Florida Institute of Technology

4.1

Anthony James Catanese

Excellent Professors and structure of Engineering classes and labs

I worked at Florida Institute of Technology

Pros

Smaller size adds to a better atmosphere and allows the students to shine as individuals instead of feeling like a number.

Cons

Need to update some of the classes and technology to stay current with industry standards.

Understand how technology is being used to today and structure the learning to be more Dynamic as technologies improve and expand.

Office of Residence Life sets itself apart from other parts of the institution.

Former Employee - Resident Assistant  in  Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Resident Assistant in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Florida Institute of Technology as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Interpersonal skills and friendships gained in reslife will be helpful for the rest of your life. Free room and board is awesome compensation. Interviewing and candidate interview process (both taking part in and running it) will help for future job applications. Performance reviews help you learn to better yourself in interesting ways. You learn to interact with so so many different people in a variety of situations. Getting the feeling that you've helped someone is rarely topped.

Cons

First semester will be a transition period and your personal life/academics might take a hit. Time management can be difficult with various on-call parts of the job. Programming and special training can take 20+ hours a week at their worst. Often conflicts with summer internship opportunities.

RA positions are great gigs, but outside of that office students are increasingly treated like numbers. Increased focus on athletics and expanding programs offered has come at a cost seen in percentages of entering classes that graduate in 4 years or at all.

Best Academic Experience at Florida Institute of Technology

I worked at Florida Institute of Technology

Pros

Talented academic professionals that are ready, able, and willing to help any student to achieve their academic goals, Level of diversity is outstanding on campus allowing for excellent interaction with domestic and international students and professors. .

Cons

Limited view of preparing graduates to enter the job market. Yes FIT does have a career assistance program, to include periodic on campus job fairs and job interview training, but they lack a graduate post education follow up program that provides that high tech with a human touch experience.

Place a more fundamental focus on assisting former and future graduates with job career placement and most of all follow up assistance. That I think will be an impressive achievement for a private university that tries to provide an overall experience that is definitely High Tech with A Human Touch.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good, but can be so much better.

Current Employee - Finance  in  Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Finance in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Florida Institute of Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you work full time you have access to a variety of benefits: health insurance, tuition remission, AT&T discounts, etc.
    People here are friendly for the most part.
    The department I work for is pretty awesome, however we are getting bigger so office space is kinda cramped. Promotions can happen you have to work for it, otherwise you can collect your minimal 11 cent raise in October every year.

Cons

It's really hard to move up within the organization and I would agree there is a bit of nepotism within the university.
    Additionally there are people that you will encounter here that lack drive and proactive-ness.
    Once they punch out they don't care much about making the university a better place (that's not to say they should make it their life) but they just don't seem to care about making Florida Tech a the great school it could potentially be. They're pretty much just sitting around waiting to retire.
    Also the pay kinda stinks, but it stinks in general for the area. I have a master's from a good state school and I relocated here when I married and started out at $14.00 an hour. Stinky. But I'm not starving so really I guess that's a first world problem.

This school has so much potential, but it's held back by so many people just wanting to sit around till they retire. I also think Dr. Catanese needs to go. He's getting senile and isn't growing the university as much as people seem to think he is.

Great place to work and learn

Former Employee - Graduate Student Assistant  in  Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Graduate Student Assistant in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Florida Institute of Technology part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to learn and study

Cons

Underpaid ... Other universities in FL and around the country pay their GSA's more

Graduate students deserve to get paid more!

Great place to work and learn

Current Employee - Graduate Student Assistant  in  Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Graduate Student Assistant in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Florida Institute of Technology part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great place to learn and study

Cons

Low salary compared to the work

Increase the hourly rate for the Graduate student assistants

Graduate Student Assistant

Former Employee - Graduate Student Assistant  in  Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Graduate Student Assistant in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Florida Institute of Technology as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Good work environment, Excellent Training for the job and good learning resources and opportunities.

Cons

No Medical Insurance support or discount. Low stipends. Excessive bureaucracy not suitable for a small school.

A discounted health insurance plan and higher stipends can improve the performance of student workers.

Love the job, I have no real complaints.

Current Employee - Graduate Student Assistant  in  Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Graduate Student Assistant in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Florida Institute of Technology part-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with students is great, they're mostly very competent, particularly those in upper division classes.

There are no real requirements on where and when you work (other than of course teaching the classes themselves), so it makes for a very flexible schedule. (Mileage may vary depending on departments and professors.)

Cons

GSAs mostly only teach lab sections in my department. It would be nice for professional development to have greater responsibilities over courses, although I understand the preference for having professors lecture more.

become a growing expert in wireless cumminication engineering

Current Employee - Lab Assistant  in  Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Lab Assistant in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Florida Institute of Technology as an intern for less than a year

Pros

learning from various aspect of wireless communication and electrical engineering

Cons

too many stuff to learn

Very educational and a great opportunity to learn with great people.

Former Employee - Undergraduate Researcher  in  Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Undergraduate Researcher in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Florida Institute of Technology as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Good, intelligent people, great office environment to work in and collaborate in, good undergraduate researching program

Cons

average resources, weather, some computers were outdated and some software unavailable, travel reimbursements were never received

Complete paperwork for temporary workers before they leave

Worked for Florida Institute of Technology? Contribute to the Community!