Florida Institute of Technology

www.fit.edu

Florida Institute of Technology Reviews

Updated May 2, 2014
Florida Institute of Technology – Melbourne – “Clemente”

Not yet rated.

Anthony James Catanese

Good, but can be so much better.

Finance (Current Employee) Melbourne, FL

ProsIf you work full time you have access to a variety of benefits: health insurance, tuition remission, AT&T discounts, etc.
    People here are friendly for the most part.
    The department I work for is pretty awesome, however we are getting bigger so office space is kinda cramped. Promotions can happen you have to work for it, otherwise you can collect your minimal 11 cent raise in October every year.

ConsIt's really hard to move up within the organization and I would agree there is a bit of nepotism within the university.
    Additionally there are people that you will encounter here that lack drive and proactive-ness.
    Once they punch out they don't care much about making the university a better place (that's not to say they should make it their life) but they just don't seem to care about making Florida Tech a the great school it could potentially be. They're pretty much just sitting around waiting to retire.
    Also the pay kinda stinks, but it stinks in general for the area. I have a master's from a good state school and I relocated here when I married and started out at $14.00 an hour. Stinky. But I'm not starving so really I guess that's a first world problem.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis school has so much potential, but it's held back by so many people just wanting to sit around till they retire. I also think Dr. Catanese needs to go. He's getting senile and isn't growing the university as much as people seem to think he is.

Great place to work and learn

Graduate Student Assistant (Former Employee) Melbourne, FL

ProsGreat place to learn and study

ConsUnderpaid ... Other universities in FL and around the country pay their GSA's more

Advice to Senior ManagementGraduate students deserve to get paid more!

Graduate Student Assistant

Graduate Student Assistant (Former Employee) Melbourne, FL

ProsGood work environment, Excellent Training for the job and good learning resources and opportunities.

ConsNo Medical Insurance support or discount. Low stipends. Excessive bureaucracy not suitable for a small school.

Advice to Senior ManagementA discounted health insurance plan and higher stipends can improve the performance of student workers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work and learn

Graduate Student Assistant (Current Employee) Melbourne, FL

ProsGreat place to learn and study

ConsLow salary compared to the work

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the hourly rate for the Graduate student assistants

Love the job, I have no real complaints.

Graduate Student Assistant (Current Employee) Melbourne, FL

ProsWorking with students is great, they're mostly very competent, particularly those in upper division classes.

There are no real requirements on where and when you work (other than of course teaching the classes themselves), so it makes for a very flexible schedule. (Mileage may vary depending on departments and professors.)

ConsGSAs mostly only teach lab sections in my department. It would be nice for professional development to have greater responsibilities over courses, although I understand the preference for having professors lecture more.

become a growing expert in wireless cumminication engineering

Lab Assistant (Current Employee) Melbourne, FL

Proslearning from various aspect of wireless communication and electrical engineering

Constoo many stuff to learn

Very educational and a great opportunity to learn with great people.

Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee) Melbourne, FL

ProsGood, intelligent people, great office environment to work in and collaborate in, good undergraduate researching program

Consaverage resources, weather, some computers were outdated and some software unavailable, travel reimbursements were never received

Advice to Senior ManagementComplete paperwork for temporary workers before they leave

Florida Institute of Technology is the best!

IT Intern (Former Employee) Melbourne, FL

ProsFlexible work schedule and a lot of learning.

ConsWorking at Florida Tech didn't have many downsides, just one I can think of is...it would be better if supervisor paid more attention.

It's alright!

Student Assistant (Current Employee) Melbourne, FL

ProsThere is nothing special in this place.

ConsThe hourly wage is very low; most full time positions are not salary based.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe full time positions need to be salary based or the hourly wage needs to be increased.

Just okay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNo state income tax in FL

ConsNo tenure track faculty position

Worked for Florida Institute of Technology? Contribute to the Community!