Florida Blue

Florida Blue Reviews in Jacksonville, FL

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Florida Blue Chairman & CEO Patrick J. Geraghty

Patrick J. Geraghty

Pros
  • Work Life Balance - Flex Time - Leadership actually listens(in 11 reviews)

• Great benefits, flexible work schedule(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance that the company touts does not apply to contractors(in 6 reviews)

• For a health insurance company, the benefits aren't that great(in 5 reviews)

81 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Excellent company to work for!

SP III (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsGreat facilities! Good work environment! Great overall package!

ConsNo cons to report about this company,

Great people and benefits.

Sales (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsThey are veryh big on balancing your home and work life. The benefits are good, bonuses and excellent pricing on healthcare premiums.

ConsI work in one of the regional offices and the Corporate Office in Jacksinville seems disconnected a lot of times with what is going on in the regional offices. Most of the "perks" are only celebrated by those on the Jacksonville campus.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be easier for some employees to respect there managers if the managers had experience in the departments that they managed. My two managers were hired because of their degrees and have no idea what we really do. Every time someone asks a question, the response is, "I'll check on that and let you know".

Highly Ethical, thank you. Sour grapes much?

Anonymous (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsThe fact that our company challenges the very ethics of our sales execs and resorts to escorting those sales execs right out the door on their Prada wearing fannies when their integrity continues to be questioned should clear up any confusion as to THE COMPANY'S ethics.

ConsToo many admin budget cutbacks and too many "perks" and fancy trips for some.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust keep fighting the fight. We are doing an amazing job!!! Our Best Place To Work scores speak for themselves.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work

Senior QA Analyst (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsNice co-workers. Good working environment.

ConsSome managers need to figure out what they are doing.

Great experience but there is a lack infubding would not make contract employees permanent

Service Advocate (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

Prosflexible schedule, great manager, laxed environment, great training

Consno PTO for contract employees

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider your contract employees as great assets to the running of the company and should be treated as such after 6 monts or less they should become permanent if they have proved themselves.

Great company - big changes ahead.

Procurement (Former Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsStable, respected company. Great employees to work with. You'll get all of the tools you need to get your job done. Good work/life balance. Flexible work hours and some opportunities to work from home.

Work space is good but not luxurious. Everyone works in a cubicle except for top management. Lots of conference rooms if you need one.

The headquarters office campus provides a comfortable work atmosphere for several thousand people. Two on-site cafeterias include a large assortment of food options including burgers, hot & cold sandwiches, large salad bar, stir-fry options, Mexican fare, etc.

In 2014 Florida Blue split into two operating units. The insurance unit remains a regulated, non-profit business. Most of the company (and subsidiary operations) is now NON-regulated and operates FOR-profit. This holds many promising opportunities (if it works out as planned).

ConsIt's a large company and (in late 2013) still slow and a bit bureaucratic. Upper management and the company culture is extremely risk averse. Much of this is due to the many responsibilities and regulatory requirements that come with the health insurance industry.

If you're the type of person who is used to making your own decisions and quickly moving to the next project, it may take some getting used to an environment where other departments also need to participate in most processes.

Hundreds of "contract" employees work in many departments. Some opportunities for advancement to permanent status depending on budgets. It's disconcerting when you discover that a team member is suddenly gone because their contract is up or they found permanent work.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the most of the transition to "for-profit" operations.
    There's lots of opportunities to reduce the bureaucracy and streamline processes and operations.
    Learn to live with a little risk where you can. The "no risk" environment comes with costs..
    Minimize contract employees and transition to permanent employees where feasible.

They are a good company with a strong work/life balance.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsStrong work/life balance. Friendly atmosphere.

ConsTechnology challenged. Lack of management collaboration across departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate manager collaboration across cross-functional workgroups to encourage teamwork. Divisions/departments tend to work in silos.

Great Place to Work!

Analyst III (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsWork Life Balance - Flex Time - Leadership actually listens.

ConsI don't have anything negative to say.

Company is going down hill...

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsBenefits,
    Fair Compensation
    Flexible Work Arrangements
    System Capabilities

ConsNew Leadership Position based on who they know, not most qualified.
    Outsourcing the majority of company functions
    Becoming 'top heavy' with horrible senior level management positions
    Vendors (BCBSF Equity Owned Companies) hurting company & causing cost to increase

Advice to Senior ManagementBCBSFL use to be a wonderful company until this new CEO started. In 25 years, BCBSF has never been this bad...

The company is no longer a health insurance company but instead a vendor management company. All the new Senior Leaders brought in from the other Blues plan and outside companies are causing employee, member and provider dissatisfaction which no care or understanding of the business and market. The downward direction is not from ObamaCare, but because of the poor leadership that started in 2011.

Ok place.. would not recommend Finance Org AT ALL.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsGreat employee wide perks (some manager based)
    Great campus facility (gym, cafeterias)
    Time off was middle of the range but good
    Opportunities to move up are there
    Pay is middle of the road.

ConsI want to preface this by saying I worked at Blue for a LONG time and while it was a great place once I started 7+ years ago, I left when I worked in an area where I was truly overworked / unappreciated / underpaid. I am by no means disgruntled it is in most areas a great place to work and offers you a good work life balance and good co-workers.

Too many decisions are given to (often inept) managers and senior (department heads), this being work life balance , comp time etc.. so if the company touts we offer flex work weeks etc, that decision is not on whole its done via departments. Often times the company would send mass emails stating this and the CFO / Finance group would then send an email reminding you that they don't have that policy.

I would avoid the Finance group like the plague, some good places to work within but very few out of the whole org. It feels like a finance group from the 80's that never grew up / with the times.

Often times I would end up in departments with managers who I would think by virtue of just being the last one standing or just been there forever would be managing the group. These are people who determined your bonus + pay bump , and often had very very poor managing skills.

Benefits are very poor compared to what they used to be.. I want to stress this again Health benefits are poor.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at your departments and their employee survey if finance is consistently ranking poor (and it did) there needs to be a wholesale change in which the group is managed.

Worked for Florida Blue? Contribute to the Community!