www.floridablue.com

Updated February 25, 2015
3.3

Florida Blue Chairman & CEO Patrick J. Geraghty
Patrick J. Geraghty

Pros
  • Company appreciates the value of work-life balance and social/community responsibility (in 12 reviews)

• Great benefits, flexible work schedule (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance that the company touts does not apply to contractors (in 6 reviews)

• The health insurance package is surprisingly expensive (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

112 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Phenomenal company!

I worked at Florida Blue

Pros

Work-life balance
    Great managers
    Fun to go to work

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say! I had a great experience

Good benefits and work environment

Current Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Florida Blue

Pros

Benefits, nice campus, decent leadership

Cons

Politics in high leadership aren't pleasant

Eh

Good organization working through change

Current Employee - Executive Management in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Executive Management in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Florida Blue full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A strong company trying to respond to fundamental changes in the health care and health insurance industry. Be ready for constant change. Strong vision of where it wants to go.

Cons

Lots of internal change and reorganization, with downsizing in some areas and new opportunities in others. Constant change could be a negative if it's something you dislike.

Comparable

I worked at Florida Blue

Pros

Employee training opportunities
    Work - life balance

Cons

Promotional opportunity, decision making hierarchy

A once great company fallen on hard times.

Current Employee - Professional in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Professional in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Florida Blue full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people! Everyone, with few exceptions, is smart, friendly and helpful. I rarely feel like an "outsider" on any team.

The campus! The deerwood campus in Jacksonville is beautiful, has convenient parking, two above average cafeterias, YMCA and ball fields.

The work! I was rarely bored. There was always something going on. I had plenty of opportunities to grow and add to my skill set.

The flexibility! I worked A LOT! But I got to decide when/where those hours were spent. My boss was very hands off. There was a healthy trust relationship there.

Cons

Before I start this: 5 years ago, this was a 5 star company to work for. This is no longer the case. Yes, there are plenty of employees with 20+ years there, but that's because of the company it USED to be. When the company isn't laying off in waves, the talent is walking to higher paying jobs on their own. It is literally hemorraging talent.

The "management"! The are a few insufferable" corporate climbers" there... As everywhere. But every time I blinked they were adding new levels/layers of "management" to the point of "The TPS" reports from the movie office space. On my last project - I AM NOT KIDDING - there was a 1-to-1 correspondence of those working and those watching those working... And this at a time we're being told "money is tight!" The organization is awkwardly top heavy - and post-layoffs (in which no management was let go) even more so.

The work! Although I'm a born workaholic and LOVE what I do, the work never stops. There was never a "lull" to work cycles - it was more "sunami" than waves. Everyone there has weeks and weeks (months?) of vacation time stored up because there's never any time to use it. ...and God forbid you should take some time to yourself without a cell and tablet/laptop handy.

For God's sake take an hour out of you cushy weekend-off lifestyle and look over the time records of your employees. When you see trends of workers or teams getting over 60 hours for weeks on end - maybe it's time to find out why so few resources are doing so much work without relief. Then it's probably time to either align expectations of productivity to the actual workforce you have.

Also, if a single "worker bee" has to report his project's "status" to more than 3 "managers" - it's time to convert said "managers" to workers. Acquiring "project status" is NOT the act of a person producing actual work.

LEAD Don't MANAGE! The company has 5 different Enrollment systems. Why is no-one taking the lead to stop and correct such obvious insanity?!?! It's KILLING your "customer experience". I've had friends insured by Florida Blue compare dealing with it to the DMV or even, GULP... Comcast!

PEEL BACK layers of management. The BRM (Business resource management) group is an ill conceived poorly implanted joke of a barrier to progress. It's just one more layer of "management" chasing people who are actually producing work product for their "status". It is BIZARRE and the largest single shining example of what is WRONG with the philosophy of management at the organization.

Promotions! As of this writing, promoting a person has to be signed off by the CEO of the company. Yeah, that's not happening.

Working at this company has been a phenomenal experience.

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Florida Blue

Pros

This company foster development. Has great benefits. Has longevity and the administration of the company was very vigilant.

Cons

The company is vastly changing and raking the employees over the coles. They have hired new CLOSERS to conquer and get rid of the fat in the company. Not the same company Far from it!!

Doesn't matter what my advice is the all are puppet masters they have no say so or control. If you don't agree with the majority you are suddenly an outcast are maybe displaced or moved to a task that is not a challenge.

Dedicated to customers

Former Employee - Systems Analyst/Administrator II in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst/Administrator II in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Florida Blue full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fun place to work with great benefits and people. Very supportive of advancement and development.

Cons

Currently reducing Administrative costs due to poor strategic planning and oversight. Some of the good things for employees are going by the wayside in order to be more competitive.

I was very pleased with my work experience with Florida Blue.

Former Employee - Team Lead in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Florida Blue

Pros

Salaries, benefits and company values.

Cons

Did not have any cons that was not related to normal work requirements.

Speak to your employees on a regular basis.

Like working in a government agency, work groups very siloed, company top heavy.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Florida Blue full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work environment alright, company has been stable for a long time since it is the dominant health insurance firm in Florida. There are lot of people that have worked 20+ years in the company. However that could be its Achilles heel also.

Cons

Benefits could be better, the departmentalized organization structure causes people not to interact people from other work groups. For a company with motto "in the pursuit of health" one would think they offer free gym membership. Senior executives getting huge compensation while company's net income on a downward trajectory.

Corporate culture needs to be radically improved ... feels like a company stuck in the 70's. The CEO preached flat organization structure, but seems like more hierarchy is added.

I have been working at Florida Blue for over 5 years.

I have been working at Florida Blue

Pros

Though Health Insurance companies are going through many changes with the affordable care act, FL Blue remains competitive and in a good financial position. Great people who try to do the right thing.

Cons

Pay scale could increase a bit and be more fair across the board.

Management needs to take the opinion of staff into account more often. They need to trust their staff a bit more.

Florida Blue Photos