Florida International University Reviews

1.0
Florida International University President Mark B. Rosenberg
Mark B. Rosenberg
1 Rating

Pros
  • Benefits and work life balance are great (in 9 reviews)

• FIU provides great benefits to it's employees (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, no opportunity for advancement (in 9 reviews)

• There are a lot of politics when making any decisions, cost of living in Miami is high, Summer in Miami can be brutal (in 5 reviews)

1. I Do Not Recommend this Employer

I have been working at Florida International University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really enjoy the people that I work with directly. I am at the Biscayne Bay campus and I like the sense of community there. It is obvious that the professors, advisors, and career development care for the students.

Cons

The pay is awful; experience is not taken into account. I was not given the opportunity to negotiate my salary but took the job anyway because I was extremely interested in the position. Unfortunately, the pay cut has really impacted me financially. This is a cheap university that does not offer any perks. The University of Miami is a much better employer.

2. Very unprofessional; clique mentality.

I worked at Florida International University full-time

Pros

Great students to work with in a lovely setting.

Cons

Unprofessional administrators in a community that treats employees unfairly.

Faculty/ Program manager

I worked at Florida International University (More than a year)

Pros

No Micromanaging. You are left up to your own devices. In my case, this was good as I do not require micromanaging in order to complete my tasks.

Cons

Everything else. The general culture of this institution at its core revolves around two things: 1. making money without regard for dwindling quality of services, and 2.appearances. I would not recommend working at this university to anyone. There is an extremely high turn-over rate and throughout my time there I got to witness just how many of the employees steal money. It's appalling. If you share that you are aware of this activity with department directors, they will fire you because you have now become a liability. Proceed with caution. If you must take this job, get out as quickly as you can and do it for purely selfish reasons.

Advice to Management

When certain activities are brought to your attention by people that you* vetted and hired, address the issue(s). The reputation of your institution depends on it.

Be warned about the electrical engineering department

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Miami, FL

I worked at Florida International University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fellowship pays for college, and the university itself is cheaper than most places.

Cons

The chair of this department is without a doubt the rudest person i have ever worked for! He insults students & workers, plays favorites, and 75% of his employes some of the biggest, whiniest charlatans i have ever met in my life with horrible work ethic. The entire department is a huge mess, and i don't feel like i got a good education here. The guy who trained me had NO idea what he was doing, and ordering stuff was a nightmare. It's almost impossible to get people to follow through on what they are saying. If you are persistant, you might get something done, but you wouldn't make any friends in the process. If you ask people to do there jobs, or follow through on there word, you'll get treated like a jerk because work is soooo horrible. Nobody wants to help you. If you want to do electrical engineering, my strong suggestion is to go elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Listen to students, stop changing the curriculum for the master's program every 5 minutes, and get off your high horse and quit being a jerk!

6. A complete disaster of an organization

Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Miami, FL

I worked at Florida International University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I spent over a year working there and I can honestly say that there are no pros to being employed by FIU Online. There are absolutely no redeeming qualities that I could point to. Every day is worse than the next. Unless you're desperate for a paycheck, you'd be much happier working somewhere else.

Cons

There are too many cons to mention in this small section, but it begins with a total lack of leadership, strategy or competence. The entire management structure of FIU Online is incapable of making a correct decision, on any issue, ever. To offer a comparison, if the management of FIU Online ran a funeral parlor, nobody would die.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to fire themselves if they really care about the quality of the education they're currently offering their online students.

7. Adjuncts receive little respect or consideration from students and university personnel

Current Employee - Online Course Instructor in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Online Course Instructor in Miami, FL

Pros

If you have the right department head, there are opportunities to create your own course as you see fit, particularly if you teach online courses.

Cons

* Apathetic students who disregard information about deadlines and assignment requirements and still expect an A in the course. * Apathetic bureaucracy who seem unable to provide the most basic information or make it easily accessible. * Course technicians who disregard direct instructions or who fail to fulfill their responsibilities or who care more about conformity than what works best for the course. Plus, they're only evaluated once a year instead of every semester, forcing you to wait for problems to get worse over time.

Advice to Management

Treat adjuncts with more respect and give us the opportunity to provide direct feedback on our course technicians.

An Un-bias Review from a Truthful, non-bitter employee

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kendall, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kendall, FL

Pros

There are opportunities for growth as its still very much a growing university. However, it will highly depend on your deparement and which members of management you have over you.

Cons

Its difficult to know where to start. Upper management is under qualified, unprofessional, and not willing to work together for the general "good" of the university, students, or athletic programs. I was amazed by many circumstances where I or others were in need of help and were simply told "thats not my job." If FIU is ever going to get better they need to promote the good employees, get rid of the bad/lazy employees, reward those that work hard and recognize ability. They have a HUGE turnover problem, and attitude problem and no one is competent enough to fix it. Its sad.

Advice to Management

9. Micromanagement, Superiority Complex amongst higher ups in Enrollment Services

Current Employee - Coordinator in Fiu (Ghana)
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Fiu (Ghana)

Pros

Assisting students, professional development courses, tuition waiver, benefits, open courses (free education), ability to self learn by finding resources to take advantage of and transition to employment elsewhere

Cons

Hierarchical and linear approach to management, decisions made with a complete disregard for "subordinate" input, currently moving various full time professional staff members to 8 hour shifts in a onestop call center with little notice to staff, emphasis in "meeting numbers, call quotas," inability to connect with staff members, disinterested in employee concerns, HR no where to be found

Advice to Management

Reach out to your "subordinates" they keep the university going. They have been reduced to fear and demoralizing conditions.

a dead end job

Former Employee - Library Technician
    Former Employee - Library Technician

Pros

if you decide to take classes, part of your tuition is free

Cons

no raises, no encouragement to cross train, and the management are indifferent

Advice to Management

treat your employees with respect

RSS Feed </> Embed