Florida Hospital Reviews

Reset
3.8
Florida Hospital President & CEO Lars Houmann
Lars Houmann

Pros
  • Lots of room to grow your career in just about any professional field (in 3 reviews)

• Christian based Hospital, but great diversity in workers (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • There was no support and no help from anyone and absolutely no training (in 3 reviews)

• you do way too much work and you get paid less than theme parks (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Excellent experience

Pros

East is family base hospital, very close net. I enjoy working with my team, we all work together with excellent team work.

Cons

There is nothing I can see for improvement, we all are working very well and we take excellent care of our patients

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Florida Hospital Response

Aug 3, 2015 – Recruiter

That's great to hear!

2. For the time being, I belong at Florida Hospital South Radiology.

Current Employee - Enterprise Assistant Coordinator in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Enterprise Assistant Coordinator in Orlando, FL

Pros

I feel at home with Florida Hospital South Radiology. I know how to do my job well, and in return, management does not micro-manage my actions. I am paid fairly, and although I have seen salaries at Orlando Health range higher, I have more security with this hospital. I am treated like family by many of my co-workers, the radiology staff, as well as the radiologists. I find them all incredibly pleasant to spend a little of my time with on a weekly basis.

Cons

I do get the feeling that even if I do my job perfectly for years, I will not advance unless I actively apply at higher positions within the hospital. Management does not promote employees, but instead gives them better job security. This is great for those who do not like change, but the hunt for a better job within the same organization is not easy. Many of my co-workers have been in the exact same position for 10-25 years. On the plus side, Florida Hospital reimburses most if not all of tuition for full time employees. In this time I am capable of starting and finishing pre-med with the security that I will keep my job throughout. This is a good feeling.

Advice to Management

Instead of giving constant rewards (such as $55 for Thanksgiving, and an abundance of other nifty bonuses throughout the year), give them promotions. The job can feel stagnant unless you have the firm decision to advance yourself to a higher place.

3. Florida Hospital more pros than cons

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Pros

Very flexible hours, good pay and benefits, good recognition and praise for successful and beneficial actions, understanding supervisors, and friendly coworkers

Cons

The major issue I have faced by working at Florida Hospital Orlando is dealing with the morning and evening traffic conditions as I travel to and from work.

Advice to Management

Leadership is very good in my area at Florida Hospital Orlando, Supervisors are easy to talk to and are very understanding and willing to work with you.

I've been here a while

Current Employee - MIS Employee Non-leadership in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - MIS Employee Non-leadership in Orlando, FL

Pros

CEO Lars Houmann is a fantastic person. FH spends a lot of time and effort promoting the mission to "Extend the healing ministry of Christ". It is a faith based organization. I have been fortunate that most of my career has been under fantastic leadership. With the exception of one person, every immediate supervisor and most of the rest of leadership has made me feel like they have my best interest at heart. Benefits are pretty good. Should be voted one of the best places to work in IT. FH does not have all of the gimmicks that would get them on the list. Just an overall sincere group of people.

Cons

FH is big so you will have some circumstances where someone does not feel well treated.

Advice to Management

Most of the complaints seem to come from clinical staff. They work so hard and it's very demanding.

It has been wonderful - lots of opportunities for advancement if you take the initiative!

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Orlando, FL

Pros

It is one of the largest hospital systems in the US, so there are always lots of positions that need to be filled. You can start as a housekeeper or patient tech, and after a year's employment the hospital will help pay your education so you can advance your career. In the meantime, there are lots of free online CBL's - computer-based learning modules. They also have their own FH College of Health Sciences, which is fully accredited. EMR across the board - minimal use of paper charts. The doctors are currently switching over to computerized ordering, so it's much easier to read the orders, no handwriting to translate! I love to learn new things, so in my 10 years here I have been been trained in various areas: ACLS, PALS, PICC certified, Sunport, Cerner and other hospital software - all free of charge. When I wanted to go back to school full-time for my MSN, leadership helped me to find a part-time position so I could remain with FH. You see many employees encourage their friends and families to come to work at FH. And of course, we are in Orlando - great weather and close to Disney, Universal, Sea World, and Legoland is coming this fall.

