Florida Department of Financial Services

Florida Department of Financial Services Reviews

Updated Mar 13, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Great to get your foot in the door

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Florida Department of Financial Services full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt is a great place to get your foot in the door and learn about the financial service industry. Excellent people to work with

ConsNot quite a set career trajectory

Don't make it a career

I have been working at Florida Department of Financial Services

ProsThey provide an excellent opportunity to understand employees rights. They also provide great benefits.

ConsThe pay is horrible. Most raises are granted every five years. This is not a company you would want to work for to make a profit.

Advice to Senior ManagementEliminate the waste. The department is top heavy.

Stable, safe, employment

Government Operations Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Florida Department of Financial Services full-time

ProsGood healthcare if you're single.

Pension is mediocre.

Don't have to take your work home with you.

Easy job.

ConsNo bonuses.

No raises (no, not even cost of living)

Very little chance for career advancement (wait for someone to die/retire)

They rely entirely too much on "on paper experience"

Training is a crash course, you learn on the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet fresh, young faces get some lower level management positions.

No stress whatsoever

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)
Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at Florida Department of Financial Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- low stress, great work environment, job security, decent benefits, management in my division is great - no micromanaging, they empower staff and communicate well

Consterrible, shockingly low pay, and absolutely no pay raises

Advice to Senior ManagementOkay, so there is never supposedly any money leftover for pay raises, ever. How about letting us work remotely every now and then, so that we can save money on fuel since we haven't had a raise in years?!

Government Service - what can i say?

Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at Florida Department of Financial Services full-time for more than 3 years

Prosaffordable benefits, fairly secure job

Conslow pay, constantly being thrown under the bus by politicians who personify us as state workers sucking at the teet of the hard working citizens of Florida

Advice to Senior Managementstand behind your people and get rid of the ones who are bad so we are not all termed as lazy and non-helpful. also, if you want young, talented people, make government service look good by providing ways to advance for promising employees.

Fun job, but salary was low. No raises in 7 years!

Criminal Investigator (Former Employee)
Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Florida Department of Financial Services full-time for more than a year

ProsFun job, work at own pace with little supervision.

ConsLow salary comparable to industry; no raises in 7 years...not even COLA!

New FDFS Employee

I have been working at Florida Department of Financial Services

ProsGreat People, Opportunity for advancement, open communication with mangement

ConsRelatively low pay (Compared to private industry) but that's to be expected working in state government

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job with creating a comfortable environment and culture for employees. The department could benefit from a higher influx of younger talent with new ideas and perceptions on how to do things.

Thankless Job

Senior Clerk (Former Employee)

I worked at Florida Department of Financial Services

ProsGood benefits. Once you're in it's hard to lose your job. Great place to work if you're a 'Good ole boy'

ConsManagement berates you for not meeting their expectations, but they fail to share their expectations. Expectations are constantly changing (but you're not told they changed until you failed to meet them). Incompetent co-workers are not written up or fired, and you're expected to carry their weight. No opportunities for raises or for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit worrying about impressing the division directors and elected officials over you, and do your job. Get rid of the garbage and reward your competent workers.

Great for experience, but salary increases are bleak

Examiner/Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Florida Department of Financial Services

ProsThey have a great benefits package. Also, with the vacation and sick leave policy, you begin accruing leave as soon as you begin employment there. While I believe my job there was worthwhile in that I served an important function, my role was sometimes extremely difficult, in that roles are not specifically outlined, and with a lack of proper training, employee morale quickly diminishes.

ConsBecause it is government work, it is so much of a beurocracy, which is neither effecient nor effective. Also my job involved so much travel, that having a life outside of this job was almost impossible. The reimbursement rates were a joke, so it is hard to justify having to use your own automobile to travel when you are not even breaking even on the whole thing!

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline processes! So many resources and much time is wasted doing things in an archaic way which is neither effecient nor effective

OK

Insurance Agent - Independent (Current Employee)

I have been working at Florida Department of Financial Services

ProsFree to schedule yourself as you like

Conshard to get quality leads and find quality clients

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a real job

Worked for Florida Department of Financial Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Florida Department of Financial Services reviews and ratings. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Florida Department of Financial Services employees.