Florida Cancer Specialists

Updated November 14, 2014
Updated November 14, 2014
2.4

Brad Prechtl

Overall I had a great experience. I love my patients.

Current Employee - Medical Assistant in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Medical Assistant in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Florida Cancer Specialists full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You learn alot working for the company and you meet great people from all walks of life.

Cons

Getting attached to a patient. Recieving bad news

Treat your employees with dignity.

I worked at Florida Cancer Specialists full-time

Pros

Patients are so inspiring and grateful. Most of the doctors are easy to work with. Clean and well organized.

Cons

Poor management. Lots of micromanaging. Hard to get time off. I felt like a robot and the patients are treated like another number.

Talk to your staff

Poor Managment, Rude Supervisors

Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Tampa, FL

I worked at Florida Cancer Specialists full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Theres nothing that whant to make you work gor this company. Every person there are unhappy always complaining supervisors are rude and
    unappreciated. Managers hate their boss. Your coworkers give you the cold shoulder. Your to-do list is either painfully boring or terrifyingly long.

Cons

You dont have any saying the doctors they know all but all patients keep complaining for testing and treatment they have to do. They just see money they dont care for patients care. Humnana cut them for all the bad treatment and poor care. Ordering the most expensive treatment and testing for patients but patient can not ask questions or talk yo the doctors because it will bother them.

Change the way you treating employee change HR completly and your female supervisors for your mayor department. You should pay attention why people keep leaving your company.

Lack of Training and Personal Development = Frustration

Current Employee - Financial Counselor in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Financial Counselor in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Florida Cancer Specialists full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

From what I understand, they pay more than other local companies for the same job. Decent benefits, PTO, medical, dental, vision, disability, good match on 401K.

Cons

There is a huge gap between managers and staff. The word is the managers in the Managed Care department are even told by their VP not to get too friendly with staff. Maintaining professionalism is important, but just as important is making employees feel like they are a valuable part of the team. That is not the case in this company. Creativity and problem solving from subordinates is discouraged with statements like, "It's more complicated than that," or "I wish it were that simple," or "You wouldn't understand." People pursuing leadership positions are not given opportunities to demonstrate the qualities they already possess or trained to fit or "understand" the qualities the company is seeking.

Leadership needs much better training. Company would have happier, less fearful employees if communication was open. Transparency, honesty, and accountability at all levels would be a refreshing change.

It Could Be Worse

Current Employee - Patient Service Specialist
    Current Employee - Patient Service Specialist

I have been working at Florida Cancer Specialists full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay. Very Large Company, lots of locations, departments and positions. Floating, while at first I was not thrilled with the idea of having to cover in another location, the break from your seat can be nice. Floating is mandatory of all employees. Technology is ahead of most medical offices.

Cons

Management is on a power trip. LOTS of favoritism; while some get reprimanded others get a slap on the wrist. Double standard. NO TRAINING Department; you are thrown in the position. Expect to work hard with little/no appreciation. When they tell you all offices are run the same, it is a lie. Moving up is not as easy as they make it sound, there are a lot of HR rules that need to be changed.

Please create a training program that will help retain employees, and keep current employees from the added stress of training someone in addition to maintaining there workload with out the compensation and/or appreciation of added work. Keep a better eye on regional managers and office managers, they should be micro-managed.

Really good job

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Florida Cancer Specialists full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pt focused care. Mostly positive atmosphere. Professional work environment. Interesting work. Lots of learning opportunities. Catered lunch provided most days. Technology and software very current.

Cons

Micro-managed. Very little autonomy. Mediocre wages and terrible medical coverage.

Less expensive benefits and more variety of coverage options. Does not offer a cafeteria plan. Currently only offered very poor coverage at an astronomical price.

Unorganized poor management

Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Palm Harbor, FL
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Palm Harbor, FL

I worked at Florida Cancer Specialists full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Provide empathic care to patients

Cons

Terrible management unable to take time off to care for yourself

To big to have any knowledge about ethical values regarding staff

Horrible! Horrible management!

Former Employee - Billing in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Billing in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Florida Cancer Specialists full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Tons of opportunity to move up.

Cons

Horrible training. The woman training me was completely over worked, she was horrible to me, she resented training me. She told me one thing and then contradicted herself constantly. I would take notes and at the top of the page it would say one thing and at the bottom, the complete opposite. I tried to speak with her, but she just started bullying me. She would come into my cublicle, scream at me and leave. I went to management and asked for additional training, told them I was having issues with her.and they did nothing. I went to management three times in six weeks and got no help.I realized I did not want to work for people like tha, so I quit. It was the best decision I ever made!!!

Listen to your employees, when they ask for help, HELP THEM!

Micro-Management, Hostile work environment, Slave driver mentality, you will never do enough for them.

I worked at Florida Cancer Specialists full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A paycheck, free coffee, gun free environment.

Cons

You are treated like a 1st grader in school, with no ability to make any decisions, management has no clue, nepotism, Doctor's are the God's everyone else is a pion. The mid-level Managers work till all hours, get work text messages and email that they need to respond to till 2:00 AM or "else". There is no such thing "as a day off" here. "Vacation is a joke". Backstabbers, unskilled Managers/Supervisors, who are immature, and unskilled and gossip like there life depends on it. Catty, non-professional behavior. Run for your life!

Highest turnover in the industry, must be something wrong someplace, but then again you're still getting paid your inflated salary so who cares?

Great place to learn

I worked at Florida Cancer Specialists (more than an year)

Pros

Busy center, makes the day go by very fast. Lots of opportunities to learn and the patients are wonderful. Great benefits. Staff is a lot of fun and made great friends while working there.

Cons

Low wages for amount of work expected to be done. Occasionally asked to work outside of my scope. Some doctors have a "God complex", although I've found this to be true at other facilities as well.