Florida Blue Reviews

Updated September 11, 2014
3.7

Florida Blue Chairman & CEO Patrick J. Geraghty
Patrick J. Geraghty

Pros
  • Work Life Balance - Flex Time - Leadership actually listens (in 11 reviews)

• Great benefits, flexible work schedule (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance that the company touts does not apply to contractors (in 6 reviews)

• For a health insurance company, the benefits aren't that great (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great corporate environment and perks.

Former Employee - IT Business Analyst  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - IT Business Analyst in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Florida Blue full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great corporate environment, competitive pay with great benefits and perks. Individuals can become part of affinity groups, sport activities, community outreach with volunteer hours paid by the company.

Cons

Lack of leadership and accountability in the middle and senior level. Huge "silos" within the IT BRM organization.

Start embracing an empowering leadership culture and stop the old managerial model where the manager just play the "Simon Says" game and keeps hammering down the individual contributor. Stop with the reactive "band-aid" approach and start developing BAs with more development opportunities that will groom them to the next level, specially when undergoing through big changes in the organization.

great people

Current Employee - Manager  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Florida Blue full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

great people outside of facility area

Cons

the upper leadership choose to promote and assist the few and not the talented

clean house of people that have been there too long and in the same area

Good education, but poor growth/ average compensation

Current Employee - IT Department  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - IT Department in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Florida Blue full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The company allows you plenty of flexibility, including working from home. As a employee starting out you will get a good education on corporate structure and how corporation operate.

Cons

Promotions to higher positions are based more on who you know that performance. Performance compensation is also limited due to company management structure. Poor performers are allowed to continue working at the company which lowers morale, hurts overall performance, and frustrates top performers.

Pay top performers based on what they deserve and get rid or low performers and difficult employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Most employees here have no idea how good they have it.

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Analyst in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Florida Blue full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Management not only asks, but listens; schedules are flexible (ability to work from home/flex schedule is awesome), benefits are excellent, salaries competitive, environment is professional, if somewhat conservative. Company appreciates the value of work-life balance and social/community responsibility.

Cons

Company is quite top heavy in terms of management. Technology definitely lags behind the times. Communication is of utmost importance, but more often than not the message is not always clear. The organization as a whole is slow to adopt change, even as it recognizes the necessity of it.

Figure out the game plan and be honest with your employees as to what it is. Shouting CHANGE IS COMING! from the mountaintop while providing no guidance as to what the change is or how your employees can support it creates uncertainty across all ranks. It is unreasonable to demand a commitment to supporting the effort if you can't explain what the effort entails or what the end goal is.

A great experience.

I worked at Florida Blue

Pros

There are many opportunities to grow professionally. Management was very supportive of my educational endeavors.

Cons

There are lots of unexpected meetings.

Great company

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Analyst in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Florida Blue full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Florida Blue has a great culture with a lot of opportunities for growth. They have a great mentoring program that allows you to meet different leaders throughout the company.

Cons

The health insurance package is surprisingly expensive.

Great People to work with

Current Employee - UI Developer  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - UI Developer in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Florida Blue as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Very professional staff
    Friendly atmosphere
    Good pay
    Possibly the best manager I've ever worked for

I really enjoyed my time at Florida Blue. The people I met there was really talented and a pleasure to work with. I would work there again for sure.

Cons

Contractors tend to be hired and laid off quite easily. This seems to put a lot of stress on the hiring managers. When the budget cuts come, several people can get laid off at once.

You've got some great people in middle management, let them thrive.

Great work and life balance.

I have been working at Florida Blue full-time

Pros

I work in one of the smaller regional offices so we don't have to deal with the "corporate" environment so that is one of my favorite things about working here. The benefits are good and the pay is decent compared to other places in my area. The people are very friendly and helpful.

Cons

Corporate is so disconnected with the regional offices, there is a huge lack of communications between departments that are supposed to wok together taking away from the main goal.

Good Salary ~ Management Iffy

Former Employee - Analyst II  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Analyst II in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Florida Blue full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay and opportunity to learn.

Cons

Prior employees working there so long and throwing others with short time there under the bus with Management. Management does not like to get involved and does not like to confront the bullies let alone give them consequences for their actions.

Please listen to those who have the courage to come to you and express concern over the bullies of the company and please do something about them or you will continue to lose great employees who are wonderful team players, who work with integrity and do not throw others under the bus.

Rewarding and Educational Opportunities

Former Employee - Manager  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Florida Blue full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The culture in the Corp offices is stale dry and shark land. The regional offices is more relaxed almost like working for a different company. Them new CEO has made vast changes and everyone is getting shifted or let go. The tenure at FB is everyone has been in the company for 10+ so if you are coming in the organization over those that have been there than lets just say it will take a while for people to warm up to you

Cons

Executive leadership is out of touch with the operations. The company is moving at a speed of light and good employee are falling off because the sense of loyalty to employee is absent.

get in touch with operations.

Worked for Florida Blue? Contribute to the Community!