Florida Hospital Orlando Reviews

I've been here a while

Current Employee - MIS Employee Non-leadership in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - MIS Employee Non-leadership in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Florida Hospital Orlando

Pros

CEO Lars Houmann is a fantastic person. FH spends a lot of time and effort promoting the mission to "Extend the healing ministry of Christ". It is a faith based organization. I have been fortunate that most of my career has been under fantastic leadership. With the exception of one person, every immediate supervisor and most of the rest of leadership has made me feel like they have my best interest at heart. Benefits are pretty good. Should be voted one of the best places to work in IT. FH does not have all of the gimmicks that would get them on the list. Just an overall sincere group of people.

Cons

FH is big so you will have some circumstances where someone does not feel well treated.

Most of the complaints seem to come from clinical staff. They work so hard and it's very demanding.

2. Great

Current Employee - Patient Care Technician in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Patient Care Technician in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Florida Hospital Orlando

Pros

Flexibility of Hoursthat you may work.

Cons

long hours to deal with

n/a

3. Good Company to Start At

Current Employee - Intern in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Intern in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Florida Hospital Orlando

Pros

Good work-life balance, usually short workdays every Friday for non-clinical workers. Seems like people in the lower levels can move up pretty quickly.

Cons

Harder to advance in the upper levels of management because people tend to stick around. They also don't like to fire people, so they end up just getting shifted around.

Keep up the good work! The hospital is doing really well compared with other hospitals, especially other not-for-profits, and keep expanding.

5. One of the largest employers in state of Florida

I have been working at Florida Hospital Orlando

Pros

-Largest employer in the state of Florida
    -Benefits packages
    -People

Cons

-Too conservative
    -changes in management
    -organization
    -too overwhelming

Organization and find some passionate and experienced people to run the marketing department.

6. Florida Hospital more pros than cons

I have been working at Florida Hospital Orlando

Pros

Very flexible hours, good pay and benefits, good recognition and praise for successful and beneficial actions, understanding supervisors, and friendly coworkers

Cons

The major issue I have faced by working at Florida Hospital Orlando is dealing with the morning and evening traffic conditions as I travel to and from work.

Leadership is very good in my area at Florida Hospital Orlando, Supervisors are easy to talk to and are very understanding and willing to work with you.

7. Florida Hosital

Current Employee - Certified Nurse Assistant in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Certified Nurse Assistant in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Florida Hospital Orlando

Pros

One of the most impressive reasons to work at Florida Hospital, Orlando, was the fact that the main focus of the company, the original organization, taught and supported treating employees very well with satisfaction results which allowed for happy employees which resulted in happy patient care.

Cons

With the management level today, the left hand is not aware of the right hand. There are far too many chiefs and not enough indians to do the work properly. Florida Hospital is all concerned with a onesided issue that that is of the dollar, which is fine, however, when employees are disgruntled, the patient care goes down because the patients are very aware of what is happening thus resulting in lower patient satisfaction scores. That is the bottom line.

Pay attention to what your staff is saying, not the staff of upper management, but the lower level staff that is supporting the upper management. To have a firm foundation, you must have employees that are happy, trusting of their upper management, and willing to go the extra mile for patient satisfaction.

8. Pay needs to improve greatly

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Maitland, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Maitland, FL

I have been working at Florida Hospital Orlando

Pros

Work half days on Friday

Cons

Pay is not very competitive

Pay employees more

Healing vs. Money: It is too close to call.

Current Employee - Infection Preventionist in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Infection Preventionist in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Florida Hospital Orlando

Pros

Some positions offer sign on and relocation bonuses. They offer a competative tuition reimbursement plan and even have an accredeted college of health sciences on site. The work experience varies greatly depending where you work. If you have a good boss and good leadership they have a lot of latitude to make your experience fair and fulfilling. Annual bonuses are paid to each employee.

Cons

Personally, I feel the facility can be very hypocritical considering their message is a Christian one. If it is a matter of money, the money comes before the people. Patients are even asked for their co-pay as they lie in a bed in the ED awaiting treatment. Employee who shavre the the faith on which the facility is founded achieve quicker promotions and achieve higher levels of management than those who do not share that faith. In my experience, exempt employees have been made to work double and sometimes triple workloads which can put their average hours per week above 60. Non exempt employees were made to work off the clock. Favoritism was clear, and if you did not fit in you could be pushed out. It was made very clear that one was under a "right to work" situation and this could constantly make one feel under the gun to keep any negative feelings to themselves. Numerous medical professionals in the community have voiced the fact that FH has been very quick to terminate employees who were ill or under trying family situations rather than trying to work it out with them. Again, this can vary greatly from department to department.

Do everything you can to find out what is actually happening on the front lines of the facility. Realize that management over those front line areas are going to make everything seem just fine and sometimes even direct employess not to say anything negative. Employees know that it takes money to keep any organization afloat and prospering, but this should not be at the expense of patient care or fairness to employees.

10. Florida Hospital, equal opportunities?...

Current Employee - Assistant Nurse Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Nurse Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Florida Hospital Orlando

Pros

Good public reputation, skilled workforce. Committment to providing quality, evidence based outcomes. Industry accepted nurse patient ratios. Good working environment, pleasant facilities. Long tenure of employees.

Cons

Promotions within the Childrens hospital are not made available to all equally qualified staff....." if the face fits"
    A tendency to try and " fix issues" after the fact, not employing good strategies to prevent them in the first place. Environmental issues, lack of recycling, huge wastage, lack of forethought regarding the environmental impact of waste from such a large facility. Very large facility, becoming a "less personal" place to work.

To reassess the upper management strategies within the Childrens Hospital. to provide promotion opportunities to all qualified candidates.

11. For the time being, I belong at Florida Hospital South Radiology.

Current Employee - Enterprise Assistant Coordinator in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Enterprise Assistant Coordinator in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Florida Hospital Orlando

Pros

I feel at home with Florida Hospital South Radiology. I know how to do my job well, and in return, management does not micro-manage my actions. I am paid fairly, and although I have seen salaries at Orlando Health range higher, I have more security with this hospital. I am treated like family by many of my co-workers, the radiology staff, as well as the radiologists. I find them all incredibly pleasant to spend a little of my time with on a weekly basis.

Cons

I do get the feeling that even if I do my job perfectly for years, I will not advance unless I actively apply at higher positions within the hospital. Management does not promote employees, but instead gives them better job security. This is great for those who do not like change, but the hunt for a better job within the same organization is not easy. Many of my co-workers have been in the exact same position for 10-25 years.
    On the plus side, Florida Hospital reimburses most if not all of tuition for full time employees. In this time I am capable of starting and finishing pre-med with the security that I will keep my job throughout. This is a good feeling.

Instead of giving constant rewards (such as $55 for Thanksgiving, and an abundance of other nifty bonuses throughout the year), give them promotions. The job can feel stagnant unless you have the firm decision to advance yourself to a higher place.

Florida Hospital Orlando Photos