Florida Department of Children and Families

Updated October 6, 2014
Updated October 6, 2014
2.0

CEO

Lack of sufficient communication and support from upper management

Current Employee - Esss1 in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Esss1 in Miami, FL

I have been working at Florida Department of Children and Families full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits,
    paid time off
    flexibility
    good people
    good co workers who are hard workers

Cons

Miscommunications
    changes with out notice.
    admin does not care about its employees

Ask your employees for feedback

lots of work low pay

I worked at Florida Department of Children and Families

Pros

good benefits, flexible, nice people, good holiday time,

Cons

low pay, enormous work load

If you enjoy helping people at risk, then DCF is where you belong.

Former Employee - Senior Attorney
    Former Employee - Senior Attorney

I worked at Florida Department of Children and Families full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Helping Florida's poor children and hard-working families at risk is very rewarding work.

Cons

Too many self-centered people can be counted on to spoil everything for everyone.

Get rid of the pretenders who are more about personal power than helping poor people.

Good Place to work

I have been working at Florida Department of Children and Families full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very good office culture and work-life balance.

Cons

Low salaries and politics in upper management

Unprofessional Supervisors, Low Pay, High Stress

Former Employee - Economic Self Sufficiency Specialist I in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Economic Self Sufficiency Specialist I in Tampa, FL

I worked at Florida Department of Children and Families full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best part about working here are the government holidays and paid time-off. Every 2 weeks you get 4 hours of paid sick leave and 4 hours of paid annual leave. The people I worked with were friendly and had good intentions. Everyone who was hired wanted to help people.

Cons

Training to be a ESSI was lacking. We had 6 weeks of paid training where we were supposed to learn all the policy for food stamps, cash, and medicaid. For me, it was almost unbearable. My trainer was very very slow and at times had an attitude with the class. She wasted tons of class time as well. I did not feel prepared when I actually started the job.

Once you are done with training they expect you to learn at a fast pace. Gradually your caseload increases every week, until you feel completely overwhelmed. There are a bunch of different steps you have to do for each case, and the management measures everything you do or don't do. The computer programs we used are from the early 90s and very old. But instead of spending money to create a more efficient system, the government teaches you ways to work around all the glitches.

Some supervisors are nice and understanding, but there are some who are very unprofessional. Speed is a constant thing they push down your throat, but then they do case readings on your past work and write you up for mistakes. You are expected to be perfect, fast, and do lots of phone interviews. One thing I thought was ridiculous: you have to email your supervisor to clock in, when you leave for lunch, come back to lunch, and leave for the day. I was shocked the state couldn't get a HR clock-in program like ADP for employees, instead of all the emails.

Please, if you have a college degree or find repetition boring, do not work as an ESSI. You are overqualified and will not find it easy to swallow the nonsense from this job. Plus you will not make more than 27,000 a year. Many of my coworkers were on food stamps themselves and/or working second jobs to make ends meet.

Invest in updating the computer programs, so they speak to each other. It would save time.

One of the best jobs that I have had.

I worked at Florida Department of Children and Families

Pros

There is so Much to learn and so many great people to learn from. They worked well around the schedule of others.

Cons

Having so many different areas to potentially work with but only being able to work in one at a time.

Keep up the great work!

Overworked and Underpaid

Former Employee - Economic Self Sufficiency Specialist I in Plantation, FL
    Former Employee - Economic Self Sufficiency Specialist I in Plantation, FL

Pros

Great benefits, solid retirement package. Training was thorough and clear. Sometimes you do feel as if you're making a difference in the lives of Florida residents.

Cons

INCREDIBLY large amounts of work with a very small paycheck in return. You'll be worked like a slave and receive very little appreciation from upper management. Bosses are unprofessional (my former supervisor sold fake bags in her office) and disrespectful. Applicants can be rude and disrespectful and it's considered normal for them to swear at you while telling you how worthless you are at your job. Raise? What's that?? You're lucky if you receive a bonus. There's SLIGHT opportunity for growth but be warned, there's employers that have worked there for 20+ years who haven't even hit $40,000 yearly (this INCLUDES supervisors)!!

Up the pay, toss out the terrible management.

Terrible Supervisors, management is horrible.

I worked at Florida Department of Children and Families

Pros

ability to move up in company, state jobs

Cons

management, constantly on top of you for your numbers, terrible work environment,

Supportive and wonderful co-workers

Former Employee - , CPI/Court Unit in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - , CPI/Court Unit in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Florida Department of Children and Families as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Supportive and friendly co-workers from the investigators in the office (and there are around 60 Child Protective Investigators in Lee County's DCF office, so that's saying something). All investigators were very nice to interns and so many were more than willing to bring interns along to court, in the field and to other agencies during the workday. Also great experiences with clerical staff, county court staff and other service care providers that we would come into contact with on a daily and weekly basis. Supervisors I encountered are friendly and supportive to their investigators.

Cons

Case load is large, but has cut down in recent years due to a large hiring increase. A lot of work has to be done outside the normal 9-5 hours to reach families and investigate during non-traditional hours.

Invest in further hiring increases while maintaining good pay. The people who work here are wonderful and both they and the children involved in investigations deserve a lighter case load to investigate under such time restraints (45 day clearance).

Unprofessional leadership; No work/life balance

Former Employee - Child Protective Investigator in Lakeland, FL
    Former Employee - Child Protective Investigator in Lakeland, FL

Pros

Able to help families in need. Most parents are not abusing or neglecting their children, some are just financially poor or uneducated. Many are willing to receive services, and are afraid their children will be taken away when investigators visit. A good investigator can alleviate that fear if there is no immediate danger and actually help the family. It is rewarding to see families being strengthened, and knowing you are there to keep children safe.

Cons

The Cons unfortunately, outweigh the pros. There is no regard to case load. You work around the clock to keep case loads down and keep your head above water. I would work until 8 or 9 PM in the field, come home and work on my computer until after mid night- only to go in to work at 9 AM. The management tells you to flex out the over time, but if you do this you fall behind. The company owns you, even during vacation and sick time, you are still working. I would also say what's even worse than this is unprofessional leadership and poor work place ethic. Gossip in the work place is incredible, almost unbelievable. Management is irrational with expectations and has no regard to investigators being overloaded. People (including management) have left on FMLA mental health leave for over a month just to be able to recoup without penalty. Turn over is usually within 1-2 years

Tallahassee needs to limit cases to 12, maximum 15. Investigators can easily scale to 30 cases in a busy month. Do not accept cases that are not rational. Every circuit should have a day, night and weekend shift to organize work and caseload.