Florida Gulf Coast University

Florida Gulf Coast University President Wilson G. Bradshaw
Wilson G. Bradshaw

FGCU

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Florida Gulf Coast University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

6 free credit hours per semester for employees or family, the school is also gaining popularity and might be adding more positions

Cons

The pay is a lot lower than most other governmental agencies in the area. The university also makes employees pay to park on campus.

Not the best university to work for, but not the worst.

Former Employee - Professor
    Former Employee - Professor

I worked at Florida Gulf Coast University full-time

Pros

The university's location on Florida's Gulf coast, is nice, and FGCU has spent substantial time and money creating an attractive campus.

Cons

Instructor pay is far lower than similar universities in other parts of the country, and their no tenure and no employment contract policy means they can adjust pay at will, on the basis of the number of students attending class. This emphasis on quantity versus quality has a negative impact on teacher morale, as we were encouraged to overlook student learning and behavior issues in favor of keeping them "happy" so as to inflate retention numbers.

FGCU has one of the highest instructor turnover rates in the South -- not because professors were fired, but because the top down / corporate model of education they employ leads to frustration with the system. Please return to the academic model of university management. Emphasize and support quality education -- not simple classroom numbers.

Thanks for the bullying

I worked at Florida Gulf Coast University

Pros

Lovely campus, green/environmental theme with lots of open space

Cons

I can only speak about the College of Education, where I was bullied by 2 female coworkers. I was regularly working 60-70 hours a week, including weekends, to meet performance objectives that kept changing. The job was not as it was represented to me when I accepted it. I tried to resolve the bullying issue with my boss, who had told me when the problems first cropped up that the bully had done this before to others who left, and then when he did nothing I filed a formal complaint. I waited 6 months and took my complaint "up the food chain" and it never was addressed. I was told that FGCU doesn't have a policy against bullying. I filed a complaint based on the creation of a "hostile work environment". Eventually I left to protect my mental health since FGCU preferred to allow the bullying to continue. I was also lied to about salary; I was hired at $20K less than I had been making and then discovered that the lead bully was making $30K more than I with roughly the same credentials. It is a very poorly run organization with horrible communication patterns. Very sad! That work experience has set me back career-wise by about 5 years.

Look at the cost-effectiveness of retaining the bullies versus retaining employees with quality credentials and a stellar work ethic. Whistle-blowers shouldn't have to pay the price with their job.

Nice, small school.

Former Intern - Research Assistant in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Intern - Research Assistant in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Florida Gulf Coast University as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Lay back, but you still have to perform.

Cons

Not many people doing research and founding is scarce.

Invest in your engineering and science departments .

Working at FGCU was overall very underwhelming and not a fulfilling experience in my professional career.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Florida Gulf Coast University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexibility. FGCU is a very easy going work environment. The campus is beautiful and still fairly small, so the pace of campus is still pretty slow.

Cons

Due to the fact that it is such a small campus still, the campus politics are very frustrating. There is also very little room to advance your career within the university. Most people need to find jobs elsewhere in order to move up the ladder.

Learn to value your younger employees. These are the people that are bringing in fresh, new ideas that will ultimately advance the university.

Easy going if you can deal with the politics.

I worked at Florida Gulf Coast University

Pros

Decent benefits, and you can pretty much slide along once (and if) you get in good with the management.

Cons

Lots of politics and covering up of things that are unpleasant or not quite kosher. There are lots of policies and on the outside it looks as if they are followed, but they are only followed when they benefit the university or management. If it is a matter of management/University vs. employee, the employee always loses, no matter how things need to be twisted to make that happen.

Value your employees more, and live the civility, and non-discrimination, diversity you preach.

Look elsewhere for employment while in grad school ... or look elsewhere for grad school.

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Florida Gulf Coast University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful campus.
    Friendly and helpful staff.
    Spirit of community.
    Incredible growth.

I enjoy working here. The work itself is very rewarding and the students are generally good to work with.

Cons

Low pay and compensation. I have a bachelors degree and work two jobs on campus. One is salary based per course, the other is hourly. When I do my job privately, I can make upwards of $60-75 per hour. On campus I make $11 per hour. I have no benefits, paid time off, or sick leave.

Constant restructuring. The university is new (started in the late nineties) and is constantly changing due to growth, but also due to state budget cutbacks. A few years ago I was hired for a full time job with an office, and nearly double my previous salary, then two semesters later they eliminated the position title due to budget cuts and combined it with some others and gave that job to a long time employee. I was forced to resume my old position, and my old salary. Thee will not create new positions despite needs because of budget limitations.

Nepotism, hand waving. Jobs go to and are retained by the in-crowd. In my dept, there are two people working in positions that should go to graduate student teachers (full time, with full benefits including tuition deferment) that have been there for 8+ years ... in a masters' degree program. I have been told on more than one occasion in regards to pay or working regulations "well, the policy is _____, but we'll see what we can do for you for now."

Ineffective Management. When I complain about these things to my immediate supervisor or department head, the usual response is "it comes from _____'s office, there's really nothing we can do about it." I've been there for 4 years and I've never had a performance review. At one point I was told there had been a complaint against me only after I asked why my hours had been cut back.

Lack of support and tools, inconsistency. I don't have the tools I need to do my job effectively. I can't get access to those tools because of budget limitations. Some departments have huge budgets and facilities. The Engineering department has huge labs, workshops, and tools for students to work with. The students in my department don't even have access to the software and computers they need.

Think about your employees when hiring and restructuring, especially employees that are also students. Put maximum terms on jobs meant for graduate students. Increase pay enough that it benefits me to work where I study, or include tuition deferment for all grad student employees, not just those receiving the full benefits package. Increase communication with regards to employee performance.

Stay away from NO TENURE UNIVERSITY!

I worked at Florida Gulf Coast University full-time

Pros

Location, location, location:) Met some great people in various schools and departments.

Cons

NO tenure + low salary = breeding grounds for mediocrity. Too many colleagues who came to FGCU because they would not get tenure in any other self-respecting university OR got it denied elsewhere. No job security. The experiment (i.e. University with NO tenure) failed. FGCU can attract new faculty in this hard economic environment, but it has difficulty retaining them. Administration does not value faculty (no merit-based raises), no resources for research, minimal support for travel and professional development. Plus some unethical people in the positions of power.

Institute TENURE system (that will never happen). Get rid of multi-year rolling contracts. Fire all deadwood assistant professors who stay at FGCU for 10+ years (in other places they would have been denied tenure and gone long time ago).

Teachin at a local University

Current Employee - Adjunst in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Adjunst in Fort Myers, FL

Pros

Love working with my students

Cons

It would be nice to work full-time

Need more full-time employees

It was a pleasure!

I worked at Florida Gulf Coast University part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I had a great boss, the hours were flexible (as needed), the environment was great for learning, and it helped me grow.

Cons

Actually, it's very difficult to think of any cons. Maybe the hot summers? The golf carts don't have air conditioning? (ha)

Keep doing great!