Florida Cancer Specialists

Updated February 9, 2015
Updated February 9, 2015
2.6

Brad Prechtl

The company has gotten very big, very fast. We still do not have a Director of Nursing overseeing nursing issues.

Current Employee - Staff RN in Lee, FL
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Lee, FL

I have been working at Florida Cancer Specialists

Pros

The best reason for working here at my office are the absolute superb oncology nurses I work with. Each and everyone of us, in our entire office, go above and beyond for our patient's and their family.

Cons

Corporate does not feel we need a Director of Nursing to oversee nursing procedures, policy, concerns and complaints. I know many of my nursing colleagues feel the same. During our busy season we are under staffed. Understaffed means unsafe. Unsafe for patients and staff. Many patients have voiced that they have noticed a lot of not just nursing turnover in the past few years., but also in other departments.. This is primarily due to the extra added unnecessary stress on our staff in all departments.

Get a Director of Nursing on board that knows and understands the level of acuity of our patients, and the amount of staffing that each of our offices require to make a safer environment for both patient's and staff in all departments.

A Fast Growing Company That Cares About Patient Care

Current Employee - IT Department in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - IT Department in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Florida Cancer Specialists

Pros

FCS has given me lots of great opportunities in my 3 years here. Hard working, career focused people strive here, if you are looking for somewhere that you can sit comfortably and collect a paycheck without trying this isn't that kind of place. Any training or conferences I have requested to attend have been approved. Our office benefits from a family atmosphere. I have had the opportunity to meet many of the people in leadership and I honestly feel they put the patient first. In IT it's important to get access to new emerging technologies and methodologies; FCS has made considerable investments in this and I get access to these technologies allowing me to expand my experience. Vacation time is great.

Cons

The company has grown very fast and not all administrative departments have caught up yet, but they are working on it (HR, Accounting, Procurement).

Work on improving the working atmosphere for entry level positions.

Overall I had a great experience. I love my patients.

Current Employee - Medical Assistant in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Medical Assistant in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Florida Cancer Specialists full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You learn alot working for the company and you meet great people from all walks of life.

Cons

Getting attached to a patient. Recieving bad news

Treat your employees with dignity.

Even a Local Attorney Knew about the High Turnover and a Problematic Place to Work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naples, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naples, FL

I worked at Florida Cancer Specialists full-time (less than a year)

Pros

If you are a caring individual, this is a place where you can make a difference in a patient's life.

Cons

Hostile work environment, take your integrity and work some place else!
    Favoritism like I have never seen in a workplace. Very unprofessional management because they did not communicate with you unless you made a mistake. Only certain people were told of their mistakes, the chosen favorites could forget to schedule a chemo appointment, conduct their own personal business while at work and management looked the other way. Management will retaliate, not tell the truth, will actually make things up about an employee. So many people terminated by this company for made up reasons.

Treat employees fairly and all the same. Favoritism should not be tolerated. Antiquated check in and check out system. At least hire managers that have a college degree.

I worked at Florida Cancer Specialists full-time

Pros

Patients are so inspiring and grateful. Most of the doctors are easy to work with. Clean and well organized.

Cons

Poor management. Lots of micromanaging. Hard to get time off. I felt like a robot and the patients are treated like another number.

Talk to your staff

Poor Managment, Rude Supervisors

Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Tampa, FL

I worked at Florida Cancer Specialists full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Theres nothing that whant to make you work gor this company. Every person there are unhappy always complaining supervisors are rude and
    unappreciated. Managers hate their boss. Your coworkers give you the cold shoulder. Your to-do list is either painfully boring or terrifyingly long.

Cons

You dont have any saying the doctors they know all but all patients keep complaining for testing and treatment they have to do. They just see money they dont care for patients care. Humnana cut them for all the bad treatment and poor care. Ordering the most expensive treatment and testing for patients but patient can not ask questions or talk yo the doctors because it will bother them.

Change the way you treating employee change HR completly and your female supervisors for your mayor department. You should pay attention why people keep leaving your company.

Lack of Training and Personal Development = Frustration

Current Employee - Financial Counselor in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Financial Counselor in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Florida Cancer Specialists full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

From what I understand, they pay more than other local companies for the same job. Decent benefits, PTO, medical, dental, vision, disability, good match on 401K.

Cons

There is a huge gap between managers and staff. The word is the managers in the Managed Care department are even told by their VP not to get too friendly with staff. Maintaining professionalism is important, but just as important is making employees feel like they are a valuable part of the team. That is not the case in this company. Creativity and problem solving from subordinates is discouraged with statements like, "It's more complicated than that," or "I wish it were that simple," or "You wouldn't understand." People pursuing leadership positions are not given opportunities to demonstrate the qualities they already possess or trained to fit or "understand" the qualities the company is seeking.

Leadership needs much better training. Company would have happier, less fearful employees if communication was open. Transparency, honesty, and accountability at all levels would be a refreshing change.

It Could Be Worse

Current Employee - Patient Service Specialist
    Current Employee - Patient Service Specialist

I have been working at Florida Cancer Specialists full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good pay. Very Large Company, lots of locations, departments and positions. Floating, while at first I was not thrilled with the idea of having to cover in another location, the break from your seat can be nice. Floating is mandatory of all employees. Technology is ahead of most medical offices.

Cons

Management is on a power trip. LOTS of favoritism; while some get reprimanded others get a slap on the wrist. Double standard. NO TRAINING Department; you are thrown in the position. Expect to work hard with little/no appreciation. When they tell you all offices are run the same, it is a lie. Moving up is not as easy as they make it sound, there are a lot of HR rules that need to be changed.

Please create a training program that will help retain employees, and keep current employees from the added stress of training someone in addition to maintaining there workload with out the compensation and/or appreciation of added work. Keep a better eye on regional managers and office managers, they should be micro-managed.

Really good job

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Florida Cancer Specialists full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pt focused care. Mostly positive atmosphere. Professional work environment. Interesting work. Lots of learning opportunities. Catered lunch provided most days. Technology and software very current.

Cons

Micro-managed. Very little autonomy. Mediocre wages and terrible medical coverage.

Less expensive benefits and more variety of coverage options. Does not offer a cafeteria plan. Currently only offered very poor coverage at an astronomical price.

Unorganized poor management

Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Palm Harbor, FL
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Palm Harbor, FL

I worked at Florida Cancer Specialists full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Provide empathic care to patients

Cons

Terrible management unable to take time off to care for yourself

To big to have any knowledge about ethical values regarding staff