Florida Department of Revenue

Updated May 24, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Renee Watters

Take the good with the bad.

Facilities Maintenance (Former Employee) West Vero Corridor, FL

ProsRelatively easy work, flexible scheduling and alternative work schedules allow for work/life balance, tuition waiver, benefits are actually pretty good compared with private industry. Travel and variety in work are pluses.

ConsGrowth stifled, insecure and unethical lower level supervisors. Professional development is not encouraged and there is no meaningful training for new or experienced employees. Insecure supervisors take it personally if you seek work somewhere else. New employee training is horrible. No sense of community-terrible morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementExecutive management trusts the lower-level supervisors in the field offices too much. A few of them are just plain dishonest (fortunately-these are exceptions). Work product quality-especially on refund cases should be scrutinized and trends analyzed to see if any patterns may exist surrounding certain case types in certain work groups.

Revenue Specialist

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsWorking with my team. The benefits are pretty good. Supervisor is flexible and the work schedule is generally M-F 8-5 with a four day option.

ConsThe pay is a joke. Promotions and bonuses are given to friends and relatives there isn't any real chance for advancement, the favoritism is ridiculous and when management pretends it doesn't happen is even more ludicrous!! Use this to move on to something better.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnjoying the work you do, will not fee your family. Senior Management doesn't consider the low pay as a problem because they're overpaid. The people who actually do the work are the ones who are left scrambling. Employee development is a joke, when the promotions are left for family and friends of management!!

Don't work here. Career killer.

Sales Tax Auditor (Current Employee)

ProsGood work-life balance, government job so they don't expect a lot out of you, easy to transfer between DOR offices if you wish.

ConsAWFUL pay, ineffective and inefficient management, tons of government red tape, no respect from industry peers, career killer - it will be very difficult to find a job outside of the government, no appreciation from management even though the auditors bring in literally millions upon millions of dollars.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you appreciate and pay your employees then the best employees will stay.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

You give what you get

Revenue Specialist II (Former Employee) Tallahassee, FL

Prosonly good thing about this company is the sometime approved overtime

Conseverything else about this company sucks

Advice to Senior Managementconsider payign your employees for the amount of work they take on daily. The pay sucks and no one i know has ever gotten a raise without being promoted or transferred to another department. No one can live off $25,000 a year

Good place to work with a few issues

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tallahassee, FL

ProsMy section is great. I have great co-workers and boss. Get time off whenever we want. Very flexible work schedule.

ConsPay is very low; Morale is low but I think that is from years of no pay raises by the Florida legislature and they also cut benefits significantly. I believe senior management is really trying to improve pay and benefits but their hands are tied. They are good people but in a no win situation. Need more professional development and training for staff. But they know that but can't do anything without a budget.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on improving morale in other ways than by pay increases since they will be few and far between with this Legislature and Governor.

You may not like it here.

Senior Clerk (Former Employee) Pensacola, FL

ProsDecent benefits and work hours.

ConsThere is a lot of micro-management there. They search for bad behavior and use people to engage others in personal conversations to bait them. There are plenty of fake personalities.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for the good in employees, not the bad. Change the way you treat people and you won't have so much turnover.

A good stepping stone for your career.

Tax Audit Supervisor (Current Employee) Coral Springs, FL

ProsWorking for the Department of Revenue, in the audit process, provides employees with marketable experience to further their career in the private sector. Individuals who hope to obtain a Masters degree should fully take advantage of the State Employee Tuition Waiver program. The work/life balance also provides employees enough time outside of work to study and sit for the CPA exam.

ConsAs with most governmental employment opportunities, the salary is subpar. This is slightly offset by the other benefits provided.

For state governement employment not bad overall

ProsAt the local level, very little micro managment. Telecommuting a huge plus!

ConsGoverment job! Low pay. No raise or bonus in 6 years.

Unable to grow!

Accountant (Former Employee) Tallahassee, FL

ProsWork was not difficult. Pay okay.

ConsLimited options regarding training and development.

Great place to launch your career

Tax Auditor (Former Employee)

Pros- Good training
    - Exposure that only a DOR employee can get
    - Flexible schedule

Cons- Relatively low pay
    - After a certain point, advancement is limited to people retiring/attrition

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more autonomy to employees, while expecting more work

Worked for Florida Department of Revenue? Contribute to the Community!