www.floridablue.com

Updated December 17, 2014
3.4

Florida Blue Chairman & CEO Patrick J. Geraghty
Patrick J. Geraghty

Pros
  • Company appreciates the value of work-life balance and social/community responsibility (in 12 reviews)

• Great benefits, flexible work schedule (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance that the company touts does not apply to contractors (in 6 reviews)

• The health insurance package is surprisingly expensive (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

103 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I have been working at Florida Blue for over 5 years.

I have been working at Florida Blue

Pros

Though Health Insurance companies are going through many changes with the affordable care act, FL Blue remains competitive and in a good financial position. Great people who try to do the right thing.

Cons

Pay scale could increase a bit and be more fair across the board.

Management needs to take the opinion of staff into account more often. They need to trust their staff a bit more.

Great Place to Work Survey Spoke Volumes

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Florida Blue full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Time and time again, our GPTW survey results show this company is INDEED a fantastic place to work. ALL health insurance companies are suffering due to PPACA, and we are ALL making cut backs in one way or another. Despite that, we have HUNDREDS of employees who have been with this company for 20 years plus. I personally have more than 10 team members who are celebrating more than 15 years here. At 11 years under my belt, I'm a baby! Yes, we've had a layoff and there will be another in the spring. We are doing a re-set so we will remain competitive in this volatile market. You know who's been let go?? Primarily, it's been the losers who have failed drug tests, on Corrective Action, or squeezing by with 2's on their reviews. Those of us who work hard for our members and customers, who believe in what Florida Blue stands for, and WORK HARD every day aren't going anywhere, because we love this company!! Sour grapes on this board are just that. Do your homework.

Cons

Challenges of working here?? Let's see... Perhaps they could bump up salaries a bit. I don't see enough of a bump each year, and the pay scale (low/mid/high for each position) has pretty much remained the same since my start date.

Continue supporting those of us who have strong work ethic and have pride in what we do.

Great company

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Florida Blue

Pros

This was a great company to work for. The training and development was excellent. Superb management and cohesive staff. I have no complaints.

Cons

There were no challenges of working here. Th only challenge was being selected during the hiring process. Jobs don't remain open long.

Excellent management

Great Benefits

Former Employee - Project Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Florida Blue

Pros

Ability to advance throughout company and move up to higher positions. Great salary and benefits.

Cons

Tends to be slow to make decisions and very process bound - analyze everything before acting.

Not Horrible

Current Employee - Event Coordinator in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Event Coordinator in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Florida Blue full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility with time. I came early and left early. I also worked from home part-time. It was very nice to have those benefits.

Cons

Not enough work to go around. I was bored a lot.

Started out ok but started going downhill after health care reform changes really kicked in.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Florida Blue full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Incredible relocation package if you're moving to Jacksonville, time-off starts at 18 days not including sick days). A great main campus with an exercise gym (minimal fee), on-site clinic, and many intramural sport opportunities. Semi-annual awards events seemed to improve morale and recognize outstanding efforts. For me, I had a great close-knit team and a wonderful boss.

Cons

After March or April 2014 things really seemed to get more stressful - lots more emphasis on performance and unrealistic expectations. The focus became much more about saving the company money than on anything else. The realities of health care reform meant that Florida Blue had to start getting really lean.

Company does not demonstrate teamwork.

Current Employee - Director in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Director in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Florida Blue full-time

Pros

Health benefits, location, employees care about each other

Cons

Salary, no employee appreciation, lay offs, poor communication

I have been here for 8 years and this place is on a study decline in employee satisfaction.

Current Employee - Systems Analyst II in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst II in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Florida Blue full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I enjoy my team members

Cons

Senior leadership doesn't know what is going on...No direction, there is favortism. I am very disappointed in how fast things have declined with new leadership in place.

I wouldn't go back...

Former Employee - IT Business Analyst in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - IT Business Analyst in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Florida Blue as a contractor

Pros

I don't really have much good to say about working here other than the cafeteria's in each building were nice... shame, could have been a great place to work!

Cons

Very unstable place to work and from what I've heard that's fairly consistent across departments. I would not bother to go back if I had to work in the same dept....

A little on-boarding, perhaps some direction would be nice as opposed to the current sink or swim mentatlity...

Do not recommend working for Florida Blue

Former Employee - Service Advocate in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Service Advocate in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Florida Blue as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Working for Florida Blue via Incepture, their in-house staffing agency. Pros include being able to post for permanent positions after 6 months of contracted employment, competitive pay, stable working hours, able to enjoy some Florida Blue company events such as team lunches and on-site "appreciation days," with food and outdoor activities. Able to participate in Florida Blue's intramural sports. Management in my department was courteous, and made sure to say thank you often to employees and contractors which was nice, but I felt that it was more of a tool to coax greater performance than actual appreciation.

It could actually be a fantastic place to work with some improvements.

