Florida Department of Corrections

Add Photos

Gene Hatcher

Correctional Officer

Correctional Officer (Former Employee) Ocala, FL

ProsStable job, good pay, excellent retirement

ConsDepends on prison that you work at

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your staff

State workers

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, generous leave and holidays with time in grade if in career service. However if a contractor to the state. Terrible benefits and excessive workload

ConsExcessive workload. Have to pay for required leave on holidays with earned leave. Painful entrance process

Advice to Senior ManagementTo main policy makers: get an idea! Quit treating staff like inmates

You Always Walk Alone.

Various (Former Employee) Tallahassee, FL

ProsExcellent benefits, field staff are generally easy to work with and understanding. Nearly unlimited earning potential for the incompetent and those that have been investigated by the Inspector General.

ConsHostile working environment with obvious who-you-know bias and a frustrating inability to think outside the box at nearly every level. Expect to be lied to constantly and enjoy empty promises and an inability to live up to your potential thanks to ridiculous roadblocks and a "We've always done it this way" mentality. The Good Old Boy system is alive and well in Central Office.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, not the snakes you pay $90,000+ to that copy others work or coast to a ridiculous salary on a family name. There are wonderful people that work for the Department of Corrections, stop treating them so poorly while the same names rise to the top, regardless of their ethics or any actual ability.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stay clear or get certified and run

ProsTraining, that's about it. Don't bother.

ConsEverything, pay is not worth the risk. Won't make any money till you hit major or better

May as well break the law before going to work there

Correctional Officer (Former Employee) Raiford, FL

ProsPaycheck did not bounce every two weeks.

ConsHostile work environment! No support to provide basic safety needs.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit, shot yourself, jump off a bridge, or anything else that will spare the public of your insanity.

I have enjoyed my time here at Lowell Correctional Institution. I have learned a lot and met a lot of great people.

Correctional Officer (Current Employee) Ocala, FL

ProsPlenty of opportunity for advancement, great benefits, great retirement plans

ConsVery few raises, very high stress

Florida Department of Corrections

GOC II (Current Employee) Tallahassee, FL

ProsIt was a good opportunity to learn about state government, to provide a public service.

ConsWith any government agency, you run into a lot of red tape and politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet tighter expectations; not only hold people accountable for not meeting expectations, but also find some sort of reward program (not just the chance of a promotion) to give employees something to work for (ie bureau employee of the month, etc.)

It has its good and bad days

Certified Correctional Officer (Former Employee)

ProsAs far as employment in the area, you really can't beat the pay and benefits if you lack any higher level education. The training is good but nothing really prepares you for what it really is like until you are actually working inside the gates. The culture is different than anything you have ever experienced or will ever experience again. When it comes right down to it, your coworkers are your brother and sisters, and you need the mentality that you are in this thing together. It can be stressful at times but rewarding at others.

ConsStressful job and you must try and beware of how it is affecting you and not be in denial of it. Work/Life Balance is not very good. You must work at keeping work at work, and home at home. The good ole' boy system is still alive and well. Many of those who are/were experienced are retired or gone. This leaves a huge gap for new people to learn best practices in the job. Benefits are constantly on the attack by budget cuts.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep seeking best practices from other institutions around the country and take note. Update technology. Boost morale by providing more mobility,training, etc. Bring back employee appreciation events.

Stable Job With Good Benefits

Correctional Officer (Current Employee) Pensacola, FL

ProsSteady pay, Good health coverage at good rates, and excellent retirement.

ConsLow Pay. Poor working conditions, under staffed, poor training.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your staff. Hire to capacity. Trainee positions should be hired before fulltime positions become available. Update training and make it more relevant.

Less Micro Managing

ProsYour time can be flexible, along as there is coverage. Accrual of sick and vacation leave is a benefit.

ConsUpper management tries to make themselves look good, but all they do is add more and more work to the people who actually do it. They don't listen to people who do the work. All it seems they care about are statistics.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people who do the work, not someone who is just trying to save their job

Worked for Florida Department of Corrections? Contribute to the Community!