Florida Atlantic University

Florida Atlantic University Reviews

Updated September 17, 2014
Updated September 17, 2014
3.1

Florida Atlantic University President John W. Kelly, Ph.D.
John W. Kelly, Ph.D.

Pros
  • Good benefits if you're in upper management (in 4 reviews)

• Gain experience working with students on a college level-preparation for teaching positions (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Little to no support from supervisors or department (in 4 reviews)

• Because it's a State Government job, there are things that happen beyond the control of anyone at the University (budget cuts, etc) (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

One of the greatest places I have worked.

Current Employee - Facility Supervisor  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Facility Supervisor in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Florida Atlantic University part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Professional Staff works closely with all of the student staff making it an enjoyable place to go to work every day with the knowledge of having all your decisions backed up by management

Cons

Many of the patrons that come into the facility do not know how to use much of the equipment making it difficult to make sure that all the equipment is used properly which leads to equipment breaking quicker than it should.

There needs to be more Graduate Assistant positions.

An accepting community of individuals.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Davie, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davie, FL

I worked at Florida Atlantic University part-time for more than a year

Pros

The best thing about working here is that they are very accommodating to your needs. It also has services available for you to use on the campuses.

Cons

The main draw back about working here is that it can sometimes feel like you are still in school, people can be very cliquey and there's a lot of he said she said

Try to work on a way to make complaints or to have a disagreement method that is accessible to all employees.

Great and knowledgeable faculty, though some improvements would be welcome.

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Florida Atlantic University part-time for more than a year

Pros

The teaching facutly, and individuals responsible for the Graduate Teaching program are great advocates for those in the program, and provide invaluable advice and knowledge as well. I could not be more satisfied with the actual instructing faculty.

Cons

Living in Boca can be difficult on a Graduate Teaching Salary, though your tuition is covered.
    Fees (Technology fees, Parking, etc.) could be included in tuition coverage rather than charge for those and funnel an already small paycheck back to the university.

If you are going to attend and teach, you will enjoy your time, but I strongly advise looking into government assistance Food Stamps & Snap saved my family quite a bit of money

Value those who help make the University successful, those who teach fundamental courses for smaller pay. Make sure they have the resources they need to focus on teaching & learning. Wondering how to make ends meet and avoid homelessness sometimes took mental energy away from preparation and teaching, especially when numerous expensive fees were required by the university from a small paycheck. Those performing fundamental and important tasks must also worry that an injury or serious illness could bankrupt them, as there are no systems in place for health insurance or other necessary concerns.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

FAU Student Services

Former Employee - Greeter  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Greeter in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Florida Atlantic University part-time for more than a year

Pros

The location was great, people were very nice, pay wasn't the best though, there were lots of lateral opportunities as well.

Cons

I wish hours were more available. Existing structure of department made it difficult to move up to a higher position unless one of those individuals left or went to another department.

Board of Trustees seem like they don't know where to go. The new president seems like he has the right mindset to get FAU moving into the right direction. The Board should follow his leadership.

I enjoyed being part of the Ocean Engineering graduate program

Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Florida Atlantic University part-time for more than a year

Pros

You really learn how to push yourself to achieve your academic goals.
    During graduate school you are given the opportunity to publish and even present your research in national and international events/conferences.

Cons

Not too much funding for students trying to pursue graduate school in mechanical and ocean engineering.
    Students are sometimes overloaded with extra work which takes away time from the thesis and could delay graduation.

Adjunct Professor at FAU

Former Employee - Adjunct Professor  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Florida Atlantic University as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Being an adjunct professor is very rewarding, working with the students is great. Most classrooms feature state of the art equipment.

Cons

You won't get rich being an adjunct professor. It is a labor of love.

Best not to keep loading up adjunct professors with more and more students ... they will get burnt out.

Great place to learn professionalism

Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Florida Atlantic University part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great classes, professors, intern opportunities

Cons

When I was there, I had to travel 45 min between two campuses. Now the Exercise Science Dept is all on the main campus in Boca Raton, FL

Well done no complaints

Career Development Center

Former Employee - Career Counselor  in  Davie, FL
    Former Employee - Career Counselor in Davie, FL

I worked at Florida Atlantic University full-time

Pros

None. There are no positives to this institution.

Cons

The leadership team here is horrible, from micromanagement to complete disrespect for their employees this place is somewhere I would steer clear. There is a reason why the administration and leadership teams here are constantly changing and their services are no longer being required. They have a low student graduate rate and high employee turnover rate, the reason for this is because FAU does not know who they are nor how people or students should be treated. In my short experience there I witnessed several students being turned away for services because the staff did not feel like doing their jobs. AVOID THIS PLACE, it's not worth the few pennies they will pay you to work there.

Take management and leadership courses so you understand how to actually manage people.

As a student employee, FAU is a great place to work.

I worked at Florida Atlantic University part-time

Pros

Working on campus while being a student is great. They accommodate according to your schedule.

Cons

The pay isn't super, but doable.

Great university

I worked at Florida Atlantic University part-time

Pros

many new buildings, lnew gym, cafeteria, stadium. Great people, great location. Boca raton is an awesome area, near beach, near mall and in good neighborhood.

Cons

lack of parking, negative media coverage in past few years

hire strong leaders

Worked for Florida Atlantic University? Contribute to the Community!