Florida Gulf Coast University Reviews

Florida Gulf Coast University President Wilson G. Bradshaw
Wilson G. Bradshaw

1. Communications Dept Teaching Assistant

I worked at Florida Gulf Coast University

Pros

Really enjoyed working with the students and the professors. Great experience in teaching and customer service.

Cons

Most of the Internships on campus are non paid.

2. Adjunct_biology lab instructor

I worked at Florida Gulf Coast University

Pros

relatively autonomous in-class, however you must follow common laboratory procedure across all classes- this is difficult when lab supplies are not on hand. direct supervisors are nice and understand the issues.

Cons

Majority of students are lack-luster and are just there for the degree, not the knowledge you gain in college. Laboratory and lecture materials did not follow a common schedule, which irritates students. Bad pay and little room for advancement

Advice to Management

Update your laboratory materials, make it more engaging and follow the materials taught in the lecture portion. Also, pay your adjuncts better, they'll do a better job if not having to work at several universities.

3. Good college job but is dead end

Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Florida Gulf Coast University

Pros

Flexible schedule, good clients, rewarding, good environment, fun staff, able to teach group fitness as well, you make your own schedule, you are your own boss

Cons

Not enough pay , no incentives to sell, managers never actually there for fitness, high manager and employee turnover, there is a pay cap of 13 dollars

Advice to Management

Trainer need incentives to work

5. Associate professor

Former Employee - Associate Professor in Estero, FL
    Former Employee - Associate Professor in Estero, FL

I worked at Florida Gulf Coast University

Pros

Fantastic Team of Management - Always encouraging and holding you to you goals. Best job I've ever had. Shouldn't have left!

Cons

Constant issues with available funds due to constant state cutbacks.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do best. The students and employees truly appreciate it.

6. IT Intern

I worked at Florida Gulf Coast University

Pros

Great Place to work. Staff and teachers were great to work with and learn from.

Cons

None that i have found.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

7. Working at FGCU as a student employee is one of the best experiences I've ever had in the work force.

I have been working at Florida Gulf Coast University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a college student, it is important to find employers that are understanding of your hectic class schedule. Since FGCU places a high premium on the success of their students, it's the ideal place to work. They are understanding of your schedule requirements, and they work with you to find a solution that is ideal for both parties. When it comes time to take final exams, requesting time off is not a problem. Also, working at FGCU allows you to gain experience that looks great on a resume and will put you ahead of the competition when it comes time to graduate and look for another job.

Cons

Some of the downsides of working at FGCU include ability to move up within the university. Although they promote from within often, the process is lengthy and there is a lack of available positions. Advancement is difficult when there aren't many positions to advance to. However, I don't think this problem is unique to FGCU--I think it's just a fact of life when you are looking to work for a university.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to keep doing what you're doing. I feel that supervisors understand the importance of being flexible and also allowing you to gain the experience you need to be successful.

8. professor

I have been working at Florida Gulf Coast University full-time

Pros

Great students - love opening their minds

Cons

Production versus learning - want generalists versus specialists

Not the best university to work for, but not the worst.

Former Employee - Professor
    Former Employee - Professor

I worked at Florida Gulf Coast University full-time

Pros

The university's location on Florida's Gulf coast, is nice, and FGCU has spent substantial time and money creating an attractive campus.

Cons

Instructor pay is far lower than similar universities in other parts of the country, and their no tenure and no employment contract policy means they can adjust pay at will, on the basis of the number of students attending class. This emphasis on quantity versus quality has a negative impact on teacher morale, as we were encouraged to overlook student learning and behavior issues in favor of keeping them "happy" so as to inflate retention numbers.

Advice to Management

FGCU has one of the highest instructor turnover rates in the South -- not because professors were fired, but because the top down / corporate model of education they employ leads to frustration with the system. Please return to the academic model of university management. Emphasize and support quality education -- not simple classroom numbers.

10. FGCU

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Florida Gulf Coast University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

6 free credit hours per semester for employees or family, the school is also gaining popularity and might be adding more positions

Cons

The pay is a lot lower than most other governmental agencies in the area. The university also makes employees pay to park on campus.

Thanks for the bullying

I worked at Florida Gulf Coast University

Pros

Lovely campus, green/environmental theme with lots of open space

Cons

I can only speak about the College of Education, where I was bullied by 2 female coworkers. I was regularly working 60-70 hours a week, including weekends, to meet performance objectives that kept changing. The job was not as it was represented to me when I accepted it. I tried to resolve the bullying issue with my boss, who had told me when the problems first cropped up that the bully had done this before to others who left, and then when he did nothing I filed a formal complaint. I waited 6 months and took my complaint "up the food chain" and it never was addressed. I was told that FGCU doesn't have a policy against bullying. I filed a complaint based on the creation of a "hostile work environment". Eventually I left to protect my mental health since FGCU preferred to allow the bullying to continue. I was also lied to about salary; I was hired at $20K less than I had been making and then discovered that the lead bully was making $30K more than I with roughly the same credentials. It is a very poorly run organization with horrible communication patterns. Very sad! That work experience has set me back career-wise by about 5 years.

Advice to Management

Look at the cost-effectiveness of retaining the bullies versus retaining employees with quality credentials and a stellar work ethic. Whistle-blowers shouldn't have to pay the price with their job.

RSS Feed </> Embed