Flite

www.flite.com

Flite Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated Jul 23, 2014
Flite – San Francisco – “Ad Innovation Speaker Series 2011”

Giles Goodwin

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Love working here

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsEveryone really cares about each other
    The company really cares about everyone's wellbeing and personal growth
    It's easy to make a big difference in the company
    The atmosphere is laid back, but productive
    Smart people working together to make ads better

ConsCompany is still in its infancy so there are still a lot of things to be worked out, often leaving employees slightly directionless

Great people, decent benefits, still finding direction

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsSome really smart people in engineering.
    Good teamwork, good attitude.
    Does not tolerate incompetence.
    Dedication to employee's well-being.
    First-class web app is defines its category. No one else comes close.

ConsStill finding their niche. A late-stage startup that has a good team but their strategy continues to shift.
    Turn-over has been high due to both dismissals for performance reasons and poaching; and lately, due to downsizing.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn addition to getting strategy right, morale is next biggest problem due to recent downsizing. Keep up morale of employees during turn-around.

Mixed bag

Engineer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsWere willing to take a chance on hiring me in spite of inexact skills match. Lots of opportunity to learn new technology, good ability to actually take time off, good compensation, lots of attention to benefits.

ConsSenior management's actions don't always match stated values, especially when it comes to transparency and promoting from within. Lack of feedback about things they wish were different.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou provided a lot of training about giving feedback. You should actually give the feedback!

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company, going in the right direction

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsMy work day to day is challenging and the people are great! Working in cross functional teams give a great overview of how all the pieces fit together. Big customers! Awesome location. Work-life balance is recommended with a "use what you need: pto plan. There is a good culture of transparency and fun. Lots of change regularly but sufficient prep and ability to adapt.

ConsThere has been multiple shifts in priorities and it's hard to stay aligned. Focusing on customer success will help.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay focused and work as a team.

Company on a solid trajectory, great culture, good people

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsSmart, savvy, highly-talented team. Transparent and open management style. Honest company culture is fun and opinions are valued even if they sometimes dissent. Great, transformative product. Atmosphere is a unique balance of start-up innnovation and advertising savvy.

ConsOpen floor-plan helps with alignment, but noise is sometimes distracting. Rapid growth and product development sometimes means last-minute fire drills.

In all honesty--a great place to work--and I'm a female!

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe employees and culture at Flite were bar-none the best of any company that I have worked with. I made some great friends during my time at the company and found it to be a great working environment.

It's a fast-paced and intellectually challenging environment that's also very fun and creative.

The only reason why I left the company was due to the fact that I approached by another company with an opportunity that was impossible to pass up--but it was definitely a hard choice to leave Flite.

ConsAs a female employee who was with the company for two years, I can attest that there are not that many female employees at the company, BUT I always felt that my ideas and professional growth were encouraged by my male superiors. Also during my time at Flite, I got the sense that the company recognized there was a dearth of female employees and actively was working to recruit and promote females within the company, and went out of their way to ensure that female employees had opportunities for job growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to invest in employees and retain the fun culture.

Perfect professional mix of opportunity, challenge, collaboration and FUN!

Director (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsA core expectation of all employees at Flite is to be a good citizen. And that makes a great company!
    There is a strong & individual sense of social responsibility. Everyone seems to be personally invested in contributing in a positive way. No single one of us can build a culture on our own. It feels great to be a part of such an inspired team. And it’s been that way from the beginning.
    The leadership team is genuine, passionate and very approachable. I’ve seen management invest equally in people, regardless of gender and we celebrate star efforts weekly during our full company product release & demos. If you move the bar on the company goals, you will be recognized and rewarded.

Our Culture Club (an x-team of employees representative of all business units) keeps a pulse on what is needed to keep this place rockin’ and annual independent and anonymous survey in Q1 2012 showed 84% overall company satisfaction.

Yoga at lunchtime and an endless supply of fruit are great perks, but ultimately, my work at Flite is rewarding because I have a group of leaders and peers pushing me to think, produce, grow and feel good about my contributions!

Conschange via company growth can be complicated. There's no reason to pretend its got to stay the same to be great.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the transparency, recognition and open door policies

Great, fun place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsAs a whole, management really strives to make Flite a great place to work. Within the entire company there's plenty of very talented, creative, and intelligent people that are great to work with. HR seems to get that benefits are just OK, but is striving to make them better. The company also emphasizes the intangibles that make a great office: catered lunches once a week, quarterly team outings, a fully stocked kitchen, and quarterly hack days. The product is constantly evolving which makes working at Flite a fun challenge.
    The CEO is very approachable and open to concerns and feedback.

ConsEmployees in the non-Engineering groups have expressed some dissatisfaction with their management. Some managers' hiring practices seem suspect which would account for some of the turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the culture that made Flite great a priority and keep bringing in great people. Don't be afraid to remove people (at all levels) that aren't working out as long as they've been given a fair shot.

Eager to hire, eager to fire

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe people who work there are friendly. Free lunch on Tuesday's. The CEO is very approachable.

ConsUpper management doesn't give a whole lot of feedback and their expectations aren't always shared. I agree with another poster - if you're opinionated (and female) they will most likely send you walking.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're flat out not doing your job. You need to listen to what your employees need.

"Good pay, no accountable VPs"

(Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThere are a lot of hard working people that care (but VPs don't listen), free food on Tuesday, good location, yoga at lunch, & Macbook/PC options

ConsSuck up to the VPs and you're golden! Disagree (especially if you're female) and goodbye. Engineers, AMs, Sales people, managers, directors be warned. Check the turnover on LinkedIn.

The people who do the work are not respected or appreciated. People are easily hired and fired. In the past couple months, there have been a dozen departures and there are only 60 people in the entire Co.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your customers. Listen to your employees.

Worked for Flite? Contribute to the Community!