Flixster

Updated Apr 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Joe Greenstein

Very top notch internship program

Software Engineering Intern (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsSeveral mentors who are very supportive in having you do projects you would like to do and helping with career advancement
    Get to watch movies before they are released!
    Stocked Kitchen (Free drinks, breakfast, snacks, coffee)
    Macbook Pro or Lenovo Thinkpad (+ RAM boost)
    CEO tried to get to know me--tried to get me interested in a full-time job
    Engineering Management paid lunch to talk with us
    Culture: breakfast, lunch paid on first and last days of internship
    Coworkers from Stanford, Harvard, MIT, UC Berkeley, etc.

ConsNo Zip Line
    I don't drink but my coworkers do
    Seriously, none that I can think of

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Great exposure to all the major platforms, super smart and friendly team, and rewarding to those with initiative.

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat dynamic between the members of the team, with no drama. The experienced seniors impart wisdom and mentorship, but the juniors drive innovation and challenge the status quo (seniors do that too!).

Any single employee with initiative, no matter how junior, has the power to make their work environment better, whether its switching to the best new development tools, improving on coding best practices or agile processes, or even just brewing some yummy beer for the team. Initiative and ownership are strongly desired and appreciated. I personally find myself working over the weekends just because I'm excited about the work, mostly because its a project I proposed. Many here do that.

Good culture of feedback, whether positive or constructive, between all employees. All employees go through feedback training and are encouraged to share their appreciation for each other. Nice open office that promotes collaboration and communication.

You also have the ability to learn about all the new major platforms, since Flixster is developing apps for everything: web, mobile web, iOS, Android, Xbox, Playstation, Windows Phone, desktop, smart tvs. You name it, we're on it. If you are passionate enough, you may be able to switch platforms if you get sick of your current one.

Upper management has always been very transparent to employees, whether its bad news or good, whether we've fallen short of our goals, and whether we've aced them. Warner Bros management has been very hands off, so it still feels like our pre-WB days (its been almost 2 years already). WB management has also very nice people to boot. Immediate engineering managers are intelligent and laid back, and the management approach is pretty hands off, because the employees are self-motivated.

I myself have learned more than just engineering skills here. I've learned entrepreneurial skills and the tradeoffs between engineering and business decisions, advertising considerations, interacting with 3rd parties, etc. Since people are expected to wear many hats, you can't help but learn these random soft skills. Very useful if I were one day brave enough to start my own company.

A lot of fun is had in the office: Beer, nerf guns, ping pong, poker nights, etc.

ConsNo bells and whistles in the office. Not a lot of startup-y perks. We dont have our own chefs or free lunches or massages. Heck, two years ago, we used folding tables as desks. (Its much nicer since WB bought us, we got nice desks and Aeron chairs!). But still, those who come to work here must really be excited about the actual work, the product, and their team members, because theres not much else. (The positive to that is that its a good filter for those types of people who we actually want to work with, who only care about the work, the product, and their team members).

New HR practices are kinda tedious ever since the acquisition, but I'm only comparing it to our lax startup ways before. Compliance training, sexual harassment training, monthly work records, stricter expense reporting, etc. But I imagine its this way at all big companies.

Smart and Easygoing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExtremely competent team and good technology base. It's a productive team without being high-pressure. This is a company that's done very well with Mobile. Good place to learn about that.

ConsThe location is a little inconvenient but not terrible.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One of the best places for an engineer to learn and grow

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros* Completely open culture where everyone is encouraged to give their coworkers regular feedback, so you don't have that fear and uncertainty about how you're doing. The engineering managers are fun, sincere, communicative people on top of being brilliant and hardworking. They genuinely want to help you improve your professional / life skills.

* Smart technical colleagues you can approach to discuss any problem you have, and they often suggest sexy new technologies that might help you out.

* Autonomy, opportunities to take lead on high-profile projects and easy to transition between teams / projects. I can't speak for the non-engineering side of the company, but everyone at engineering seems very satisfied.

Cons* No free lunches or company-sponsored happy hours / ski trips (they will sponsor those trips and outings if you volunteer to organize them though.) This is probably balanced out by our complete flexibility like working from home and taking half-days for doctor appointments, taking care of kids, etc.

* Partnering with 3rd-party companies who are less efficient than we are, can be frustrating.

* This is obvious but Flixster is not a rocket ship like AirBnb or Facebook was. Flixster will compensate you well and give lots of bonuses, but it's no longer a million-dollar lottery ticket to an IPO, if that's what you're looking for.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs we expand and hire more people, try not to lose that close communication we've enjoyed over past years.

A special place full of passionate people working on really fun products

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFlixster is a different kind of startup with a handful of really successful products. The managers and engineers are never content, and are constantly pushing themselves to stay ahead. Attrition rate here is extremely low, and everyone is generally awesome and happy.

ConsThe company is famously frugal, although everyone has a great sense of humor about it. Agreeing with earlier posts, the office building and furniture are over due for some upgrades.

Great environment, lousy office, fun spirit

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsJoe, Steve and Saran are highly visible leaders who act as if they are PART OF the team, not just leading it. The environment is serious but fun.

ConsSlow action on some ideas; there's a little "not invented here" syndrome among some top management. We need better offices, the ones we have give new meaning to "start up."

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust the ideas employees generate. Behave more like a real company (which we are) and not just a little startup. Make us PROUD OF WORKING HERE, because most of us are anyway.

Worked for Flixster? Contribute to the Community!