Florida Hospital Orlando

Updated September 9, 2014
3.5

Florida Hospital Orlando President & CEO Lars Houmann
Lars Houmann

Florida Hospital bottom line is the budget over patient safetly.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Florida Hospital Orlando

Pros

In this economy just thankful to have a job.

Cons

The nursing staff is completely overworked and I would say underpayed. I feel safety for the patients is a concern. Since this is my first nursing job I don't know if it is like this at every hospital but if it is pretty depressing. The company is pretty skimpy on the benefits package and vacation time. For instance you have to be there 5 years to be vested for retirement benefit purposes.
    Management doesn't appreciate their employees as far as actions, only words.

Quit being so budget conscious and get enough staff to take care of your patients properly. Stick up for your staff and get your heads out of the sand.

Internship Experience

I worked at Florida Hospital Orlando as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Learned plenty, actually got to write press releases and blogs and felt involved in the media team versus just a "filer or coffee getter." I also was able to chauffeur media around the hospital, for instance, if Disney wanted to come do a story on the Disney Children's wing at the hospital I was responsible for picking them up at the front desk and staying with them until they left but also overseeing their experience at the hospital and filing the paperwork (such as releases to have children and their stories produced and published).

Cons

My internship was just three days a week, I almost wish it had been more!

It is a great work place

I have been working at Florida Hospital Orlando full-time for more than a year

Pros

- benefits.
     - work like balance

Cons

- should be more flexible for non clinical jobs

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Florida Hospital -- a great place to work

I have been working at Florida Hospital Orlando

Pros

Work/life balance, faith-based mission is lived, not just preached, helping heal others

Cons

Heavy workload -- sometimes exceeds 60 hours a week.

years of religious intimidation

Former Employee - Registered Nurse
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse

I worked at Florida Hospital Orlando

Pros

It's a job,close to the metro area.Health care coverage is available,not the best and expensive even if you use their own facilities.

Cons

Understaffing.Both by ratio and by experience level. New grads placed in the critical care areas with no experience.Many mistakes and unfortunate outcomes. FH does their own Worker's Comp and utilizes their own doctors on staff.Cards are all stacked in their favor.Doctors will lie about an employees injuries at work or simply say the injuries occurred outside the workplace to protect the hospital.Why?Revenue.They each scratch each others back.

Organize and stand up for what is right.Expose these people for what they are. Organize employees to form a union.

Florida Hospital is all about the public's perception of them, not the reality behind the front door.

I have been working at Florida Hospital Orlando

Pros

This is an employer who offers so so benefits to their rank and file but no assistance whats so ever to those speakers of other languages or to those who do not have computer access in their private lives..

Cons

The rank and file who are of low income are suppose to manage their benefits, time off and required education on line but are not offered access to the internet at the job and are unable to afford it for their home. Many of these rank and file are not computer savy and therefore need training to access their paycheck stub etc.

Stop spending multi millions of dollars on new building you do not need and start utilizing what you already own.

No more an employee friendly place

I have been working at Florida Hospital Orlando

Pros

This was once a haven for medical professionals in central florida. But over the last few years, everything has been turned upside down.

Cons

- PBS (a kind of incentive) system has been removed. This was a great encouragement for employees. Not anymore
    - No more Sign on bonus
    - No more Relocation bonus
    - WEEK END DIFFERENTIAL WILL BE REMOVED NEXT MONTH
    - Supplies are restricted.
    - Even a small medical leave may affect your job
    - management is desperate to reduce staff, without actually lay them off. All these sly measures are tactics to layoff.

In the name of Non-Profit, the hospital has squeezing the energy from employees by all possible means. Salaries have dropped down drastically in the last 2 years. The economy can never be blamed for it, because the patient inflow to the hospital has increased over the years and so is the income to the hospital. But the economy is used a disguise to cut salaries and is a means of silently layoff the employees.

The company may save a few dollars now. But in the long run, you lose loyalty and love. This can affect the way employees behave and work.

Hospital State of Mind

Former Employee - Walking Assistance
    Former Employee - Walking Assistance

I worked at Florida Hospital Orlando

Pros

Love working with Patients and co-workers

Cons

Having no breaks and lunch is too short

Give Kudos for people who get it

Manager/Director rating

I have been working at Florida Hospital Orlando

Pros

Some Managers can be outstanding.

Cons

Many managers/directors are terrible in direction, communication,leadership and overall mentoring.

Train your management/directors/leaders in servant leadership. Be transparent - practice what you preach.

Great organization. Love my job. Zero complaints.

Current Employee - Human Resources
    Current Employee - Human Resources

I have been working at Florida Hospital Orlando

Pros

I cannot speak for all departments, but I work on a very cohesive team that supports a spiritual environment and is an advocate for a work/life balance. I’ve noticed as a whole, Florida Hospital and their employees care about their patients and they care for one another. Just this week, a group of employees started a prayer meeting after our morning Energizer and we were able to connect to each another’s families through fellowship. Both my manager and director maintain an open-door policy and try to include staff on major decisions as often as possible. Also, we are encouraged to grow professionally by obtaining certifications, pursuing higher education, and taking time for job enrichment.

Cons

I do not have any arguments against Florida Hospital, but after talking to several people in my department, they have expressed a desire for paid maternity leave and expanded parking at a handful of Florida Hospital locations.

I would ask senior management to continue doing a number of things that employees appreciate like free health screenings, employee engagement celebrations, and merchant discounts. I would also ask them to continue expanding our Internal Communications to stay up-to-date on what’s a happening at all seven hospital campuses. Additionally, I would like to commend senior leadership when they are visible and walk the halls. I’ve found that my department feels more connected and engaged when we see our leaders.

Worked for Florida Hospital Orlando? Contribute to the Community!