Florida Gulf Coast University

Updated July 30, 2014

3.1

Florida Gulf Coast University President Wilson G. Bradshaw
Wilson G. Bradshaw

Has lots of potential opportunities but requires initiative and drive for success.

Current Employee - Campus Recreation Employee  in  Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Campus Recreation Employee in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Florida Gulf Coast University

Pros

Smaller Campus atmosphere
    New additions/renovations continually underway
    Family-like workplace atmosphere

Cons

Compensation is below average.
    Sometimes drama filled.

Following through more with policies laid out.
    Take student input more on ideas/projects.

Look elsewhere for employment while in grad school ... or look elsewhere for grad school.

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant  in  Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Florida Gulf Coast University part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Beautiful campus.
    Friendly and helpful staff.
    Spirit of community.
    Incredible growth.

I enjoy working here. The work itself is very rewarding and the students are generally good to work with.

Cons

Low pay and compensation. I have a bachelors degree and work two jobs on campus. One is salary based per course, the other is hourly. When I do my job privately, I can make upwards of $60-75 per hour. On campus I make $11 per hour. I have no benefits, paid time off, or sick leave.

Constant restructuring. The university is new (started in the late nineties) and is constantly changing due to growth, but also due to state budget cutbacks. A few years ago I was hired for a full time job with an office, and nearly double my previous salary, then two semesters later they eliminated the position title due to budget cuts and combined it with some others and gave that job to a long time employee. I was forced to resume my old position, and my old salary. Thee will not create new positions despite needs because of budget limitations.

Nepotism, hand waving. Jobs go to and are retained by the in-crowd. In my dept, there are two people working in positions that should go to graduate student teachers (full time, with full benefits including tuition deferment) that have been there for 8+ years ... in a masters' degree program. I have been told on more than one occasion in regards to pay or working regulations "well, the policy is _____, but we'll see what we can do for you for now."

Ineffective Management. When I complain about these things to my immediate supervisor or department head, the usual response is "it comes from _____'s office, there's really nothing we can do about it." I've been there for 4 years and I've never had a performance review. At one point I was told there had been a complaint against me only after I asked why my hours had been cut back.

Lack of support and tools, inconsistency. I don't have the tools I need to do my job effectively. I can't get access to those tools because of budget limitations. Some departments have huge budgets and facilities. The Engineering department has huge labs, workshops, and tools for students to work with. The students in my department don't even have access to the software and computers they need.

Think about your employees when hiring and restructuring, especially employees that are also students. Put maximum terms on jobs meant for graduate students. Increase pay enough that it benefits me to work where I study, or include tuition deferment for all grad student employees, not just those receiving the full benefits package. Increase communication with regards to employee performance.

Stay away from NO TENURE UNIVERSITY!

I worked at Florida Gulf Coast University full-time

Pros

Location, location, location:) Met some great people in various schools and departments.

Cons

NO tenure + low salary = breeding grounds for mediocrity. Too many colleagues who came to FGCU because they would not get tenure in any other self-respecting university OR got it denied elsewhere. No job security. The experiment (i.e. University with NO tenure) failed. FGCU can attract new faculty in this hard economic environment, but it has difficulty retaining them. Administration does not value faculty (no merit-based raises), no resources for research, minimal support for travel and professional development. Plus some unethical people in the positions of power.

Institute TENURE system (that will never happen). Get rid of multi-year rolling contracts. Fire all deadwood assistant professors who stay at FGCU for 10+ years (in other places they would have been denied tenure and gone long time ago).

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Teachin at a local University

Current Employee - Adjunst  in  Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Adjunst in Fort Myers, FL

Pros

Love working with my students

Cons

It would be nice to work full-time

Need more full-time employees

Dead End.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Florida Gulf Coast University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Awesome benefit options (though they have been dropping lately due to the governor.)
    -Really nice staff
    -Easy to meet people and make friendships

