Flite Reviews

3.8

Giles Goodwin

Love working here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Flite full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone really cares about each other
    The company really cares about everyone's wellbeing and personal growth
    It's easy to make a big difference in the company
    The atmosphere is laid back, but productive
    Smart people working together to make ads better

Cons

Company is still in its infancy so there are still a lot of things to be worked out, often leaving employees slightly directionless

Fun Atmosphere, Big Egos/Low Stability

I worked at Flite full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free lunch on Tuesdays, relaxed environment and use as much as you need PTO.

Cons

Directors and leaders with big egos (don't expect half of them to even say hello to you when they walk past you), which is laughable when you realize how much trouble the company is in. Office culture talk a big game about feedback, but does not offer any to employees.

Give actual feedback to your employees. Change the culture - it's not ok for some people to "just be hard to work with".

Great people, decent benefits, still finding direction

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Flite full-time

Pros

Some really smart people in engineering.
    Good teamwork, good attitude.
    Does not tolerate incompetence.
    Dedication to employee's well-being.
    First-class web app is defines its category. No one else comes close.

Cons

Still finding their niche. A late-stage startup that has a good team but their strategy continues to shift.
    Turn-over has been high due to both dismissals for performance reasons and poaching; and lately, due to downsizing.

In addition to getting strategy right, morale is next biggest problem due to recent downsizing. Keep up morale of employees during turn-around.

Mixed bag

Former Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Flite full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Were willing to take a chance on hiring me in spite of inexact skills match. Lots of opportunity to learn new technology, good ability to actually take time off, good compensation, lots of attention to benefits.

Cons

Senior management's actions don't always match stated values, especially when it comes to transparency and promoting from within. Lack of feedback about things they wish were different.

You provided a lot of training about giving feedback. You should actually give the feedback!

Great company, going in the right direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Flite full-time

Pros

My work day to day is challenging and the people are great! Working in cross functional teams give a great overview of how all the pieces fit together. Big customers! Awesome location. Work-life balance is recommended with a "use what you need: pto plan. There is a good culture of transparency and fun. Lots of change regularly but sufficient prep and ability to adapt.

Cons

There has been multiple shifts in priorities and it's hard to stay aligned. Focusing on customer success will help.

Stay focused and work as a team.

Great, fun startup where your contributions can really make an impact!

I worked at Flite full-time (more than an year)

Pros

LOVED IT. I learned tremendously at this company, but like with any, you need to put in good work and earn respect of everyone across departments and in management positions. Most people are incredibly smart and always willing to help to make things happen. Because it is a start-up, there's a lot of opportunity for growth as long as you take initiative. Work / Life balance is your own to manage and very flexible. There's "as much as you need PTO" which essentially means you manage your work and time. Weekly Tuesday demos and catered lunches. HR does a great job with bringing in speakers on topics like Culture, Design, Health and opportunities to hear and listen to leaders in the industry for us to develop personally and professionally.

Cons

As mentioned in other reviews, some managers are notoriously difficult to work with but the company is actively working on training new and existing managers to grow with the company. Company also needs to focus and not change priorities too frequently.

Keep talking to your employees to get feedback and make it all a joint effort. Keep a laser focus on what is best path for the company given the history, strengths, and potential. Keep up the great work with culture, offsites, and celebrations.

Company on a solid trajectory, great culture, good people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Flite full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Smart, savvy, highly-talented team. Transparent and open management style. Honest company culture is fun and opinions are valued even if they sometimes dissent. Great, transformative product. Atmosphere is a unique balance of start-up innnovation and advertising savvy.

Cons

Open floor-plan helps with alignment, but noise is sometimes distracting. Rapid growth and product development sometimes means last-minute fire drills.

In all honesty--a great place to work--and I'm a female!

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Flite

Pros

The employees and culture at Flite were bar-none the best of any company that I have worked with. I made some great friends during my time at the company and found it to be a great working environment.

It's a fast-paced and intellectually challenging environment that's also very fun and creative.

The only reason why I left the company was due to the fact that I approached by another company with an opportunity that was impossible to pass up--but it was definitely a hard choice to leave Flite.

Cons

As a female employee who was with the company for two years, I can attest that there are not that many female employees at the company, BUT I always felt that my ideas and professional growth were encouraged by my male superiors. Also during my time at Flite, I got the sense that the company recognized there was a dearth of female employees and actively was working to recruit and promote females within the company, and went out of their way to ensure that female employees had opportunities for job growth.

Continue to invest in employees and retain the fun culture.

Perfect professional mix of opportunity, challenge, collaboration and FUN!

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Flite

Pros

A core expectation of all employees at Flite is to be a good citizen. And that makes a great company!
    There is a strong & individual sense of social responsibility. Everyone seems to be personally invested in contributing in a positive way. No single one of us can build a culture on our own. It feels great to be a part of such an inspired team. And it’s been that way from the beginning.
    The leadership team is genuine, passionate and very approachable. I’ve seen management invest equally in people, regardless of gender and we celebrate star efforts weekly during our full company product release & demos. If you move the bar on the company goals, you will be recognized and rewarded.

Our Culture Club (an x-team of employees representative of all business units) keeps a pulse on what is needed to keep this place rockin’ and annual independent and anonymous survey in Q1 2012 showed 84% overall company satisfaction.

Yoga at lunchtime and an endless supply of fruit are great perks, but ultimately, my work at Flite is rewarding because I have a group of leaders and peers pushing me to think, produce, grow and feel good about my contributions!

Cons

change via company growth can be complicated. There's no reason to pretend its got to stay the same to be great.

keep up the transparency, recognition and open door policies

Great, fun place to work

I have been working at Flite

Pros

As a whole, management really strives to make Flite a great place to work. Within the entire company there's plenty of very talented, creative, and intelligent people that are great to work with. HR seems to get that benefits are just OK, but is striving to make them better. The company also emphasizes the intangibles that make a great office: catered lunches once a week, quarterly team outings, a fully stocked kitchen, and quarterly hack days. The product is constantly evolving which makes working at Flite a fun challenge.
    The CEO is very approachable and open to concerns and feedback.

Cons

Employees in the non-Engineering groups have expressed some dissatisfaction with their management. Some managers' hiring practices seem suspect which would account for some of the turnover.

Keep the culture that made Flite great a priority and keep bringing in great people. Don't be afraid to remove people (at all levels) that aren't working out as long as they've been given a fair shot.

Flite Photos