Florida Blue

Florida Blue Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Florida Blue Chairman & CEO Patrick J. Geraghty

Patrick J. Geraghty

Pros
  • Work Life Balance - Flex Time - Leadership actually listens(in 11 reviews)

• Great benefits, flexible work schedule(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance that the company touts does not apply to contractors(in 6 reviews)

• For a health insurance company, the benefits aren't that great(in 5 reviews)

Excellent company to work for!

SP III (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsGreat facilities! Good work environment! Great overall package!

ConsNo cons to report about this company,

Great people and benefits.

Sales (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsThey are veryh big on balancing your home and work life. The benefits are good, bonuses and excellent pricing on healthcare premiums.

ConsI work in one of the regional offices and the Corporate Office in Jacksinville seems disconnected a lot of times with what is going on in the regional offices. Most of the "perks" are only celebrated by those on the Jacksonville campus.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be easier for some employees to respect there managers if the managers had experience in the departments that they managed. My two managers were hired because of their degrees and have no idea what we really do. Every time someone asks a question, the response is, "I'll check on that and let you know".

An enjoyable, occasionally frustrating place to work

Claims Manager, Workers' Comp (Former Employee) Lake Mary, FL

ProsThe benefits are quite good, and this company has a lot of corporate structure and opportunity -- as long as you're willing to go to Jacksonville.

ConsMost of the opportunities are in Jacksonville, and they just sold off the workers' comp business (where I worked).

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Highly Ethical, thank you. Sour grapes much?

Anonymous (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsThe fact that our company challenges the very ethics of our sales execs and resorts to escorting those sales execs right out the door on their Prada wearing fannies when their integrity continues to be questioned should clear up any confusion as to THE COMPANY'S ethics.

ConsToo many admin budget cutbacks and too many "perks" and fancy trips for some.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust keep fighting the fight. We are doing an amazing job!!! Our Best Place To Work scores speak for themselves.

Great place to work!

ProsEmployees are valued and invested in. Company mission and value aligns with my personal values. The industry is rapidly changing and this is an exciting time to watch this company grow and diversify.

ConsConstantly reorganization of senior leadership. I cannot keep up with the movement of people and accountabilities.

Good place to work

Senior QA Analyst (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsNice co-workers. Good working environment.

ConsSome managers need to figure out what they are doing.

Not good for women

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsLarge state-wide company, but most opportunity in Jacksonville

ConsGood old boy club
    Favorites, generally male, get the promotions

Advice to Senior ManagementMore women on board of directors and upper management

Great experience but there is a lack infubding would not make contract employees permanent

Service Advocate (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

Prosflexible schedule, great manager, laxed environment, great training

Consno PTO for contract employees

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider your contract employees as great assets to the running of the company and should be treated as such after 6 monts or less they should become permanent if they have proved themselves.

Great company - big changes ahead.

Procurement (Former Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsStable, respected company. Great employees to work with. You'll get all of the tools you need to get your job done. Good work/life balance. Flexible work hours and some opportunities to work from home.

Work space is good but not luxurious. Everyone works in a cubicle except for top management. Lots of conference rooms if you need one.

The headquarters office campus provides a comfortable work atmosphere for several thousand people. Two on-site cafeterias include a large assortment of food options including burgers, hot & cold sandwiches, large salad bar, stir-fry options, Mexican fare, etc.

In 2014 Florida Blue split into two operating units. The insurance unit remains a regulated, non-profit business. Most of the company (and subsidiary operations) is now NON-regulated and operates FOR-profit. This holds many promising opportunities (if it works out as planned).

ConsIt's a large company and (in late 2013) still slow and a bit bureaucratic. Upper management and the company culture is extremely risk averse. Much of this is due to the many responsibilities and regulatory requirements that come with the health insurance industry.

If you're the type of person who is used to making your own decisions and quickly moving to the next project, it may take some getting used to an environment where other departments also need to participate in most processes.

Hundreds of "contract" employees work in many departments. Some opportunities for advancement to permanent status depending on budgets. It's disconcerting when you discover that a team member is suddenly gone because their contract is up or they found permanent work.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the most of the transition to "for-profit" operations.
    There's lots of opportunities to reduce the bureaucracy and streamline processes and operations.
    Learn to live with a little risk where you can. The "no risk" environment comes with costs..
    Minimize contract employees and transition to permanent employees where feasible.

Very satisfied with my job

Case Manager (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsGreat benefits, flexible work schedule

ConsManagement positions are not very inviting so it makes it hard to aspire a higher position.

Worked for Florida Blue? Contribute to the Community!