Florida International University

Florida International University Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Florida International University President Mark B. Rosenberg

Mark B. Rosenberg

Pros:
  • "Good work/life balance depending on the job"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Great Benefits, Great Holidays and a fair interview process"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Lack of communication between departments"
    in 3 reviews
  • "compared to peers in other state universities in FL, pay is low when Miami cost of living is high"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A complete disaster of an organization

Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Florida International University full-time for more than a year

ProsI spent over a year working there and I can honestly say that there are no pros to being employed by FIU Online. There are absolutely no redeeming qualities that I could point to. Every day is worse than the next. Unless you're desperate for a paycheck, you'd be much happier working somewhere else.

ConsThere are too many cons to mention in this small section, but it begins with a total lack of leadership, strategy or competence. The entire management structure of FIU Online is incapable of making a correct decision, on any issue, ever. To offer a comparison, if the management of FIU Online ran a funeral parlor, nobody would die.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management would be to fire themselves if they really care about the quality of the education they're currently offering their online students.

I can't believe that ANYTHING EVER gets done there!

Computer Technician (Former Employee)

I worked at Florida International University part-time for more than a year

ProsQualifications are purely hypothetical; if you want to stretch out and try something, it is easy to jump into a new situation and be saddled with new responsibilities regardless of your past experience or areas of expertise. There are few limitations to what you can attempt to do if you know and are liked by the right people.

ConsYou will have no support or resources to do anything and will be blamed for your failures in these obviously impossible situations. There is little accountability and decisions are made for social reasons exclusively, not on any basis of qualification or need. Cliques are strong and politics are constant. While those playing personality games are often too distracted to do them well or to their own (or anyone's)
benefit, the constant drama-go-round makes for good entertainment only for so long as everyone somehow gets by.

The complete lack professionalism is also stunning; I've witnessed three quarters of a department's staff get fired by e-mail with zero days notice due to a loss of funding caused by poor reviews AND about a million dollars of donated computer equipment destroyed due to inadequate cooling both within the same research project and within the same year.

With the constant threat of catastrophic organizational collapse and the knowledge that the fruits of your labors will be left to rot, this is a place to try something new only if you plan to swiftly move on to something better once you've actually gotten any good at it. You will achieve nothing here. You can only learn.

Put bluntly, nothing that happens here matters at all unless you learn something from it. You will achieve nothing and can have zero impact on anyone or anything else but your own skills. If you go here, act accordingly and do not take it personally.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to read Sun Tzu's The Art of War desperately. All of you. You need to understand it. You do not know that success demands a serious attitude and focus. You put petty considerations and personal bigotries over all other priorities and fail thereby to your own and everyone else's detriment. Until you learn that things outside your own ideas have importance, you will continue to be kings of your dunghills rather than management of an enterprise you can be proud of.

Adjuncts receive little respect or consideration from students and university personnel

Online Course Instructor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Florida International University

ProsIf you have the right department head, there are opportunities to create your own course as you see fit, particularly if you teach online courses.

Cons* Apathetic students who disregard information about deadlines and assignment requirements and still expect an A in the course.
* Apathetic bureaucracy who seem unable to provide the most basic information or make it easily accessible.
* Course technicians who disregard direct instructions or who fail to fulfill their responsibilities or who care more about conformity than what works best for the course. Plus, they're only evaluated once a year instead of every semester, forcing you to wait for problems to get worse over time.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat adjuncts with more respect and give us the opportunity to provide direct feedback on our course technicians.

a dead end job

Library Technician (Former Employee)

I worked at Florida International University

Prosif you decide to take classes, part of your tuition is free

Consno raises, no encouragement to cross train, and the management are indifferent

Advice to Senior Managementtreat your employees with respect

An Un-bias Review from a Truthful, non-bitter employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Kendall, FL

I worked at Florida International University

ProsThere are opportunities for growth as its still very much a growing university. However, it will highly depend on your deparement and which members of management you have over you.

ConsIts difficult to know where to start. Upper management is under qualified, unprofessional, and not willing to work together for the general "good" of the university, students, or athletic programs. I was amazed by many circumstances where I or others were in need of help and were simply told "thats not my job." If FIU is ever going to get better they need to promote the good employees, get rid of the bad/lazy employees, reward those that work hard and recognize ability. They have a HUGE turnover problem, and attitude problem and no one is competent enough to fix it. Its sad.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management is under qualified, unprofessional, and not willing to work together for the general "good" of the university, students, or athletic programs. I was amazed by many circumstances where I or others were in need of help and were simply told "thats not my job." If FIU is ever going to get better they need to promote the good employees, get rid of the bad/lazy employees, reward those that work hard and recognize ability. They have a HUGE turnover problem, and attitude problem and no one is competent enough to fix it. Its sad.

Plenty of work and even more people out to destroy your good name and reputation.

Miami, FL

I have been working at Florida International University full-time for more than a year

ProsHealth benefits were pretty good

ConsCant pay me enough to endure so much drama and lack of professionalism.

research

Research (Former Employee)

I worked at Florida International University part-time for more than a year

ProsThe school is located in a good city with lots of fun events. There is happy atmosphere in this city and good weather.

Conscontracts are renewed every semester and most of people do not have a long term contract. The payments are very low and there is no benefits or bonuses.

Lower level workers abused

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Florida International University full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGrowing entity; students are respectful and hardworking and you have an opportunity to further your education at no cost.

ConsAdministrative assistants are overworked; when two leave only one is replaced and the other has to do two jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementStamp out favoritism; it smacks of a lack of professionalism.

Great co-workers, lousy pay and admins

Web Developer (Current Employee)
Miami, FL

I have been working at Florida International University full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexible schedule
Great Benefits
Work/life balance
Education - free tution

ConsSalaries are way below average, especially in I.T. sector.

Adjunct Ghetto

Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee)

I worked at Florida International University part-time for more than a year

ProsLarge international study body brings an interesting mix of experience and perspective to the classroom.

ConsLittle freedom to plan or structure my classes. I was required to teach "the program," which required a great expenditure of time for very little pay. Also, there was little support from management when problems with students arose.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are going to require a specific program be taught, then provide standard assignments and lesson plans so each incoming teacher doesn't have to recreate the same wheel. Also, if you raise the class enrollment cap, raise the per class pay.

Worked for Florida International University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Florida International University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Florida International University CEO Mark B. Rosenberg. All 126 reviews posted anonymously by Florida International University employees.