Cons

They are a very large organization, so like a large ship, changes in direction can be slow, but this is the same with every large business. You need to actively seek out opportunities - they will not be placed in your lap. If you have initiative, take the time to look at the employee newsletter, intranet, and watch the job openings for new opportunities. If you want to make a suggestion, fill out a SHARE card or go to a town hall meeting. When I worked in leadership, I know we took staff suggestions very seriously, even if we couldn't always implement them. They are a faith-based organization, so prayer before meetings is standard. FH's Mission is "Extending the Healing Ministry of Christ". FH is a branch of Adventist Health Care, which was founded by the SDA - Seventh Day Adventists. However, I am Catholic and not particularly religious, and I never felt their religion was forced upon me. Most upper leadership are members of the SDA church, so if you want to be a VP or CEO, you might want to look into converting - LOL. But middle management and staff is much more diverse, so you can be a nurse manager and an atheist and there will not be an issue. They do not hire LPN's and it can be difficult for GN's (newly graduated RN's) to get a job unless you have a BSN. They are also phasing out Patient Tech positions on many of the units. But apply anyway, because once you get hired the opportunities for growth are there. Temporary staffing is TERRIBLE! Don't do it!!! FH switched to S----- Staffing, a single agency-manger company about 2 years ago to improve efficiency and make it easier for the units to get nurses. Almost all agencies must go through them to staff nurses. Great idea, but unfortunately S----- Staffing has argued with and underpaid every major staffing agency in the Orlando area, so most agencies will not staff FH anymore. If you do use them, be warned - you will have a mandatory 6 month wait to get hired and they constantly underpay the agency nurses. If you bill for 36 hours they will only pay you for 34.5 hours, stupid stuff like that. I think HR is looking into that now, so hopefully it might change soon.

Advice to Management

Add an LPN to RN transition track program to the College of Science, there is a great demand in the Central Florida area. Get rid of S----- Staffing and hire a new agency-manger or go back to using multiple agencies. Otherwise, I still work for FH and plan to stay until I retire. I have been very happy here and have made many friends, and would never go anywhere else!

PRN Pay

Current Employee - Radiologic Technologist in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Radiologic Technologist in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Florida Hospital part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Hospital, great leadership, awesome group of co-workers

Cons

I wish I was full time.

Advice to Management

None.

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Recruitment Strategist in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Recruitment Strategist in Orlando, FL

I worked at Florida Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Teamwork and support from managers

Cons

I can't think of many cons

In IT, they pay well and use advanced technology for a hospital

I have been working at Florida Hospital full-time

Pros

I've been around healthcare IT for a long time and most hospitals are very backward technologically. HITECH is changing that, but FH recognized that earlier and invested in HIT heavily. They do pay well and seldom fire anyone. Layoffs are unheard of. Recently got "Best Hospital in Florida" from US News, "Most Wired", and rated as an excellent place to work by Gallup.

Cons

It is Seventh Day Adventist and that permeates the culture. If you are anti-religious you won't like the constant messages of "Healing ministry of Christ". That being said, I work with atheists, Jews, and Muslims who have been there many years. They talk religion a lot but nothing is forced on you. There's a dress code - khakis and polo shirts, no jeans or uncollared shirts. Though the tech is very good for a hospital, if you come from another industry you may find it a little backward.

Advice to Management

Microsoft is circling the drain. Open source and BYOD are the future. The sooner you realize that the less you'll have to re-architect.

10. I loved the staff and patients at Florida Hospital!

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Tampa, FL

I worked at Florida Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved the staff and patients at Florida Hospital!

Cons

There were no cons; the place is great!

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing!

11. Leadership

Current Employee - Leadership in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Leadership in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Florida Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to grow if you show interest and reach out to do more than is expected. Leaders listen to staff and want to make it a great place to work.

Cons

Fast paced, not for everyone. If you enjoy challenging work, you will like working here, if not, probably shouldn't work here.

Advice to Management

Listen to the staff, be honest about their performance immediately.

RSS Feed </> Embed