Cons

-No real room for growth. I had to switch departments in order to move from Part-time to Full-time, and know I will have to do it again if I ever want to get a better job.
    -Very widespread acceptance of a "good old boys" mentality wherein open positions will be posted but then rigged to be given to friends. I lost out on a position once because another person running for it had known the people on the hiring committee for years before I'd even started working here (despite the job requirements listing the need for a degree that I had and she did not.)
    -No promotions unless someone quits, because they don't fund new positions.
    -The university also doesn't fund promotions (even if you aren't being replaced) OR raises. The only time I've had a raise in my salary was when the governor took out 3% more of our pay for retirement and the school was nice enough to give everyone a 2% raise to help compensate. (I'll give them that, as it was a very nice gesture that they did not have to make.)
    -President makes over $300,000 and gets a raise worth twice my salary each year, and they won't give anyone who isn't a director or dean a raise. We don't even get a Christmas bonus or anything. We even had to fire a lot of part-time workers this year because of state budget cuts, but his raise alone could have saved at least half of those jobs.
    -Workers are paid below the standard for their chosen field in some departments. There is also a wide gap between faculty pay. Some faculty barely make $350,000 while others are paid over $100,000. No tenure also makes it hard for many to accept such low pay for their skills.

*********Half the school is run by workers who are not students, some even in their 40s and 50s, who are stuck as part-time employees without benefits, who work full-time hours, and they will never see their positions made full-time. They get paid less than full-time workers and are never offered benefits, regardless of how long they hold these positions. Beware the job classification OPS. It means you will be a part-time, hourly employee with no benefits, no sick leave, no vacation time, and essentially no future.

Start showing your workers that you value them with actual value. Giving us free food four times a year does not count as compensation for good work. If we do well we should be able to be rewarded with a raise. Otherwise, evaluations don't feel like a chance to see we've done a good job and be rewarded, but just feel like a noose that we're constantly trying to avoid being hanged by. If the only thing that can come out of employee evaluations is the determination over whether or not you're going to be fired, there's really no incentive to do better than average. I've been here less than ten years and the lack of encouragement from upper management has already burnt me out. It's nice to hear you say I did well, but it would be even nicer if I could SHOW something for all the hard work I've been doing for years.

Excellent place to work and study.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Florida Gulf Coast University

Pros

FGCU is located in beautiful Fort Myers, FL. FGCU is an up-and-coming University, and will surely grow into a prestigious school.

Cons

There are no real cons to working for FGCU. Parking has been an issue in the past, so you may have to walk a little ways before reaching your office.

FGCU is a place where most people come to work when they are already retired resulting in lazy performance.

Current Employee - Assistant Professor  in  Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Florida Gulf Coast University

Pros

Lower expectations for performance compared to other universities. If you plan correctly, you can show up for work do your job and go home without being bothered.

Cons

The no tenure approach allows professors to stay employed despite lack of performance. There are many professors who are there to get an extra easy income while collected their retirement pay from previous jobs. The retirement attitude reflects in the work productivity of many professors.

You get what you pay for.

Good collegial feel among colleagues

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant  in  Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Florida Gulf Coast University

Pros

Good location, friendly people, casual atmosphere, easy parking, easy to find lunch. Colleagues were friendly and helpful, shared ideas easily. Many students were enjoyable to be around.

Cons

Many students do not care to actually learn, but that could be an issue of this generation. Inconsistent experience depending on which professor you teach for.

Won't get rich

I have been working at Florida Gulf Coast University full-time

Pros

State job = security (mostly)
    High energy atmosphere
    Decent amount of vacation time earned (if you can get a chance to use it!!)

Cons

Mediocre pay scale
    Difficult to move up the ranks

Reward employees who are conscientious hard workers.

Great benefits; mediocre environment

I have been working at Florida Gulf Coast University full-time

Pros

Health insurance is cheap and has great coverage; A&P accumulate a lot of sick and vacation leave ; 6 free credits a semester;

Cons

University is stagnating and becoming bland in an attempt to catch up to the big boys in the state (UF, FSU); was once a tight knit campus that favored internal candidates, now there is an over reliance on hiring from the outside, this is reducing the "feel" of the campus and making it boring and predictable; uninspired leadership that is afraid to take a stand or be truly innovative, current leadership only wishes to follow in the shadows of what has been done before and FGCU is "the last one to the party" of many trends in higher ed.

Dare to innovate, take a chance, and don't be worried if it isn't perfect the first time.

Worked for Florida Gulf Coast University? Contribute to the Community!