Florida Hospital Orlando

Updated November 14, 2014
3.5

Florida Hospital Orlando President & CEO Lars Houmann
Lars Houmann

Pros
  • Good work-life balance, usually short workdays every Friday for non-clinical workers (in 3 reviews)

• It is a faith based organization (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Abused by physicians but no support from upper management (in 2 reviews)

• Some pharmacy technician (full-time employees) tend to abuse the volunteers (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Pay needs to improve greatly

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Maitland, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Maitland, FL

I have been working at Florida Hospital Orlando

Pros

Work half days on Friday

Cons

Pay is not very competitive

Pay employees more

Healing vs. Money: It is too close to call.

Current Employee - Infection Preventionist in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Infection Preventionist in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Florida Hospital Orlando

Pros

Some positions offer sign on and relocation bonuses. They offer a competative tuition reimbursement plan and even have an accredeted college of health sciences on site. The work experience varies greatly depending where you work. If you have a good boss and good leadership they have a lot of latitude to make your experience fair and fulfilling. Annual bonuses are paid to each employee.

Cons

Personally, I feel the facility can be very hypocritical considering their message is a Christian one. If it is a matter of money, the money comes before the people. Patients are even asked for their co-pay as they lie in a bed in the ED awaiting treatment. Employee who shavre the the faith on which the facility is founded achieve quicker promotions and achieve higher levels of management than those who do not share that faith. In my experience, exempt employees have been made to work double and sometimes triple workloads which can put their average hours per week above 60. Non exempt employees were made to work off the clock. Favoritism was clear, and if you did not fit in you could be pushed out. It was made very clear that one was under a "right to work" situation and this could constantly make one feel under the gun to keep any negative feelings to themselves. Numerous medical professionals in the community have voiced the fact that FH has been very quick to terminate employees who were ill or under trying family situations rather than trying to work it out with them. Again, this can vary greatly from department to department.

Do everything you can to find out what is actually happening on the front lines of the facility. Realize that management over those front line areas are going to make everything seem just fine and sometimes even direct employess not to say anything negative. Employees know that it takes money to keep any organization afloat and prospering, but this should not be at the expense of patient care or fairness to employees.

Florida Hospital, equal opportunities?...

Current Employee - Assistant Nurse Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Nurse Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Florida Hospital Orlando

Pros

Good public reputation, skilled workforce. Committment to providing quality, evidence based outcomes. Industry accepted nurse patient ratios. Good working environment, pleasant facilities. Long tenure of employees.

Cons

Promotions within the Childrens hospital are not made available to all equally qualified staff....." if the face fits"
    A tendency to try and " fix issues" after the fact, not employing good strategies to prevent them in the first place. Environmental issues, lack of recycling, huge wastage, lack of forethought regarding the environmental impact of waste from such a large facility. Very large facility, becoming a "less personal" place to work.

To reassess the upper management strategies within the Childrens Hospital. to provide promotion opportunities to all qualified candidates.

For the time being, I belong at Florida Hospital South Radiology.

Current Employee - Enterprise Assistant Coordinator in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Enterprise Assistant Coordinator in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Florida Hospital Orlando

Pros

I feel at home with Florida Hospital South Radiology. I know how to do my job well, and in return, management does not micro-manage my actions. I am paid fairly, and although I have seen salaries at Orlando Health range higher, I have more security with this hospital. I am treated like family by many of my co-workers, the radiology staff, as well as the radiologists. I find them all incredibly pleasant to spend a little of my time with on a weekly basis.

Cons

I do get the feeling that even if I do my job perfectly for years, I will not advance unless I actively apply at higher positions within the hospital. Management does not promote employees, but instead gives them better job security. This is great for those who do not like change, but the hunt for a better job within the same organization is not easy. Many of my co-workers have been in the exact same position for 10-25 years.
    On the plus side, Florida Hospital reimburses most if not all of tuition for full time employees. In this time I am capable of starting and finishing pre-med with the security that I will keep my job throughout. This is a good feeling.

Instead of giving constant rewards (such as $55 for Thanksgiving, and an abundance of other nifty bonuses throughout the year), give them promotions. The job can feel stagnant unless you have the firm decision to advance yourself to a higher place.

Florida Hospital bottom line is the budget over patient safetly.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Florida Hospital Orlando

Pros

In this economy just thankful to have a job.

Cons

The nursing staff is completely overworked and I would say underpayed. I feel safety for the patients is a concern. Since this is my first nursing job I don't know if it is like this at every hospital but if it is pretty depressing. The company is pretty skimpy on the benefits package and vacation time. For instance you have to be there 5 years to be vested for retirement benefit purposes.
    Management doesn't appreciate their employees as far as actions, only words.

Quit being so budget conscious and get enough staff to take care of your patients properly. Stick up for your staff and get your heads out of the sand.

Internship Experience

I worked at Florida Hospital Orlando as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Learned plenty, actually got to write press releases and blogs and felt involved in the media team versus just a "filer or coffee getter." I also was able to chauffeur media around the hospital, for instance, if Disney wanted to come do a story on the Disney Children's wing at the hospital I was responsible for picking them up at the front desk and staying with them until they left but also overseeing their experience at the hospital and filing the paperwork (such as releases to have children and their stories produced and published).

Cons

My internship was just three days a week, I almost wish it had been more!

It is a great work place

I have been working at Florida Hospital Orlando full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- benefits.
     - work like balance

Cons

- should be more flexible for non clinical jobs

Florida Hospital -- a great place to work

I have been working at Florida Hospital Orlando

Pros

Work/life balance, faith-based mission is lived, not just preached, helping heal others

Cons

Heavy workload -- sometimes exceeds 60 hours a week.

years of religious intimidation

Former Employee - Registered Nurse
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse

I worked at Florida Hospital Orlando

Pros

It's a job,close to the metro area.Health care coverage is available,not the best and expensive even if you use their own facilities.

Cons

Understaffing.Both by ratio and by experience level. New grads placed in the critical care areas with no experience.Many mistakes and unfortunate outcomes. FH does their own Worker's Comp and utilizes their own doctors on staff.Cards are all stacked in their favor.Doctors will lie about an employees injuries at work or simply say the injuries occurred outside the workplace to protect the hospital.Why?Revenue.They each scratch each others back.

Organize and stand up for what is right.Expose these people for what they are. Organize employees to form a union.

Florida Hospital is all about the public's perception of them, not the reality behind the front door.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Florida Hospital Orlando

Pros

This is an employer who offers so so benefits to their rank and file but no assistance whats so ever to those speakers of other languages or to those who do not have computer access in their private lives..

Cons

The rank and file who are of low income are suppose to manage their benefits, time off and required education on line but are not offered access to the internet at the job and are unable to afford it for their home. Many of these rank and file are not computer savy and therefore need training to access their paycheck stub etc.

Stop spending multi millions of dollars on new building you do not need and start utilizing what you already own.

Florida Hospital Orlando Photos