Florida International University Reviews

214 reviews filtered by
3.8
Florida International University President Mark B. Rosenberg
Mark B. Rosenberg

Pros
  • Good work life balance, basically you will be able to have quality time with your family (in 9 reviews)

• FIU has great benefits, including portable retirement benefit, excellent healthcare benefits (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay and lack of opportunity to advance (in 9 reviews)

• compared to peers in other state universities in FL, pay is low when Miami cost of living is high (in 5 reviews)

1. Very unprofessional; clique mentality.

I worked at Florida International University full-time

Pros

Great students to work with in a lovely setting.

Cons

Unprofessional administrators in a community that treats employees unfairly.

Faculty/ Program manager

I worked at Florida International University (More than a year)

Pros

No Micromanaging. You are left up to your own devices. In my case, this was good as I do not require micromanaging in order to complete my tasks.

Cons

Everything else. The general culture of this institution at its core revolves around two things: 1. making money without regard for dwindling quality of services, and 2.appearances. I would not recommend working at this university to anyone. There is an extremely high turn-over rate and throughout my time there I got to witness just how many of the employees steal money. It's appalling. If you share that you are aware of this activity with department directors, they will fire you because you have now become a liability. Proceed with caution. If you must take this job, get out as quickly as you can and do it for purely selfish reasons.

Advice to Management

When certain activities are brought to your attention by people that you* vetted and hired, address the issue(s). The reputation of your institution depends on it.

Be warned about the electrical engineering department

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Miami, FL

I worked at Florida International University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fellowship pays for college, and the university itself is cheaper than most places.

Cons

The chair of this department is without a doubt the rudest person i have ever worked for! He insults students & workers, plays favorites, and 75% of his employes some of the biggest, whiniest charlatans i have ever met in my life with horrible work ethic. The entire department is a huge mess, and i don't feel like i got a good education here. The guy who trained me had NO idea what he was doing, and ordering stuff was a nightmare. It's almost impossible to get people to follow through on what they are saying. If you are persistant, you might get something done, but you wouldn't make any friends in the process. If you ask people to do there jobs, or follow through on there word, you'll get treated like a jerk because work is soooo horrible. Nobody wants to help you. If you want to do electrical engineering, my strong suggestion is to go elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Listen to students, stop changing the curriculum for the master's program every 5 minutes, and get off your high horse and quit being a jerk!

5. A complete disaster of an organization

Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Miami, FL

I worked at Florida International University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I spent over a year working there and I can honestly say that there are no pros to being employed by FIU Online. There are absolutely no redeeming qualities that I could point to. Every day is worse than the next. Unless you're desperate for a paycheck, you'd be much happier working somewhere else.

Cons

There are too many cons to mention in this small section, but it begins with a total lack of leadership, strategy or competence. The entire management structure of FIU Online is incapable of making a correct decision, on any issue, ever. To offer a comparison, if the management of FIU Online ran a funeral parlor, nobody would die.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to fire themselves if they really care about the quality of the education they're currently offering their online students.

6. I can't believe that ANYTHING EVER gets done there!

Former Employee - Computer Technician in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Computer Technician in Miami, FL

I worked at Florida International University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Qualifications are purely hypothetical; if you want to stretch out and try something, it is easy to jump into a new situation and be saddled with new responsibilities regardless of your past experience or areas of expertise. There are few limitations to what you can attempt to do if you know and are liked by the right people.

Cons

You will have no support or resources to do anything and will be blamed for your failures in these obviously impossible situations. There is little accountability and decisions are made for social reasons exclusively, not on any basis of qualification or need. Cliques are strong and politics are constant. While those playing personality games are often too distracted to do them well or to their own (or anyone's)
    benefit, the constant drama-go-round makes for good entertainment only for so long as everyone somehow gets by.

The complete lack professionalism is also stunning; I've witnessed three quarters of a department's staff get fired by e-mail with zero days notice due to a loss of funding caused by poor reviews AND about a million dollars of donated computer equipment destroyed due to inadequate cooling both within the same research project and within the same year.

With the constant threat of catastrophic organizational collapse and the knowledge that the fruits of your labors will be left to rot, this is a place to try something new only if you plan to swiftly move on to something better once you've actually gotten any good at it. You will achieve nothing here. You can only learn.

Put bluntly, nothing that happens here matters at all unless you learn something from it. You will achieve nothing and can have zero impact on anyone or anything else but your own skills. If you go here, act accordingly and do not take it personally.

Advice to Management

You need to read Sun Tzu's The Art of War desperately. All of you. You need to understand it. You do not know that success demands a serious attitude and focus. You put petty considerations and personal bigotries over all other priorities and fail thereby to your own and everyone else's detriment. Until you learn that things outside your own ideas have importance, you will continue to be kings of your dunghills rather than management of an enterprise you can be proud of.

7. Adjuncts receive little respect or consideration from students and university personnel

Current Employee - Online Course Instructor in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Online Course Instructor in Miami, FL

I have been working at Florida International University

Pros

If you have the right department head, there are opportunities to create your own course as you see fit, particularly if you teach online courses.

Cons

* Apathetic students who disregard information about deadlines and assignment requirements and still expect an A in the course.
    * Apathetic bureaucracy who seem unable to provide the most basic information or make it easily accessible.
    * Course technicians who disregard direct instructions or who fail to fulfill their responsibilities or who care more about conformity than what works best for the course. Plus, they're only evaluated once a year instead of every semester, forcing you to wait for problems to get worse over time.

Advice to Management

Treat adjuncts with more respect and give us the opportunity to provide direct feedback on our course technicians.

a dead end job

Former Employee - Library Technician
    Former Employee - Library Technician

I worked at Florida International University

Pros

if you decide to take classes, part of your tuition is free

Cons

no raises, no encouragement to cross train, and the management are indifferent

Advice to Management

treat your employees with respect

An Un-bias Review from a Truthful, non-bitter employee

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kendall, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kendall, FL

I worked at Florida International University

Pros

There are opportunities for growth as its still very much a growing university. However, it will highly depend on your deparement and which members of management you have over you.

Cons

Its difficult to know where to start. Upper management is under qualified, unprofessional, and not willing to work together for the general "good" of the university, students, or athletic programs. I was amazed by many circumstances where I or others were in need of help and were simply told "thats not my job." If FIU is ever going to get better they need to promote the good employees, get rid of the bad/lazy employees, reward those that work hard and recognize ability. They have a HUGE turnover problem, and attitude problem and no one is competent enough to fix it. Its sad.

10. Graduate Assistant

I have been working at Florida International University

Pros

Gives you a lot of opportunity for research and teaching experience along with working with many premier researchers and teachers in the field.

Cons

Florida International University is EXTREMELY unorganized! There is virtually no accountability among the administration and the clerical errors with no easy solutions are never ending.

Advice to Management

Become better organized and hold yourselves accountable when you make mistakes. In a large institution, some things are bound to fall through the cracks, but FIU takes things to a whole new level.

11. Less and less

Current Employee - Associate Professor in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Associate Professor in Miami, FL

I have been working at Florida International University full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Interesting students, lots of exercise walking from the limited parking

Cons

Limited salary and resources, ditsy university administration

Florida International University Photos