize that the way you treat your customers will make or break you. Consumers are fickle. They are emotional and they are unforgiving. Customer care is very important they are the direct link to the customer and the ambassador for the company. Please acknowledge the incredible team you have and recognize their gifts. What is occurring currently is disrespectful. It has been recently said by a member of higher management that if the team is unhappy, then it is a possibly that these individuals are in the wrong industry. This could not be more false. The current team is empathetic, patient, intelligent and driven . I desperately hope someone sees the benefit in this soon.

Great co-workers, poor management, no growth potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at FlipKey full-time

Pros

The people who work at FlipKey are pretty much the only thing that make the company a tolerable place to be. These are mostly dedicated, hard-working and flat-out nice people, many of whom have been with the company since before the TripAdvisor purchase, who are hanging on due to an old sense of loyalty and / or stock option hopes.

The company provides good comp and benefits, and there are snacks in the kitchen, both of which are things you'll find most anywhere these days. Work-life balance is also fair, possibly better than average.

Cons

Senior management has a negative and condescending attitude toward the vast majority of employees. Recognition and thanks are foreign concepts, which has resulted in incredibly low morale and a high turnover rate. There is zero potential for advancement or growth in any department, and employees have become used to the idea that keeping their heads down and doing what they're told is the only option. Creativity and innovation are non-existent.

Notice how unhappy people are, and do something about it. Give credit when credit is due, and appreciate the people who are actually making the company run on a daily basis. Try an attitude of trust, respect and positivity, rather than constant criticism and negativity. Let employees contribute ideas and help shape the direction of the company, rather than just following orders like robots.

Great people to work with, not so much to work for

I have been working at FlipKey full-time

Pros

Great people to work with
    Ping pong table, 2 kegs, free snacks
    Great benefits
    Standing desks
    OK pay

Cons

Management since TripAdvisor take over is pretty bad. They forget they have people working for them, not robots.
    Virtually no advancement, growth, or learning opportunities.
    No innovation, just trying to copy other vacation rental companies

Treat people as people, not resources. Innovate. Use people's skills and let them lead rather than bossing them around all day. Treat employees with respect, instead of publicly criticizing them.

Amazing people, incredible benefits, terrible job.

Former Employee - Customer Care Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Customer Care Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at FlipKey full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are amazing. I wouldn't have stayed for as long as I did if it weren't for the friends I made at this company. Seriously, they're smart, funny, and incredibly fun. The culture took a big hit when the company was bought out by TripAdvisor and management was replaced, but it's still an inviting and energetic culture. And the benefits are crazy unbeatable.

Cons

Underpaid, overworked, and absolutely no opportunity for growth. Some of this was just the nature of the job and the growth of the company. The user base of the company got bigger and TripAdvisor wanted to make up for the sale, so what resulted was an understaffed department getting demoted to nightly and weekend shifts, *suggested* overtime (with a lack of fair compensation), and general commiseration. But like I said, this is customer service, so you're already dealing with unpleasant people--and don't kid yourself, these are unpleasant people on the phone. Lost my faith in humanity on multiple occasions because of these people screaming into my ear all hours of the day.

The biggest con though was the lack of opportunity. This was supposed to be a foot in the door type of job, and the people I worked with were also all overqualified. But because of the shift in the company's direction, everyone got stuck there, and will likely remain stuck until they up and leave. They'll give you "projects" and you'll feel like you're contributing for a while, and you'll get some recognition for the great work you do, but then you'll realize you're just taking on extra work and not getting paid for it because raises are a laugh and bonuses are a joke.

My own managers were excellent, so this would be for upper management: have a little empathy. If you plan on outsourcing, then outsource, but don't "big-business" this department and squeeze out as much work as you can until you force everyone to quit. Oh, and to a particularly higher management figure, I don't recommend announcing loudly to the employees in customer service that you "just don't give a sh*t about customers" over and over.

Good company with no direction

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at FlipKey full-time

Pros

Everyone here at FlipKey is fun to work with. I work on the engineering team and everyone gets along. Younger engineers are guided by the senior engineers. Everyone is knowledgable and willing to help. The benefits we get from being part of TripAdvisor are solid. Great office culture.

Cons

Salaries are average and not tied to performance. There is no recognition when someone goes above and beyond. There is 0 direction from management. The avenue for career advancement is narrow if it exists at all. Lately we just follow our competitors with no focus on innovation.