Cons

Company is very socially liberal and actually has a Diversity Department. It is evident that Florida Blue is more concerned with "diversity" and/or personal relationships with regard to hiring and some promotions, including those from temp to perm, than performance (this was noted to me by several actual FB employees with whom I worked my first few months). Diversity is forced on employees, and it is how many employees are hired through Florida Blue as well as Incepture. I'm not socially conservative and do not bring my political feelings to the office, but I do appreciate more of a middle of the road environment in the workplace. I did not feel that this was exemplified at Florida Blue and fairness, which is subjective anyway, is not really at the standard at which it should be.

If you are dissatisfied with your current role and wish to change to a role with greater potential to advance, you are unable to until your contract ends, and even then, there is no guarantee that a position will be available by that time. Incepture seems disinterested in assisting with finding and offering positions to interested contractors which are more suited for them.

When posting for internal FB positions, you are required to complete a "personality assessment," which contains over 100 questions. Some are redundant, and some are phrased so close to the same way another question may be, but answering the same way would mean something different. Though one may have an excellent track record of performance and supervisor recommendation, the "system" supposedly filters out those whose "personalities" do not match whatever their criteria is, and they are disqualified. However, many employees, especially many of the longer-tenured employees, can be downright abrasive and rude to customers (but hey, they passed the test, so I guess their personalities are okay). So, that is not truly the best indicator of how well someone will work versus actual results of their work.

Our initial assignments had been ended prematurely due to budget cuts. However, Incepture had available positions to fill in another department, and those were offered to all of us pending passing the "personality assessment" and related skills tests. Two others, as well as myself, were not offered the other position, due to "not scoring high enough on the personality assessment", though scoring very high on the simulated call, typing, Microsoft Word (read: skills required for the actual position in question) and ALL other actual tests. When asked about the reasoning for us not being offered the other position, Florida Blue sent us to Incepture and Incepture sent us to Florida Blue. Finally, Incepture said they they would be able to get the scores for us (still has not happened over a month later), but refused to provide explanations as to specifically why we had not been selected when they were asked.

Bonuses are provided to all Florida Blue employees annually. However, contractors do not receive anything, even though contractors are hired to fulfill the same needs as existing employees. Contractors receive minimal PTO (8 hours after 1000 billed hours, which is equal to about 6 months' employment) and do not receive paid holidays, though FB employees do.

FB employees are able to basically determine their own schedule. Employees are able to flex whenever needed, and not come in whenever they feel like it as long as they have the PTO, whether by scheduling in advance, or by calling the automated system. Contractors are able to flex as long as their FB supervisor allows it, and are unable to call out via the automated system which the employees use. Contractors are also unable to work around schedules for school which conflict with the FB schedule, though employees can.

Minimal training was provided and additional work continued to be heaped onto the contractors as our terms progressed, while many employees refused to do various types of work which was then foisted upon the contractors. Company does not communicate effectively for the most part. Other reviews indicate this as well.

Cafeterias are nice and offer a variety of food selections. However, that is also contracted via Sodexo. Employees can be blatantly rude, ignore you when you are ready to order and they are not terribly busy, and.or texting while you are trying to purchase items. The same uncaring employees seem to remain even after numerous complaints by numerous people. (By the way, they are paid for holidays, while Florida Blue's own contractors are not.)

Many employees refuse to follow the dress code, but still are employed and continue to be with no consequences, even after multiple communications. Some come in pajamas, others in flip flops or revealing outfits. Some come in in very baggy clothes, or clothes with holes. Sloppy dress seems to be condoned, though not encouraged.

"Great Place To Work" surveys are conducted annually to gauge employee satisfaction. Contractors are not eligible for this survey and therefore do not have a say in communicating how they feel about what is going well, what is not, and how the workplace can be improved.

Focus more on hiring and promoting great performers rather than to engender a perception of "diversity". Instead of bringing contractors in and then dismissing them, consider keeping excellent performers. Stop promoting "diversity" as a company value; is is synonymous with "affirmative action" and employees are well aware of the implications, as they see it daily. No one is fooled. Hire people because they are the best fit for the position, NOT because you want a "diverse" place of employment. That should work itself out and you will have a diverse group of employees who ARE high performers.

Saying "thank you" and sharing how much you appreciate the contractors is nice. It would show more appreciation by treating them closer to the way you treat the employees, such as paid holidays, which is worded in the contract so it seems that contractors would be paid, but then are told that they are not. Very shady. Being able to receive a part of the FB employee bonus after working there for a year would be nice as well, even it it were minimal in comparison to the amount which the employees receive.

Rather than bring in an outside executive and paying them $7mm plus whatever bonus incentives in order to "save the company money," perhaps you should listen to the employees, as they work through mired "processes" every day. They are the best resource to utilize in order to understand where bottlenecks are, and how time can be saved executing tasks. Instead, blanket firings resulted (contractors and employees) even after it was communicated that that would not be the case.

Florida Blue Photos